Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 30, 2012 10:01 AM CST
    • What's it like to be immortal Howie? Congratulations.

• January 30, 2012 9:34 AM CST
    • Checkout the Swedish band: The Liptones. They have a couple of good releases.

• January 30, 2012 9:23 AM CST
    • Saw them many times at the Cavern Club in Los Angeles in the '80s. These guys were really great players! I think they were from La Habra - I remember that because I have relatives from that city. The front man was called Steve Crabtree who wrote all the songs. The drummer, Roy McDonald went on to play with Redd Kross. Colored Heaven was there first record and I think it must have been on Voxx records. I believe they did two records after this one - 'Outside My Window' and then 'The Things'. I was always in awe of these guys because their musical ability/songwriting skills were leaps above lots of other bands on the scene.

• January 30, 2012 8:41 AM CST
    • Anybody heard of a band called The Things 'Colored Heaven' album released in 1984? Great record and want to find out more about the band's other realeases.

Thanks

JD

• January 29, 2012 5:41 PM CST
    • Ode To Joy - The Deadly Snakes or anything by Jackie Shane you can get your hands on!

• January 29, 2012 5:11 PM CST
    • Niiiice one!

Alison said:

• January 29, 2012 5:39 PM CST
    •  iF ANYONE'S READING THIS....i FINALLY FOUND BROWN'S LAST STUDIO CD , WHICH i DON'T THINK WAS EVER RELEASED IN THE STATES . It's very good , more acoustic , but , his voice still reaches for the cosmos , only to return for a lager or two at the pub....

• January 29, 2012 10:00 AM CST
    • Hey there Fuzzmeister,

The Texreys split...the usual band BS (yawn).

Me and Eddy had a blast playing together, so we started the new band.

Cheers

Wig

Fuzzmeister said:

What happened to the Tex-Reys?

• January 29, 2012 8:59 AM CST
    • Yeah, once REM "happened", it seemed to start defining "college radio". It seems like quite a few bands (especially in regions of North Carolina and Athens, GA) had to have the jangle pop sound. Of course, REM started ditching their signature sound and started moving more towards a contemporary rock sound, which I just didn't like. For me personally, their first three albums are their best work.

I also like Chris Stamey's style, his music and album producing ventures...

John Battles said:

I'm just here to see how other people define this stuff.....I think , by the mid - 80's , just about every city had one or two.... In Dallas (Not a city.)  , there was The Trees , End over End , Three on a Hill , Howling Dervishes , all of whom , I think , had that sound , to some degree , particularly the former. In 1986 , man , every band in America sounded like REM for 15 minutes.     But , I think The Droogs and the Chris Wilson - era Flamin' Groovies also had their feet in that pond before the majority of those bands formed.

• January 28, 2012 3:49 PM CST
    • I'm just here to see how other people define this stuff.....I think , by the mid - 80's , just about every city had one or two.... In Dallas (Not a city.)  , there was The Trees , End over End , Three on a Hill , Howling Dervishes , all of whom , I think , had that sound , to some degree , particularly the former. In 1986 , man , every band in America sounded like REM for 15 minutes.     But , I think The Droogs and the Chris Wilson - era Flamin' Groovies also had their feet in that pond before the majority of those bands formed.

• January 28, 2012 8:06 PM CST
    • 1-27-12

Download or stream the entire Jan. 27 show right here. Find Zero Hour on Facebook here.

Justify – Left Lane Cruiser
      Harlan County – Jim Ford
      The Gun Slinger – Jack Reeves
      Marshall, Marshall – Gar Bacon
      Down in the Mine – Peter Nelson & the Castaways
      Justify – BBQ

Zero Hour (live) – The Plimsouls
      Maybe Tonight – The Go Wows
      How Do You Spell Love – Bobby Patterson
      Who’s Gonna Rock Your Baby – Barrence Whitfield & the Savages
      Hunting for the Dead – Kill, Baby, Kill

