Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 2, 2013 5:29 PM CST
    • The lukewarm response towards Dylan surprises me on this website, but contrariness abounds in the world of punk and garage.  Well, Dylan is a master contrarian.

• January 2, 2013 2:17 PM CST
    • It hasn't come to Pittsburgh yet, but I will see it when it does. I'd like to know what you think of it, John.

John Battles said:

I have'nt seen it , but plan to , ASAP....it got three stars , and a favorable , front page , writeup , in The Chicago Tribune , and the Chicago Reader gave it a pretty good review , noting it's "Not as fun as "That Thing You Do"". I'd be pretty disappointed if there were nothing dark about it.....Like how young bands got bullied and pimped out by Gangsters  , and harrassed by The Police , at the same time , here in Chicago , and , I'm sure , other major cities. And , God forbid your hair was one strand past the acceptable ,if anachronistic , length. Lots of bands got stomped on for that , or the obvious fact that chicks dug 'em.

• January 2, 2013 12:15 PM CST
    • thanks sean - dropping you an email now from tim at indiebandsblog.com

• January 2, 2013 11:21 AM CST
    • Yessir, I take commissions! You can get me at sean at internetpork.com

• January 2, 2013 5:37 AM CST
    • Great artwork - does anyone know if he takes commissions?

• January 1, 2013 5:29 PM CST
    •   If I were a betting man , I'd place a 20 against all takers that Gary Panter mentions Lee Baxter Davis in the Pork interview......Davis was an Art Professor at East Texas State University , Panter studied with him , and I did , too , about 10 years later. Every interview I see with Panter , he always mentions him , with great enthusiasm.

Sean Äaberg said:

PORK #9 is out!!! Featuring interviews with Gary Panter, Kaz, Shawn Pacheco, Ben Tipton of Burger City Rock&Roll, Matt Stanger of the Lordy Lords, the Mean Jeans & Youthbitch!

• January 1, 2013 2:12 PM CST
    • PORK #9 is out!!! Featuring interviews with Gary Panter, Kaz, Shawn Pacheco, Ben Tipton of Burger City Rock&Roll, Matt Stanger of the Lordy Lords, the Mean Jeans & Youthbitch!

• January 2, 2013 11:27 AM CST
    • By accident. In the early 70s I ran a wire from my radio to the roof with a homemade metal clothes hanger antenna and picked up some Houston stations 60-70 miles away. Fortunately before I discovered punk and hard rock it was blues, rock n roll, and garage my parents had on vinyl playing around the house constantly.

• January 1, 2013 11:02 PM CST
    • Coming out of lurk mode here.  Anyone know if the Eastwood version of the Eko Roke is a good player?  I've always been curious but I've never played one.  Here's a peek.

• January 1, 2013 10:01 PM CST
    • I realize it's after Christmas but I just saw this thread & didn't see these two:

Jackie & the Cedrics - Silent Night Rumble/Santa Claus

The Henchmen - Come On Santa/Merry Christmas Baby

Both on Norton.

• January 1, 2013 9:57 PM CST
    • BTW , i liked the film , but so little original Love footage exists , anyway - "My Little Red Book" on American Bandstand and the "Your Mind and We Belong Together" promo film.

Can't think of much else.

John Battles said:

Anything's possible , but , I don't think Arthur was ever really homeless....I forget , what year was it , that Arthur went to jail? I saw him in Chicago in '93 or '94 , there were maybe 75 people there. But , of course , he played to packed houses , upwards of 500+ when he got out of jail. I'm sure there were times he was virtually destitute  , but , he was playing a lot in the 90's , AND MORESO WHEN HE GOT OUT OF JAIL. The "Free Arthur Lee" campaign was tremendous , but where was the same show of support for Roky Erickson when he was in jail , ca.1990? Roky's never even been known to own a gun.  

Joenzy said:

well, tho your review is mixed - I'll still check it out. De Capo is one of my fave records.
      i once really thought i saw Arthur Lee in a Borders bookstore on 3rd st. in Santa Monica.

he looked homeless and was drinking a cup of coffee. This was in '99 maybe.
      when you live in L.A. you catch sightings like that. and then i heard he was homeless...?

i just saw "Billy Childish is Dead."

what can i say. loved it.

