Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 30, 2011 12:49 PM CDT
    • :) try the "fuzz flaykes & shakes vol.2" compilation...

(e)

Dave r said:

well, thanks...

would like to hear the original now...

dublÉ said:

fyi: "stronger than dirt" is not a mummies song... think it's by a 60's band called soul inc.

Dave r said:

stronger than dirt.... the mummies....

• September 30, 2011 4:48 AM CDT
    • well, thanks...

would like to hear the original now...

dublÉ said:

fyi: "stronger than dirt" is not a mummies song... think it's by a 60's band called soul inc.

Dave r said:

• September 30, 2011 3:26 AM CDT
    • If a cover, I would choose a classical one, "Waiting for the man" by Lou Reed. But I´d prefer to play it at the end of the set. That´s only my opinion, Fikki.

• September 30, 2011 1:57 AM CDT
    • fyi: "stronger than dirt" is not a mummies song... think it's by a 60's band called soul inc.

Dave r said:

• September 30, 2011 12:25 PM CDT
    • Show #343: "The Eggman Collection #103"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection, which originally was an old tape/cd collection of songs that I like. Now since I have little time due to work and stuff, I made it into a radio program. It's a big mix of songs I like, no matter what they are, what genre, style, or era...whatever...If I like it, I play it. This provides a big potpourri of music from all sorts of different artists, and also brings out several guilty pleasures you wouldn't expect me to listen to. Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 103rd installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Karftwerk, The Turtles, The Baroques, John Fahey, Deerfield, The Sunshine Company, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Steppenwolf, Groundhogs, Small Faces, Focal Point, Blues Creation, David Bowie, The American Way, Paul McCartney & Wings, The Parrots, Amon Duul II, Ash Ra Tempel and many many more!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live, listen to past shows, view playlists, etc…check out my website: eggmanrulez.com/ or wscafm.org (click on "listen live") Friday nights at 10pm EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• September 30, 2011 6:11 AM CDT
    • Does Lux Interiors Bloodcurdler at the start of 'Love Me' count??? Me'thinks it does, people!

• September 30, 2011 1:36 AM CDT
    • The Fanatics - Woman                    (wha wha WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

(unreleased)

• September 30, 2011 2:22 AM CDT
    • sad news. Have a nice trip, master!

• September 30, 2011 1:44 AM CDT
    • This week the legendary frontman of Cuby & The Blizzards died. He had cancer. In Holland he is a legend. He was 70 years old.

Cuby & The Blizzards - Stumble and Fall (1965)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlehJz8o1-0

• September 30, 2011 1:31 AM CDT
    • Hell yeah, the Eddie Noack version sticks out. Always loved me some Tex Edwards!

Right, Hydrohead is not filthy per se, it rather falls into the section the SPAZZ line of songs, that do a bit too much ;)

Also, sorry for the Louie Louie misspelling there everyone! YIKES!

John Battles said:

I've never heard of George Jones doing Psycho . Jack Kittell wrote and recorded it , and he wrote songs for George Jones , too. My friend , Tex Edwards , used to preface his version by saying "When he wrote this , he said "Don't let anybody know I wrote this til after I'm dead"....Well , he's dead , so we can celebrate !". Eddie Noack's version is the best - known early version , though.

The Stooges' "Metallic K.O." version of "Louie , Louie" is truly filthy , though most of it is based on the FBI's (100% inaccurate) transcription of The Kingsmen's hit version.

The Ejectors ! From Ft. Worth ! I SAW THEM ONCE , IN 1982 .... I think they were all , or mostly , still teenagers. They rocked.     I never noticed that "Hydrohead" had "Dirty " lyrics , but , I don't own a copy.

IDON MINE said:

I like it when songs spit into the face of evil by taking up it's wording. It's great when it's straight forward and in your face, but I can go without the macho bullshit, though.

I think it became kind of a thing to write crazy songs later on though, "the tougher the better!" kind of. Some people are just sick jerks I guess.

Here's a list don't blame me...

Lazy Cowgirls - Goddamn Bottle (In your face low life RNR the way it's meant to be).

The Irving Klaws - Loveslide - Great Song about female domination, love it.

Fucking in the Graveyard - Jerk Alert. FUN FUN FUN!

The Headcoatees - Come into my mouth - makes priests go deaf and the Queens head explode.

Granola Head - The Queers - rather stupid song on hippies. Tounge in cheek I'd say - not really spitefull, but smart ironic lyrics. The Queers would say different though.

Those are really, er, off I'd say...

The Ejectors - "Hydrohead" way creepy song, way wrong.

Jailbait, Pussy Stank - Andre Williams, that old sleaze nut.

Porter Wagoner - Rubber Room - classic, you'll know it. CREEPY.

Psycho - George Jones - Ya wanna take a shower after that one, ugh.

Zodiac - The Rip Offs - Popish Song on said serial Killer. CREEP FACTOR FIVE 

70's (?) Live version of Luie Luie by Iggy - where he let's out the inner party jerk.

• September 29, 2011 8:28 PM CDT
    • I've never heard of George Jones doing Psycho . Jack Kittell wrote and recorded it , and he wrote songs for George Jones , too. My friend , Tex Edwards , used to preface his version by saying "When he wrote this , he said "Don't let anybody know I wrote this til after I'm dead"....Well , he's dead , so we can celebrate !". Eddie Noack's version is the best - known early version , though.

The Stooges' "Metallic K.O." version of "Louie , Louie" is truly filthy , though most of it is based on the FBI's (100% inaccurate) transcription of The Kingsmen's hit version.

The Ejectors ! From Ft. Worth ! I SAW THEM ONCE , IN 1982 .... I think they were all , or mostly , still teenagers. They rocked.     I never noticed that "Hydrohead" had "Dirty " lyrics , but , I don't own a copy.

IDON MINE said:

I like it when songs spit into the face of evil by taking up it's wording. It's great when it's straight forward and in your face, but I can go without the macho bullshit, though.

I think it became kind of a thing to write crazy songs later on though, "the tougher the better!" kind of. Some people are just sick jerks I guess.

Lazy Cowgirls - Goddamn Bottle (In your face low life RNR the way it's meant to be).

The Headcoatees - Come into my mouth - makes priests go deaf and the Queens head explode.

Granola Head - The Queers - rather stupid song on hippies. Tounge in cheek I'd say - not really spitefull, but smart ironic lyrics. The Queers would say different though.

70's (?) Live version of Luie Luie by Iggy - where he let's out the inner party jerk.

• September 29, 2011 3:32 PM CDT
    • HA! I like it with some guts! Check the comps MOTEL LOVERS and DOWN AN OUT on TRIKONT for some great gems of ballsy Soul.

On a side note, off topic: I'd love to hear some of the Esquerita and Little Richard queer love songs, they did early on before they had to be rewritten, so they wouldn't get them killed and could actually be released.

John Battles said:

I'd forgotten about those lyrics to " Davey "....I KNOW IT'S NOT TO COOL TO LIKE SOUL MUSIC THAT HAS SOME BALLS , BUT , I'VE ALWAYS LIKED JOE TEX. Of course , like a lot of his peers , he was around before they called it "Soul" , doing what most people would just call R'n'B. THE LIST OF FUTURE SOUL STARS WHO STARTED OUT DOING GREAT LITTLE RICHARD KNOCKOFFS GOES ON AND ON - Joe Tex , James Brown , Otis Redding , Don Covay .....  

IDON MINE said:

Joe is one of the weirdest out there! His early rough soul tracks make me wonder someone ever had him record a love balad. PNEUMONIA also come to mind, where he is love sick and says he's "gonna blacken both of her eyes!" He has some other really psycho ones, can't think of them now.

G'DAMN CREEP! 

swt said:

Ona recent episode of The Big Enchilada, I played "Davy, You Upset My Home" by Joe Tex. It's about a guy who's jealous because his girl is really into Davy Crockett. (I think this is from the late '50s when Davy Crockett was a very popular TV show.)

The girl even buys Davy Crockett false teeth because, Joe sings, "I punched her in the mouth last night."

Another line: "I whipped her so until she went insane. And now she wants to buy herself a Davy Crockett brain."

• September 29, 2011 3:26 PM CDT
    • I like it when songs spit into the face of evil by taking up it's wording. It's great when it's straight forward and in your face, but I can go without the macho bullshit, though.

• September 29, 2011 3:06 PM CDT
    • I've never heard of that version....I have the one by The Monks (Not The American G.I.s gone Dada in the German Garage Gods, but Hudson and Ford from Strawbs.), it's pretty good , pretty Pub Rock.

Mr Yates said:

I do remember a song from when I was about 13, by a band called Dave and the Deros called "Nice Legs, Shame About the Face".

What about any song by the 4skins or any white power stuff always pretty racist and offensive

• September 29, 2011 3:02 PM CDT
    • I almost forgot ...What was the title of that UN - P.C. song "Be Cool (Somebody , Dave , Jimmy , I forget) is Dancing With a Sissy " by Joe Tex....However , he does turn around and say "Well , some people like that , you know....".

It's like the classic "Gay Blade" episode of "Sanford and Son". "It's your THANG , do what you wanna do....".

• September 29, 2011 2:59 PM CDT
    • I'd forgotten about those lyrics to " Davey "....I KNOW IT'S NOT TO COOL TO LIKE SOUL MUSIC THAT HAS SOME BALLS , BUT , I'VE ALWAYS LIKED JOE TEX. Of course , like a lot of his peers , he was around before they called it "Soul" , doing what most people would just call R'n'B. THE LIST OF FUTURE SOUL STARS WHO STARTED OUT DOING GREAT LITTLE RICHARD KNOCKOFFS GOES ON AND ON - Joe Tex , James Brown , Otis Redding , Don Covay .....  

IDON MINE said:

Joe is one of the weirdest out there! His early rough soul tracks make me wonder someone ever had him record a love balad. PNEUMONIA also come to mind, where he is love sick and says he's "gonna blacken both of her eyes!" He has some other really psycho ones, can't think of them now.

G'DAMN CREEP! 

swt said:

Ona recent episode of The Big Enchilada, I played "Davy, You Upset My Home" by Joe Tex. It's about a guy who's jealous because his girl is really into Davy Crockett. (I think this is from the late '50s when Davy Crockett was a very popular TV show.)

The girl even buys Davy Crockett false teeth because, Joe sings, "I punched her in the mouth last night."

Another line: "I whipped her so until she went insane. And now she wants to buy herself a Davy Crockett brain."

• September 29, 2011 2:45 PM CDT
    • Joe is one of the weirdest out there! His early rough soul tracks make me wonder someone ever had him record a love balad. PNEUMONIA also come to mind, where he is love sick and says he's "gonna blacken both of her eyes!" He has some other really psycho ones, can't think of them now.

G'DAMN CREEP! 

swt said:

• September 30, 2011 1:16 AM CDT
    • 006 - Like What, Me Worry

• September 29, 2011 8:37 PM CDT
    •  I almost forgot , "Lois ,Lois " by Superman's Girlfriend ( Dallas - Fort Worth Punk/New WAVE GROUP.). It's a hilarious , concieved on the spot , number about Superman , his girlfriend ,Lois Lane ,  his best friend , Jimmy Olsen , and the boss at The Dailey Planet , Perry Stewart (Local Rock writer for Buddy Magazine.) , instead of Perry White (OK , he gets mentioned once.). Singer , Erin Humphries ,assumed the identity of "Lois"on stage , and after the band performed a one - shot reunion (BUT THEY DID'NT DO "LOIS , LOIS "!!!), a few years ago , ERIN STARTED A NEW BAND CALLED "Lois's Last Good Nerve". Their other singer , Jim Nabors , did NOT assume the identity of Gomer Pyle.

• September 29, 2011 2:51 PM CDT
    • "Alice Cooper , you know , everybody bothers Alice Cooper so much ,to where he can't even open his mouth !" Roky Erickson.

• September 29, 2011 5:56 PM CDT
    • Gonerfest was awesome this year. I'm still in recovery mode.

• September 29, 2011 5:18 PM CDT
    • Gonerfest 8 Review

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily represent official policy or position of Garagepunk.com, its advertisers, members or any other decent member of society.

I got into town on Thursday afternoon and got some catfish and hush puppies at “Soul Fish” that were terrific.  There was an Australian band (Psychotic Reaction) playing outside Louie’s Pizza.  They sounded somewhere between MC5 and Black Sabbath with lots of echo on the vocals and fuzz on the guitar.  They were pretty good.  The Limes and Jack Oblivian played outside Goner.  Sounded too country/Bruce Springsteen for me (although I heard a song off the record that I kinda liked ).  Not terrible, just a bit boring to me.  They did do a Roky Erikson song; "I Walked With A Zombie" though.

Thursday night may have been my favorite at the Hi Tone. 

Sex Cult - I remember liking the band, but not much else. 

Hans Condor - You know how live Guitar Wolf is more about feeling the rock than playing the songs?  They were like that but more MC5 like; lots of jumping around and going out in the crowd, falling down on their knees, flashing the devil horn hand sign, etc.  The crowd got into it. 

Mikal Cronin - good, hard rocking pop with nice harmony vocals. 

Royal Headache (Australia), was really good.  Catchy upbeat punk, not hardcore, not too pop.  They made me very happy and it was the most fun pit (no circle, just bopping up and down) I had been in definitely in a decade or more and maybe even ever.  No feeling of anger, fear, or revenge or anything.  Great! 

OBNIII (Austin) was next and they continued with more of the same only different.  I didn't want to like them because they were good looking but I couldn't help it. 

Ty Segal had been doing the one man band thing but he had a band this time (including Mikal Cronin on bass).  I thought he was pretty good but not great.  Maybe I'd had too much fun.  He did do "Television Addict”, though. 

There was an afterparty at some place that was almost like a speakeasy.  Can’t remember the name right now.  I'd been driving and drinking and bopping all day and at 3am was just too knackered to make it past the first band (they were ok) and I hadn't heard of the other two playing after that so I split.

Friday, I went to The BBQ Shop for a sandwich for lunch then it was off to the Buccaneer for bands outside.  I met up with some new friends then got in the endless line for PBR drafts ($5 for a bottomless cup).  You couldn’t really see the band so as soon as you got your beer, back to the end of the line and you’d be ready for another by the time you got back to the front.

Cyclops – A punk 2 piece (male guitarist, female drummer, both sang) dressed like cavemen with a big fake eye on their foreheads.  Dumb catchy Ramones/Cramps type stuff.  Pretty good dumb fun. 

There were two other bands that didn't catch my attention.

Ryan Rousseau  - He has been in tons of bands that I have heard the names of but wasn't so familiar with the music (REATARDS, TOKYO ELECTRON, DIGITAL LEATHER, WONGS) but I will be soon.  Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboard, and drums.  Kinda drony, jangly, psyche folk pop.  Pretty good.  I will buy his album when it comes out.

Straight Arrows - (Australia) def one of my favorites, maybe even the favorite.  Good poppy punky songs.  Nice energy.

Back to the Motel 6 (good location) then back to the BBQ Shop for ribs this time.  Yum!

Friday at the Hi Tone was my least favorite night.  The first band was Aquafuzz with Harlan T Bobo on gtr/vocals.  They were a really good rock and roll band.  They have an album coming out in a month or so and I'm completely getting it. 

Midnight Snaxxx - 3 ladies.  Ramonesy type punk.  Just not so great.

James Arthur's Manhunt - ok punk with lota of delay, etc on the guitar.  Again not so hot.

Mean Jeans - they were so punk that I didn't care.

Icky Boyfriends - Interesting.  Old weirdos making slow to mid tempo, simple organized racket and ranting (not so much screaming).  So socially awkward / retarded they made me look well adjusted.  I didn't not like them but I don't know if I could listen to them again unless I was doing a case study.

Gories - They were just what you expected out of the Gories; complete and utter Fun with a capital F.

Afterparty at that speakeasy place again.