Bored of Love – Steve Adamyk Band
      Crime in the City – Adam Widener
      Tide – Mikal Cronin
      The Head – Guided By Voices
      Nobody Spoil My Fun – The Seeds
      Bag of Spiders – Slumber Party
      Don’t Leave Me – The Conspirators

Local Lunchbox
      Make You Love Me – The Sugar Stems
      Stop Your Sobbing – Holly & the Nice Lions
      Do You Know What I’m Doin’ – Ramma Lamma

Creepy Jackalope Eye – The Supersuckers
      Dial Tones – The Hook Up
      Take Your Life – Swingin’ Neckbreakers
      Are You For Real, Girl – The Mystic Five
      Buggin’ Around – The Creeping Ivies
      Feelin’ Alive – The Cavestompers
      Bull’s Eye – The GTV’s

Alive/Naturalsound tribute
      Paul Collins in-studio interview

Don’t Blame Your Troubles on Me – Paul Collins
      USA – The Breakaways
      Million Miles Away (live) – the Plimsouls

Get Out While You Can – Outrageous Cherry
      Up From the Underground – Occult Detective Club
      I’ll Be Your Man – The Black Keys
      My Babe – T-Model Ford

Suicide Blues – Brimstone Howl
      The Stranger – Radio Moscow
      Kill City – Iggy Pop & James Williamson
      Fool for You – The Turpentine Brothers
      Safe Effect – Gardens

Black Box Blues – The Bloody Hollies
      Gimme Me Back My Morphine – Henry’s Funeral Shoes
      Everything You Took – Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires
      You Are the One – Nathaniel Mayer
      Happy – The Sights
      You’re My Girl - Hacienda

• January 28, 2012 4:32 PM CST
    • Incidentally, one of my friends is a psychiatrist.

Psychiatric Consultations said:

Remember Me This Way,  seeems oh so ironic.

I would go.

• January 28, 2012 4:02 PM CST
    • Remember Me This Way,  seeems oh so ironic.

I would go.

• January 28, 2012 4:04 PM CST
    • NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I want you      I need You  

fight it.

• January 28, 2012 3:23 PM CST
    • Bryan Adams , Wet Wet fucking Wet Wet Wet , same difference ! HA HA HA ! Playing his music does help , I believe.

Mark George Harrison said:

And I meant Wet wet fucking Wet! first chance Ive had to get back on here and correct myself!

Lets hope he does get better JB, im now going th play 'our love will still be there' and 'lost little girl' and hope it helps!

• January 28, 2012 3:30 PM CST
    • Yes , I am !!!

Mike said:

John,

You are talking about..

• January 28, 2012 3:29 PM CST
    • Oh ,I see. I thought it was the other wayaround.

Tony Jonaitis said:

I loved Hot Wacks, and bought every issue of the book (and it was later a magazine). Today its Bootlegzone and Collector's Music.

• January 28, 2012 11:21 AM CST
    • I'll offer this

• January 28, 2012 11:04 AM CST
    • A version of this was published in The Santa Fe New Mexican 
      Jan. 27 2012

Mark Sultan, a Canadian who has made a living, or at least part of a living, as a one-man band — and sometimes as half of two-man bands such as The King Khan & BBQ Show and, with Bloodshot Bill, as The Ding Dongs — has a pretty strong opinion of one-man bands.

He hates them.

Ranting on his blog last year, Sultan wrote:

“I can see how a one-man-band set-up can leave a bad taste in someone’s mouth. ... I hate one-man bands. Seriously. There are only a couple I like, and those few I do like I like because I don’t consider them one-man bands, but rather musicians who manipulate minimal gear and sounds and transform it and themselves into something special and transcend what they present. ... I don’t like the one-man band as gimmick. Or this fucking community of one-man-band team thought. I hate teams. I hate competition. This is all sports mentality. I hate sports, too.”

