Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 25, 2012 12:53 PM CST
    • ...and my favourite sound of guitar is in "The Calico Wall-I`m a Living Sickness".

• January 25, 2012 12:48 PM CST
    • if you are patient there is the posiibility to buy great sounding fuzz clones (!) cheap on ebay.

I bought for example a clone of the mosrite fuzzrite for 50 bucks (the original from the 60`s costs up to 400 Euros!) and it sounds perfect.

• January 25, 2012 12:22 PM CST
    • I haven't seen it yet, but I'll be ordering a copy soon. 

Dan Electreau said:

I was looking at this on the Norton Blog yesterday and was enticed. Has anyone seen it ?

• January 25, 2012 11:24 AM CST
    • I was looking at this on the Norton Blog yesterday and was enticed. Has anyone seen it ?

• January 25, 2012 11:55 AM CST
    • I'll try and keep this simple:

I saw some tv show special about 'new music' around 1980, it had Blondie, Gary Numan, etc, but what stood out to me was the Devo, Adam and the Ants and Lene Lovich stuff, they were total weirdo's from outer space and I wanted more - hey I was 13 and from the 'burbs.

Around 1981/82 I saw RUDE BOY on cable and picked up The Clash's Give Them Enough Rope shortly after that.

Met a guy in high school that had the Sex Pistols and Generation X stuff around '83, we borrowed each others records and became friends.

Then came skateboarding/Blag Flag/Dead Kennedy/etc. various hardcore albums/comps/etc. and finally going to as many punk/hardcore shows as possible.

• January 25, 2012 7:25 AM CST
    • Getting drunk on cheap German wine and listening to the Sex Pistols and The Dead Kennedy's. The Dead Kennedy's are still my favourite band to this day : )

• January 24, 2012 11:53 PM CST
    • Mr. Rotten

I'm pretty sure this was the first photo I ever saw of Johnny Rotten. My friend Trixie came into homeroom and showed me a news article -- she'd clipped it to show me. Pretty sure I have the article plastered in a book somewhere. Around Dec '76 or Jan '77? I read the article, stared at the photo, then refused to give it back to her. Got told off by the teacher for wrestling over it. The rest of the school year was pretty much wasted on me.

She and I had already been hooked on old Who LP's -- and when the Ramones lp came out, we both went on an all-day mission to find our copies. Success!

So we were ready for The Pistols. There was an awesome newsagent in Evanston, IL who stocked PUNK. Seriously, the only one in town:

Wish I'd been the one to buy 'em. Read hers. :-(

I've checked my school diaries from '78-'81 and there are photos pasted in of The Clash on almost every other page for 2 years running. Wow. What an impression they made. I'm sure if I hadn't seen 'em live, I wouldn't have been so stuck on them for so long.

Funny, there aren't there any homework listings, but almost every show or gig I attended is marked in girlish handwriting. I love how many pictures I have of Blondie. And Mick Jones! I guess The Rose came out that year, huh?

Remember The Effigies? DV8? The Special Affect? Don't know why, but I had a habit of clipping the show ads from The Reader (Chicago) and pasting them in. At the time, it seemed like overkill, but now I'm glad I did it.

Thanks Dave for the trip down cloudy memory lane. Mel

• January 25, 2012 11:47 AM CST
    • Hey Rob, if you possibly come across any links announcing this, please post it here. It really sucks it's the end for these guys, so any news clearing up the fog would be great!

• January 25, 2012 8:38 AM CST
    • Bummer. They're one of those bands who everyone into "garage rock" knows about... and they either seem to be loved or hated. I always had a lot of respect for them, and thought their music was pretty cool and solidified the whole Rochester, NY garage scene. I have all of their early LPs and there's some great stuff on those, and I also really liked their "Mindbending Sounds" LP that came out on Sundazed several years back. I don't think I ever heard their last one on Wicked Cool (Little Steven's label)... probably should try and find that one. Got to see them live open for the New York Dolls several years back, too, and they stole the show. Great live band.