• January 1, 2013 9:38 PM CST
    • Anything's possible , but , I don't think Arthur was ever really homeless....I forget , what year was it , that Arthur went to jail? I saw him in Chicago in '93 or '94 , there were maybe 75 people there. But , of course , he played to packed houses , upwards of 500+ when he got out of jail. I'm sure there were times he was virtually destitute  , but , he was playing a lot in the 90's , AND MORESO WHEN HE GOT OUT OF JAIL. The "Free Arthur Lee" campaign was tremendous , but where was the same show of support for Roky Erickson when he was in jail , ca.1990? Roky's never even been known to own a gun.  

Joenzy said:

well, tho your review is mixed - I'll still check it out. De Capo is one of my fave records.
      i once really thought i saw Arthur Lee in a Borders bookstore on 3rd st. in Santa Monica.

he looked homeless and was drinking a cup of coffee. This was in '99 maybe.
      when you live in L.A. you catch sightings like that. and then i heard he was homeless...?

i just saw "Billy Childish is Dead."

what can i say. loved it.

• January 1, 2013 6:25 PM CST
    • I've been nodding in agreement for ten pages here.  So many cool short songs.  Here are a few near the top for me.

The Ziggens - I Took My Mom to the Prom

Matthew Sweet - Bovine Connection

Eddie & The Showmen - Squad Car

The Shambles - I Can't Don't Want To

Elvis Presley - Rip It Up

Man? Or Astro-Man - Name of Numbers

The Nomads - Lights Out

• December 31, 2012 7:54 AM CST
    • Here is still called this way i believe. (but i´ve seen some wrong titles on YT-vids)
      I´ve found two version of this song: one running for 1:26 (was a single?-not sure) while on Black Monk Time rec. it runs for over 3 min. But still in this album they have the Drunken Maria (what a beautiful title name;) with 1:48.

Well, i guess Elvis was earlier and for a shorter time in Germany and being all the time in the Army had much less contact to Germans as the Monks did. The Monks remained there after the dismissal from Army, Elvis went back. As well i suppose the Germans in mid 60s were a little drop different than those on late 50s, for the War being a further bit remote.

But definitely, as you correctly said, they have been strong influenced (if not even formed, as it looks to be) by their managers Karl Remy and Walther Niemann, which were into Art. Even Monks themself admit to have been a "Project" of both.
      On the other hand, of course, they were great Subjects!! :)
      I guess you have seen "Monks - The Transatlantic Feedback"? Fantastic Docu.!!! Love it!

John Battles said:

OH , YEAH. IN GERMANY , IT WAS ORIGINALLY CALLED "BOYS ARE BOYS AND GIRLS are Choice".....Seems they changed it to "Girls are Joys" ! Now why did'nt Elvis experience such a culture clash when he was in Germany? Maybe because he was'nt exposed to Dada , Expressionism , and his Manager was'nt a hip German conceptualist ! Dave Day was The ELVIS OF tHE group  , the one who loved to "Mach Shau !" .

Tersicore said:

WoW, very cool Bees´s buzz!!

I guess you´ll like this one, John! :)         (on record < 1:30)

John Battles said:

The Bees - Voices Green and Purple.    The new , authorized , 45 reissue is available in the new Ugly Things. One of the great , early "Bad Trip" songs. 

• January 1, 2013 3:32 PM CST
    • This oughtta cure your New Year Hangover. Check out my latest episode, Honky-Tonk New Year.

Great hillbilly sounds from Junior Brown, Wanda Jackson, Rachel Brooke, The Imperial Rooster, The Frontier Circus and more.

Check it out HERE

• January 1, 2013 2:38 PM CST
    • Playlist 12/29/12

Newtown Neurotics Mindless Violence
      Now  Into The Eighties 
      Jam  All Around The World 
      Wire  Champs 
      Ennio Morricone  For A Few Dollars More 
      Strangers 1800  Good Bad Ugly 
      Defectors  The Final Thrill 
      Barbacoa  Hang 'Em High School 
      Elastica  Stutter 
      Primitives  Crash 
      Palmyra Delran  You're My Brian Jones 
      Minks  (I Wanna) Do A Woggle 
      Miracle Workers  Strange Little Girl 
      Brentwoods  Yeah, Yeah, No, No 
      Belltowers  Tomorrow Will Remain 
      Lyres  Grounded 
      Curse  Superficial Jerk 
      Psychedelic Furs  India 
      D Generation  Hatred 
      Teengenerate  Right Side Of My Mind 
      Pack AD  Sirens 
      Plymouth Furys  The Basement 
      RJ and the Guapos  Shake!! 
      Stingrays  June Rhyme 
      Screaming Trees  Change Has Come 
      Ace  Alone 
      Television  Ain't That Nothin' 
      Stranglers  The Raven 
      Social Distortion  Indulgence 
      Serious Drinking  Hangover 
      Johnny Magnet  I Can't Control Myself 
      Blank Attack  Tally Ho! (Quick! Back to the Tardis!) 
      Left Arm  New Kind of Kick 
      Moon Duo  Sleepwalker 
      Mahones  The King of Copenhagen 
      Godfathers  Gone to Texas 

