Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 28, 2012 4:40 AM CST
    • And I meant Wet wet fucking Wet! first chance Ive had to get back on here and correct myself!

Lets hope he does get better JB, im now going th play 'our love will still be there' and 'lost little girl' and hope it helps!

• January 27, 2012 2:43 PM CST
    • Underrated is the word , Mark George. I still like "Wild Thing" , but , it's nowhere NEAR their best song , in my estimation. There's a handfull of bands like them left , Pretty Things , Downliners Sect.....who still have that kind passion and aggression. You can see VERY recent Troggs footage on youtube , and know that they never lost it.

I asked Reg , how do you keep it fresh , after all these years? He said , we'll go on holiday for about a month , maybe , and when you come back , you just sort of GO for it , cos you've got NERVES , and 99 out of 100 times , even , it's like  that. We still like each other, personally , and we enjoy playing , and that's what keeps you going.

iF YOU DON'T LOVE IT , WHY BOTHER? AND , REG REALLY LOVED IT. It would be great if , on some level , he could get back to it, but , the bottom line is , just kicking Cancer's ass.

It CAN be done.

Mark George Harrison said:

A much underrated band The Troggs, shame they only get remembered for 'wild thing' which is treated as a novelty!

An even bigger shame is that it took Bryan Fucking Adams to make Reg any money(which he then apparently spent researching crop circles!)

Good luck and God bless ya Reg

• January 27, 2012 10:25 AM CST
    • A much underrated band The Troggs, shame they only get remembered for 'wild thing' which is treated as a novelty!

An even bigger shame is that it took Bryan Fucking Adams to make Reg any money(which he then apparently spent researching crop circles!)

Good luck and God bless ya Reg

• January 28, 2012 4:23 AM CST
    • Once I'm over VENTIL and Trace Adkins I might remember what I came here for, haha.

• January 27, 2012 7:18 PM CST
    • At least they wore their dress sweatpants.... sweet

• January 27, 2012 4:56 PM CST
    • Dio- last in Line/ Holy Diver
      Great music, cheesy, crappy videos.

• January 28, 2012 4:23 AM CST
    • I forgot to mention its Volume 3 of the series that I own. The rest of the cd is actually pretty good but that 1st track is just shit hot!

Chris Henniker said:

I've been hearing about this compilation ans seeing it in Rough Trade, up in Brick Lane.

Hi Class Joes said:

I bought a cd recently called Rare mod on Acid Jazz. There's alot of ropey tracks on it but the opening track by the Montana's called 'Open the Door' is a real stormer. Check it out!

• January 27, 2012 4:22 PM CST
    • I've been hearing about this compilation ans seeing it in Rough Trade, up in Brick Lane.

Hi Class Joes said:

I bought a cd recently called Rare mod on Acid Jazz. There's alot of ropey tracks on it but the opening track by the Montana's called 'Open the Door' is a real stormer. Check it out!

• January 27, 2012 1:54 PM CST
    • I bought a cd recently called Rare mod on Acid Jazz. There's alot of ropey tracks on it but the opening track by the Montana's called 'Open the Door' is a real stormer. Check it out!

• January 28, 2012 4:18 AM CST
    • Hello Nick. I used to play the drums in a Ska/Punk band here in the UK called Spanner. Look for the song called Punk As Fuck on Youtube. Our LP/CD is dsitributed in North America by Insurgence records from Canada.

• January 27, 2012 4:43 PM CST
    • So I've been listening to some 90s ska punk and was wondering if any new bands have that sound. Thanks!

• January 28, 2012 2:34 AM CST
    • It's about time, haha! I can't wait to get this and see what Howie and everyone else is putting up with inside of this issue. Howie, if I, let's say secretly, give you five spider legs and two black lagoon claws, can you give us some inside scoop on issues 2 to 12?

PS: And out very own Ken Eppstein wrote that review, way to go!

• January 27, 2012 7:35 PM CST
    • Get a left/right mic input tape recorder (or a 4-track with only two mics plugged in, each one panned all the way to left or right). Put each mic on a mic stand at opposite ends of the room. Record everything live.

• January 27, 2012 7:16 PM CST
    • JW recorded De Stijl in his house with cheap equipment. Chances are, the more expensive your studio is, the less likely you are to get a 'lo-fi' sound. Best bet is to go DIY and make do with poor conditions, that requires a lot of know-how though. If you have a lot of time to experiment then you should record the raw tracks yourself and maybe get a pro to mix them for you.

That 'magic, awful sound' is going to be a combination of good songwriting, a well produced record, and recording with the musicians who have the right feel. It's a lot more than just going to the right place.

• January 27, 2012 5:16 PM CST
    • I'm trying to record an EP for my 3 piece garage punk band and I want looooooo-fi. Those albums are my top 3 inspirations for recording, but I don't know shit about recording. I live in NYC, so I have access to awesome studios, but I can't tell who's blowing smoke up my ass when they say "lo-fi". What should I be looking for? What questions should I be asking? Is there anything I can do myself?

• January 27, 2012 4:26 PM CST
    • You should just download for free. Here are some great songs! www.reverbnation.com/tennesseescum ... there are links to other low level trash bands. thats the best thing you could do in my opinion. it's easy for large bands, with established fans and a following, to get people to listen to their music and get discovered. Give the new guys a chance! thanks

• January 27, 2012 3:45 PM CST
    • BTW, I just remembered something...Andy Babiuk now has his own musical instrument and gear store, so maybe he wanted to call it quits so he could focus on his business.  This is just my guess.

