Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 27, 2012 10:30 PM CST
    • Oh, the Hazelwood -- :D Some jerk deleted that vid clip from BoobToob...

Here's some nice dirty noise for y'all

Scotty McKay Quintet

John Battles said:

Oh , but , I have a soft spot for (I believe) Lee Hazelwood's first production on his own label , LHI. "It's a Nice World To Visit (But Not To Live in)" finds Ann - Margaret screaming her lungs out to an intense , Cramps - worthy Fuzz/Psych/ Proto Punk backing. And the lyrics are just as fulla piss and vinegar.  "Nobody wants to hear what ya got to say ....Unless you repeat what they said from yesterday, and if you talk about something new , they just say you're CRAZY ! AND IF YOU DON'T WORK 9 TO 5 , YOU'RE A NO GOOD LAZY....yeh....Why can't people leave my life alone , and think a little more about their own? Let everybody find his thing and DO IT !! Yeh. Nice world to visit ,but not to live in !".

• December 27, 2012 10:14 PM CST
    • SOME OF THE TRASHIEST , MOST FUCKED UP 45s I can think of , now , include "Zoo's Blues" . AN INSTRUMENTAL by The Lincoln Park ZOO.....SCREAMIN' , FUZZTONE OVERLOAD , FIERY , and, yes , FUCKED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE FLIP IS A MACHO SLICE OF GARAGEROCK/CRACKER SOUL with tuff screamin' vocal and more excessive fuzz , with tasty lead Guitar lines. Obviously , it was the "A " SIDE.

By now , I guess , many of our friends , here , know "Fireball " by Mercy (Flipside of the wimp - rocker "Love Can Make You Happy".). It sounds like Travis Wammack and Davie Allan beating the SHIT out of each other. A Fuzztone Instro that GOES somewhere!

Oh , but , I have a soft spot for (I believe) Lee Hazelwood's first production on his own label , LHI. "It's a Nice World To Visit (But Not To Live in)" finds Ann - Margaret screaming her lungs out to an intense , Cramps - worthy Fuzz/Psych/ Proto Punk backing. And the lyrics are just as fulla piss and vinegar.  "Nobody wants to hear what ya got to say ....Unless you repeat what they said from yesterday, and if you talk about something new , they just say you're CRAZY ! AND IF YOU DON'T WORK 9 TO 5 , YOU'RE A NO GOOD LAZY....yeh....Why can't people leave my life alone , and think a little more about their own? Let everybody find his thing and DO IT !! Yeh. Nice world to visit ,but not to live in !".

The flip is more romantic , even contains some acoustic Guitar ,  but bears a similar screaming lead break....."You turned my Head Around" , written by Hazelwood , bears some strange and beautiful Psychedrlic lyirics.....

'i watched the sweet smoke fill the room. My eyes were blind ,til you turned On the moon....

We were three shadows in the night , doing what we thought was all right , then melting til we were just one , and one , and one.......

This amazing record appears on "I'm Gonna Destroy That Boy ' (Virtually all - killer Gurl Garage Punk) , and a recent 45 set of LHI records.......

• December 25, 2012 3:13 PM CST
    • If you can find it , Screamin' Jay later put out a great album on Phillips , in '69 or '70 , called "What That Is" , produced by Milan Melvin , who did Blue Cheer's third album. It hearkens back to the Hard R'n'B sounds of The 50's , with great (Then) contemporary mixing tricks.

He had another one on Phillips before it , alternately known as "Because is In Your Mind" , "Armpit Rubber" , or just to confuse things further , "Screamin' Jay Hawkins" .  The crazy cool cover painting (  WHICH IS STILL DISPLAYED AT THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO FROM TIME TO TIME.) is largely the reason for the confusion.....OF THE TWO , THOUGH , I THINK "WHAT THAT IS" IS THE BETTER LP , BUT BOTH ALBUMS WERE RE-RELEASED TOGETHER ON LP , CASSETTE , AND , POSSIBLY CD , 20 - ODD YEARS AGO ON EDSEL. Yes , i know , it's time to do it again.  iT COULD BE , THERE ARE ISSUES WITH HIS ESTATE. I USED TO SEE SCREAMIN' JAY REISSUES ALMOST ALL THE TIME WHEN HE WAS LIVING ,  AND , HE MAINTAINED , UNLIKE MOST OF HIS PEERS , THAT HE DID GET ROYALTIES.

Trash Freak said:

(The Rats wasnt '63 , though a youtube clip claims it is, but The Kingsmen's cut of Louie Louie in 63)  I guess Screamin' Jay Hawkins is tickin a few boxes with some earlier stuff... '56 & '57...

• December 27, 2012 10:02 PM CST
    • Not a new Band, no new Songs.. 
      but I just discovered this band tonight and they are (in a way) actually from the same Volcano I´m from. Full of vim and vigor, their live! :)
      I didn´t know them. I´m a fan now!

This is Something I  L o v e to dance!! 
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnaBMj4zTI

Thanx "Dale Rocka and the Volcanoes" for this beautiful night!

• December 27, 2012 9:27 PM CST
    • I´m with QM.... but Iggy has not Attitude? which year did he said that? No comprendo!! ?

