Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 27, 2013 3:06 PM CDT
    • GO !!!!! GET OUTTA BIEBER'S , BABY , GO !!!! GET OUT THE FUCKIN' BIEBER'S SHOW - OH - OH !

BECAUSE HE SINGS LIKE SUCH A WHINER AND HE LOOKS JUST LIKE A WIENER , BABY , GET OUT OF BIEBER'S , BABY , GET OUT OF BIEBER'S CRAP SHOW !   (Tune of "Get Out of Denver".).                   

IF YOU HAD TO GO FOR A RELATIVE'S SAKE , MY SYMPATHIES.  

• March 26, 2013 6:23 PM CDT
    • Tied for first place.......Motorhead (With Clarke and Taylor), Nine Below Zero, Eddie and The Hot Rods.......Worst show....Probably Justin Bieber.......

• March 27, 2013 2:55 PM CDT
    • Check out the man in your icon photo. The one time I saw Kim Fowley , which was only 10 years ago , his 6 foot , 10th floor frame was draped in shimmering suits , one gold , one red , and the other multicolour - striped , probably hand - tailored in Lagos or somewhere.

I don't know who else could have worn those suits , now that Johnny Thunders is no longer with us.

• March 27, 2013 1:52 PM CDT
    • We need punks of all ages.

• March 27, 2013 4:41 AM CDT
    • Are you kidding???
      We are surrounded by bore male-corpse! They are everywhere!
      Older WILD-Guys schould be put on the list of world heritage sites in danger and be protected!!  I´m for the conservation of guys of that ilk! WE NEED YOU ALL! ;)

Keep it real!

• March 26, 2013 7:38 PM CDT
    • I'm with Gringo; just be yourself at any age, dude.  It's the best way to be!

• March 26, 2013 7:12 PM CDT
    •  "What and when, in anyone's humble opinion, is the cut off age to this kinda behaviour"

NEVER.

• March 26, 2013 6:10 PM CDT
    • I'm not 50 but am over 40. I still wear ma combats and Doc Marten's with pride and a t shirt with anything from Mudhoney to the Kennedys an right thru Slint to The Scientists, and even a very old and holey Rob Jo Star Band T designed by an old girlfriend. Got maself 2 kids. I can often be seen hoverin' around the mosh pit and yes... I do occasionally(not always as when I was a 20 something) jump in for a grand old thump around. My wife rolls her eyes an tells me to grow up, I'm not a teenager anymore.... This really really fucks me off. So! What and when, in anyone's humble opinion, is the cut off age to this kinda behaviour and when should we trade in our Mclusky t shirts for a light cotton/wool mix jumper and chino's??? Please help!!! RAWWWWK!!! haha

• March 27, 2013 2:27 PM CDT
    • No , Alice was born in Detroit , but, he moved back and forth from Phoenix , L.A. , and , eventually , Detroit , again. When the band started making money , they relocated to Connecticuit , where Alice was neighbors with Helen Hayes (Whom he starred opposite on "The Snoop Sisters" TV show.) But, now , I'M off -topic , sorry.... I forget how old he was when his family relocated to Phoenix , but , he did live in Detroit , or the Detroit area , first.

• March 27, 2013 1:39 PM CDT
    • Er, slightly off-topic, but isn't Alice from Arizona? Did you mean Deniz Tek?

• March 26, 2013 8:00 PM CDT
    • I don't think so , either. The Five got The Stooges signed to Elektra , of course , as part of a package deal . The Stooges may have resented , somewhat , that The MC5 seemed poised for much bigger things. They had the old school stage show , and their album and single were both racing up the charts , but , it was a three - way shot in the foot - Sinclair's original F-Bomb - soaked liner notes , the "Motherfucker" intro ( Kramer told me they recorded the "Brothers and Sisters" intro for the single  , "Because we were'nt stupid.". But , Tyner told me he was asked to record the new intro for radio ads. Their stories did'nt always match , but , Kramer told me he'd just read an interview with Fred "Sonic" Smith ca. 1970 , where he spoke of a riot that broke out at one of their gigs. He said he remembered the riot , but , not the way Fred described it , and , I said , well , sometimes we just tell things the way we remember them , it does'nt mean we're lying. ) , sorry , got distracted , and , tehn , there was the "Fuck Hudson's " campaign , using Elektra's logo without permission to protest the  Hudson's Department store chain for refusing to carry "Kick Out The Jams".

The Stooges could not be the band to steal the brass ring that was almost The Five's. They did'nt agree on all the "Issues", but , it seems to me they remained friendly when both bands slowly trod down the disintegration trail.....

