Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 1, 2011 4:31 PM CDT
    • New November shows now streaming on Dandelion Radio - my one hour show features music only by acts I've never played before, so come and hear the likes of Elektro Guzzi, Mutants of the Holocaust and The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble in all their majestic glory!

Broadcast times are to be found here.

While you're at it, vote in the legendary Festive Fifty, first started by John Peel back in 1976 and at home on Dandelion Radio since 2006 - follow this link for full details and voting form.

Cheers!

Pete

• November 1, 2011 3:47 PM CDT
    • But I digress.....I think iTunes was the topic.   Very sorry.  Continue on.

• November 1, 2011 3:34 PM CDT
    • Well, in Pete's defense you don't stop doing something you love just because you pass the retirement age. What the hell is 66 anymore?   Much of his performing generates a lot of money for charitible causes.  Case in point: 

31st October, 2011
      The Who launch Daltrey/Townshend Teen and Young Adult Cancer Program at UCLA

Rock legends Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend of the Who say they owe much of their musical success to teenagers. In a heartfelt repayment, the two will announce the launch of the UCLA Daltrey/Townshend Teen & Young Adult Cancer Program, which will serve teens and young adult cancer patients at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

The new program — the first of its kind in the United States — will build on the previous successful efforts of the Teenage Cancer Trust, which has helped fund 19 special teen cancer units in the United Kingdom.

Rock icon Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, who has been closely involved with the program in the U.K., will also attend the news conference to lend his support.

The rockers will all sign a guitar during the press conference that will be hung on the wall in the new UCLA cancer unit. For more information, CLICK HERE

• November 1, 2011 11:15 AM CDT
    • I only use it for podcasts and have never purchased one penny's worth of music from it.  For podcasts I regard it as excellent and truly have never explored the full potential of iTunes so I don't feel 100% qualified to bag on it.  That said, it has become the establishment of the music industry.  Because of the technological ease of use it has become the gorilla at the top of the heap as far as distribution is concerned.  Instead of peels, toss down a few banan-ers there gorilla-man!

• November 1, 2011 3:10 PM CDT
    • The Big Mix – 1/7/11

1 – Louie Louie Music – Armitage Shanks

2 – I Got You Babe – The Cynics

3 – Sunrise (Turn On) – The Chesterfield Kings

4 – Snatchin’ and Grabbin’ – Bob Wills

5 – Don’t You Rock Me Daddy-O – Lonnie Donnegan

6 – Drag Me – The De-Fenders

7 – You Are Not Your Job – Gas Huffer

8 – Contact In Red Square – Blondie

9 – It’s Your Curse – Lord High Fixers

10 – 13 Stations – Cornflake Zoo

•  

11 – Goodbye – The Coral

12 – Going To Wichita – Deadbolt

13 – Delmonica – Dwarves

14 – Skinny Jim – Eddie Cochran

15 – Medication – Chocolate Watch Band

16 – Cool Deaths – The Oh Sees

17 – Rip It Up – Buddy Holly

18 – Get Rid Of That Girl – The Donnas

19 – Spitting Quarters – Scared Of Chaka

21 – It’s Trash – The Cave Men

•  

22 - Hard Lovin’ Man – The Fleshtones

23 – Rat Race – Bob Marley

24 – Rollin’ Over – Small Faces

25 – Universal Vagrant – Chords Five

26 – A Northwest Passage – International Noise Conspiracy

27 – Voodoo Doll – Gore Gore Girls

•  

28 – I Lie – Naked Raygun

29 – River Deep, Mountain High – The Saints

30 – Clones – Oblivians

31 – Death Hammer Overload – Motor Jesus

32 – Generation Genocide – Mudhoney

33 – Earth Love – Guitar Wolf

34 – Little Piece Of Action – The Makers

35 – Devil’s Magic Pants – Humpers

36 – Top Down – Teenage Head

• November 1, 2011 12:33 PM CDT
    • The Big Mix – 12/31/10

1 - ‘Neath A Cold Gray Tomb Of Stone – Hank Williams

2 – Ramblin’ Man – Hank Williams

3 – I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive - Hank Williams

4 – Alcohol And Pills – Fred Eaglesmith

5 – Start The Party – The Dirtbombs

6 – Let’s Have A Party – 5.6.7.8.s

7 – Are You Drinking With Me Jesus – Beat Farmers

8 – Somebody Put Something In My Drink – The Ramones

9 – Booze Party – Three Aces and a Joker

10 – Hit Me Again – Mystery Girls

11 – That Ole Mountain Dew – Grandpa Jones

12 – Drinkin’ Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee – Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio

• Break

13 – Whiskey Headed Woman – Lightnin’ Hopkins

14 – Having A Wild Weekend – Long John Thomas and the Duffs

15 – Texas Jail Cell – Jon Wayne Band

16 – Thunderbird ESQ – The Gories

PSA – Ravi Shankar

17 – High On Drugs – Full Time Men

18 – Mad Dog 20/20 – The Woggles

19 – Whisky In The Jar – The Dubliners

•  

20 – Wang Dang Doodle – Howlin’ Wolf

21 – Your Head Is Reeling – Ultimate Spinach

22 – Another Beer – Armitage Shanks

23 – Cryin’ Drunk - Old 97s

24 – Log Jammer – Shang-A-Lang

25 – Huff All Night – The Donnas

26 – Lime Rickey – Chicken Hawks

27 – Got The Time – Joe Jackson

28 – Haze Of Drink – Slobberbone

29 – I Couldn’t Get High – The Fugs

30 – Squad Car – Eddie and the Showmen    

• October 31, 2011 2:25 PM CDT
    • "Cry , Cry , Cry " by The Unrelated Segments rates right up there ,I think.

• November 1, 2011 11:57 AM CDT
    • The Pack AD are really good, don't know about them staying true to the old school Garage though...

I'd say Weirdonia but that's just douchey on my part and untrue

• November 1, 2011 3:59 AM CDT
    • I was thinking maybe that Davila 666 album or the new Black Lips album as my album of the year 2011, but this one blows me away every time. The debut album of Royal Headache from Sydney, Australia. Make sure you check it out. Here's one song, but this album is full of great songs with loads op punk/pop/garage/soul.

• October 31, 2011 8:05 AM CDT
    • if you like drama you should attend one of our practices. death threats and occasional physical violence!

Petulant Child said:

Love the photo slideshow  and of course the DRAMA!!!! tee hee!! the discussions have been great and the podcasts..what don't I like my lack of skill to post my songs on the comp link and my lack of ability to download podcasts on to my phone which is an mp3 player!!!

• October 30, 2011 8:14 PM CDT
    • Love the photo slideshow  and of course the DRAMA!!!! tee hee!! the discussions have been great and the podcasts..what don't I like my lack of skill to post my songs on the comp link and my lack of ability to download podcasts on to my phone which is an mp3 player!!!

• October 30, 2011 11:13 PM CDT
    • ...In order for there not to have been a British Invasion , I think we need to consider (Not accept as a whole , if you don't want to.) other "What ifs" that are frequently brought up. I was talking to Michael Weldon of Psychotronic Video Magazine (Now website) , and he raised a very good point , and that is , what if Elvis had gone to Europe ? Colonel Tom Parker was an illegal immigrant from Holland , and lived in fear of extradition  , so , Elvis could never tour Europe , because The Colonel insisted on handling his affairs in person. The point Weldon made was , if Elvis had toured Europe in his prime , it would have caused a sensation , earlier on , making the British Invasion possibly unnecessary , or just different from what it turned out to be.....   But , you'd have to rule out other factors , like Chuck Berry not going to jail , Little Richard not going into the ministry , Jerry Lee Lewis not being crucified , Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran not dying horribly , Alan Freed not being made an "Example" of , Gene Vincent's career and personal life not going into steady decline (Except in Europe for the former. Had the first wave of Rock'n'Roll made it into the 60's , the up and coming English bands might have had more of a Rockabilly affiliation , though George Harrison's Guitar sound had Carl Perkins , another casualty , written all over it.).

But , there was'nt something of the magnitude of Elvis happening in England , nor here , between '58 and '60 , so they had to create something of their own. But , something that, unlike Johnny Kidd , Vince Taylor , Billy Fury and even Cliff Richard , could be successfully imported anywhere. Why The Beatles ? They understood American music , and what was largely missing from it , as did The Rolling Stones. But , of course , they were coming from different angles. If The Beatles had any Blues roots , they seem to have kept them under their sleeves. Likewise , The Stones' Rockabilly influences seemed completely hidden , but , they were there. This is'nt the first time you've read this , but , Post - JFK assassination America needed something to take it out of it's Funk , and The Beatles were it. But , The Stones , and bands like them , had more to do with the "Hey , WE can do that !" spirit that ushered in thousands of what we now call Garage Bands.   I could imagine young kids wanting  to start bands found The Beatles' vocal phrasing just as difficult as they would have The Beach Boys' high pitched nods to The Four Freshmen. Without The British Invasion , things would have been very different on both sides of The Atlantic. We may have had Motown , Girl Groups , Surf music , and the like , but , only Paul Revere and The Raiders , The Byrds , and a few others , were holding down the fort , armed with guitars , by '65. Only a handful of the great Garage bands had hits , and most of them only had only one , or maybe two. Perhaps , it did'nt matter. Youth had had it's say.