John Battles said:

"When I did "Girl (You Captivate Me)" , I changed the words to "Girl , You MASTURBATE Me " , because everyone was havin' love songs , and life is a little more REAL than that. When I did "Loose" by The Stooges , I changed it from "I'm burnin' to you , straight from Hell" to "I'm FUCKIN' to you , straight from Hell." , bacause , you got to give it that ATTITUDE , and Iggy ain't got no attitude !!!". Question Mark.

• December 27, 2012 9:11 PM CST
    • I like this one, alot!!
      thanx Henry!

dave said:

Henry Rollins

As long as I tell the truth I feel that nobody can touch me.

• December 27, 2012 6:13 PM CST
    • Well she's a tongue twisting storm, she will come to the show tonight
      Praying to the light machine: David Bowie, Hang on to Yourself.

Maybe a bit controversial here, but i love Bowie

• December 25, 2012 3:41 PM CST
    • "If critics bought records , we'd be HUGE !" John Doe , X.

(Note: I have to buy the majority of the records , CDs and DVDs I review , but , in his case , Doe was right. John. ).

"Man , I played , one time with this band called Germs. They busted bottles and glass and shit on stage ! I personally took a broom and swept that shit UP ! Then , I did "Orange Skies" , and got down to some MUSIC !"  Arthur Lee (As told to John Battles.).

"We did this show at The Coconut Grove , with The  Buffalo Springfield and some other bands , but ,  The Beatles were in the audience , The Mamas and The Papas , and The Monkees were there , too. Davey Jones came up to me , and said "How'd you get so TALL?". I WAS 6 FOOT 3 (MY GOD , HE'S AT LEAST 6'6" , NOW.) , and he was pusing 3' 8" , at the time , and he's going "How'd you get so TALL?!!".  Dave Aguilar , The Chocolate Watchband (As told to John Battles.)

• December 27, 2012 2:03 AM CST
    • Cold Sun is working on a new album. I just played at a gig a couple of weeks ago here with Billy in Santa Fe. He was backing ex-Angry  Samoan Gregg Turner. That's Billy on autoharp below.

Gregg Turner with Billy Miller @ SF Children's Museum Benefit @ Gig Performance Spacr

John Battles said:

Divine Horsemen is a good call. They were'nt that popular in their day , but , they put on a GREAT show. Their singer was Chris D. From The Flesheaters , and their Bassist , Robyn Jameson from the same band (a  version of the band.), and their early Guitarist was Cam King of The Explosives , Roky Erickson's primary band , tho' not anymore.....Their  other singer , Julie Christenson, was married to a member of The Conqueroo before she married Chris D.

They combined Country with traces of Punk and even Metal , not as The Flesheaters did , tho' , it was far more subtle....

If you like the Texas Psych oriented stuff , I URGE you to check out Cold Sun , an early - mid 70's "Psych when you could'nt give it away" band , very dark , led by Bill Miller, who later went on to Roky  Erickson and The Aliens. It's some mindbending shit , but , it won't come cheap.

• December 26, 2012 4:30 PM CST
    • HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA........Would you like to claim your prize , now , or as you're leaving the studio?

sideshow Barty said:

kinda like having to choose between alzheimers and cancer.

• December 26, 2012 2:27 AM CST
    • kinda like having to choose between alzheimers and cancer.

• December 25, 2012 5:44 PM CST
    • NO , i DON'T MEAN THEY WERE APING DYLAN'S MUSICAL STYLE ON MOST OF THEIR RECORDS , BUT , RONNIE WEISS (MOUSE) , NINE TIMES OUT OF NINE , STILL HAD THAT DYLANESQUE INFLECTION IN HIS VOCALS.....AT LEAST , UNTIL , AS I SAY , THEY CUT THE BALLSY EARLY HARD ROCKER "WICKER VINE" , AND CONTINUED RECORDING , SPORADICALLY , AT LEAST INTO THE MID - LATE 70'S.

• December 25, 2012 4:11 PM CST
    • Judging from the one Mouse & the Traps compilation I own, they got off the Dylan jag fairly early. After "Public Execution," just about everything else they did sounds like your typical 1960s garage band. (Which isn't a knock, by the way - I like their stuff a lot. I just never thought that their sole purpose was to emulate Dylan.)

John Battles said:

Like Billy Miller said , I like select Dylan soundalikes more than the man himself - (like) Mouse and The Traps' entire back catalogue (Except Wicker Vine , And I Believe Her , The Bottom LINE AND A FEW OTHERS.).

• December 25, 2012 4:06 PM CST
    • To be truthful, I wouldn't want him to.

KK Dirty Money & Las Drogas said:

Someone may argue that Dylan never wrote a song quite as poppy or fun as Sunshine Superman.

• December 25, 2012 4:02 PM CST
    • Dylan, for damn sure.

He had a rock & roll/blues edge that Donovan did not possess.

• December 25, 2012 7:35 PM CST
    • "The Letter," the Box Tops
      "Bluebirds Over The Mountain," Ersel Hickey
      "I Want Some More," Chan Romero
      "The Hunch," Mad Mike & the Maniacs
      "Pendleton Man," Royal Pendletons
      "Life Don't Mean Nothin'," Michael & the Messengers
      "Dang Me," Roger Miller

(NOTE: most of these I looked up on my iPod!)

• December 25, 2012 5:48 PM CST
    • Blues Magoos - "Albert Common is Dead", from their second and best LP , "Electric Comic Book" , which also contained the Thirtysomething second opus , "Intermission". I used to know a guy whose teen band played it in the 60's , when they'd take a break.....