Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 3, 2012 7:45 AM CST
    • I believe the Radioblivian podcast created one of these a couple years back.

Eric Christensen said:

A way to listen to the podcast and to check your profile/discussions is all you need.

• February 2, 2012 11:27 PM CST
    • A way to listen to the podcast and to check your profile/discussions is all you need.

• February 2, 2012 9:14 AM CST
    • Did you ever make any headway with this, Andy? Just curious...

Andyuzz said:

No worries - I'm not promising anything at the mo (and if no-one wants one I won't waste my time!), and yes, RSS feed would be the way forward

• February 3, 2012 5:20 AM CST
    • Most of my favorite local bands are history, so there isn't much happening around here.  The only thing I have to look forward to anymore is the occasional Cynics' gig.

• February 3, 2012 12:23 AM CST
    • There's a lot of stuff I could'nt care less about , BUT......

The Dyes (2/3rds PURTY gals) - Cramps , Wanda Jackson , Bad Girl - era Jackie De Shannon , Sonics  , Link Wray and their own thang , brought to a boil. Horror Films , Rat Fink , Aurora Models , Kicks Magazine , Lucha Libre , Chicago's rockin' like it's 1987 , and Wax Trax Records is still open.

Patti Elvis (She's not on my team , but she's in my league) - Drag King Elvis interpreter , with the shades of 70's K-Tel and Tom Jones . What'd El Vez say ? Some call her Elvis , some name her Rey(na) , it don't make no difference if you're Straight or Gay. SHE'S ABOUT A MOVER , SHE'S THE GROOVER ! SHE CAME , SHE SAW , SHE BROUGHT VEGAS BACK FROM THE DEAD.

Iggy Yoakum - After a 10 - year "Liqourmission" , Chicago's greatest Country Band ( Since The Sundowners , anyway.) is back , kicking asses , and taking smokes and free drinks , where they can. I'm not talkin' Insurgent Country (Which was neither.) , I'm talkin' the URGENT COUNTRY. Hardcore , Jerry Lee Lewis on Smash , Honky Tonk. Damn fine playing and songwriting. Plus a sense of humor Chicago Country missed.

Polkaholics - They're like VERY early Brave Combo , IF they'd held Johnny Thunders up there with Lil' Wally. A VERY INTERACTIVE LIVE SHOW. You WILL see bar walking , crowd - prowling , and sometimes , even mid - song bowling . They come on like they're lushes , but they are seasoned pros. It's hard not to have fun at a Polkaholics gig , unless it's a depressing dive like Red Line Tap.

Rockin' Johnny - Coooooooool - ass hep White Boy that plays the HELL out of those Blues. Not Pussy Blues , as featured at Kingston Mines and Bluesfest , but , Blues with a bite - Ike Turner , Lowell Fulsom , Earl Hooker , Otis Rush , early Muddy Waters , that sorta thang. Second guitarist , Rick , played with Muddy Waters and B.B. King.

NEW COLONY SIX - TAKING A BREAK FROM THE DEPRESSING  FAIR CIRCUIT GRIND , CHICAGO GARAGE/POP LEGENDS TESTED THE WATERS WITH A FANTASTIC ALL - GARAGE SET . EVERY SONG YOU COULD HAVE WANTED TO HEAR , AND NONE THAT YOU DID'NT. IT WAS'NT JUST GOOD , IT WAS ? AND THE MYSTERIANS - GOOD . WHETHER IT'LL HAPPEN AGAIN , I DON'T REALLY KNOW.  

• February 2, 2012 9:05 PM CST
    • Who is currently hot in you hometown?  Plug your favorite local surf/garage/psych weirdo/punk/power poppers here.  I live in Atlanta:

Hip To Death

Ghost Bikini

Biters

• February 3, 2012 1:49 AM CST
    • THERE WAS AN EPISODE OF "CHIC - A - GO GO" DEDICATED TO THE WORST VIDEOS THE PDIRECTOR , JAKE AUSTEN , COULD FIND...it may be on their You Tube channel..... I just remember a Spice Girls parody called "The Slice Girls". "I'll tell you who to haunt , who to really , really haunt! .....clever ,no?". At least the video featured (I think ) Brinke Stevens , Debbie Rochon and Michelle Bauer, Dressed as a vampire , a mummy and .....something else. Theideo is TERRIBLE , but , visually speaking , I had NO problem.......