Now, I love the raw, stripped-down blues-bash basics of a Bob Log III and O Lendario Chucrobillyman. The one-man format works fine for an artist like Scott H. Biram, boiling down blues and honky-tonk to its basic DNA. There are some European one-manners out there, like King Automatic and Urban Junior, who have taken the form to weird dimensions. And I believe that the ascended master Hasil Adkins knew cosmic truths that most of us lesser mortals will never comprehend.

Whatever

But on the other hand, I think I know what Sultan is talking about. Like any kind of music, there is definitely some sameness in the sounds produced by the minions of second-rate Bob Logs proliferating at the edges of the garage and roots-rock scenes.

So, it’s fitting that Sultan’s latest work — two new albums released simultaneously late last year — seems to drift further than ever from the typical one-man band sound. On the new albums Whatever I Want and Whenever I Want, he continues to explores his beautiful obsession with doo-wop. Basically, Sultan just does what he’s always done best — melodic (mostly) tunes colored by R & B, rockabilly and primitive rock ’n’ roll.

But the sound, while still a million miles from overproduced, seems fuller than ever. As he’s done on previous albums, Sultan uses guest musicians. On the new records are Sultan’s pals from The Black Lips (with whom Sultan plays in the garage/gospel supergroup The Almighty Defenders) and Dan Kroha of The Gories. And, even more so than past efforts, he’s not above using a few studio tricks to give the tracks a little heft.

Whenever

A word about formats here: Whatever I Want and Whenever I Want are available only on vinyl and downloads. However, for CD loyalists, there is a 13-tack compilation called Whatever, Whenever. Unfortunately it doesn’t have some of my favorites, like “Blood on Your Hands” (which sounds  like a weird team-up of Danny & The Juniors and The Kingsmen), “Repulse Me, Baby,” which has a little King Khan in it, and “Pancakes,”  which you might mistake for  Sha Na Na making the greatest IHOP commercial in the history of the world.

Other favorites from the new albums include Whatever’s “Just Like Before,” on which Sultan goes right for the doo-wop jugular. It sounds like a lost cousin of some vintage Drifters hit. The rockabilly influences show on “Satisfied and Lazy” (on Whenever), while “Party Crasher” on Whenever gets psychedelic with a droning organ, some “Paint It Black” guitar riffs, and distorted background vocals that may make you think of Dion & The Belmonts interpreting the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

Whenever closes with an unexpected twist. The epic eight-minute “For Those Who Don’t Exist” starts out with Sultan strumming a guitar with the tremolo way up and whistling a weird little melody that could almost be a slower version of the Pixies’ “La La Love You.” Then, with clanging railroad-crossing bells apparently warning you, the saxes come in, and it’s a free-jazz odyssey.

What sets Sultan above most slop-rock purveyors is his voice. He has always owed far more to Sam Cooke than to Hasil Adkins. While he messes with several styles, his soaring voice is the thread that holds these two albums together.

Also recommended:

* Bad Luck Man by Delaney Davidson. This New Zealand native reminds me of some ghostly troubadour wandering the Earth searching for shadows.

As was the case with his previous album, Self-Decapitation, Davidson’s music shows traces of blues and hillbilly sounds, a little Gypsy jazz, faint strains of Dixieland, perhaps a touch of tango, and who knows what else.

Every song on Bad Luck Man has its charms, sometimes fully revealing themselves only on a second or third listen. Among the standouts are “Time Has Gone,” the kind of sad waltz Davidson does so well. Organ and horns rise up during the first instrumental break, giving the song a circus-orchestra texture.

The murder ballad “I Told a Secret” is a faster-paced waltz with a droning slide guitar. “I made a promise I would tear out my darlin’s sweet heart,” he sings in the first verse. And, by golly, he keeps that promise.

Davidson goes straight for the blues on “Windy City,” a raucous blues burner that comes late in the album, with chugging harmonica and a low gutter guitar. This tune pays its respects to Howlin’ Wolf, Bo Diddley, and other monsters of Chicago blues.

Delaney in Santa Fe

Though most of the songs are originals, Davidson plays some covers. He takes bluesman Abner Jay’s “I’m So Depressed” and makes it rock.

