Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 31, 2012 2:50 AM CST
    • OH , YEAH. IN GERMANY , IT WAS ORIGINALLY CALLED "BOYS ARE BOYS AND GIRLS are Choice".....Seems they changed it to "Girls are Joys" ! Now why did'nt Elvis experience such a culture clash when he was in Germany? Maybe because he was'nt exposed to Dada , Expressionism , and his Manager was'nt a hip German conceptualist ! Dave Day was The ELVIS OF tHE group  , the one who loved to "Mach Shau !" .

Tersicore said:

WoW, very cool Bees´s buzz!!

I guess you´ll like this one, John! :)         (on record < 1:30)

John Battles said:

The Bees - Voices Green and Purple.    The new , authorized , 45 reissue is available in the new Ugly Things. One of the great , early "Bad Trip" songs. 

• December 29, 2012 10:19 PM CST
    • WoW, very cool Bees´s buzz!!

I guess you´ll like this one, John! :)         (on record < 1:30)

John Battles said:

The Bees - Voices Green and Purple.    The new , authorized , 45 reissue is available in the new Ugly Things. One of the great , early "Bad Trip" songs. 

• December 29, 2012 2:54 PM CST
    • The Bees - Voices Green and Purple.    The new , authorized , 45 reissue is available in the new Ugly Things. One of the great , early "Bad Trip" songs. 

• December 31, 2012 4:01 AM CST
    • Sie sind herzlich willkommen, meine frau. Hope this german is ok? Yeah, Can, Cluster, Amon Duul and the whole German 60's art rock scene (so called Krautrock). I think its hard for bands to hide their influences. Black Mountain do it beautifully. Definitely can in there and a load of Hawkwind as well. Amazing stuff.

Tersicore said:

..first impression, I would say: almost as Can at his best! :)

Andy Climax said:

Yeah. Dead Meadow are great. Brilliant live. never always came across in their albums, but raw as fk. Have you all heard or heard of Black Mountain???

danke mein freund!

• December 30, 2012 6:44 PM CST
    • ..first impression, I would say: almost as Can at his best! :)

Andy Climax said:

Yeah. Dead Meadow are great. Brilliant live. never always came across in their albums, but raw as fk. Have you all heard or heard of Black Mountain???

danke mein freund!

• December 30, 2012 4:23 PM CST
    • On a roll here. Japanese madness. Check'em out live. Lovers of Hawkwind would love'em!

• December 30, 2012 4:20 PM CST
    • Not too shabby either. Check out Sleepy Sun.

• December 30, 2012 4:06 PM CST
    • Yeah. Dead Meadow are great. Brilliant live. never always came across in their albums, but raw as fk. Have you all heard or heard of Black Mountain???

• December 31, 2012 3:03 AM CST
    • Did'nt see The Cramps for nine years , because I was living in Dallas , and their previous gig in Dallas ended in disaster. But , I finally got caught up. Missed Muddy Waters (w/Clarence Gatemouth Brown and Bugs Henderson , ex- Mouse and The Traps.),because my Brother and I were underage , and we were going to see the show at an all -ages venue with an ex- teacher friend of ours. The show got moved to a bar , and we could'nt get in , even with an adult. ( I did see Muddy once in Chicago , and planned to chalk up several more shows before he died , but , no such luck.)

More recently , missed gigs that should'nt have even happened , like Simply Saucer , Death , Teenage Jesus and The Jerks , and Djin Aquarian from Ya Ho Wa .....In a lot of cases , the weather kept me back , or I did'nt feel like going to BFE and wondering how long the CTA would take to get me home......I did see Ya Ho Wa  , later, it was OFF THE HOOK !!!

• December 30, 2012 8:37 AM CST
    • Show #403: "The Eggman Collection #128" playlist:

Genesis - "Musical Box"
      Strange - "Hey Mr. Lonely Man"
      Santana - "Soul Sacrifice"
      T. Rex - "Rip Off"
      Man - "Would The Christians Wait Five Minutes? The Lions Are Having A Draw"
      Cheech & Chong - "White World Of Sports/Basketball Jones - Featuring Tyrone Shoelaces"
      The Marmalade - "Is Your Life Your Own"
      Ro-D-Ys - "Winter Woman"
      Nektar - "A Tab In The Ocean"
      Strawberry Alarm Clock - "Sea Shell"
      The Savage Rose - "Evening's Child"
      George Gallagher & White Trash - "Dawn"
      The Association - "Funny Kind Of Song"
      The Flower Pot Men - "White Dove"
      The Shades, Inc. - "Who Loved Her"
      The Castanets - "I Love Him"
      Blops - "Locomotora"
      Bodast - "Nether Street"
      Nils Lofgren & Grin - "Soft Fun"
      The Higher Elevation - "The Diamond Mine"
      The Sidewalk Sounds - "Gas Hassle"
      Zen - "I Want You"
      Unicorn - "Ain't Got A Lot Of Future"
      Rare Bird - "Iceberg"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/403.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/403.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• December 28, 2012 9:38 AM CST
    • Show #403: "The Eggman Collection #128"

The Eggman Collection is basically a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 20,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 128th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Genesis, Santana, T. Rex, Man, Ro-D-Ys, Nektar, The Savage Rose, The Flower Pot Men, The Castanets, Blops, Bodast, Nils Lofgren & Grin, The Higher Elevation, Zen, Rare Bird, Pink Floyd, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• December 29, 2012 2:51 PM CST
    • I have'nt seen it , but plan to , ASAP....it got three stars , and a favorable , front page , writeup , in The Chicago Tribune , and the Chicago Reader gave it a pretty good review , noting it's "Not as fun as "That Thing You Do"". I'd be pretty disappointed if there were nothing dark about it.....Like how young bands got bullied and pimped out by Gangsters  , and harrassed by The Police , at the same time , here in Chicago , and , I'm sure , other major cities. And , God forbid your hair was one strand past the acceptable ,if anachronistic , length. Lots of bands got stomped on for that , or the obvious fact that chicks dug 'em.

• December 29, 2012 11:06 AM CST
    • Just saw the trailer for this. Has anyone seen the movie? Obviously a heavy Sopranos/Little Steven influence w/ David Chase directing. Thoughts?

• December 29, 2012 2:50 PM CST
    • Anyone mentioned 'the soul' yet? Lets face it we all know when a song is bullshitting us. When the soul and the gnarl are in perfect harmony then we gotta groove!

• December 29, 2012 9:28 AM CST
    • You can get a head start on the New Years celebration by listening to the Jeff of the Future Radio Show.  On Saturday December 29th, I’ll be playing the usual garage-punk from 1:00-3:00PM EST on 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu

• December 29, 2012 8:53 AM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Dec 27/2012

This is an all 2012 show, meaning everything played tonite was released in 2012. Not a best of 2012, just a bunch of really cool stuff that was released this year. Next week we continue with more from this year.

1. The Scenics... No Sleep...from their latest, Dead Man Walks Down Bayview, their first brand new recordings in 30 or more years.

2. Agent Twang...Ghost Train...from the latest GaragePunk Hideout release, Garage Monsters.

3. Evil Farm Children...Brain Buffet... as above.

Evil Farm Children at This Ain't Hollywood Aug 1/2009

4. The Ills...Zombie Boys...from their latest, Tuning Out.

5. Los Chicos Problema...Secuestrado En Otro Planeta....a demo from this Mexican 2 piece combo.

6. B10...Thighmaster...from a split 7" with BitchLove. Local loco punk rock.

7. Dynamite Pussy Club...Deep Fried...from their Radio WW session that aired Nov 1/2012. Bath UK combo who mix punk, garage, soul and stupidity to come up with this amazing sound! And DPC were the very first combo to do a Radio WW session and they've opened up the doors for other combos to do the same.

8. The Hook Up...Burnin'...from the Call Up The Devil CD. The Hook Up will be relocating to Hamilton Ontario in a couple of days.

The Hook Up at Grooves Records, Sept 8/2012

9. Bloody Diamonds...She Ain't Pretty...from a live to air on Radio WW 9/27/12. Halifax combo who mix goth, punk and a bit of psychedelia who took the time to set up and play live on air. The full session from that evening is on the Radio WW Soundcloud site.

Bloody Diamonds live to air....Sept 27/2012

10.Black Frame Spectacle...Bust Out The Boogie...from their latest CD, Grady Sessions II.

11. Kensington Hillbillies...Guns Of Brixton...from their latest CD, The Crooked Beat, which is an all Clash tribute.

12. Dr. John...Revolution...from the Locked Down CD. This guy has been recording over 50 years and can still release a great product.

13. Andre Williams...One Eyed Jack...from the Night and Day LP on Bloodshot. That's The Sadies providing the back up on this one.

14. The noble Savages...Fire In The World...Hamilton Ontario garagepunkers that have finally recorded some demos! And they are hosting the first ever garage night at This Ain't Hollywood on Jan 25th!

The noble Savages at Brennan's, Apr 21/2012. Their first live show!

15. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Enigma Machine...from their latest split 7".

16. The Evil Eyes...Good As Gold...from their 4 song 7" EP. Yet another garagepunk combo moving to Hamilton Ontario.

17. The Living Deadbeats...Lost...from their only LP. Vancouver combo who played London twice this past summer on their cross Canada tour.

The Living Deadbeats, Call The Office July 23/2012.

18. The Zellots...Blades...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with What Wave zine 24. This is the all London issue and has the band family trees, lineups etc from the mid 70's up to the early 90's. And all of the recordings on the 90m cassette are from London Ontario bands between 1978 and 1992.

19. The Enemas...Joe Wyatt...as above.

20. Uranus...Motorbikin'...as above.

21. NFG...Cowboy Rock...as above.

22. Carbon Manual...Winter Comes...brand new from The Barracudas frontman, Jeremy Gluck. And watch for a brand new Barracudas single now out.

23.The Reply...Better You....Toronto mod/soul/gospel combo finally release a CD, and you'll be hearing it lots more on this show!

The Reply at Brennan's, Apr 21/2012.

24. The Bloody Five...New York City...Toronto combo with a re-working of The Demics anthem.

25. The Barbacans...Little White Lies...from their No Hits For The Kids CD.

26.The Pulsebeats...Song For Cecilia...from their CD that came out earlier this year.

Thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages etc. Back in the new year with another 2012 show!

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• December 28, 2012 11:02 AM CST
    • Forgot to mention that Cold Sun has a FB page. You can listen to the entire Dark Shadows album there http://www.facebook.com/ColdSunAudioAndVideo

swt said:

Cold Sun is working on a new album. I just played at a gig a couple of weeks ago here with Billy in Santa Fe. He was backing ex-Angry  Samoan Gregg Turner. That's Billy on autoharp below.

Gregg Turner with Billy Miller @ SF Children's Museum Benefit @ Gig Performance Spacr

John Battles said:

Divine Horsemen is a good call. They were'nt that popular in their day , but , they put on a GREAT show. Their singer was Chris D. From The Flesheaters , and their Bassist , Robyn Jameson from the same band (a  version of the band.), and their early Guitarist was Cam King of The Explosives , Roky Erickson's primary band , tho' not anymore.....Their  other singer , Julie Christenson, was married to a member of The Conqueroo before she married Chris D.

They combined Country with traces of Punk and even Metal , not as The Flesheaters did , tho' , it was far more subtle....

If you like the Texas Psych oriented stuff , I URGE you to check out Cold Sun , an early - mid 70's "Psych when you could'nt give it away" band , very dark , led by Bill Miller, who later went on to Roky  Erickson and The Aliens. It's some mindbending shit , but , it won't come cheap.

• December 28, 2012 9:07 AM CST
    • I'm not here for your amusement. You're here for mine.  Johnny Rotten

• December 27, 2012 11:28 PM CST
    • "Punk is the last music with soul"

I cannot remember who said this. But when I remember, it should be epic

• December 27, 2012 10:37 PM CST

• Not as controversial as what I THOUGHT it said, and I was'nt alone (See "Frequently mISHEARD LYRICS)....."hANG ON tO yOURSELF" WAS A BLUEPRINT FOR tHE RAMONES AND THE uk Punk bands. Glen Matlock admitted he got the riffs to "Anarchy in The UK " FRoM "hANG ON tO yOURSELF" and "Fire Brigade" by The Move.  Heavy Cochran.
      Andy Climax said:

Well she's a tongue twisting storm, she will come to the show tonight
      Praying to the light machine: David Bowie, Hang on to Yourself.

Maybe a bit controversial here, but i love Bowie

• December 27, 2012 10:32 PM CST
    • You must understand , Question Mark's ego is in overdrive. He loves to takeshots at better - known performers , like calling Justin Bieber "Justin Beaver" or Lady GaGa "Lady Caca"!

But , I think he and Iggy are on good enough terms , but , when he does a cover , he has to tell you why and how he gave in more "Attitude".....Like , when he did "Don't Give it Up , Now" , and he drops an "F" Bomb.....Jeff Connolly could have done the same , but "?" can take those words that are no longer shocking , and give 'em some venom....Iggy , did , after all , learn from the best - Question Mark , Mitch Ryder , Non - suck Bob Seger, and Scott Morgan , before he arrived at his own thing , that ATTITOOD !  

• December 27, 2012 10:55 PM CST
    • By all accounts , this is (Pre- dullsville) Jimmy Page. Page (still in The Yardbirds.) and McKay met in Texas , and Mckay sent the master tape , minus the guitar parts , to Page in London , who dubbed in this screamin' fretwork.

Mckay (A former Pianist with Gene Vincent's Blue Caps.)appeared in Larry Buchanan's 1966 Schlock Horror TV movie , "Creature of Destruction" , doing a killer version of Little Willie John's "All Around The World (Grits Ain't Groceries ) ", and a great original song about "Batman" (Making certain the opening riff was'nt TOO similar to the TV theme , lest he be sued within inches of his life.). McKay , largely unknown in his day , put out an impressive body of work. I'm sure there's a couple of cool comps on his 60's recordings , but , not living in England , I don't fancy that I'll ever see any of them......