Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 30, 2011 5:50 PM CDT
    • Bob Dylan, rather than the Beach Boys would be the act everyone would try to emulate, which would probably have evolved into a lot of byrds-y and Donovan like folk rock...which kinda did happen.

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

what was the real state of rock and roll in the us immediately pre  invasion? i don't think that the beach boys would have inspired many kids to start a band. that singin' was way too hard. by styalistic plateau do you meant stagnant? cause a lot of the end of swing days sounds to us like strictly going through the motions and doing what is expected.

Lendell Ervin said:

I absolutely agree with you, Nick. I'm merely posing the question.  If a British Invasion never took place what would our musical landscape sound like?  Would rock n roll have hit a prolonged stylistic plateau the same way swing and big band did a generation before?  Would a new sound come out of some over looked pocket of the country?

Nick X said:

Loe Reed once said the British shouldn't make rock n roll and while I can imagine sympathizing with the beatles ubiquitous captivation, I'm glad the British invasion happened. Some regional diversity is what America needed after the good ol commie-fearin' 50s. I also think that, while America was making raw, wild rock n roll before England, English bands like the stones, kinks and who brought a uniquely dismissive and disaffected attitude to rock that was very punk rock. The beatles  may have seemed like the whole of the British invasion to someone who was there but there really was an diversity of bands on either side of the Atlantic and even more r&b rooted rebellions against the beatles in the uk. You can definitely hear how the stones influenced the chocolate watchband, the remains, stooges, new York dolls, etc. Let's keep the British invasion.

• October 30, 2011 5:32 PM CDT
    • what was the real state of rock and roll in the us immediately pre  invasion? i don't think that the beach boys would have inspired many kids to start a band. that singin' was way too hard. by styalistic plateau do you meant stagnant? cause a lot of the end of swing days sounds to us like strictly going through the motions and doing what is expected.

Lendell Ervin said:

I absolutely agree with you, Nick. I'm merely posing the question.  If a British Invasion never took place what would our musical landscape sound like?  Would rock n roll have hit a prolonged stylistic plateau the same way swing and big band did a generation before?  Would a new sound come out of some over looked pocket of the country?

Nick X said:

Loe Reed once said the British shouldn't make rock n roll and while I can imagine sympathizing with the beatles ubiquitous captivation, I'm glad the British invasion happened. Some regional diversity is what America needed after the good ol commie-fearin' 50s. I also think that, while America was making raw, wild rock n roll before England, English bands like the stones, kinks and who brought a uniquely dismissive and disaffected attitude to rock that was very punk rock. The beatles  may have seemed like the whole of the British invasion to someone who was there but there really was an diversity of bands on either side of the Atlantic and even more r&b rooted rebellions against the beatles in the uk. You can definitely hear how the stones influenced the chocolate watchband, the remains, stooges, new York dolls, etc. Let's keep the British invasion.

• October 30, 2011 5:20 PM CDT
    • I absolutely agree with you, Nick. I'm merely posing the question.  If a British Invasion never took place what would our musical landscape sound like?  Would rock n roll have hit a prolonged stylistic plateau the same way swing and big band did a generation before?  Would a new sound come out of some over looked pocket of the country?

Nick X said:

• October 30, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
    • love vu but the old saw about everyone who bought the 1st album starting a band is probably more true about the early stones albums. that nasty edge and seeming simplicity and jagger's yellin' made everybody think they could do it.

Nick X said:

• October 30, 2011 5:06 PM CDT
    • *meant to say I can sympathize with bot liking the beatles during their early days. Not sure how to edit that on my phone.

Nick X said:

• October 30, 2011 4:59 PM CDT
    • Loe Reed once said the British shouldn't make rock n roll and while I can imagine sympathizing with the beatles ubiquitous captivation, I'm glad the British invasion happened. Some regional diversity is what America needed after the good ol commie-fearin' 50s. I also think that, while America was making raw, wild rock n roll before England, English bands like the stones, kinks and who brought a uniquely dismissive and disaffected attitude to rock that was very punk rock. The beatles  may have seemed like the whole of the British invasion to someone who was there but there really was an diversity of bands on either side of the Atlantic and even more r&b rooted rebellions against the beatles in the uk. You can definitely hear how the stones influenced the chocolate watchband, the remains, stooges, new York dolls, etc. Let's keep the British invasion.

• October 30, 2011 4:20 PM CDT
    • we think the first 3 stones albums are the basic template of "classic" garage. can't deal with the beatles objectively as we have no use for them. other than to not care for that is.