• January 1, 2013 12:59 PM CST
    • I really like this song!

• January 1, 2013 3:26 AM CST
    • I agree it's got something new in it a bit more "Garage/Grungy" for want of a better word.

Lerchio said:

Seriously, this song ain't bad.

• December 31, 2012 7:17 PM CST
    • Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for helping out. Lots of great suggesations.  And a Happy New Year's to you all.

• December 31, 2012 11:49 AM CST
    • hey kids - what's shakin?

just wanted to drop this post here to remind you all that podunkradio.com is still playing the best in underground punk rock from around the world AND we just branched out into Digizine publishing as well

check out our new digizine here.

thanks for listening and thanks for rocking out with us!

jacks insanity

podunkradio.com

• December 31, 2012 11:02 AM CST
    • I have to correct myself:
      I DID saw Nirvana but in ´89 and believe it or not, actually I guess I may have spend time with them for being one of the hosts at  Ecstasy, a place in Berlin I worked and lived about `88-`89 (I had my own room inside the Music-Apartment where the Bands playing there, were hosted). How could I forget that?? Ok, in my defense I can say: hundreds, i mean piles of very well known bands came to play there (almost every day) and I guess I didn´t know Nirvana by the time, yet! And my memory is on strike sometime :/

But I DO have a list of bands i never saw for sure, most for being born too late or for living too far away: I never saw Johnny Cash, Elvis, The Doors, Jimmy Hendrix, Monks or Roky Erickson :(( or Beatles, or some other old bands... 

AAaarRrhhhHHgGGggg!!
      I never had the Chance to see Birthday Party, X, Minimal Man or Circus Mort :(
      Or Contortion, and so I could never had a fight with James Chance!! 

Also Joy Division :(( or Sex Pistols with Sid Vicious (but i saw a cool concert in the 90s without him), or New York Dolls, and sure some others I can´t recall at moment but on the other hand I´ve seen Thousands of fantastic concerts by now, to say the least.

By some I did choose not to see because i felt that it was simply too late in time or the concert too big, like for Rolling Stones (I just heard them from outside of a stadium but at the end i decided not to go inside) or Bowie, for example.

maybe the only band i really missed to see even having the possibility a few times, are still The Sonics! :(
      But I´m happy they are still rocking around! Hope to see them soon!

Tersicore said:

I regret not having seen the whole Nirvana-concert dec.91 in Chicago. I catch just the end!

Back to ´84, Virgin Prunes were suppose to play in Catania/Italy (of course at that time everything was organized in a different way), so i got myself 2 piles of tickets to sell.
      After a couple of weeks and after selling about 150 tickets, the band communicated they won´t come anymore!! (i don´t recall the reason) and so, a wile after that, i had lot of fun to give all the money back and recollect the tickets! :/
      Newer saw them again!

• December 31, 2012 10:07 AM CST
    • Never ever got the chance to see the Seeds an that is soooooo depressin', i gotta cry! a-boohoohoo!

As the dude would say 'the Seeds abide, maaaan!'

• December 31, 2012 8:08 AM CST
    • This German is PERFECT, mein Freund! :)
      Thanx for Black Mountain, amazing stuff, indeed! I didn´t know them yet!

Andy Climax said:

Sie sind herzlich willkommen, meine frau. Hope this german is ok? Yeah, Can, Cluster, Amon Duul and the whole German 60's art rock scene (so called Krautrock). I think its hard for bands to hide their influences. Black Mountain do it beautifully. Definitely can in there and a load of Hawkwind as well. Amazing stuff.

Tersicore said:

..first impression, I would say: almost as Can at his best! :)

Andy Climax said:

Yeah. Dead Meadow are great. Brilliant live. never always came across in their albums, but raw as fk. Have you all heard or heard of Black Mountain???

danke mein freund!