Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 4, 2013 7:07 PM CST
    • I think I did it right

• January 4, 2013 7:05 PM CST
    • Will be back next week on January 9th for my first show for the New Year.  7:00pm est on Podunkradio.com.  It will be episode #60....and remember kids it is live and anything can happen!!!

• January 4, 2013 6:38 PM CST
    • Right! We all know the music we dig and love. We all love the 'Gnarl' we all love 'dat Beat!' BUT...... I have one huge confession to make tho! I've never ever liked the Randy Alvez song 'Green Fuzz' not even when Lux an Ivy gave it 'the treatment' Just never got into it or got it. Any other confessions out there??? Brothers and Sisters... 'Kick out the Jams'. Gerr'it off yer chest.

• January 4, 2013 6:17 PM CST
    • I totally love Thee Oh Sees. Fuckin hate Wankye West and the whole bullshit masogynistic posturing scene he stands for. If he produces something as good as the ' His Masters Bedroom' album or better, i'll love Thee Oh Sees more and still have the same opinion of him. Win, win for Thee Oh Sees. If its a piss take.... Even better!

• January 4, 2013 3:54 PM CST
    • Look at the date, that was an April Fools joke.

• January 4, 2013 3:18 PM CST
    •  I don't even know who The Oh Sees are , for that matter.

But , I've heard "96 Tears" and "The People in Me " by The Music Machine sampled on ultra - hipster  Rap , Hip Hop, or some other kind of instrument - free "underground" garbage. I have to hear that all the time in the "Cutting edge" record stores , when I get more than enough of it on the street or on the train . What is cutting edge about a multi - billion dollar industry? 

I know , some of these people are not big names , but I HEAR THIS STUFF ALMOST EVERYWHERE I GO , THEN , I'M TOLD IT'S "UNDERGROUND".....

"Rock IS The Avant Garde" . Crocus Behemoth  

• January 4, 2013 1:25 PM CST
    • This makes perfect sense.

• January 4, 2013 10:39 AM CST
    • I liked about half the songs on the latest Oh Sees album. They are great live. Not sure what Kanye will do with them, but it probably won't be permanently damaging.

• January 4, 2013 10:18 AM CST
    • yeah, thee Oh Sees are overrated anyway.......and who the fuck is Kanye West?????

• January 4, 2013 4:06 PM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Jan 3/2013

This is our first show of the new year and we continue from the previous show with tunes from 2012. We started about 20m prior to 6PM today as the DJ's of that show wanted to leave early.

1. 63 Monroe...At The Boot...from the cassette that comes with What Wave 24, Slippery's Club Hits.

63 Monroe at Call The Office, Oct 27/2012 as part of our Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 show.

2. The Stoves...Can't Slow Down...as above.

3. Uranus...Motorbikin'...as above.

Uranus at Call The Office, Oct 27/2012 as part of our Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 show.

4. Spiral Scratch...Still Rockin'...as above.

5. The Zellots...Soldiers...as above.

The Zellots at Call The Office as part of our Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 show.

6. Light Bulb Alley...Long Time Coming...recorded live at Call The Office 5/4/12. MOTO was also supposed to play this show, but he was turned away at the Canadian border for attempting to do shows without any paperwork. There's a lesson to be learned here, as Customs Officers found out about MOTO's shows via facebook.

Light Bulb Alley....the 3 Stooges of Rock'n'roll! L to R; Allistair, Seb and Karlo.

Anyways, Light Bulb Alley cranked it up several notches and delivered the best show that i've ever seen them do!! It was as if they were in a race as they plowed through their set in record time. Drummer Seb was on fire in more ways then one, as he was battling a wicked virus of some kind that added fuel to the rock'n'roll flame that was burning. Seb was in pretty rough shape after the show, and the band decided to head directly home base in Montreal and not stay the night. Later i was told the band had to go directly to the hospital in Montreal (after their 9 hour drive home) to get Seb checked out. And Seb was fine after several days rest.

Unfortunately, there was only one witness to Light Bulb Alley's full set...me and my trusty recording device. One other witness caught part of the set and he isn't talking.

7. The Hook Up...Church Belles...recorded live at Grooves Records 9/8/12 and the last time The Hook Up played London. They've just finished moving to Hamilton Ontario and will be going under the name of Dead City Soul Review.

The Hook Up at Grooves 9/8/12.

8. The Deadly Hearts...The Wobble...from their self titled and only CD. Halifax combo that delivered a storm and walked away laughing and leaving us begging for more. Featured our pal Myles Deck on drums, who is currently touring Europe with heavy metalers, Cauldron.