Axel , Thanks for the thanks. I was lucky enough to have met some of these people (Michael Davis , too. He was a great guy.). I never heard any of them say anything bad about The Stooges (Of course , I never met Dennis Thompson.) . IN REALITY , A RETURNING RESIDENT FROM DETROIT STUDIED BOTH BANDS CAREFULLY , AND FOUND A WAY TO COMBINE THEIR INFLUENCE WITH HIS OWN BUILT - IN WEIRDNESS. HE SPEAKS HIGHLY OF BOTH BANDS , TO THIS DAY , WHILE HE STILL CARRIES THAT BRASS RING IN HIS POCKET.   ALICE COOPER.

• March 26, 2013 4:52 PM CDT
    • My 2 cents: The Stooges mopped-up the floor with the MC5 (whom I like, but come on...). The Stooges were the more experimental group, and they didn't need any cheesy 'Revolutionary' lyrics to hide behind (Not to mention those hippies clothes, ack).

Best songwriting, too. I still listen to all of their stuff today, but the MC5 less so. High Time is prolly their best LP, but all of the Stooges stuff is classic and still kicks ass.

• March 26, 2013 4:28 PM CDT
    • No, I don't think so. At the time, MC5 were the heavies, The Stooges were up-and-maybe-coming. MC5 used to call The Stooges their "little brother band," and get them gigs and make connections for them. As far as I know, there was no "beef" or animosity. 

Axel Björnsson said:

... I guessed there had to be some beef between this groups back in the day in Detroit. 

John Battles said:

• March 26, 2013 10:22 AM CDT
    • Thanks for this awesome facts. The idea of this thread comes from a conversation my friend had with Anton Newcombe in Berlin. He was dissing MC5 and hailing The Stooges. So I guessed there had to be some beef between this groups back in the day in Detroit. 

John Battles said:

• March 26, 2013 10:09 AM CDT
    • would either of'em remember to turn up? If beiber and Timberlake had a scrap, i'd pay top dollar for that. Wouldn't give a fuck who won, just as long as I saw the two of'em kick the shit outta each other.... We all win, Yay! Go Us!

• March 27, 2013 9:24 AM CDT
    •  

We're looking for a label that might be able to help us out a lil bit!

We want to re-press our 45 and release a new one!

• March 26, 2013 11:18 PM CDT
    • I saw Becky Lee and Drunkfoot play in Melbourne a couple of years ago, amazing show! Can't think of any other one-woman bands though..

• March 26, 2013 4:52 PM CDT
    • Just so we have have it here in black and white:

In The Red is proud to announce the release of The Oblivians’ first studio full-length album from since 1997’s ...Play Nine Songs with Mr. Quintron. 

Desperation picks up right where the band left off, delivering fourteen scorching tracks of soulful punk-garage-blues trash rock informed in equal parts by ’50s rock ’n’ roll, ’60s garage rock, Memphis soul, Delta blues and Killed By Death-style punk. There’s even a Cajun Zydeco cover here! 

As Greg Oblivian puts it, “Between our last record as a band in ’97 and now, a lot of water has passed below that bridge. We three went our own ways after that and pursued our own musical goals. Personally, I often missed the dynamic that Jack and Eric offered to my songwriting. Almost as much as I missed being given carte blanche to add a thing or two to theirs. I’ve played with lots of great musicians in the interim but needless to say, it’s a hard itch to scratch. The dynamic between us was a singular thing. So, over the years as we would occasionally reunite for a festival or special occasion, the idea began to grow in the back of my mind—the idea of making a new record. I mean, if you’re going to keep playing as a band eventually you’ll want new songs to play. Because as much as we enjoyed playing together the thing I missed the most was creating together. So that’s what we did.”

• March 26, 2013 3:25 PM CDT
    • Sure! Kyuss are the best.. Waiting for the new album of QOTSA.. 

See also the last album of Electic Wizard, and the last one of Graveyard: "Lights Out". 

Also Fu Manchu are not bad

• March 26, 2013 3:21 PM CDT
    • Ty Segall! He came to Italy a few months ago and in 2012 he produced a lot of stuff, he is one who does his best

• March 26, 2013 11:50 AM CDT
    • Wait, there are bands that aren't lo-fi, no budget these days?! Jaykay. I don't know what "qualifies" that, but Lantern from Philly just played here and it was seriously hands down one of the best R&R shows this college town has had in quite some time, not *just* for a touring act on a weeknight either. Total house show vibes.

http://lantern.bandcamp.com/

Whoever mentioned the Pack, yes!!!!!!!

• March 26, 2013 2:56 PM CDT
    • John Battles: I admit, I haven't read the article in a long time, but I could have sworn that Cary mentioned Kramer and Thunders in that piece. It was some artist who, as of summer '79, was too hip for the album rock stations, and my friend couldn't believe what he was hearing. Sky Daniels was the DJ's name, and he was also the program director. I just found an online interview with Daniels, and he basically backs up what I was saying. He claims that "in the beginning," he actually snuck the likes of Ian Dury and Lene Lovich onto the Loop airwaves, but the higher-ups insisted that he stick with bad arena rock. The suits won that battle, obviously.

