Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 31, 2012 2:25 PM CDT
    • I third it. But , I think they're probably OK in that dept. It's the assessing that's going to be grueling. I tried to call Miriam a couple of days ago , but , just got her voice mail.

Thanks for the info. It's not good news , but it's better news than it could have been.

As long as they're safe . None of us want to think about losing our STUFF , tho' , in this case , that's their livelihood , but , when you think about it , STUFF is'nt as important as you , your friends and your family.    John.

Wipeout! said:

Damn this is bad news, though glad that the Norton family is safe...I was just about to place an order next week, too...& I second Kopper's hope...

• October 31, 2012 9:21 AM CDT
    • Damn this is bad news, though glad that the Norton family is safe...I was just about to place an order next week, too...& I second Kopper's hope...

• October 31, 2012 7:57 AM CDT
    • Man, I sure hope their insurance covers flood damage. Yikes!

• October 30, 2012 7:41 PM CDT
    • This was posted on Facebook about 3 hours ago...

Miriam Linna:
      TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY OF NORTON RECORDS

Thanks to all who have checked in offering concern for us here at Norton Records during Hurricane Sandy. Our home and office were unaffected by the hurricane, however Norton’s Brooklyn warehouse facility was hit very hard, destroying most of Norton’s catalog stock.

We ask at this time that you hold off on ordering until we can assess the damage.

• October 30, 2012 6:59 PM CDT
    • I recently heard (via Facebook posts, so I'm waiting for corroboration) that Norton Records' New York City warehouse was severely damaged by the recent storm surge and flooding, and a large part of their inventory was destroyed.  Has anything heard about this?  I hope the damage isn't as bad as it sounds...but I fear it probably is. 

• October 31, 2012 12:57 PM CDT
    • DETROIT COBRAS:)

• October 31, 2012 12:55 PM CDT
    • JULIE SLICK :)

• October 31, 2012 12:54 PM CDT
    • Chick from MAGICA:)

• October 31, 2012 10:18 AM CDT
    • The Rezillos / Revillos

• October 31, 2012 9:36 AM CDT
    • THE TAMMYS

• October 31, 2012 11:39 AM CDT
    • Gosh

John Battles said:

It's hard for people to imagine that there was once a time when The Cure , like REM or U2 , were an underground band  (More on that in a moment. ) . In my best estimation , they have NUTHIN' to do with Punk Rock or Garage Rock , but , just to play devil's advocate , I'll mention that they go back far enough to be considered an early Punk Reaction Group. A more Art School take on the somewhat more experimental sounds that came about when Punk (As a movement , at the very least.) was limping to the finish gate.....You know , PIL , Magazine , Gang of Four , stuff like that.

The Cure's first album had some discordant , sorta - psychedelic guitar work , smeared liberally on their 2nd and 3rd albums , which were VERY languid affairs.  Strangely enough, it seems around the time they actually allowed themselves to be photographed on their records , they really took a turn for the worse. Seeing Robert Smith , soon a lesser idol to the MTV generation , and a bigger one to the late in emerging U.S. Goth fanbase , ONE COULD SEE HOW IN LOVE WITH HIMSELF HE WAS.....

Only Billy Corgan would beat his time a few years later , and if you don't think HE was heavily influenced by The Cure , THINK AGAIN.

In the very early 80's , trust me , REM , and even U2 , were playing small clubs for chump change in the states , sometimes to half - empty houses , or worse. Art School Brigade bands like Echo and The Bunnymen and Ultravox (In their "We used to be Punk Reaction , but it's all over now "incarnation.), and even Siouxsie and The Banshees were playing Punk clubs , yet to see the big payday , even if they'd had hits in The UK and on The Continent (The waiting list for a U.S. chart placement on a UK hit in the early 80's was one year to never. ) . Of course , The Cure were a big live act in America by about 1985. What's telling is that a rare , great program on MTV , "IRS's The Cutting Edge" (Hosted by Peter Zaremba from The Fleshtones.) , approached The Cure about doing an appearance , and were turned down flat.  When the show began to take off , The Cure's people contacted the program to reneg , as though they'd never snubbed them in the first place. They were told , outright , "You had your chance , and now you're playing to 19 ,000 people in Los Angeles .  You turned us down , once . Now , we're turning YOU down.