• October 30, 2011 2:16 PM CDT
    • I was reading the replies in the "Is Garage Trendy?" discussion when I came a cross an exchange between Mole and Frank N. Stroud...

Frank N. Stroud said,

"I guess a lot of the meat of this discussion depends on what you consider garage and what you don't.

In my humble opinion, there is more to garage than just influences and all garage did not descend from the 60s British Invasion (which I think (Rock History Blasphemy Warning) we could have lived without in America) as many would have us believe. Buddy Holly was recording his songs (played in a garage) in the fifties using Lo-fi equipment and his drummer thumping a cardboard box on Not Fade Away."

And then Mole replied,

"Hey come on, you couldn't have lived without the British Invasion!!! The mood of your country at the time dictated it...how come no US band blew everyone away in late '63/early '64 to the same extent that the Beatles et al did? I'm not on some kind of nationalist trip, I'm not "proud" to be English [merely an accident of birth - i had no say in the matter!!], just saying that for a number of reasons and factors, the time was right for the Beat groups to find their place in the US. Wow, you WOULD NOT have the garage explosion of 65/66 without it!! A broad generalisation, but EVERY ONE of those cats was influenced by the English groups - OK, a fair point that they were bringing America's rich musical heritage back home in a sense [there's no doubt that 'rock n roll' is an American movement], but bring it they sure did."

It's 1964.  The Kingsmen have released "Louie, Louie".  The Beach Boys and surf are big. And, the Girl Groups are in full swing. So, what if?

• October 30, 2011 4:09 PM CDT
    • This poses an interesting questions.  What if the British Invasion never happened?  I have started a thread to explore this topic.

What if the British Invasion never happened?

Mole said:

Hey come on, you couldn't have lived without the British Invasion!!! The mood of your country at the time dictated it...how come no US band blew everyone away in late '63/early '64 to the same extent that the Beatles et al did? I'm not on some kind of nationalist trip, I'm not "proud" to be English [merely an accident of birth - i had no say in the matter!!], just saying that for a number of reasons and factors, the time was right for the Beat groups to find their place in the US. Wow, you WOULD NOT have the garage explosion of 65/66 without it!! A broad generalisation, but EVERY ONE of those cats was influenced by the English groups - OK, a fair point that they were bringing America's rich musical heritage back home in a sense [there's no doubt that 'rock n roll' is an American movement], but bring it they sure did.

Frank N. Stroud said:

I guess a lot of the meat of this discussion depends on what you consider garage and what you don't.

In my humble opinion, there is more to garage than just influences and all garage did not descend from the 60s British Invasion (which I think (Rock History Blasphemy Warning) we could have lived without in America) as many would have us believe. Buddy Holly was recording his songs (played in a garage) in the fifties using Lo-fi equipment and his drummer thumping a cardboard box on Not Fade Away.

For my part, if it's too clean,polished and processed, it ain't garage.

I call my music "Garage" cause that's where I write it, play it and often record it. I realize too, that the conventional definition of the "G" word probably means something different to most people.   

• October 30, 2011 12:25 PM CDT
    • that's something people take for granted. how cool that you point it out as your favorite thing.

The Hashbrowns said:

my (craig) favorite thing about this website is all the amazing art the users share. garagepunk is a fine collection of talented people.

• October 30, 2011 12:20 PM CDT
    • my (craig) favorite thing about this website is all the amazing art the users share. garagepunk is a fine collection of talented people.

• October 30, 2011 12:01 PM CDT
    • I mean if you want to find out what's going on at Panic Room (Essen) they have a nasty myspace site. And I don't think they update it that regularly, so that it's often easier for me to walk past it on the way to clients than to look on the site. The "bloody" wouldn't tell you that I live in Essen though as I'm an ex-pat.

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

hi mike,

what is your city? from the "bloody" we bet it ain't tulsa! a bit confused as to how the bars are tuned into myspace or the way that a bar could be tuned into garage punk hideout. do you mean that their websites feature music or bands from myspace?

Mike Humsgreen said:

It's all about the podcasts, those things are where I learn about cool new (to me) music. It's a bit of a shame though that the bars in my city aren't tuned into this site, instead they are on myspace which grinds my computer to a halt every time I use the bloody thing.

• October 30, 2011 11:36 AM CDT
    • It was the music that drew me here initially although most of the people I talk to on the 'net I met through here as well. 