9. The Reply....The Reply...from their brand  new CD, Downtown Soul. In stores really soon.

The Hook Up at Brennan's, Apr 21/2012.

10. Magic Christian...Teenage Head...on Schizophrenic Records outta Hamilton Ontario. Magic Christian was in Hamilton for one night only, studio time was booked for the daytime and the call went out to Gord Lewis (guitar for Teenage Head), Michael Fonfara (keyboards for Lou Reed, Rhinoceros and many others) and Dave Rave (guitar/vocals for The Shakers, Teenage Head and his many solo recordings). This motley crew was joined by the members of Magic Christian; Cyril Jordan (guitar), Eddie Munoz (bass), Paul Kopf (vocals) and Dr. Clem Burke (drummer extraordinaire). The agenda; to record penultimate versions of Teenage Head (Flamin' Groovies) and Let's Shake (Teenage Head). And this single is proof that the mission was accomplished!

Magic Christian joined by Dave Rave and Gord Lewis, Hamilton Ontario Jan 20/2009

I was talking to Dave Rave about the recording that evening at the Magic Christian show and he was still in heaven after getting to work with one of his heroes, Cyril and how everything went so smooth in the studio. I took a picture of Dave and Cyril sitting at a table together...damn batteries in my camera died on the spot! Maybe an omen or maybe just a lesson to bring spare batteries when going to see your heroes. And that night's show was one of my all time fave shows ever!!!

11. The Dead Beat...2000Lb Bee Part 2...from their CD, Boss Sound. Hamilton based 3 piece surf combo.

12. The Blue Squares...It's No Wonder...from Supercharged Sounds, Volume 8, from the garagepunk hideout. If you dig this radio show, please check out the garage punk hideout website.

13. A Passing Fancy...I'm Losing Tonight...from an  Ugly Pop Records 7" re-issue. Toronto based combo from the 60's who released this killer single back then.

14. The Kards...Pipeline...from their Here's The Deal CD.

15. T.H.E....Grilled Cheese....local combo who recorded this demo.

16. The Hypnotics...Here She Comes...from their only LP, Static Fuzz Radio. Technically released in 2011, but we didn't get our mitts on it until 2012. The Hypnotics played an evening of 2 shows here back in November and delivered the goods live.

17. Joey Ramone...Rock'n'Roll Is The Answer...from his Ya Know CD that came out this year.

18. The Pack AD....Sirens....from a 7" on Mint Records where they do the vocals in French.

The Pack AD at Radio WW HQ's with our mascot Rory!

19. Masters Apprentices....Wars Or Hands Of Time....another Ugly Pop 7" re-issue.

20. In-Sect...I Can See My Love....yet another Ugly Pop 7" re-issue, and like above, is a re-ish of wyld Australian 60's garagepunk noise.

21. The Snails...Satisfaction Guaranteed...from their self titled debut CD on Action Records.

22. Wanda Jackson...Tore Down...from her Unfinished Business CD.

Wanda Jackson at London Music Club, July 4/2010.

23. The Blue Demons...Beatnik Bandit....from their single on Boppa Do Down Records.

24. Bloodshot Bill...Right Out The Door...from his Out The Door 7" on Transistor Records.

25. Hip Bone Slim and the Knee Tremblers...Square Guitar...from their CD on Dirty Water Records. Bo meets The Milkshakes in the laundromat and this is what comes out in the wash.

26. The Gruesomes...Bikers From Hell....from their first LP, Tyrants of Teen Trash which has been re-isshed on Groovie Records outta Greece. Try Ricochet Sound in Montreal if you're looking for copies of this one.

27. The Basements...Wrong...from their recent CD, I'm Dead, on Lost In Tyme Records outta Greece. This is also home to the long running garage zine, Lost In Tyme.

28. The Felines...Boots...Denmark all girl combo who released a 4 song single on Hey Girl Records.

29. Drug Free Youth...Mysteries Of Life:Ms Abigail Doe...from their CD, The Avocado Index. Greek based psychedelic combo.

30. The Speaking Tongues....Karma Blues...from their only vinyl LP. This was probably released in 2011, but had to be included as The Speaking Tongues broke up a couple months back. They were a live fave of ours, as we had them at several shows including a birthday party for the boss.

Speaking Tongues at Call The Office April 30/2010

31. Orie Hitt Machine...Killer Inside Me....a demo, probably recorded in the mid 70's, but didn't surface until 2012. Local mystery combo who's identity we've sworn not to reveal.

