Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 12, 2012 1:52 PM CST
    • Hi James,

the plan is to come around the friday 23 of march, im still looking for a gig in San Francisco, do you have some contact to help ?

cheers,

Sylvie

• January 12, 2012 1:35 PM CST
    • I think you don't need a Music Badge. If the show you want see is not sold out by Music Badgers you normally can pay at the door. And there are many many shows that are unofficial. You wouldn't get in there with a badge.

Shtbird said:

So I checked out the website (Never attended a music festival of any sort). Lineup looks pretty fun, I've seen a handful of them on little west coast tours.

But 675 for a Music Badge?

and Hotel Rooms at 150+ a night?

We're talking at least 1500 (including travel, food, drinks, etc.) I don't know about you guys, but I'm dirt poor working class. I can't afford that shit.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to do this?

• January 12, 2012 12:37 PM CST
    • Sure. It's on Thursday March 15th and it's a day party with free bbq, booze and awesome bands. It's at the Elysium. We'll have one stage with more loud rockin' stuff and we'll have another small stage with stuff like James Leg, Joe Purdy and acts like that. Show is 21+ definitely. 

swt said:

Elel, Lemme know details of your showcase

Elle Diabla said:

I have a showcase down there again this year. I'll be doing it at The Elysium. One of the awesome bands I'll be having on is the Riverboat Gamblers!! I'm so excited for it. We're gonna have a pig roast and free beer. This year though I'm taking the nanny. I'm a mama and it's tough dragging a baby all over SXSW!

My fave shows are house shows or outdoor BBQ's and stuff. Maybe I'm just old but watching 1000 wasted kids run around isn't so fun anymore. 

If anyone knows of any killer bands looking for a showcase, send them my way! I'm taking submissions now and making decisions at the end of them month. 

• January 12, 2012 12:34 PM CST
    • Elel, Lemme know details of your showcase

Elle Diabla said:

I have a showcase down there again this year. I'll be doing it at The Elysium. One of the awesome bands I'll be having on is the Riverboat Gamblers!! I'm so excited for it. We're gonna have a pig roast and free beer. This year though I'm taking the nanny. I'm a mama and it's tough dragging a baby all over SXSW!

My fave shows are house shows or outdoor BBQ's and stuff. Maybe I'm just old but watching 1000 wasted kids run around isn't so fun anymore. 

If anyone knows of any killer bands looking for a showcase, send them my way! I'm taking submissions now and making decisions at the end of them month. 

• January 12, 2012 12:14 PM CST
    • Yeah, I can't afford that shit either! I guess if you know someone there who'll let you crash at their place, and maybe drive instead of fly, that you could save some money... but that won't work for everyone.

Shtbird said:

So I checked out the website (Never attended a music festival of any sort). Lineup looks pretty fun, I've seen a handful of them on little west coast tours.

We're talking at least 1500 (including travel, food, drinks, etc.) I don't know about you guys, but I'm dirt poor working class. I can't afford that shit.

• January 12, 2012 11:49 AM CST
    • I love Shooter! That's good to know. I'm gonna reach out and try to snag him for my showcase!

joey fuckup said:

I know you're focusing on the garage department here, Steve, but Adam Sheets told me that Shooter Jennings will be doing a showcase down there with bands and musicians he's promoting right now. Billy Joe Shaver has signed on, that much I know.

• January 12, 2012 11:43 AM CST
    • You don't have to buy the badge at all. I have never bought one and it's never, ever prevented me from seeing a show I want to see. I'd say 99% of all shows are free and everyone is able to get into them. If you want to do conferences and seminars and stuff, buy the badge. If you're just going to check out bands, don't worry about it!

Shtbird said:

• January 12, 2012 11:11 AM CST
    • I have a showcase down there again this year. I'll be doing it at The Elysium. One of the awesome bands I'll be having on is the Riverboat Gamblers!! I'm so excited for it. We're gonna have a pig roast and free beer. This year though I'm taking the nanny. I'm a mama and it's tough dragging a baby all over SXSW!

• January 12, 2012 12:36 PM CST
    • That was a while ago- I don't even have my Beltones shirts anymore.  I think we did two different versions of the gun shirt.  I had one we did for the "Fuck You Anyway" song, with a little punk kid giving the finger.  If you ordered other shirts from TKO, it's likely I was the guy who printed your shirt.

All of the guys in The Beltones were fun. My buddy was in a band called Terminus City and they played together a lot.

Jason Feldmann said:

That's awesome. I ordered a shirt from TKO back in the late 90s... all white with the Beltones logo and a M-16 (or M-60) across the chest. Still wear it today, despite the stains. You gotta any of those T-shirts lying around?

But the really cool thing is how I was introduced to the band.... saw the Swingin' Utters play Des Moines, Iowa in the summer 99 when I was living out there. Ended up drinking beers with the band afterwards and talking about music, sports (big NBA fans) and old SNL episodes. Anyway Johhny Peebucks and I struck up a friendship of sorts as we talked about a band called the Strike. I told him I'd send him their latest LP on casette tape. He returned the favor with a tape consisting of the Beltones, Workin' Stiffs and the Real McKenzies. Good stuff indeed!