I don't go out too much, but if I hit a rockabilly, punk, etc. store or bar I'm amazed that they aren't playing stuff from here or most haven't necessarily heard of it. We proud garage soldiers should correct this. Start with some serious word o' mouth and if that don't work jump behind the counters and turn the digital station. 

• October 30, 2011 11:02 AM CDT
    • The only negative I could say is that the frequent, on topic (non spam) discussion around here seems to only be limited to a handful of members, I mean, there is obviously a lot information shared between all of us but I belonged to a garage punk forum several years ago (I'm not sure about the relation) and all the forums, regular discussion and promotion, moved REALLY fast.

• October 30, 2011 7:44 AM CDT
    • hi mike,

what is your city? from the "bloody" we bet it ain't tulsa! a bit confused as to how the bars are tuned into myspace or the way that a bar could be tuned into garage punk hideout. do you mean that their websites feature music or bands from myspace?

Mike Humsgreen said:

It's all about the podcasts, those things are where I learn about cool new (to me) music. It's a bit of a shame though that the bars in my city aren't tuned into this site, instead they are on myspace which grinds my computer to a halt every time I use the bloody thing.

• October 30, 2011 3:12 AM CDT
    • It's all about the podcasts, those things are where I learn about cool new (to me) music. It's a bit of a shame though that the bars in my city aren't tuned into this site, instead they are on myspace which grinds my computer to a halt every time I use the bloody thing.

• October 30, 2011 1:05 AM CDT
    • Favorite thing: Discovering new music, I mean old music that is new to me!

Least favorite thing: All the action seems focused in the main forum and not enough going on in the groups.

• October 29, 2011 9:45 PM CDT
    • thanks mardy. i think we used the word "petty" wrongly. we meant small not mean.

Mardy Pune said:

My Favourite thing about the site are the Podcasts, closely followed by the good people I've met here.

There's not a lot to not like here, did that make sense?? I can't be bothered been petty, there's enough negative crap on the internet already...

• October 29, 2011 5:52 PM CDT
    • My Favourite thing about the site are the Podcasts, closely followed by the good people I've met here.

There's not a lot to not like here, did that make sense?? I can't be bothered been petty, there's enough negative crap on the internet already...

• October 30, 2011 11:02 AM CDT
    • Well chosen.

Nick X said:

This may be more R&B than garage but, eh, garage wasn't even a thing in the 60s, it's all rock n roll:

• October 30, 2011 10:32 AM CDT
    • This may be more R&B than garage but, eh, garage wasn't even a thing in the 60s, it's all rock n roll:

• October 30, 2011 8:15 AM CDT
    • I play an Ibanez Jet King Bass, with a modified tone pot, into an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n, into a Boss ME-20B (not a big fan of this, but I use it as my "spice rack" and not my "main ingredient"), into an Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man Deluxe, into a Mark Bass head and finally into Ampeg 4x10 HLF cab.

Favorite Tone:  Thunderous-growling-fuzz with a haunting reverse echo and reverb, channeling the ghost of Deep Purple's organ as produced by Phil Spector. Nasty.

• October 29, 2011 10:44 PM CDT
    • WOW! That would have been cool if that show had happened, though!

John Battles said:

Joey , That's pretty cool. When SCOTS played at the first Estrus Shock (I think it was .) , the late , great , prince among men , Dave Day , of the monks , was tentatively set to do his regular Elvis act as "Elvismonk", with Southern Culture backing him. It did'nt happen , but , my Editor at Roctober , Jake Austen , was looking for him outside the venue (This was pre - monks reunion , but , they'd already met.) , and showed some people a current photo , asking if they'd seen him. A French guy said he'd been there and gone , signed a few autographs and left. Jake asked , how was he dressed? "HE HAD ON FULL MONKS COSTUME !!!" .

• October 29, 2011 7:12 PM CDT
    • Joey , That's pretty cool. When SCOTS played at the first Estrus Shock (I think it was .) , the late , great , prince among men , Dave Day , of the monks , was tentatively set to do his regular Elvis act as "Elvismonk", with Southern Culture backing him. It did'nt happen , but , my Editor at Roctober , Jake Austen , was looking for him outside the venue (This was pre - monks reunion , but , they'd already met.) , and showed some people a current photo , asking if they'd seen him. A French guy said he'd been there and gone , signed a few autographs and left. Jake asked , how was he dressed? "HE HAD ON FULL MONKS COSTUME !!!" .