And there’s “I’ve Got the Devil Inside,” written by Davidson’s Voodoo Rhythm crony and touring partner, The Reverend Beat-Man. (The two played together in Santa Fe twice in recent years.) Davidson is backed only by loud drums you might think are a high-school marching band from the netherworld.

But for all the demonic energy, there are also some redemptive moments, the finest being “I Saw the Light From Heaven,” a backwoods gospel tune on which Davidson is accompanied by a lone banjo.

BLOG BONUS!
      Here's Mark Sultan performing The Rolling Stone's "Out of Time" and his own "I'll Be Lovin' You" from the $ album

And here's Delaney Davidson waltzing with the ladies in Tucson, Ariz. the night before he and Beat-Man played Santa Fe in July, 2010. The song is "Time Has Gone," which is on Bad Luck Man.

• January 28, 2012 10:54 AM CST
    • Your best bet would be to find an engineer/producer who's familiar with your genre and has had (proven) experience with recording bands you can relate to… Studio facilities and equipment hardly matters when working with the right people.

• January 28, 2012 9:37 AM CST
    • Here's the playlist from Jan 26/2012

This is part 2 of an all London Ontario show playing only cassettes by hometown bands....this is only the tip of the iceberg. Keeping the cassette technology alive in sleepy London Ontario from Western University (as it is officially now called) radio station CHRW!!

1. Crash 80's...2 + 2...from the Animals Fight Back, the first official compilation cassette of London bands in which the bands were aware of, and had a say in the song on the tape. Crash 80's also released an excellent 7" called Waiting For The Heat/Thrills.

2. Dead Rabbits....Tell That Girl To Shutup...recorded at the Cedar Lounge 2/9/82. This one goes out to Wanda Dead Rabbit who happened to be celebrating a birthday during the day this show aired.

3. Groove Things...We Get High...recorded live at Notes 6/5/91. At one point Notes was a disco and later started having live bands. The Grooves Things featured Rob Munro on guitar/vocals who had been in The Frankenstein 5 and is about to unleash a new garagepunk combo in Hamilton Ontario.

4. The Woodmen...Bring My Baby Back...demo...Singer Tom Dunphy is now in country combo The Rizdales who backed up Wanda Jackson last time she toured this area.

5. Thin Line...White On Black...from a self titled cassette and features the bass playing of Peter Gripp who is currently in the Vancouver based Living Deadbeats.

6. Nosmo King Jr...City Of Faith...from their cassette called What A World Eh Doggy? from around 1985 and the band morphed into The Corn Dogs who released several more cassettes and at least one LP.

7. The Zellots...Let's Play House...recorded at The Cedar Lounge 9/21/81 for Rose and Doug's wedding. The Zellots will be reuniting with all original members on Oct 26th...more details soon.

8. The Zellots...On The Dole...recorded live at The York Hotel (now called Call The Office) 5/10/80.

9. The Zellots...Blades...1981 demo recorded at EMAC studios.

10. Radio 4...PTL...from the first London band compilation called Domestic Animals that was done by Peter Moore and Gerry Collins. Some of the bands were unaware that they were on this tape until it was out...hence the second cassette, Animals Fight Back as mentioned on track one of this show.

11. Sheep Look Up....Jumper...from their only cassette and was produced by Peter Moore. They started as VD Teens, then Raw Dogs, then Radio 4 and finally settled on Sheep Look Up. The press called them Joy Division rip offs which was a quick short sighted comparision. Live, Sheep Look Up could be ferocious!! They combined art school sensibilities with raw punk anger to create their own sound! A band that coulda and shoulda....

12. Sheep Look Up...Civil Disobedience...as above. A song that should havebeen played at the rally for the unemployed EMD workers this past saturday.

13. NFG...Cowboy Rock...recorded somewhere sometime, probably late 70's. Thanx to Bob Glidden for this one. NFG will be reuniting for a show Oct 26th.

