Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 26, 2011 8:24 AM CST
    • Thanks for all the advice. We're not playing for another month or so, so plenty of time to get them checked properly. Cheers again folks.

• December 26, 2011 8:12 AM CST
    • Wow. Was that Chuck Barris (Gong Show etc.) at the end of the clip coming up to the band!!!??

John Battles said:

Amazing. Never seen that clip. Sean looking like Basi Rathbone as King Richard III.
      kopper said:

• December 25, 2011 7:49 PM CST

• Amazing. Never seen that clip. Sean looking like Basi Rathbone as King Richard III.
      kopper said:

• December 25, 2011 4:29 PM CST
    • Sean Bonniwell R.I.P.

'Talk,Talk' was one of a brace of singles that I bought as a (barely) teenaged musician after I got my first 'record player'... so yes, he had fans even as far away as down here in South Australia... dunno how or why, but Adelaide, pretty much alone in Australia, had songs like this and 'Pushin' Too Hard', 'Psychotic Reaction', '...Too Much to Dream...' and other Nuggets staples in the 'Top 10' on our local AM station,5KA... so Music Machine and Love and the Seeds and 13th Floor Elevators were well-known and inspired a thriving garage scene here... we did all these songs in my school band, 'the Souls of Misery'... great time in music!

Sad news indeed! We'll certainly be playing a tribute on this week's edition of our radio shows...

• December 25, 2011 3:12 PM CST
    • OH , NO....If it's true , that's very sad. You want to talk about underrated....

It's strange , I was just thinking about him , not a half - hour ago. A friend of mine was hanging out with Rudi Protrudi , when Sean came by. Sean overheard them talking about Jim Morrisson , and he said "JIM MORRISSON ?!  JIM MORRISSON WAS AN AGENT FOR SATAN !!!".

Of course , Jim stands tall , near the top of my OVERrated column , but , if there's Heaven above us , you know that he'll be waiting , to give Sean his first glass of Irish whiskey.

Sean , if ye be in Heaven today , tis true , the Devil was surely too busy texting all his idiot new arrivals (Kim Jong Il , e.g.)  to see ye by God's throne , hugging Sky Saxon , and , yes , even Arthur Lee.   Go in Peace.

Note : I just saw the other messages , confirming the news.

"Oh , Danny Boy , It's you must go , and I must bide....".

" Hey , Joe , you can't die until your time . Cause death is'nt love , and love is just the hands of time.".

• December 26, 2011 6:57 AM CST
    • the sonics-dont believe in christmas

the pouges-fairytale of new york

slade-merry christmas everybody

alice cooper-santa claws

the damned-there aint no sainty clause

• December 26, 2011 12:27 AM CST
    • Dressy Bessy - all the right reasons

• December 25, 2011 4:47 PM CST
    • Little White Berry by Roy Castle. 

[youtube]hLbwZsmAc4s[/youtube]

• December 25, 2011 11:14 PM CST
    • Any Tom Waits (Raindogs is my favorite),good country or blues.

• December 26, 2011 12:24 AM CST
    • "a tale of a lobster" ~ an old friends mom's rendition of Stiff Little Fingers 'alternative ulster'

• December 25, 2011 8:56 PM CST
    •  There were a few misheard F-Bombs in the 60's.

Bobby Fuller Four - "I Fought The Law"  "I miss my baby and a good fuck" ("..and her GOOD FUN.". ). Yes , The BF4 DID record a version with an "F- Bomb" , but , of course , that was not the hit single version. IF THEY'D HAVE DONE THAT , BOBBY MIGHT HAVE BEEN MURDERED SOONER THAN HE ACTUALLY WAS.

Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels - "Sock It To Me , Baby"  "Every time you kiss me , hits me like a FUCK!")  ("Hits me like a punch.".).

And the FAR lesser known Ron Haydock's "99 Chicks" - "99 Chicks , and it's just my luck , ain't one o' these chicks I'd want to FUCK!". Again , there was a dirty version , and a clean version (Where the F- word is replaced by brief silence.) , but , all 37 people who heard the original single when it came out , did not hear an F-Bomb.

Oh , yeah , there's "The King of Fuh" by Brute Force. It was on Apple Records. Does'nt mean it would have got airplay if he had'nt said "Fuh King" over and over ....

The Who's version of Mose Allison's "Young Man Blues" must have got some FM airplay , even tho' Daltrey says "They got sweeeeeeeeet FUCK - ALL !!!". That's not a phrase commonly used in the States , so Deejays could have said it was something else when The FCC came a- knockin'.