• October 30, 2011 10:56 PM CDT
    • if the british invasion never happened,would vox instruments be as popular? and would as many groups be using combo organs?

Would folk rock have happened without the british invasion? What would have the byrds done without a beatle beat to put with the pete seeger tunes? Would white american teenagers still be into blues and soul, unless they heard the stones do those songs first?

there would probably be less brian jones hairstyles around too. In fact the whole stage presentation of dressing up like that, and standing there playing, in that reserved british way, is what really seperates the brit invasion groups from the 50s rock and rollers.

• October 30, 2011 7:02 PM CDT
    • Well if the british invasion hadn't been than it would not be lot of rock n roll culture in my country Iceland.Maybe it has less to do with the U.S. People who groove up in this time like my parents look at the british invasion as a religion or something. You were a Beatle or Stoney nothing less or more. Because of our geographical isolation we only got the Major U.S artists on the radio these days. People were much more informed about what was happening in the UK. 

• October 30, 2011 5:57 PM CDT
    • Wow, what a fucked up alternate reality that would be!  "Hello, Cleveland!!  Are you ready to skiffle?!!"

Nick X said:

Bob Dylan, rather than the Beach Boys would be the act everyone would try to emulate, which would probably have evolved into a lot of byrds-y and Donovan like folk rock...which kinda did happen.

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:
      what was the real state of rock and roll in the us immediately pre  invasion? i don't think that the beach boys would have inspired many kids to start a band. that singin' was way too hard. by styalistic plateau do you meant stagnant? cause a lot of the end of swing days sounds to us like strictly going through the motions and doing what is expected.

Lendell Ervin said:

I absolutely agree with you, Nick. I'm merely posing the question.  If a British Invasion never took place what would our musical landscape sound like?  Would rock n roll have hit a prolonged stylistic plateau the same way swing and big band did a generation before?  Would a new sound come out of some over looked pocket of the country?

Nick X said:

Loe Reed once said the British shouldn't make rock n roll and while I can imagine sympathizing with the beatles ubiquitous captivation, I'm glad the British invasion happened. Some regional diversity is what America needed after the good ol commie-fearin' 50s. I also think that, while America was making raw, wild rock n roll before England, English bands like the stones, kinks and who brought a uniquely dismissive and disaffected attitude to rock that was very punk rock. The beatles  may have seemed like the whole of the British invasion to someone who was there but there really was an diversity of bands on either side of the Atlantic and even more r&b rooted rebellions against the beatles in the uk. You can definitely hear how the stones influenced the chocolate watchband, the remains, stooges, new York dolls, etc. Let's keep the British invasion.

• October 30, 2011 5:52 PM CDT
    • Yes. Stagnant.  By 1963 it was Bubble Gum, Teen Idol, Party Records, Doo-Wop, Surf.  There was the beginnings of a Folk movement and Motown was becoming a major player.  Most of the original acts had either died tragically, or had abandoned the genre.

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

what was the real state of rock and roll in the us immediately pre  invasion? i don't think that the beach boys would have inspired many kids to start a band. that singin' was way too hard. by styalistic plateau do you meant stagnant? cause a lot of the end of swing days sounds to us like strictly going through the motions and doing what is expected.

Lendell Ervin said:

I absolutely agree with you, Nick. I'm merely posing the question.  If a British Invasion never took place what would our musical landscape sound like?  Would rock n roll have hit a prolonged stylistic plateau the same way swing and big band did a generation before?  Would a new sound come out of some over looked pocket of the country?

Nick X said:

Loe Reed once said the British shouldn't make rock n roll and while I can imagine sympathizing with the beatles ubiquitous captivation, I'm glad the British invasion happened. Some regional diversity is what America needed after the good ol commie-fearin' 50s. I also think that, while America was making raw, wild rock n roll before England, English bands like the stones, kinks and who brought a uniquely dismissive and disaffected attitude to rock that was very punk rock. The beatles  may have seemed like the whole of the British invasion to someone who was there but there really was an diversity of bands on either side of the Atlantic and even more r&b rooted rebellions against the beatles in the uk. You can definitely hear how the stones influenced the chocolate watchband, the remains, stooges, new York dolls, etc. Let's keep the British invasion.

• October 30, 2011 10:31 PM CDT
    • Reg Presley said Buddy Holly and The Crickets were the first "Gare - edge" band in his esimation....You also had Link Wray and The Wraymen and The Wailers
      , as well , active before Elvis even went into the army.
      Lendell Ervin said:

This poses an interesting questions.  What if the British Invasion never happened?  I have started a thread to explore this topic.