• January 25, 2012 7:32 AM CST
    • Unfortunate, but it doesn't surprise me, though...Wonder what the story is?

• January 24, 2012 11:44 PM CST
    • i love being the bearer of this bad news. i was told from a very inside source that the Chesterfield Kings have (finally) called it a day. :)

• January 25, 2012 10:24 AM CST
    •  

• January 24, 2012 4:38 PM CST
    • I've not heard the Pizzicato Five in years.

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

The Mods Revival in Japan solidified in 1981 with a big scooter run and festival called Mods Mayday (taken from the '79 comp). And they've been going strong every year since. A lot of the bands have been quite a mixture of garage punk, indie pop, shibuya kei, ska, along with some more pure Mods groups like The Collectors, The Fave Raves, The Neat Beats, The Shamrock... There's a 25th anniversary comp full of this stuff. There's also regular events connected to these organizers like March of the Mods. This site poorly needs updating, but it's done by the Mods Mayday people:

http://www.thisismodernworld.com/

Some of currently popular Japanese mods bands include:

THE MINNESOTA VOODOO MEN (suits with a garage edge)

THE BAWDIES (Beatles influence, huge right now, will support The Sonics this year)

THE MERCIES (like The Bawdies but all girls and much raunchier!)

THE SHALLOWS (Mods sound with a touch of GS)

THE SCARLETTES (from Osaka, Who covers and such)

And a bunch of girl groups come to mind SHANGHAI BABIES, THAT'S A NO-NO, SIX, THE PHANTASMS...

Some others mentionable are The Playmates, les Cappuccino even Pizzicato Five, known for mixing Mod fashion & sounds with Shibuya Kei electro-pop.

I'm probably missing a bunch but these are the ones that mind at the moment.

• January 25, 2012 9:41 AM CST
    • SKYLAR GREY

• January 25, 2012 8:49 AM CST
    • YEah man fucken EH!

• January 24, 2012 10:49 PM CST
    • Cheers Al !

Alan Creed said:

Onya Wig ... good stuff mate.

• January 24, 2012 10:36 PM CST
    • Onya Wig ... good stuff mate.

• January 24, 2012 6:24 PM CST
    • What would be a "worst video contest" without Jan Terri?

• January 24, 2012 4:49 PM CST
    • according to northern soul, there is a wonderful comp on "psychic circle" called "hide and seek".

• January 24, 2012 7:56 AM CST
    • We saw The Pandoras in 84 in NYC and they were AMAZING!! Went to see them a few years later in London Ontario and was expecting the same. We got there early, we were going to try and interview the band for the zine we were doing, What Wave. Got there, the band was doing sound check and i guess things weren't going as well as the band expected. We had a camera out and Paula screamed out 'no pictures!!' ...they were dressed in jeans etc, not the 60's outfits as on the first LP cover. We tried to talk to the band, but were kind of brushed off and Kim Shattuck called my fan club card (ya, i was an official Pandora fan club member) 'cute' and kind of laughed at it...they probably figured i was a girl band groupie or something, even though i was there with my wife.

Well the band left the club and the place started to fill up, a lot of young kids came in and they all sat on the dance floor in front of the stage. We thought that this was kind of odd as a dance floor is just for that, not for putting your ass on before the band plays. By the time The Pandoras hit the stage, the entire dance floor was filled with kids (mainly girls) all sitting down and they remained that way while The Pandoras played...the music, pseudo metal that was NOWHERE anything like The Pandoras of their first LP...total crap as far as we were concerned...and the kids were still sitting on the dance floor!

My wife made us leave as she could not stand the total bullshit and noise....we went to a nearby club and saw UIC and they FUCKING ROCKED as they always did back then....here's some video of UIC....might have even been the same night:

http://youtu.be/0BHb0ocm_1g

Gave up on The Pandoras at that point, but still really love the first LP on VOXX.