14. 63 Monroe....Give 'Em Up...recorded at The Cedar Lounge Easter 81. 63 Monroe were a later incarnation of NFG and later they became First Date (Fall 1981) and then went back to 63 Monroe, the name they still use...make sense...if i wasn't there, it wouldn't make any sense to me either.

15. 63 Monroe...Cyanide...from their self titled cassette from the early 80's.

16. Legend Killers....Strychnine...from a demo May 1986. Legend Killers were a fave of What Wave zine and appeared on all 10 cassettes, as well as a 7" compilation and a compilation on OG/What Wave Records called Mr Garager's Neighbourhood. And we released a 7" EP by them as well...and a few years back a CD....

17. Legend Killers...99th Floor...as above.

18. Legend Killers...C'Mon Everybody...recorded live at Hard Times 9/22/88. Legend Killers shows were always lively entertaining shows that would get people up dancing and drinking. Hard Times was also known as Kellys, Bullwinkles and many other names....but calling a club Hard Times has to be one of the stupidest names for a clubs ever!!

19. Flying Squad...I'm So Cool...from a cassette and dedicated to a certain obnoxious DJ at CHRW who has long gone....the golden girl as we used to refer to her after she claims she was given a golden shower while leaving the Victoria Tavern one evening. That event made the London Free Press....the evil punk rocker urinates on the head of an innocent or something like that. Punks have fun too!!

20. Flying Squad...Think For Yourself...from a cassette and this goes out to guitarist Larry and his wife Cathy who are going through some really tough times at the moment.

21. Flying Squad...Fie On You...demo version of the song that appeared on Four Whom The Bell Tolls, a 7" that came free with What Wave 16.

22. Crawling Kingsnakes...Rock Like Jerry Lee...from their self titled cassette. A later version of this band was based in Hamilton Ontario and released at least 2 CD's.

23. The Finks...I Think We're Alone Now...from a demo 4/29/87 and features bassist PeterGripp who later moved to Vancouver and is still playing.

24. Spiny Anteaters...Tonic...from the Live and Live cassette....composed of 2 couples...an all in the family band.

That's it for the cassette shows for now,we'll bring the decks back in a few weeks to play some more cassettes.
      Next week we've got The Oily Birds onair to do an acoustic set as they play Sat Feb 4th at Brennan's Beer Bistro with The Curious (new combo with Tom from The Cut Outs) and a Joy Division cover band.
      Thanx for all the calls, emails, facebook messages, etc....and thanx to everybody that tuned in.

Here's the link for the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• January 28, 2012 9:27 AM CST
    • I will be back on the air and the web on Saturday January 28 from 1:00-3:00PM EST.  You can listen at 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu .

• January 28, 2012 7:22 AM CST
    • a big muff, is a famous oldtimer that will do , but in my opinion too much woolly sounding. and a muff sounds slowly. but you can get some good noise out of em for a nice price.

• January 28, 2012 6:46 AM CST
    • me myself got the zvex fuzzfactory for about 7 years. still loving it, very loud (volume wise, a lot of fuzzboxes havent got a large output) and all sort of extreme sounds can be created. but you can also go for the wooly 60s fuzz tone using the zvex, its all there. wide range of sounds.

I just checked out the mossrite fuzzclone on youtube, boy , awesome cruel sound!! but impossible to find and expensive.

I would say checkout youtube vids. or go to your local dealer.

• January 28, 2012 6:07 AM CST
    • I just bought AND LOVE the Modtone mini FUZZER. I'ts sonicly delicious! I've owned many different fuzz boxes over the years. I've searched and searched to find the tone I dug. This is it. This little thing is rock solid and TRUE bypass. It's affordable too - around $50.00. With a 5 year warranty.

Try one and you might stop looking for fuzz pedals, until you can afford that rare $900.00 vintage fuzz that we all dream of. Even then this still might be your favorite.

I don't work for Modtone. I just think all fuzz-freaks should add the Fuzzer to their bag o' tricks - I think you'll be pleased. It ain't just fuzzy... it's down-right HAIRY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEiufEllIrU