Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 21, 2012 2:14 PM CDT
    • Hi Rob.  Whatsupp?

• March 21, 2012 1:07 PM CDT
    • Exactly!!Need them tooo.

Jon said:

artists I want to one day own every record of include :: The Gories (recently just got outbid on 3 rare Gories 7" up on ebay...), Supercharger, The Mummies, Jay Reatard solo + The Reatards, Cosmic Psychos, The Dirtbombs

• March 21, 2012 10:42 AM CDT
    • I bought How to Play Rock and Roll Combo Organ off ebay and it taught me a lot. It's too bad that book is so hard to find.

The main thing is to learn inversions. For example, both the E chord (E, G#, B) and the A chord (A, C#, E) share a note so why completely move your hand. From E, just move the G# to A and the B to C# and wham!... you're at an A chord. Learning inversions allows you to play fast and keep up with the guitar.

• March 21, 2012 7:08 AM CDT
    • Oh I still love this stuff from Britain .... especially Oasis and Suede. Also Travis ....

• March 20, 2012 7:25 PM CDT
    • I love Jarvis Cocker, especially when he upstaged Michael Jackson. Waggling his arse was a great pop moment!

Talking of the Hacienda, were you into Factory Records? Sadly, it became a victim of organised crime and drug dealers used it as a battleground for turf wars. The police & council forced it to close.

Alison said:

I love New Order and The Stone Roses and as a teenager in the early 90s, I often wished I was partying at the Hacienda instead of languishing in an Atlanta suburb.  I dismissed Oasis as bubblegum singalong. Blur seemed to be the next in line after The Kinks and The Jam to document pure "Britishness" in pop music; however, some of my favorite albums of the time period were: Primal Scream "Screamadelica", Pulp  "Different Class," and Supergrass  "I Should Coco."  The Brit Box is a fun compliation of that era, though inconsistent.   Nowadays I get my Brit fix from the band British Sea Power...

• March 20, 2012 5:35 PM CDT
    • I love New Order and The Stone Roses and as a teenager in the early 90s, I often wished I was partying at the Hacienda instead of languishing in an Atlanta suburb.  I dismissed Oasis as bubblegum singalong. Blur seemed to be the next in line after The Kinks and The Jam to document pure "Britishness" in pop music; however, some of my favorite albums of the time period were: Primal Scream "Screamadelica", Pulp  "Different Class," and Supergrass  "I Should Coco."  The Brit Box is a fun compliation of that era, though inconsistent.   Nowadays I get my Brit fix from the band British Sea Power...

• March 20, 2012 6:24 PM CDT
    • I bought the Rubble 1-10 cd box last week. I guess that doesnt count as its not from a single artist.

I own 10 John Barry 7 45's, 9 Bert Weedon 45's and 8 Sounds Incorporated 45's.  I am still adding to my collection. I love early British Instros.

• March 20, 2012 4:14 PM CDT
    • 1.Lighting/Reverend Beatman & Monsters

2.Hasil Adkins

3.Antiseen

i wont mention the Cramps after seeing this great collection :-D 

• March 20, 2012 5:20 PM CDT
    • Best of the Chocolate Watchband (Rhino) OR Best of the Music Machine (Rhino)

• March 20, 2012 9:41 AM CDT
    • Brilliant stuff! sent somethin to ya already

• March 20, 2012 9:40 AM CDT
    • Nice one Mr.... I shall be checking up those links.

• March 20, 2012 7:05 AM CDT
    • Nick Cave and Bad Seeds did an excellent cover of Running Scared by Orbison on their Kicking Against the Pricks album.

• March 20, 2012 6:01 AM CDT
    • Ok, just to keep the mill running:

The Motors with TILL I FELL IN LOVE WITH YOU (which I think does this justice greatly in a psychodelic fashion).

The Spliffs with CLAUDETTE (a fun live version - never heard of these guys before, well same as the Motors)

• March 20, 2012 5:01 AM CDT
    • That sounds so damn brilliant!

Alex said:

"David Comes to Life" by Fucked Up is a complete rock opera that is quite good.  But what's even cooler is that the band also released a companion LP called "David's Town" in which they copied the style of about 15 different made up bands that were from the town where the fictional "David" grew up.  Each band was a fake band with a made up back story and different style (all punk and punk-ish), but they were really all performed by Fucked Up.