• February 3, 2012 12:15 AM CST
    • wicked thanks to those who contributed. Ill bee sending stuff on...

Itd be great if this list could be further developed and made sticky or something though.

• February 2, 2012 9:50 PM CST
    • Jackie Wilson and LaVern Baker-Think Twice

Andre Williams-Poor Mr. Santa (Naughty Version)

Swingin Neckbreakers-Live for Buzz

• February 2, 2012 7:01 PM CST
    • "When the rumors went around that I did it to my girl last night , when all we did , that time , was watch the movies and go home and fight"

"When I take a sip of cocoa , and pretty soon , I'm feelin' free. And when I asked him how he made it , he made it out of LSD!"

If this record had sold more than 40 copies , lines like these , and the title , might have kept it from being released at all.    I still think it's one of the better later "Grave " songs.

The Frankenstein Five said:

"That's Queer" by The NEw Fugitives (Back From the Grave) : "My father calls me black boy, but really I'm as white as a ghost". Jeesh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ59NVuZ3p0

• February 2, 2012 6:57 PM CST
    • Yeah , you're right . This was from the late 50's , when "Davy Crockett" was like God , and Joe Tex was one of the better Little Richard proteges.

swt said:

Ona recent episode of The Big Enchilada, I played "Davy, You Upset My Home" by Joe Tex. It's about a guy who's jealous because his girl is really into Davy Crockett. (I think this is from the late '50s when Davy Crockett was a very popular TV show.)

The girl even buys Davy Crockett false teeth because, Joe sings, "I punched her in the mouth last night."

Another line: "I whipped her so until she went insane. And now she wants to buy herself a Davy Crockett brain."

• February 2, 2012 6:55 PM CST
    • I heard about the time GG Allin came back from the dead at a Goblins show , at The Empty Bottle in Chicago. The singer , Phantom Creeper , was aghast. "OH , NO! HE'S POOPING ON THE AUDIENCE ! OH , THE HUMANITY!".....It was only chocolate puddin'.   

Andrew Malcolm said:

Well... anything by GG Allin. This video is very tame, compared to what normally goes on at one of his shows.

• February 2, 2012 9:06 PM CST
    • Loved the Shirts -- great live.

Boston: The New Models (Casey Lindstrom guitarist -- he's the guy playing the lead on "Something to Grab For" (Ocasek). If you ever heard Casey play, you'd recognize it immediately. Fabulous live. Their record, if you like that sorta thang, is worth a listen. Really obscure: The Lifters.

Chicago: powerpop/punk/whatever would be Epicycle. I've got a copy of a pretty good article 'bout them but link is gone now. Good thing I saved that. Because of their age, the crowd could sometimes be pretty wild.

Also,  Screaming Rachel Cain and the Remote (they were fun live)

Melissa

• February 2, 2012 12:00 PM CST
    • Thank you that man!

kopper said:

THE EMBROOKS

• February 2, 2012 10:50 AM CST
    • That is pretty much a fromage bleu stinker....  the lyrics are fantastique though.

• February 2, 2012 8:11 AM CST
    • Cool!

• February 1, 2012 11:14 PM CST
    • Funny, ol' mate I ave two copies of this too.  Real fab, top notch cheese n' onion, ready salted dance floor filler.  And no I have not 'eard the PG Tips freakbeat. 

Bry Nylon said:

ha ha you're the boss ... that's the ticket !!! - well done & too right !!! - I have duplicate copies of this one so as when I DJ [ albeit far too occassionally now...]  I can seg 'em spin 'em out forever - fab-gear A1 top class rubbish !!! ; )... have you ever heard the Brooke Bond  PG tips freakbeat 45 ? ... if not I'll try and dig it out and upload it here ( although it may take me a while to find again in this teetering trashmount ; ) - anyway... it's guaranteed 100% floor killer ... [green label / gold writing / and i think it just says BROOKE BOND PG TIPS on the label / possibly one of those lyntone style 45's - whatever next eh ? ]   ssssssssssssh

• February 1, 2012 10:49 PM CST
    • Dance the Slurp - a 7-Eleven promotional thing.

