Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 26, 2011 4:46 AM CDT
    • Uhm, I'm stupid, my two posts ARE there... well SORRY folks!

• September 26, 2011 4:44 AM CDT
    • Yep, just right.

For me it's that some playstyle get's picked up by bands that are either looking for a starting sound OR a good image to pick and trend with it. So they pick up what of Garagepunk is on right now and that is the bands that make it big.

I had the lost comment thing to, .... so here goes again: I get the old blank stare story too when I mention bands other then those appearing on the pop/iTunes Storefront radar. Mention the White Stripes (don't get angry folks, it's merely an example for widespread success for a band that most Nickelback/mainstream rockfans still feel is "crap and too badly mixed") and people light up. Mention the FUZZZZTONES + antics and history and no one knows a damn thing. PLUS you get the weirdo face.

Good with me :) but a band like the FUZZTONES who hardly compromise, WOULD deserve all the big crowd consumer cash (NOT corporation cash, mind you) they can get thrown at with. Same goes for mayor WS inspirations FLAT DUO JETS and Royal Trux. Off the radar, but I would love to see DEX and Family get all the right attention they deserve.

That would not take away from the White Stripes success, but help teach the dull noggins consumer out there some RNR history.

The thing is that bands like WS / BL get all the cred from the public for rewiving a genre, when "all" they did is make it popular with great records and even better marketing. + They are young and good looking.

If anyone, the old bands that served as their inspiration, deserve the attention just like the young bands do. I'm not saying this because "I'm pissed at the music industry" or something, but because some few people get stuff mixed up here and anger post their asses off - its good to make the differnce between sell out yells and close looks at the trend that Garage sounds and bands now are. It makes some of the wrong people money, while the good folks slaving out for years get back to their dayjobs to rack up the money to cut LPs once every five years - that is all.

Again, to those who make this a hate fest: I guess it's important to make the diversion between low-fi (considering production not tone) Garagepunk bands and ones that made it big with their sound (fill in name), not out of snob reasons, but fairness. This community alone is "JUST" a couple of thousand people - compare that to record sales of a LARGE band, that is nothing. In small press that is EVERYTHING. It's obvious why it's good to support seemingly small bands for years, that serve as "inspiration" for the HOT bands out there to start their engines with big money.

Look at the A-bones or Eric Davidson, they shed light on so many great bands again and again.

They mostly only have their raw love for RNR to keep them going, not the Diva-esque sound curator derpession of people-gone-stars, that anxiously need to dig for new sounds to give their slick albums the paint of some REAL DIRT.

Michelle Magnero said:

Just spent 15 minutes writing my post and it got deleted, so I don't know how this one will turn out but I will try...Ok, so first of all I think a couple of the bands are slightly popular/ trendy, but not the genre. Most of the people I know either do not like it or don't know who the bands are. When I think about why it is that a couple/handful of the bands have managed to cross over into the mainstream my two favorite examples to use are White Stripes and Black Lips, both of whom have been discussed elsewhere on this board. If you think about each of these bands and how/why they got popular (and also take into consideration that we are talking about two different time periods here- WS in 2000/ early 2000's and BL in the later part of the decade) one thing that becomes obvious to me is that they both became successful because of some kind of branding or selling of a concept, none of which, if you really think about it, has anything to do with the music they are playing. (Some of you on here may be able to think of things such as the equipment they use or build, etc., that connects the image to the sound,  but remember that you already have a background knowledge about this that the general public does not, thus they probably won't consider it.) So with BL, think about how back before they were on Vice the garage community seemed a little stand-offish against them (even when they were on ITR). Well partly I think the reason for this may have been because they were so young and looked a little hipster-ish. (And also the fact that they have admitted in their interviews that in the old days they didn't even really know how to play and just relied on shock value at their shows.)So once they landed on Vice the kids went, oh, they look edgy or whatever, let's listen to this. With WS, ten years ago: WS was a buzz band, people thought it was cute. They thought all those bands from Sweden were cute. THEY WERE NOT. (Sorry Swedish GRH members.) Someone brought up the example of Oblivians and I think it is a great one, so I will use it again: These kids that like BL are not going to look at old Oblivians LPs and go, they look cool, I think I will listen to this- because they don't know the TIME PERIOD or the GENRE. And they don't care about it. Two more quick things then I will shut up- 1. The Mummies: for whatever reason for quite a long time it has seemed to me that if someone only knew one garage band, it was the Mummies. Usually these people were hipsters. If I think about another band a lot of people know, you have Man or Astroman. They are so big that people who like this band and do not like primarily garage refuse to acknowledge that they are a garage rock band. My suspicion is that it is because they don't know enough about the genre to know that MoA plays a sub-genre of garage. 2. Blaine: No we are not cool, for me what liking garage means is that people think you are weird and that your music sucks/ all sounds the same :)

• September 25, 2011 1:15 PM CDT
    • oops, sorry!

Rob Wright said:

Hey Dave, you'd have to ask Rob Wright from NoMeansNo, I'm not him!  Cheers, Rob

dave machine said:

Garage sure isn't trendy in northern British Columbia, which is why bands can't be dangerous up here. It's hard enough getting gigs at the northern folk festivals (and we do like playing them, it's all we have, plus it's a good way to get in free to a three day party). Bands are thrown out for being too rock and roll, sad but true. So no swearing at the audience or spitting whiskey on them - just ask a band called the Turncoats about their Kispiox experience.

I'm curious to know how NoMeansNo did at Atlin or Dawson City a couple years back? (sorry I didn't make it, it's still two days driving north of here) I used to love seeing NoMeansNo and never felt in danger near the stage. Moshing used to be a lot less violent than it is now, and it was fun. Rock and roll should be fun. I totally agree that passion and energy are often lacking, and are a requirement. But after our first gig a few years ago where we almost got into fights with local rednecks at the local pub, we decided that isn't the way to go for rockers in their 30s and 40s. Passion and energy can just mean a good fucking time is had by all.

• September 26, 2011 4:44 AM CDT
    • kopper said:

I've been hunting for the Big Itch Vol. 1 for years. If anyone has it (and can rip some high-quality MP3s of it), please let me know.

It's available again. I got my copy a couple of years ago from Crypt I think.

Some great comps not mentioned yet:

• September 25, 2011 3:22 PM CDT
    • it's just because of time - try to put 3 LP's on 1 CD- this doesn't work

by the way i have all of the records mentioned above expect (MADAME RITARD'S HORRORS OF THE WAX MUSEUM) - i've ripped most of them to my PC a few years ago - drop me a line if you're interested in complete soundfiles

Real Gone Garbage

Swing for a crime

Wavy Gravy 1,2,3

MADNESS INVASION 1,2,3

Blunderbuss 1,2

Tabu

Weirdsville, Wildsville, Wowsville

Mello Jello

Bent Batty & B'noxious

Cough Syrup For Elvis Impersonators

still missing the Mondo Hysterico comps in this thread - also 3 volumes but only have Vol.3 on Vinyl and Vol.1+2 on PC

Frolic Diner (6 Volumes) very close to Las Vegas Grind comps

Big Itch Vol.1-8 are very nice too

and don't forget about the Bug Out Vol.1-3

Lavender Jungle

whoohhaaa so many great music - should be a nearly complete list of everything weird :-)

or did i forget something

• September 25, 2011 2:54 PM CDT
    • Ive got wavy gravy on vinyl and cd but the cd has half of four hairy policemen on it as well! not sure why they didnt add the whole thing on?

of a similar ilk is 'jungle exotica' on Strip records

• September 26, 2011 3:54 AM CDT
    • I'm sure it was mentioned, but Clowes also did a Las Vegas Grind Cover, Charles Burns did the popular Brick by Brick Cover for Iggy - guess someone said that too. Sorry if I doubletrouble.

John Battles said:

Yeah , and Dan Clowes did ones for The Headcoats , Supersuckers , Victor Banana and others.  Peter Bagge did a 45 sleeve FOR THE LATE , GREAT , THE BROOD , an A-Bones/Girl Trouble split , His own band,  Action Family , and others. He did a T-Shirt for Tad , don't know if the artwork appeared elsewhere , and The Troggs' Tribute comp , "Groin Thunder!". 

Bibliodiscoteque said:

Jaime Hernandez did a cover for The Makers and Sam Kieth did one for the Groovin' Ghoulies

• September 26, 2011 3:51 AM CDT
    • I heard of the "SEDUCTION..." band, nice play of words in the title there. Didn't catch much of their music yet though.

Didn't Joe Tex had some Super Hero quote in one of his songs? ...ah I forget.

John Battles said:

There's actually a band , Seduction of The Innocent * , made up of people in the Comic Book Industry , including Bill Mumy , of "Lost in Space" and "Barnes and Barnes" fame.     * The name comes from an infamous book , released in the

50's , that suceeded in getting the Comic Book Industry neutered , as well as slandering Rock'n'Roll and Horror movies , anything that made being a kid bearable.

The Unbelievable Uglies had an INSANE Garage Punker called "Spider - Man" , tho' it sounds like it may be about a monster , not the Comic Book Hero.  Jan and Dean had an (Also Insane) Pop Art - Rock LP about Batman and Robin.

Scotty McKay (Ex - Gene Vincent's Blue Caps) can be seen in the movie "Creature of Destruction" wailin' on a cool groover ( I sound like The Real Don Steele . Sorry) just called "Batman" , with a chorus similar to the TV theme . but far enough from it to avoid lawsuit. I read that he was threatened with one , anyway.

the Liverpool Scene had a very cynical Batman song ("Are you going to get us out of Vietnam....BATMAN ?").

SKY SAXON EVEN HAD ONE CALLED "SUPERMAN 5". It's not one of his better moments.

Donovan referenced Green Lantern . Marc Bolan , Dr. Strange and Silver Surfer. Chrissie Hynde , tho' I'm no fan , Howard The Duck.

Paul McCartney and Wings had one about Marvel Comics' "Magneto and The Titanium Man". Reportedly , Macca attempted to purchase Marvel Comics for $Two Million , a lot of money in The 70's.

I'VE GOT A POSTER FROM THAT Pipettes' song about Archie....BUT , didya know , The Archies were the first group to drop Jimmy Page's name in a song? Don't believe me ? Look up "Waldo P. Emerson Jones" on You Tube. Ron Dante might have known him....   A lot of superhero kiddie records were made in the 60's and 70's that actually have some pretty rockin' studio creations. "The Super Dupers" LP and "The Sensational Guitars of DAN AND DALE - BATMAN AND ROBIN" album come highly recommended. Both were rumored to feature Lou Reed on guitar  . The latter LP , MORE RECENTLY , WAS REVEALED TO FEATURE SUN RA (On organ) , with The Blues Project. Still sounds like Lou , to me.

• September 25, 2011 5:46 PM CDT
    • This thread is right up my alley.

Horse The Band - The Red Tornado:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlobg7r7Co
      Horse The Band - A Million Exploding Suns (about Marvel's The Sentry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMN9eDpFFe0

And being a huge comic fan myself, all of my bands have written songs about comics. Here is one from my current band.

Mind Powers - Where Is The Laser? Ask The Police! (A song about Hank Pym creating Ultron...the title is a reference to the infamous poorly translated line Ultron utters in the Captain America and The Avengers arcade game):  http://soundcloud.com/mindpowers/05-where-is-the-laser-ask-the

We also have a currently unrecorded song called Space Widow that makes references to Ego the Living Planet, the Green Lantern Mogo, the Negative Zone, and the Phantom Zone.

The lyrics of two of my former bands, Manchester Black and Gamera! The Invincible, were almost solely about comics. We had songs about The Hulk, Spider-Man, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Green Lantern's destruction of Coast City, etc. If anyone is interested I will post the EPs on here but I don't want to blow this thread up with self-promotion if you guys don't want it, haha.

• September 26, 2011 3:24 AM CDT
    • JB completely agree, The Troggs did some awesome stuff but seem consigned to being known as a novelty pop act cos of 'wild thing'. Shame really as other songs like 'our love will still be there' and 'lost little girl' are as good as anything of the time.

the equals should be in everyones collection and yet very few people know anything about them. even the detroit cobras did an Equals cover. And they were one of the first multi-racial Brit bands as well.

Whilst on the RnB vibe then of course theres all the Pebbles, Back from the Graves etc etc etc...........where does it end??

hope youve got an inheritance to spend Sally!

• September 25, 2011 9:54 PM CDT
    • Mark George , Yeah , what we call "Freakbeat" , now , some bands , like The Dave Clark 5 and even The Tremeloes , I'm just now finding out , had at least one or two killer Freakbeat sides. Most people would argue it's heyday was 66 - 67 , but there were still traces of it in England after the "Summer of Love " had passed. "I Can See , But You Don't Know" by The Equals and "Feels Like a Woman " by The Troggs were both released in 1970. There are a lot of good comps ( The Rubble series was one of the first , and most of that stuff still holds up , today . Electric Sugar Cube Flashbacks also had some great tracks on each volume , and , I think , came out several years earlier.)....Of course , I'd recommend the "Nuggets 2 " box set to anyone who wants to get a crash course in English Mod/Psych/Freakbeat.  I recommend the first Nuggets box set , too. I told this College student I met , who'd asked me about it , I had most of that stuff already ,but , it was good to have it all with GOOD sound (Even Rhino sometimes dropped the ball , there , previously) , and it's a good starting point. If you find some bands you really like , you can pursue them further.

• September 25, 2011 3:09 PM CDT
    • dont forget 'the action', 'the attack' early Chris farlowe and even the Small Faces.

Freakbeat was a weird genre that only really lasted through 1966, a stranger r and b and a pre-cursor of psych.

on cd theres also 'the freakbeat scene' on Deram and 'freakbeat freakout' on Sequel.

How I envy you discovering all these bands for the first time! and the beauty of a site like this is all the knowledge that you can tap!

• September 26, 2011 1:52 AM CDT
    • After all of you expanded my horizons via my previous post, I now have a wealth of music I would like to obtain for personal use. Of course times being as they are, some of us law abiding citizens have turned to the despicable practice of pirating music. Do any of you folks know of a torrent site geared toward the garage genre? The sites I currently use, have a very limited selection of decent let alone rare music...

Gratias Ago Vos In Provectus,

Julia

• September 25, 2011 2:38 PM CDT
    • A Big Enchilada Facebook fan asked whether he could get my show on Spotify. I don't know how I could do that, or whether it's even possible. It would be cool if we could get the whole GP network feed on Spotify, but again, I'm not sure if that can be done.

• September 25, 2011 3:12 PM CDT
    • The Madchester stuff was at times Northern Soul and funk influenced, especially the Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses "Fool's Gold". The beat's just The Funky Drummer.

I always imagined it to be a revived version of the Kinks and Beetles and 60s stuff so the whole northern soul and funk is a new idea I'll have to have a look at. To be honest though in 1993 I was only 7 so I pretty much missed the significant stuff and got the arse end of it. I remember it in 1997 particularly with the 'cool Britania' thing New Labour were spouting off. And about then Blur and Oasis were staples, Wonderwall and Parklife and all that. I still have Tender as a single which is a bit dull but the French Song (B side) is actually rather cool. I was quite big on the Sterophonics, but some cunt stole my CD. They went majorly downhill though with Just Enough Education to Perform in the same way that Oasis managed to make the worst record ever with Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.

I also heard that Brit Pop was in some ways a reaction to grunge, trying to make a British scene, which kind of makes sense in the same way how the Kinks and British Invasion bands were trying to do a British version of what was going on in America at the time. It's one reason why British music usually works better than some other countries because it just sounds embarrassing when you try to outright copy what's started in the USA.