• January 27, 2012 2:42 PM CST
    • I'm really sorry to hear that you never got to see them live.  Like I said, I didn't really take notice of them until 2004, when I first saw them at Little Steven's festival in NYC, but I got to see them live two more times after that.

doornail said:

That is horrible news!!!! The Chesterfield Kings were one of the most amazing garage rock bands ever.  I remember buying that first 45of the cover tune, I Ain't No Miracle Worker back in 81, and I never looked back.  The only thing was I was never able to see them live. 

• January 27, 2012 2:41 PM CST
    • I'm also very sorry to hear about this.  I really didn't get into them until I saw them in November 2006 during one of Little Steven's Rolling Rock tours.  I bought "Mindbending Sounds" shortly afterward from Wicked Cool Records, and later I bought "Psychedelic Sunrise," their first original release on Wicked Cool, which I really loved.  Later on I bought "Lets Go Get Stoned," which I also really liked, and again I have Little Steven to thank for that, because the band played several songs from that album on a live CD/DVD released by Wicked Cool, which made me want to get it.  I also saw them at Halloween a Go Go in 2007 at the Hawaiian Tropic Zone in NYC, and that was another great show.

Yes, I've heard stories from a former drummer of the Cynics that the CKs can be real assholes, especially Gregg Prevost, but it doesn't change the fact that they made some great music.

I'll bet Gregg Kostelich is giggling about this, because he's been on a warpath with the CKs for quite some time.

• January 27, 2012 3:15 PM CST
    •   It IS true , via Music Hall , The British have had a tradition of...ummm...yeah , Draggin' it up a bit , but , for laughs , you know. That all carried itself through Monty Python (Whose one Gay member , Graham Chapman , was at his best playing the "Butch" , authoritarian roles.), and goes back to Old Mother Riley and others..... But , our English Brothers were no dummies.

I read about when Bowie was assembling The Spiders From Mars band , he told Mick Ronson , look , you've got to wear makeup and glittery clothes onstage , as I do. Ronson was'nt havin' it , being from a bricklaying town like Hull. But , David assured him , if you do this , you'll have more women then you'll know what to do with. Of course , he was right. 

The androgeny thing has always appealed to women as well as.....girls. I know the BULK of Bolan's following would have been 13 years old , but , I think enough people that were old enough to buy ALBUMS realized , T-Rex , Roxy Music , Sweet , Slade , Bowie , the lot of 'em , put out fine albums as well as singles. Maybe some were merely "Closet" Glam Rock fans.    Obviously , Bolan had a very far - reaching appeal. Surely , women liked him , men liked him , too ,  Mums and Grands thought he was such a nice boy . He was like Elvis , on the surface , rebellious , and , yet ,  totally non - threatening. Men dug Elvis , if not in a homoerotic fashion (As some did , obviously) , in his day , because he was so fucking cool. The same was true of Marc. How cool WAS he ? Famously , an audience member at a  T-Rex show in Texas said , "Hey , Marc , you look like shit !"    "You'd  look like shit , too , if you'd FUCKED as many people as I have.".  

I saw Marc's old lady a couple of years ago , BTW. Still beautiful.

• January 27, 2012 2:44 PM CST
    • A lot of the Oi bands were influenced by glam and music hall too, like The Gonads (being from South London, I'm stating the obvious local example). You've reiterated what I said about musical divisions, with kids being into one thing or the other. Football fans dressing up as Alice Cooper or Bowie being indicative of this. As a teenager,  I was an indie kid and my sis liked dance music and early jungle. Perhaps it shows there's no such thing as a typical teenage music.

A lot of indie has an English approach, especially the mod influenced and cutie stuff. No wonder why Go Sailor or anything on Thee SPC doesn't fly in the US.

matthew rosedon said:

Thanks for the responses to my Why glam meant next to nothing in the US query.

Some further thoughts:

The UK has a tradition of camp theatricality from the music hall and the pantomime.  It's often said that the average Englishman can't wait to drag up.  This is reflected in The Kinks, Madness, the Smiths and many others who are quintessentially English in their approach (I know the Kinks enjoyed American success but not in their 'English' period of 1965-71 approx.)  Perhaps this doesn't translate across the Atlantic beyond cult status.  When I think of mainstream US rock of the early 70s names like Lynryd Sknyrnd and the Doobie Brothers spring to mind - music (I use the term loosely) and image as far away from The Sweet and Roxy Music as it's possible to get.  Perhaps good old fashioned prejudice played a part whereby glam was seen as limey faggot music and not rawk.

Like punk a few years after, glam was reaction music - reaction against the grey and dreary 70s that was life in England, and also a reaction against the grey and dreary music of Pink Floyd, Yes etc.  A generation gap was opening up in popular music in the UK where your big brother listened to prog rock and wore an ex-army greatcoat while your kid sister had pictures of Bolan on her bedroom wall and wore glittery make-up.

To ask another question:  Glam rock was teenage music.  If glam meant next to nothing in the US what was a 13 year old listening to in Montana or Massachusetts in 1973?  Did a specific teenage music still exist?

• January 27, 2012 11:56 AM CST
    • yeah,there is improvement ,but there is still a LOOONG way to go:in 1992,when i bought my first PRS,the guys in the store(Paris) were outraged that i'd dare to buy a pricey all-hand made american guitar and even dared to ''advise'' me to opt for $200 fender rather than begin on a classy PRS.Ah.

i was told sooooooo many times,''oohh you play leads too?''ect,ect,that kind of crap.But it also has changed.Slowly but surely,and this is thank to cool guys who leave us alone doing our shit and people like Joan Jett (among others) who open doors and pave the way.

7jdh14 said:

Not a lady here, but I'm loving St. Vincent's guitar playing right now -- and I'm seeing other guys liking it too.

It's getting better, but there's still a ways to go.

• January 27, 2012 6:34 AM CST
    • LYCANTHIA FROM SYDNEY :)