What if the British Invasion never happened?

Mole said:

Hey come on, you couldn't have lived without the British Invasion!!! The mood of your country at the time dictated it...how come no US band blew everyone away in late '63/early '64 to the same extent that the Beatles et al did? I'm not on some kind of nationalist trip, I'm not "proud" to be English [merely an accident of birth - i had no say in the matter!!], just saying that for a number of reasons and factors, the time was right for the Beat groups to find their place in the US. Wow, you WOULD NOT have the garage explosion of 65/66 without it!! A broad generalisation, but EVERY ONE of those cats was influenced by the English groups - OK, a fair point that they were bringing America's rich musical heritage back home in a sense [there's no doubt that 'rock n roll' is an American movement], but bring it they sure did.

Frank N. Stroud said:

I guess a lot of the meat of this discussion depends on what you consider garage and what you don't.

In my humble opinion, there is more to garage than just influences and all garage did not descend from the 60s British Invasion (which I think (Rock History Blasphemy Warning) we could have lived without in America) as many would have us believe. Buddy Holly was recording his songs (played in a garage) in the fifties using Lo-fi equipment and his drummer thumping a cardboard box on Not Fade Away.

For my part, if it's too clean,polished and processed, it ain't garage.

I call my music "Garage" cause that's where I write it, play it and often record it. I realize too, that the conventional definition of the "G" word probably means something different to most people.   

• October 30, 2011 10:00 PM CDT
    • Yeah , it would have been...Dave's wife told me he literally had to carry a guitar with him , everywhere he went , because people would stop him and ask him to sing a song , all the time. He was the lone monk who really wanted to be a star , and , on a local level , he was , before the monks were re - discovered (I mean , discovered.), and , then , when the band reformed , he got the chance to "Mach Schau" and really be what he always wanted to be , a Rock'n'Roll Star.

joey fuckup said:

WOW! That would have been cool if that show had happened, though!

John Battles said:
      Joey , That's pretty cool. When SCOTS played at the first Estrus Shock (I think it was .) , the late , great , prince among men , Dave Day , of the monks , was tentatively set to do his regular Elvis act as "Elvismonk", with Southern Culture backing him. It did'nt happen , but , my Editor at Roctober , Jake Austen , was looking for him outside the venue (This was pre - monks reunion , but , they'd already met.) , and showed some people a current photo , asking if they'd seen him. A French guy said he'd been there and gone , signed a few autographs and left. Jake asked , how was he dressed? "HE HAD ON FULL MONKS COSTUME !!!" .

• October 30, 2011 8:51 PM CDT
    • Decided to go a different route with the Halloween show this year with nothing but songs about h-e-double-hockey-stick. Bed music courtesy of the Orgy of the Dead soundtrack. Enjoy!

Download or stream the entire Oct. 28 show right here.

Gonna Raise Hell – Cheap Trick
      Soul Brothers in Heaven & Hell – Andre Williams

Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell – Iggy & the Stooges
      Hell & What It Is – Rev. Emmett Dickinson
      Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers – ZZ Top
      Hell City Hell – The Supersuckers
      Hell – The Sixty-Niners

One Hell of a Weekend – Hank Thompson
      Raisin’ Hell – Run-DMC
      Hell Yes, I Cheated – Johnny Adams

Snowball in Hell – They Might Be Giants
      You Beat the Hell Out of Me – The Motors
      Hell of It – Chris Knox

Local Lunchbox
      I’m Gonna Burn in Hell, Hallelujah – The Mighty Lumberhorn
      Go to Hell – Couch Flambeau
      Living Hell – The Spanic Boys

Straight to Hell – The Booze
      It Must Be Hell – The Rolling Stones
      Hayride to Hell – Hoodoo Gurus
      Hellbound Train – The Lumberjack
      Hell Raiser – Sweet

Aloha From Hell – The Cramps
      Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound – Hank Williams Jr.
      Black Diamond Express to Hell Part I- Rev. A.W. Nix

Hell or High Water – Johnny Dowd
      War is Hell – Hugh X. Lewis
      Cold in Hell – the Misfits
      Solid Gold Hell – The Scientists

Back in Hell – Delaney Davidson
      Hellhound On My Trail – Robert Johnson
      Truck Drivers Hell – Sonny Cole
      Burning Hell – The Fleshtones
      Hell Hath No Fury – The M-80s

Burning in Hell – David Childers & the Modern Don Juans
      Burning Hell – John Lee Hooker