• March 20, 2012 12:26 AM CDT
    • When I was in Austin last week I found a used copy of The Billy Childish Native American Sampler: A History 1983-1993. It's a collection of songs and poems about native Americans, including lots of surfy instrumentals.

• March 19, 2012 10:19 PM CDT
    • I thought it was; 'wrapped up like a douche"

John Battles said:

Yeah , I thought IT WAS "DEUCE" , BECAUSE , BACK IN THE "70'S" , THE OTHER WORD SEEMED TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE ON THE RADIO, though they probably say it as much as "The " , now. .....BUT , I heard Bruce Springsteen's original version and he REALLY sounded like he was saying "Wrecked up like a DOUCHE".

THERE WAS AN ARTICLE IN "BUDDY " MAGAZINE (DALLAS /FT. WORTH)  ABOUT SONGS THAT THEY COULD'NT BELIEVE GOT AIRPLAY - Obvious ones like "Walk on The Wild Side" and less obvious censor - testers like "Miracles" by Jefferson Starship.....Turns out , if you can get thru about six minutes of the painful dirge , it says something about "Remember whenI went down on yoooouuu..." , but , that was intentional....The article listed "Blinded By The Light", as well.

• March 19, 2012 7:06 PM CDT
    • Yeah , I thought IT WAS "DEUCE" , BECAUSE , BACK IN THE "70'S" , THE OTHER WORD SEEMED TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE ON THE RADIO, though they probably say it as much as "The " , now. .....BUT , I heard Bruce Springsteen's original version and he REALLY sounded like he was saying "Wrecked up like a DOUCHE".

THERE WAS AN ARTICLE IN "BUDDY " MAGAZINE (DALLAS /FT. WORTH)  ABOUT SONGS THAT THEY COULD'NT BELIEVE GOT AIRPLAY - Obvious ones like "Walk on The Wild Side" and less obvious censor - testers like "Miracles" by Jefferson Starship.....Turns out , if you can get thru about six minutes of the painful dirge , it says something about "Remember whenI went down on yoooouuu..." , but , that was intentional....The article listed "Blinded By The Light", as well.

• March 19, 2012 6:44 PM CDT
    • Manfred Man: Blinded by the light. The lyric is revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night. For years I thought they were singing Rolled up like a douche.

• March 19, 2012 6:02 PM CDT
    • Mike ,   no , it was'nt here....An English guy and MYSELF , WE WERE DISCUSSING IT, somewhere else. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SPECIFIC. But , yeah , Ducks Deluxe were one of the earlier Pub Rock bands .Their Guitarist , Sean Tyla , caried on in the same tradition under his own name and as Tyla Gang (On Stiff , Skydog and other labels.). Nine Below Zero came out a little later. They're in an episode of "The Young Ones". But , I don't have any of their records ,tho' they turn up occasionally. Another , little known , Pub Rock group was Mean Mr. Mustard. I met one of the former members of the band , which toured with Dr. Feelgood , at a Troggs show , but he's since passed away , unfortunately.

• March 19, 2012 5:50 PM CDT
    • (Last line) My stomach was full as it could be , and no one ever got around to finding Timothy."

hicksville hogwash said:

"sell his soul for a piece of meat"...  lol.  I think the music does not match the lyrical content, I wanna chew the violin players arm off right now...  Thanks for polluting my life for 3 minutes John.

• March 19, 2012 5:43 PM CDT
    • Gary Panter said this happened in Texas Hall in 76 in Arlington , Texas...Tex Edwards said it was at Moody Collisseum in 73 in Dallas , if I remember rightly....

The event was a T Rex show. I've got a book that lists all their US gigs , and they were'nt listed as having ever played Texas Hall (A great venue , BTW.).

"Fan" : Marc ! You look like SHIT !

Marc Bolan : You'd look like shit , too , if you'd FUCKED as many people as I have .

• March 19, 2012 2:30 PM CDT
    • Sorry so late with this reply, but some labels that spring to my mind that dig the psychedelic stuff as much as the garage stuff would be Trouble in Mind Records in Chicago and Off the Hip in Australia. A few others: Woodsist Records, Sacred Bones Records, Castle Face...