Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 3, 2013 4:34 PM CST
    • Wow! Parov Stelar. Blast from the past there. 'Coco' is a great album. I haven't thought about him for years. great tune. check the 'Coco' album, you won't be disappointed. reminds me alot of mid 90's Coldcut or Hextatic. If you get the chance to hear Kid Koala's new blues album, take it. luuuuuverly!

• January 3, 2013 11:33 AM CST
    • Oh, that´s kind of crossover to me. Freakish stuff!

Let´s see if any one of you guys dig this kind of electro-swing:

• January 3, 2013 10:33 AM CST
    • Check these guys out. Not new but just got sent this. Amazing stuff

• January 3, 2013 4:19 PM CST
    •  I WON'T LIE , I LET MY EGO GET WAAAAAY AHEAD OF ME WHEN I WAS SINGING WITH A WORKING BAND. BUT , I ALSO LET MY EGO BE TAKEN DOWN A NOTCH , BY AGREEING NOT TO PLAY GUITAR , WHEN I SHOULD HAVE BEEN. "REAL MUSICIANS" ALWAYS ASK ME TO JUST SING, INSTEAD. HA HA !

This is why I'm a solo act , or , if you wanna generalize , a "One - Man Band". Mine is the only ego I need to worry about , and it does'nt get much strokin' in this here town.

• January 3, 2013 3:37 PM CST

• I must have worked with an easier-to-deal-with class of singers.  I always found I could get them to stop the egotistical rants by simple rattling my car keys at them.  No wait, those were drummers.  Sorry.  I've worked with a few dictatorially-minded singers, but my theory was always that it was their asses out there on the front line, that they were the ones who were gonna take the brunt of the hate if we sucked up there, so they had the right to voice opinions a little louder than the rest of the band, maybe.  A little.  But I've definitely known the Naziesque lead guitarists, too.  Their deal always seemed to be nothing more than their own mistaken notion that they were geniuses and that the rest of us should genuflect in their presence.  

• January 3, 2013 2:15 PM CST
    • Ramones, 50's rock'n'roll, 60's punk, early Black Flag,  or the combination of those 4  things...

• January 3, 2013 3:05 AM CST
    • Thank you Dave.

Yeeeeeeaaaaah !!! Of course I love "good ol' Northwest-style breaks" !

Give me as  many ear-tearin' breaks, ass-kickin' riffs and mind-blowin' licks as you want !

But pleeeeeeeeeaaase, no endless crappy solo. I know you're the best musician around but I don't care about your great ability and fabulous velocity !

Keep your finger tricks and give us kicks !

dave said:

You don't like gtr solos, but what about a good ol' Northwest-style break? "Ok, let's give it to 'em, right now!"

The screamin' Soul Preacher said:

And I hate guitar solos !!!

• January 3, 2013 2:41 AM CST
    • Yep 100% agree !

Andy Climax said:

Anyone mentioned 'the soul' yet? Lets face it we all know when a song is bullshitting us. When the soul and the gnarl are in perfect harmony then we gotta groove!

• January 3, 2013 10:38 AM CST
    • I didn't get into punk....It got into me and has bin there ever since 'Vive le Difference!'

• January 2, 2013 8:47 PM CST
    • Dave wrote:
      "the breakthrough for me was hearing the Nuggets collection that Fall at a friend's house (which was ultimately the more powerful argument for non-commercial sounds)."

Kinda ironic you'd say those sounds were non-commercial, since several of the songs on that album were AM radio hits.

• January 2, 2013 8:36 PM CST
    • I was twelve years old. For me, it was a combination of (a) reading Creem magazine, (b) listening to Dr. Demento's syndicated radio show, and (c) some of the more accessible "new wave" bands were starting to make minor inroads that year (1979).

I should also add that I was a fan of 50s and 60s rock, thanks to oldies radio. Punk and new wave, to me, sounded like a return to those bygone eras. Looked like those bygone eras, too. At a time when the typical rock star looked like THIS:

...the typical punk rocker looked like a throwback to the Monkees:

^^^This may appear to be standard rock star attire now, but for the mid-late 70s, hair this short looked almost stark.

• January 2, 2013 7:21 PM CST
    • I was 15 big into Mudhoney and the Screaming Tree's when I was in a record store and seen the cover to Social D's heaven and hell album was blown away and haven't looked back since!

• January 2, 2013 8:05 PM CST
    • I think our guitarist/spiritual guide may have it on order. I'll ask him tomorrow!

• January 2, 2013 6:26 PM CST
    • Looks cool.

• January 2, 2013 7:36 PM CST
    • One more post-Christmas Christmas song:

Power Pop Santa:

• January 2, 2013 7:17 PM CST
    • Which outlets in Seattle happen to get it?

• January 2, 2013 7:01 PM CST
    • @Rod, it gets into Seattle & Olympia & Vancouver. Vincent, what other kind of magazines are there?

• January 2, 2013 6:26 PM CST
    • DAMN!!! Got alot of catching up to do.

Looks like a great read. Glad someone is still doing print magazines.

• January 2, 2013 6:24 PM CST
    • I'm just outside of Seattle, WA.

• January 2, 2013 6:21 PM CST
    • Hey Rod, where are you at? PORK is in a lot of cities & towns you might not expect!

• January 2, 2013 6:00 PM CST
    • This is definitely why I miss a place like Fallout Records in Seattle.  It would carry mags like this and every type of fanzine available.

• January 2, 2013 6:05 PM CST
    • I guess when we think about the Dylan-Donovan comparisons, we tend to forget that Donovan only did folk type material for a year.  We also forget that during that year, Dylan went rock and roll which boarders on a sixties punk type of sound.  A lot of good outtakes from 1965 and 1966 have been released from time to time in his bootleg series.

• January 2, 2013 6:01 PM CST
    • Yeah, I was wondering when someone was going to present the clip from that Dylan movie. 

Even though either musician may not really "fit" in this garagepunk community, I would think that Dylan totally blows Donovan away. 

• January 2, 2013 5:55 PM CST
    • I see the ad on TV all the time but I live in a single screen theater town and it's really not on the priority list.  I'm probably gonna wait until it come out on On-Demand.