My Dad had a business associate that told me , back in the 50's , "You were'nt cool at my school unless you'd heard that new Gene Vincent record , "Lotta Lovin'" , that goes "Well , I wanna , wanna lotta , lotta FUGGIN' !"....Of course , Gene did'nt say that , and he did'nt say "Fuggin'' on "Woman Love" , either , but , as if almost losing his leg was'nt bad enough , between the censors and the Musician's Union , Gene  had virtually no career at all in The U.S. by the very early 60's.

• December 26, 2011 12:21 AM CST
    • RKCNDY - Seattle, WA (r.i.p.)

• December 25, 2011 10:15 PM CST
    • looking for any tabs or chords to any of these songs would be much appreciated!

Take a hint

Dont mess me up

Its Alright

Get outta my house

Im beat

Mystery Action

Thanks Stay Cool!

Punkguts

• December 25, 2011 8:30 PM CST
    •  I remember The Makers.  Did'nt like 'em.

John White said:

I agree, The Blacks Lips have been an important band, and everything you said is true. But, when it comes down it, I liked the last White Stripes record. The last Black Lips record, not so much. I have a feeling that they are changing their songwriting style to gain mainstream success. Anyone remember The Makers?

• December 25, 2011 8:27 PM CST
    • P.S. I JUST HEARD "MAKIN' TIME" IN A BEER COMMERCIAL , MAYBE THAT'LL HELP MOTIVATE EDDIE Phillips (WHO'S A REAL ACE GUY.) TO GET THE CREATION UP AND RUNNING AGAIN , IF THEY ARE'NT , ALREADY.

John Battles said:

Long before The White Stripes caught on , and actually , before there even was a White Stripes, There was Msr. Jeffrey Evans , The Gories and Jack O' Fire , as far as (Mostly) white acts are concerned. LONG before they shaped Punk Blues , Hound Dog Taylor created it. But , Pat Hare had that sound some 20 years before , and Cub Koda was punkin' the HELL out of them Blues from the 70's to his all too untimely passing.....

I'm not hearing much of anything new in the Garage and so -called Garage genre  that I'd call important. As far as important old school people who still have a lot to offer , or did in the past 10 years , we've got Roky Erickson, Fred Cole , The Alarm Clocks , The Sonics , ? and The Mysterians , the recently defunct Mike and The Ravens , The Remains , The Electric Prunes (Whose status , it seems , remains in flux. ) , The Electras (Same.) , The late , great Wailers , The late , great Blue Cheer , The Troggs , The Pretty Things , The Downliners Sect , The Creation (Anybody heard from them?) , Mitch Ryder , Mark Lindsay , Scott Morgan , The Stooges , The Nervebreakers ,  The New Colony Six (On a good night.).

You don't have to be hip with the kids and their outasite beat to have something that's of worth. 

• December 25, 2011 8:24 PM CST
    • Gerry ? Gerry Marsden? I thought he was alive. And no one would accuse him of being a Garage Rock Godfather. Gerry Rosalie ,of course , is still with us. Maybe I'm missing someone.

Andy Climax said:

Gone but never ever forgotten. Lux Interior must be as important to Garage, Rockabilly, Beats and any other genre of scuzzy rawk'n'roll. Not just the last 10 years but 30. Influenced by and for so many of our (anti) hero's. the Cramps introduced so many including the mainstream to our particular brand of madness. He's an ambassador and a gentleman. I hope him, Sky and Gerry are sittin round a table now with very smug faces on, coz they Fkn deserve to. Lux Interior R.I.P

• December 25, 2011 8:20 PM CST
    • I'm 42 and my son that is 19 plays in my band. I used to joke about him being my younger brother, but I figure fuck it, it's pretty badass that I'm in a punk band with my son. Shit, maybe I can keep going until he has a kid old enough to play and we could be a triple threat! LOL

• December 25, 2011 7:40 PM CST
    • I have played a long scale Danno for a couple of years in a garage style band and besides the buzzing from the single coil pickups, it plays and feels great.

I also play a Mosrite Ventures model, an Epiphone Jack Cassidy semi=hollow body and find no quality issues between the three.  As for strings, I use RotoSound long scale Jazz Bass  and have no problems with the tuning keys.

I say get it and it will be a nice addition to your other two.

• December 25, 2011 12:24 PM CST

• kopper said:

Hell, Bobby, you live in Pittsburgh... Get Hip should be able to courier their stuff to ya!

I know Get hip has an awesome catalogue & are in pittsburgh. I've met the owner a few times at Cynics shows & he is a real cool guy. Thanks for the heads up. I have picked up lots of their stuff over the years, but never really checked out their website.

• December 25, 2011 12:19 PM CST
    • Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions.
      I've always done my shopping is stores & have only ordered a few limited run things over the years, but i guess it's time to get with the times ( of course I'll always support the independent shops too. )