I never really did the Happy Mondays but I really should buy a few records, any suggestions?

• September 25, 2011 5:31 AM CDT
    • pills thrills n bellyaches!

brilliant album!

• September 25, 2011 3:33 AM CDT
    • I always imagined it to be a revived version of the Kinks and Beetles and 60s stuff so the whole northern soul and funk is a new idea I'll have to have a look at. To be honest though in 1993 I was only 7 so I pretty much missed the significant stuff and got the arse end of it. I remember it in 1997 particularly with the 'cool Britania' thing New Labour were spouting off. And about then Blur and Oasis were staples, Wonderwall and Parklife and all that. I still have Tender as a single which is a bit dull but the French Song (B side) is actually rather cool. I was quite big on the Sterophonics, but some cunt stole my CD. They went majorly downhill though with Just Enough Education to Perform in the same way that Oasis managed to make the worst record ever with Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.

I also heard that Brit Pop was in some ways a reaction to grunge, trying to make a British scene, which kind of makes sense in the same way how the Kinks and British Invasion bands were trying to do a British version of what was going on in America at the time. It's one reason why British music usually works better than some other countries because it just sounds embarrassing when you try to outright copy what's started in the USA.

I never really did the Happy Mondays but I really should buy a few records, any suggestions?

• September 24, 2011 6:13 PM CDT
    • Anything spring to mind?

Mike Humsgreen said:

Yeah I like some of that. I was a little un in the 1990s and so it was on the radio all the time.

• September 24, 2011 4:02 PM CDT
    • Yeah I like some of that. I was a little un in the 1990s and so it was on the radio all the time.

• September 25, 2011 11:13 AM CDT
    • haha fucking thiefs... but it's okay because they're so cool... 

John Battles said:

Axel , It sounds like they mean they would like to hear The Ravonettes cover it...."Die When You Die" actually IS a cover song , of sorts. It's taken directly from "You're Gonna Die" by Destroy All Monsters. He changed it a bit ,  of course , the words are his. He did the same thing with "Scumfuc Tradition" ("Family Tradition" by Hank Williams , Jr.) , "Outlaw Scumfuc" ("Longhaired Redneck by David Allan Coe.) and even "Blow Jobs" ("She Got a Nosejob " , a Mad Magazine record !!!!). YES , I DO NEED TO GET OUT , TONIGHT.

Axel Björnsson said:
      are you talking about they have already cover it or you like to hear them cover it? (don't find it on youtube)

• September 25, 2011 11:00 AM CDT
    • i loves GG - was really surprised by how much i liked the music - leave out the blood and shit montage and listen to the Murder Junkies music - it's great. and GG himself - his lyrics are pure pain but he was a wordsmith for sure...

• September 24, 2011 8:04 PM CDT
    • I'd love if you check out Zero Hour sometime. It's my radio show on WMSE 91.7 in Milwaukee. It airs Fridays from Noon to 3 p.m. You can listen online at wmse.org, where it is also archived.

I play all independent (with a little cheating now and then) rock-n-roll. Expect garage, old R&B and honky tonk, rockabilly, punk, blues, alt.country, soul, surf, power pop, etc. spastic, goofy, primitive, loud, lots of Milwaukee and Wisconsin because that's where I live, lots of Virginia and North Carolina because where I used to live, and lots of Memphis because, shit, it's Memphis!

Blog at zerohourradio.blogspot.com

Two latest playlists below.

9-23-11

Boppin’ High School Baby – ’68 Comeback
      Time Bomb High School – Reigning Sound
      High School Confidential (live) – Jerry Lee Lewis
      School Work – Dean Carter
      Afterschool Special – High School Sweethearts
      Why Do I Go to School – The Sixteens

Stuck in the Middle – The Replacements
      Teenage Timebomb – Okmoniks
      My GTO – Teengenerate