• February 1, 2012 10:42 PM CST
    • This one is waaay up there on the HOLY SHIT! Really? List:

• February 1, 2012 10:41 PM CST
    • The Ad is probably cooler than the free disc you could get by sending in your empty packets.  Here is the two sides for your tasting.

....Oh and for you Americans crisps are potato chips.

• February 1, 2012 10:32 PM CST
    •  

Here is one of two Advertising flexi's I own, I seem to remember the flip is pretty cool too but can't find a version from this one.

• February 2, 2012 7:12 AM CST

•  

22th february 2012 - REVES DE CUIR / LEATHER DREAMS

download it !

Tracklist :

Primates : Fouettez les filles
      Devo : Whip it
      Diano Ross & The Supremes : I can't get no satisfaction
      The Cramps : Sado county auto show
      Serge Gainsbourg : 12 belles dans la peau
      Les Spadassins : L'effet que ça fait
      Iggy & the Stooges : Gimme some skin
      The Sex Pistols : Submission
      Les Cavaliers : Attache moi
      Richard Gotainer : La ballade de l'obsédé
      Archie Bells & the Drells: Thighten up
      Edith Nylon : Sado maso
      The Velvet underground : Venus in furs
      Comix : Touche pas mon sexe
      Miss Kittin & the Hacker : Franck Sinatra
      Non! : Je suis une fille

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15th february 2012 - DANSEZ LE SIRTATWIST - 99% greek garage bands !!!

download it !

Tracklist :

The Storms : Drums in the storm
      The Ducky Boyz : Money
      Genital Hospital (USA) : Cops comin' in
      ost Ksipolitos Prigips : Spider Shake
      Yesterday thoughts : I don't care about you
      The Mongrelettes : Take it easy
      Dr Albert Flipout one can band : Nickels & dimes
      The Knacks : Theme of the day
      Aleka kanelidou : Crazy girls
      The Girls : Rocket for girls
      The Frantic V: Room 409
      700 Machines : Rumble in the jungle
      The Last Drive : Night of the phantom
      The Clash : Police on my back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1rst february 2012 - QUESTION ?

download it !

Tracklist :

Les Lutins : Je cherche
      Marc Hamilton : La question
      Ballroom Farm : Question of temperature
      Antoine : Qu'est ce qui ne tourne pas rond chez moi ?
      Brigands : Would I still be her big man ?
      Nancy Sinatra : How does that grab you darlin' ?
      Les Z : Pourquoi
      The Panics : What'd i say
      The Other Half : What can I do for you ?
      Aqua Nebula Oscillator :Can you see ?
      Berthe : Comment passer à la télé ?
      The Preachers : Who do you love ?
      The Waistcoast : What's in it for me ?
      The Remains : Why do I cry
      Ronnie Bird : Où va t elle ?
      The Haunted : Pourquoi ?
      The Unrelated Segments : where you gonna go ?
      The Yardbirds : Oh baby what's wrong with you ?
      Them : Baby what you want me to do ?
      The Shakespears : What happened ?
      Michel polnareff : Sous quelle etoile suis je né ?

25 january 2012 - la machine is back !!

download it !

Tracklist :

OTH
      Cococoma
      The wild weekend
      The shirley maclaines
      Les chaussettes noires
      Gary Shelton
      Inutile
      David peel & the lower east side
      One switch to collision
      Climax
      Daniela casa
      Non!
      The shirley maclaines
      Inutile
      Cococoma
      Fantastic emanons
      Little richard
      Reverend beat man

• February 1, 2012 10:58 PM CST
    •  I dunno , The Brood , The Sirens (They've since grown a pair , actually , two , and I like 'em just as well.) ,The Friggs , Barbie Army , mmmmmMo-Dettes , Mescaline Drive , The Pleasure Seekers , The Pandoras , Girlschool ,The Runaways , Las Mosquitas , Wanton Looks , Sit'n'Spin , others.....

• February 1, 2012 10:39 PM CST
    • So OK already  [ this string ain't about perving to video's - so why not get over it and check out the music instead ]... I'm surely biased, as m'Lady was in a whole heap of girl bands in the 80's / 90's... but we've seen this band play live... and they are still way out ahead as our A1 number 1 top-fab favourite all girl band so far -

What's yours ?

Tits of Death - Iron Nipples