As far as WXRT, Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds were quintessential XRT artists, and I wouldn't be surprised if their Park West gig were dusted off for rebroadcast some sweet day. When Rockpile's one and only album came out, XRT is the only station I remember playing it.

• March 26, 2013 1:54 PM CDT
    • For the same reason , WXRT won't play the SAVAGE Rockpile set from The Park West , Chicago , on their concert series program ,  where they play repeats of live concerts from the vaults. There's too much Poi Dog Pondering and Blind Melon to make room for it.

Wayne Kramer only had one 45 out , really , after he got out of jail in the Late 70's , his version of "The Harder They Come", maybe they thought they had a local hit on their hands , or at least some time filler that rocked good enuff , but probably would'nt offend that many people. Then again, the thought of Thunders getting airplay at all in Chicago....wow. His first album had some sorta radio - friendly tracks (No pun.) , but, it's interesting to note that Gang War debuted at Huey's in Chicago , but , they could'nt get themselves together long enough to release a single.

James Porter said:

(1) Trivia note: the first time I heard Dr. Demento's program, the first song he played that night was the Novas'"The Crusher." I almost died laughing. I had just turned eleven.

(2) From fall '78-spring '80, Dr. D ruled my world. Then, by accident, I found out that a local Top 40 station (WEFM) was running a Sunday night oldies show, and for a while I went back and forth between Dr. D playing "Dead Puppies" and Dan Walker playing Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues" (first time hearing it, and my mind was blown). Novelty and comedy records may have rocked my world for an adolescent minute, but the older I got, the more I wanted to hear some real music. I can dig humor, but I can respect Spike Jones more than I actually want to listen to him. I do thank Dr. D for making me a teenage fan of Cheech & Chong...

(3) Actually, the period of experimentation for The Loop was just starting to kick in around the time of Disco Demolition. Just because they might have played Kramer once doesn't mean he stayed on the list. But, this was 1979; playing power-pop alongside meathead hard rockers was what they settled on once the smoke cleared, and was supposed to be the sign of a new era or something. For the remainder of '79 and all of 1980, that was the basic sound of WLUP. If your band was on a major label and was imitating the Cars, you were guaranteed Loop airplay at the time. I stopped listening in early '81 after they canned Steve and Garry (the first time); the Loop is still an FM rock station, but if you call the request line asking to hear the Records'"Starry Eyes," Dave Edmunds'"Girls Talk," or the Inmates'"Dirty Water," I doubt if they'll play them (or even know what the hell you were talking about). Those songs were definitely part of the rotation in 1980, however.  

John Battles said:

When I was visiting in Chicago in the Summer of '79 , The Disco Demolition had just happened , AND The Knack just broke. So , maybe , The Loop's  period of experimentation was about over . The most adventuresome thing I remember hearing on WLUP was ZZ Top. I did hear "Blockhead" by Devo on WXRT , and even tho' I knew who Devo were , I knew I was'nt going to be hearing THEM back in Texas......at least , I did'nt , until "Jerking Back and Forth" (A minor hit.) and "Whip It". I crashed out to "Dr. Demento" , Sunday nights , in the Late 70's , too , but , when George Gimarc's show got my ear , "Dead Puppies" had to GO. However, they started playing Dr. Demento in the early 80's , I think , on Saturday afternoon. That was when I first heard "The Crusher" by The Novas. I knew The Cramps' version, but, I thought , "My God ! This guy sounds like he's choking to death on his own vomit !! THIS is Hardcore.") 

James Porter said:

John - the second issue of Kicks (from 1979) included an article on 60s Chicago bands by my friend Cary Baker. Before he launched into the past, he included a quick sum-up of the present, talking about how The Loop had started beefing up their playlist with punk and new wave oriented acts, like Wayne Kramer and Johnny Thunders (!!!). This, coupled with the Disco Demolition event, looked like Chicago rock radio was about to enter a renaissance. Now, Baker laughs at how tame the Loop was - sure, they embraced the New Music, but wouldn't go but so far. Still, at the time, playing Patti Smith and Talking Heads next to Molly Hatchet and Van Halen seemed like a major coup. If Wayne Kramer got played, it was probably during an early period of experimentation where they were trying to find out what stuck and what slid. Evidently Kramer and Thunders' music slid straight to the floor while the Knack got all the gravy. As far as Sunday nights at 11 PM, in Chicago that was Dr. Demento time. How I awoke in time for school the next morning, I'll never know, but at least I went to sleep laughing.

• March 26, 2013 10:38 AM CDT
    • Big Muff or RAT every time