That's a wrap, thanx for all the emails, facebook messages and attempted phone -ins (phones were down during this show).

Back at ya next week with more noise to annoy.

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• January 3, 2013 4:57 PM CST
    • Nobody told Blue Cheer how to play a Rock'n'Roll song , not even when they were two men in their sixties and one in his fifties , criss-crossing the map in a white van , sometimes to play for 50 people , but, I'll check this out .

• January 3, 2013 4:39 PM CST
    • First, I have to say that 2012 has been a super exiting year in terms of music, and also that I LOVE making list. So many good LPs went out this year. Here is my Top:

Natural Child - For The Love Of The Game

Natural Child - Hard In Heaven

Le Kid et Les Marinellis - Les Jolies Filles

The Cry - S/T

Guantanamo Baywatch - Chest Crawl

The Tough Shits - S/T

Paint Fumes - Uck Life

White Wires - WWIII

Black Jaspers - Scum Of the Moon

Cheap Time - Wallpaper Music

Dagger Eyes - S/T

Crusaders of Love - Take it Easy but Take it

Gentleman Jessie - Leaving Atlanta

Top EPs:

Denney & The Jets - Slick Rick

Primitive Hearts -S/T

Top 7'':

Cozy - Cola Shock Kids

No Tomorrow Boys - Animal Eyes

Warm Soda - Reaction

Oh yeah, I'm 100% sure that I am forgetting a bunch of good releases. So I guess those are my favorites! And also, Am I the only one that has been disapointed by Ty Segall this year?

• January 4, 2013 1:13 PM CST
    • Anyone who likes this post might want to check out the book The Rose and The Briar: Death, Love, and Liberty in the American Ballad.  It's comprised on essays about the origins of specific American folk ballads and though some of the essays are "fiction inspired by", most of the actual research-driven essays are fantastic.

• January 4, 2013 10:56 AM CST
    • Last week I posted on my music blog about the common (British) origin of several classic American songs including "St. James Infirmary," "Streets of Laredo" and "Dying Crapshooter's Blues,"  which in various forms have been batted around blues, country, jazz, folk and rockabilly circles for decades.

I included versions of those tunes in my latest podcast Honky Tonk New Year.

I'll re-post the blog entry here for those who like looking into the history of old songs. The stories I link to below are well worth reading.

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 26, 2012

St. James Meditations

Earlier I was re-reading Sarah Vowell's 1999 essay on her continuing awe at the American classic song "St. James Infirmary."

Cab Calloway sang the song in a
      Betty Boop spoof of Snow White

This song gave me the shivers then and it gives me the shivers now. Not just because it’s a morgue scene, not just because of the cold body lying there on a table instead of a
      bed, but because of the chill of the man’s words. Hearing it as a young girl, hearing it before I ever fell in love myself, it frightened me because of the way it shoots down
      the idea of love as a true possibility. If you need love in part to know you’ll be missed when you’re gone, what does it mean if your sweetheart stands over your icy corpse and — instead of wishing to rejoin you on some astral plane – fantasizes about impressing his buddies with a big dumb coin?

Vowell mentions several versions of the song: Louis Armstrong's, Cab Calloway's, Bobby "Blue" Bland's, even the '90s group Snakefarm's trip-hop version.

Re-reading the Vowell piece reminded me of a piece by Rob Walker in Gambit Weekly, which traced the song back even further. It's a direct descendant of a British folk tune called "The Unfortunate Rake" -- which is about a young man who apparently was dying from venereal disease. Other offspring of "The Unfortunate Rake" include the cowboy ballad "The Streets of Laredo" and Blind Willie McTell's "The Dyin' Crapshooter's Blues."

Writes Walker:

Sometimes, as in "Bad Girl's Lament," the ballad is about the woman, but basically follows the same pattern (an early mention of St. James' Hospital, a closing request for "Six pretty maidens with a bunch of red roses, six pretty maidens to sing me a song ..."). You won't find many of these exact same words in the most typically played version of "St. James Infirmary" today, but this at least is a back story that makes some of the latter's sentiments perfectly logical: The singer makes a jealousy-tinged boast and turns quickly to thoughts of his own death because his "baby" just died of VD. Dig?

A common thread is the wild fantasy of the narrator's grandiose funeral for himself.

Here's a few versions of the song. Like Vowell, I still get the shivers from some of these.

Two of my country heroes singing "Streets of Laredo."