Dennis Guthrie said:

The Beltones are great.  I used to print their t-shirts when I worked at my buddy's shop, Crash & Burn (in Atlanta).

Jason Feldmann said:

Everyone should know, love, appreciate and emmulate the Beltones. Their On Deaf Ears EP collects all their early 7 inches onto a CD. Only 20 minutes. But 20 minutes is all you need to have your life turned upside down!!  I love this goddamn band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eS3mtb...

• January 12, 2012 12:02 PM CST
    • That's awesome. I ordered a shirt from TKO back in the late 90s... all white with the Beltones logo and a M-16 (or M-60) across the chest. Still wear it today, despite the stains. You gotta any of those T-shirts lying around?

But the really cool thing is how I was introduced to the band.... saw the Swingin' Utters play Des Moines, Iowa in the summer 99 when I was living out there. Ended up drinking beers with the band afterwards and talking about music, sports (big NBA fans) and old SNL episodes. Anyway Johhny Peebucks and I struck up a friendship of sorts as we talked about a band called the Strike. I told him I'd send him their latest LP on casette tape. He returned the favor with a tape consisting of the Beltones, Workin' Stiffs and the Real McKenzies. Good stuff indeed!

Dennis Guthrie said:

The Beltones are great.  I used to print their t-shirts when I worked at my buddy's shop, Crash & Burn (in Atlanta).

Jason Feldmann said:

Everyone should know, love, appreciate and emmulate the Beltones. Their On Deaf Ears EP collects all their early 7 inches onto a CD. Only 20 minutes. But 20 minutes is all you need to have your life turned upside down!!  I love this goddamn band.

• January 12, 2012 11:54 AM CST
    • The Beltones are great.  I used to print their t-shirts when I worked at my buddy's shop, Crash & Burn (in Atlanta).

Jason Feldmann said:

• January 12, 2012 12:27 PM CST
    • "FORGET ABOUT THE C*NTS. LOVE YOUR FRIENDS AND YOUR FAMILY FIRST. THEN , YOU WILL LOVE YOUR LIFE."     John Lydon.

I don't know why I called Ray Charles a blind N******. I was drunk , I apologize.

ELTON BOREDELLO.

I don't know why I said Lux Interior had just died from a Heroin overdose. I was drunk , I apologize.      Joey Ramone , 1986.

• January 12, 2012 12:22 PM CST
    • God , where I lived , you'd get called "Devo" for a Hell of a lot less than that . And this was well after Devo had gone mainstream , with a large Preppie following. "Fag" , too , of course . That was reserved for original creative writers and students of Shakespaeare : "FAG!". Astounding originality , that was.

dave said:

john doe

People knew Devo for some reason, so that’s what hicks would yell out of their pickups to slag you: “De-e-e-v-o!” or “F-a-a-g!” You could elicit that response  by wearing tight black jeans and a leather jacket with a regular haircut. Here we were in Hollywood, where you’re supposed to be able to do anything and not faze people, and the general public was offended by this style. Everyone I knew just scratched their head, wondering what it was that pissed people off so much, but it gave you the feeling that you were fighting the good fight.

-from we got the neutron bomb

• January 12, 2012 12:22 PM CST
    • Yeah!! The man is a technical wIZARD NO DOUBT, and it he must have battled satan himself to acuire those guitar skills!

• January 12, 2012 12:12 PM CST
    • I don't think I have enough of a sense of humor for this discussion.  There is some awful crap out there.

• January 12, 2012 12:07 PM CST
    • well said about the getrures for large breasts haha!!

what stoked me in Kopper's vid is the guy in the green sweater::when he passes trough the scene doing that weird thing with his arms...i mean,whats that????did he think he was ''bad'',man?

• January 12, 2012 11:56 AM CST
    • Holy cow.

• January 12, 2012 10:08 AM CST
    • He thinks: "How many notes can I play per second with my eyes closed?"

Light Bulb Alley ( New LP out!) said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rutyA12z3Ok I DONT KNOW IF YOU HEARD OF THIS GUY... BUT HES KIND OF A BIG DEAL :P

• January 12, 2012 11:48 AM CST
    • @ SWT....If you're doing a vinyl show at just about any campus radio station, you're best to bring your own cartridges. Where i do a show, (campus radio) the needles are constantly bent or damaged yet people still use them. And yes, it'll damage your records.

I always bring my own headshells, turntables mats etc and have no problems with record damage...now if the fucking hiphoppers (or whatever they are) would stop fucking with the wiring to the turntables i'd be all set...vent over.

• January 12, 2012 11:29 AM CST
    • That's fan-fucking-tastic. Great post. But who else has been super jazzed to find a sweet piece of vinyl. Slide out the vinyl... Side A is near mint... and then BAM.... Side B looks like it was used by some amateur wanna be scratchin' DJ. Or even worse.... whole thing looks immaculate but only when you come home do you discover a small nick that totally ruins your listening experience and fucks up your needle to boot.

• January 12, 2012 10:57 AM CST
    • i would kill for a phantom special ,if the fuzz is anythinglike the one in the starstream then its even more amazing than i thought (and i think its godly anyway)

Time For Tiffin said:

• January 12, 2012 9:31 AM CST
    • this kinda sounds like George Michael.

SarahJayne said:

I really like the Secret Affair's version of 'going to a go go'