Acid Baby Jesus - From Greece.  Very Black Lips but a bit different.  Coming to StL soon.  I'm going.

Cheap Time (Nashville) – I saw them when they played Lost Cross a few years ago and it was supposed to be a big deal.  I wasn’t so impressed at that time but are much better / stronger now.  Reference early Jam, Generation X.

Peach Kelli Pop - Girlie guitar pop.  Kept waiting for Molly Ringwald lookalike costume malfunction (I'm a dirty old man).  No luck.  5am, time for bed.

Saturday - hamburger and coffee for breakfast at Huey's.  That place is bullshit; like Crapplebees/TGIFudpuckers but not a chain, more expensive and just not good.

Murphy's for bands inside and out (overlapping on purpose?).  Highlights = Shirks (punk), Real Numbers (kinda cute quirky guitar pop), Kitchen's Floor (Australia again.  Like PIL and Gang of Four but not as noisy or funky).  Couldn't take Rev John Wilkins.  I've had enough gospel for one life, thank you.

Saturday night at the Hi Tone was very entertaining.

Black Sunday - Alicja from River City Tanlines/Lost Sounds, etc.  Good C+

Brides – From Chicago (1 or 2 were in VeeDee, I think).  Very strong, Pagans/Devil Dogs just straight ahead hard fast punk.  I liked them very much. 

Deaf Wish - Aus. yet again.  Like Sonic Youth but less artsy intellectual, more emotionally disturbed.  OK.

Shannon and the Clams - Pretty awesome.  They look like they just walked off the set of a John Waters movie.  Very 50's, S.C.O.T.S., B-52s, nice male / female harmonies plus a little growl, serial killer/religious cult/stalker songs.  Great fun; a good amount of kitsch but musicianship and songs to back it up.  Live (even better than their record) Shannon sounds like Lulu or Wanda Jackson.  She's pretty and big...big!  I told her I liked her set and wanted to see more then I said I liked the music as well (ba-dump-bump!).  I've listened to the album about 5 or 6 times already.  You can tell they're going to get better, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Apw1lR9lc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCWvKnZRSw&feature=related

Alarm Clocks - They did that "No Reason To Complain" song that everyone's covered.  They are old, like Gonn but still played well especially the guitarist.  The Cynics and many others owe them big time.  They have a new album coming out.  It may actually be good (to be produced by Jim Diamond).  I bought their live album that came out last year – pretty good.

Human Eye - Like Hawkwind - saxophone + more punk (shorter faster simpler songs) and still lots of synth, guitar effects, spacey stuff.  Really cool and great fun.  Lead singer looks like a cross between Jack Black and Clint Howard (sexy).  Ran into them at the afterparty at the Buccaneer and they creamed over my Hawkwind t-shirt. 

Afterparty was back at the Buc.  People freaked out over the Royal Pendletons.  I wanted to like them but just couldn’t get into it.  Not drunk enough and/or too tired, I guess.  It was 5am anyway and time to go nightnight.

Sunday - Catfish, blackeyed peas, and collard greens for breakfast at Soul Fish.  Coffee was chunky style.  Stocked up on Schaefer Light, Yeungling, and Genesee (an old man beer I'd never had - tastes like beer) and flaked off back home.

In general, I spent way too much money but had a great time.  I'm in love with rock and roll.

• September 29, 2011 5:07 PM CDT
    • gories - houserockin
      dwarves - blood guts and pussy
      supercharger - s/t
      reatards - teenage hate
      mummies - never been caught

• September 29, 2011 3:03 PM CDT
    • Kopper, I think we have a very similar list.  "Here are the Sonics", "Black Monk Time", "Soul Food", and "Destroy Oh Boy" are definitely on my favorites list.  Also, I'd add"

The Kingsmen - In Person

Minor Threat- Complete Discography

Mooney Suzuki- Electric Sweat

Radio Birdman- Radios Appear

The Gories- Houserockin'

Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

kopper said:

Off the top of my head...

Dead Boys: Young, Loud & Snotty

The Sonics: Here Are The Sonics!!!

New Bomb Turks: Destroy-Oh-Boy!

The Real Kids self-titled LP