This is one of my favorites: Ian McShane as Al Swearengen  singing "The Unfortunate Rake" in Deadwood.

• January 4, 2013 11:30 AM CST
    • Show #404: "The Eggman Collection #129"

NOTE: The annual R.I.P. show for the musicians and singers we lost in 2012 will air next week, not this week, as stated in last week's program.
      The Eggman Collection is basically a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 20,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 129th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: The Who, Groundhogs, The Warlocks, Zen, Hasil Adkins, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Hooterville Trolley, The Family Tree, Blossom Toes, Klaatu, Gryphon, Friends, Manfred Mann, Central Park, Love, The Beatles, The Zipps, The Collectors, The Ballroom, Sacros, Kansas, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• January 4, 2013 8:19 AM CST
    • Bogus, it wasn't archived at way back.

• January 4, 2013 7:23 AM CST
    • Whomever owned the domain probably stopped paying for the hosting. That's most likely what happened to it!

• January 3, 2013 9:51 PM CST
    • Hi There,

Way back in 2005 there was a website dedicated to the lyrics of all time favourite sixties garage punk songs.

This pool was alimented by worldwide contributors...but one day this website disappeared and I wonder to know if someone knows what happened to this website ?

Maybe all these written songs are on another spot on the web ?

Super thanks in advance. Oktay

• January 3, 2013 6:26 PM CST
    • Andy,
      maybe you got me wrong! It´s not new stuff to me, au contraire.
      I used to dance a lot to this tunes ´till a couple of years ago in Berlin at electro-swing parties especially when Sound-Nomaden where dj-ing.
      They used to play lots of Parov Stelar!! They are great! Agree!!
      I was curious to see if anybody else in here like or knows them and 
      i should have known, YOU would be the one!! :)

I´ll check the Kid Koala's album, thanx!

Andy Climax said:

Wow! Parov Stelar. Blast from the past there. 'Coco' is a great album. I haven't thought about him for years. great tune. check the 'Coco' album, you won't be disappointed. reminds me alot of mid 90's Coldcut or Hextatic. If you get the chance to hear Kid Koala's new blues album, take it. luuuuuverly!

• January 3, 2013 4:37 PM CST
    • Jake Bugg live on new years eve. Stunning!

• January 3, 2013 6:09 PM CST
    • Looks great but most (all ?) of these tracks have already been comped elsewhere (Strummin' Mental, Surfers Mood, Satan's records compilations, etc...).

• January 3, 2013 4:36 PM CST
    • Yeah , like a throwback to The Monkees if they'd been doing HEROIN , instead of just The Frotis. Kidding aside , My beginnings  were similar , but , prior to '79 , there were also exploitation mags on Punk , I remember looking at them in the bookstore. But , what little Punk Rock I was hearing before 1980 was also on Dr. Demento's show , tho' I remember more stuff like The Flying Lizards than The Ramones or The Sex Pistols. ONCE , I HEARD A CLASH SONG ON THE RADIO , BEFORE THEY HAD A HIT. The Rock station played their version of "I Fought The Law" when it came out , here , in '79, in the afternoon , just to let their listeners hear what was going on with this Punk Rock stuff in The UK. They were NOT allowed to make it a habit. This was Dallas , we did'nt have a WXRT or a Rodney on The Roq , but , a rescue was in order in the form of DJ George Gimarc .

I CLICKED ON THE CONNECTION TO 50'S AND 60's Rock , too , when I was finally able to hear this stuff , in earnest (Though I'd read and heard of said connection.). The look was cooler , and more referential to those eras , as you could still get great old clothes (What "Vintage" used to be called.) in thrift stores and mostly affordable boutiques. The first local bands I was seeing (Telefones , Ft. Worth Cats , Ejectors , Chef Physique , Jetsons , Frenetics.)referred to the 60's Garage sound without being Retro 60's bands.

James Porter said:

I was twelve years old. For me, it was a combination of (a) reading Creem magazine, (b) listening to Dr. Demento's syndicated radio show, and (c) some of the more accessible "new wave" bands were starting to make minor inroads that year (1979).

I should also add that I was a fan of 50s and 60s rock, thanks to oldies radio. Punk and new wave, to me, sounded like a return to those bygone eras. Looked like those bygone eras, too. At a time when the typical rock star looked like THIS:

...the typical punk rocker looked like a throwback to the Monkees:

^^^This may appear to be standard rock star attire now, but for the mid-late 70s, hair this short looked almost stark.