Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 15, 2011 8:50 PM CST
    • Does anyone know who this band is playing in the background? Sounds like The Buzzcocks, The Notsensibles and The Thought Criminals, but it's not them. It's an Aussie movie from '81 called Puberty Blues and most of the soundtrack is by Aussie groups/artists, so it may be an Aussie band. I've been lookin' for a while with no luck, so I decided to upload that specific scene in the hopes that someone online will know.

Thanks!!

• December 15, 2011 6:14 PM CST
    • Thanks KK Dirty Money!

Someone in my area's selling one, which is why I ask. I don't necessarily need the bass, but I thought it might work tone-wise with some surf tunes I play with a buddy. Or at the very least, it would look cool. 

• December 15, 2011 11:31 AM CST
    • I owned a brand new short scale version of this guitar. It was great, but it is unlike your typical bass guitar and will be quite different from the two you already use. With that being said, it might be cool to have three different types of basses with a variety of tones, feel, weight, etc.

This guitar is great for the cash, and cool looking if you like the style. It is light weight and has a unique tone. The tuning pegs are not heavier/larger ones like on most basses, for some unknown reason. So, that is pretty much the only thing I can complain about. 

You can get these new for pretty cheap, and could probably find a used model at a steal.

Plus, the cool thing about Danelectro guitars are they are generally considered "collectible" and hold their value better than a lot of other guitars (that aren't Fenders or Gibsons).

• December 15, 2011 11:18 AM CST
    • I'm looking for feedback on this Danelectro bass. Has anyone in the group here had the opportunity to use this model. How does it compare to other basses? What did you like/dislike about this model?

I currently own a Thunderbird and a Fender vintage modified. 

Thanks in advance! 

• December 15, 2011 4:46 PM CST
    • hmmm? i recall a certain someone singing "your future dream is a shopping scheme"....

• December 15, 2011 6:15 AM CST
    • It's I'm Cramped, dude.

Mitch Wilwerding said:

I know the cramps tune but cant think of the name can anyone help me out also i was in ace hardware the other day and domino came on over the PA i thought that was cool

• December 15, 2011 6:14 AM CST
    • I guess Hitler never saw that coming! Get cramped in your grave you shitball! Haha!

(FYI: Early VW models were produced under NS tutelage)

• December 15, 2011 6:05 AM CST
    • Haha, it's a Volkswagon after all!

Matt said:

I think its hilarious that they chose "I'm Cramped " for a car commercial.... I like roomy cars.

• December 15, 2011 12:56 AM CST
    • All I know is someone, I think buick, used a Screamin' Jay song in a commercial and my heart sank.  Oh well, I guess his 70-some offspring can split the licensing monies.

• December 14, 2011 9:51 PM CST
    • I know the cramps tune but cant think of the name can anyone help me out also i was in ace hardware the other day and domino came on over the PA i thought that was cool

• December 15, 2011 2:39 PM CST
    • Ha!

I was just gonna recommend you...

Chicken Head Christ is one of the best songs ever, you should put it on the hideout.

BackdoorStan said:

King Salami & the Cumberland 3 play some killer R&B in the UK!

• December 15, 2011 5:30 AM CST
    • Blas Picón & the Junk Express from Barcelona! Raw R&B like Kid Thomas or Papa Lightfoot (Blas has played drums with Nick Curran in one or two spanish tours!)

They have a 7'' with Carajillo Records and a Cd!

• December 15, 2011 2:07 PM CST
    • The Wilson sisters aka HEART have always been kick ass:)

• December 15, 2011 11:02 AM CST
    • Necessary evil, I'm afraid. BTW, those don't pay anything unless people click 'em. ;)

Pat said:

the Google Ads

• December 15, 2011 10:13 AM CST
    • the Google Ads

• December 14, 2011 7:51 PM CST
    • The girls!

• December 15, 2011 9:06 AM CST
    • This is a huge topic, as there are countless ways to get cool tone (and countless ways to get bad tone). I have a small collection of great tube amps, pedals, and even some modeling stuff that all sounds pretty damn good, so I could ramble on about this topic from various standpoints. 

Now, I know we all probably agree that if we can afford a good tube amp, then we've gotten to a great place as far as getting good tone goes. So, one of the coolest discoveries I've come up with is using an Electro Harmonix Black Finger tube compressor pedal on your tube amp for garage crunch.

A friend of mine was selling one really cheap, so I figured I'd buy it to try out and then flip it shortly afterwards to make a few extra bucks. But, once I started using it I fell in love with it. When using a tube compressor pedal with a tube amp, it not only compresses and gives you a fat tone, but it also gives you a naturally over-driven tube tone without actually using an overdrive pedal or switching to the drive channel on the amp. Very simple, very effective.

What I'm trying to say is: you could have a tube amp on the clean channel, put the tube compressor on it, and you'll get a nice and punchy/solid tube overdrive that isn't too static-y or distorted and it really sounds good for garage style tone. 

Try it out and let me know what you think.

• December 15, 2011 5:42 AM CST
    • Chuck Berry's guitar sound in the whole After School Sessions album is just MAGIC

• December 15, 2011 3:25 AM CST
    • Primitives , the groupies

• December 15, 2011 3:24 AM CST
    • Of course !!!!

Zentralheizung of Death said:

the tamrons  - wild man

• December 15, 2011 1:07 AM CST
    • agreed all above

dont forget

gories sister ann

detroit cobras cha cha twist

oh and u think this on meets the criteria?

come on by the atlantics

i think you guys got it spot on

oh what would we do without garage rock

btw throw the lyres in there somewhere too

• December 14, 2011 11:58 PM CST
    • definitely Psycho by The Sonics or Cant seem to make you mine by The Seeds. 

I would also consider All of the Night by The Kinks although that might be just me.