• October 30, 2012 7:15 PM CDT
    • Nigerian Psychedelic-Rock: Tirogo "Float"

"Tirogo is another great sample of lost African Psychedelic music. It was recorded in Nigeria in 1977 and originally released on EMI, same as the great album BLO-Chapter One."

• October 30, 2012 6:39 PM CDT
    • Same year, same place, same genre: The Witch "lazy bones"

• October 30, 2012 6:32 PM CDT
    • Amanaz kind of psychedelic rock from Zambia

"Amanaz was formed in 1973 & recorded Africa in Kitwe Zambia
      LP in an edition of 450 numbered copies with glossy heavy sleeve"

• October 31, 2012 1:46 AM CDT
    •  If you've always thought They were just a figment of
      the imagination... well, they're back to piss on your face.
      Just don't let them control your mind 'cause..
      They came from planet fuzz!

Playlist:

The Ghastly Ones - Attack of robot atomic
      5.6.7.8's - My boyfriend from outer space     

(Trailer: “Astro Zombies”)

Blackbirds – Space
      The Mutants - Alien skies
      Bradipos IV – Prisoner in orbit
      The Chantays – Space probe

(Spot from: Dimension X radio show)

Legendary Stardust Cowboy -I Took A Trip (On A Space Shuttle)
      Sonny Day – Creature from outer space
      Sonny Russell – 50 Megatons
      The Cramps – Weekend on Mars

(Trailer: “Humanoids from the deep”)

King Khan & the Shrines – Cosmic serenade
      Sky Saxon & the Seeds – Violet ray
      Fungi Girls – Marv alien
      The Astronettes – Space party

(Spot from: Escape radio show)

Die Kosmonauten – Das kosmodrom
      Nazis From Mars – Cosmic break up
      Lost Sounds – Saturn stomp
      Digital Leather – Black flowers from the future

(“D’Lana is.. was…” from: “The Sore Losers original soundtrack”)

Guitar Wolf – Cosmic space girl
      The Dwarves – Astroboy
      The Misfits – I turned into a martian
      The Meteors – Teenagers from outer space

(Trailer: “It came from outer space”)

Black Time – Lunar Rhythm
      The beguiled - Orbitronic injun
      Mojo Men From Mars -Mojo Men From Mars
      Man Or Astro-man - Escape velocity

(Spot from: X-Minus One radio show)

Masonics – March of the space goblins
      The Hangee V – Space rats
      Sir Finks – War of the satellites
      Space Cossacks - Journey to the stars
      Destroy All Monsters – Cosmo beat

DOWNLOAD | SUBSCRIBE | SUBSCRIBE TO ALL | FACEBOOK | TWITTER

• October 30, 2012 9:15 PM CDT
    • My top 5 fave music vids lately:

• October 30, 2012 7:29 PM CDT
    • This week's program was Halloween Themed, I played music from The Cramps, Screaming Lord Sutch, The Fuzztones, Ghost Bikini, Ramones, Deja Voodoo, as well as Big Vinny & The Cattle Thieves and Torn Down Units from the new Garage Punk compilation Garage Monsters. 

Listen/download the show/podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20121030-1030-t1351589401.mp3

This week's blog post on The Cramps "Human Fly" single can be found here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/10/the-cramps-human-fly-show-428.html

The Play List:

1.  Big Vinny & The Cattle Thieves – Got Me A Monster
      2.  Queens of The Stone Age – Burn The Witch
      3.  Torn Down Units – Lost On Ghost Road
      4.  Unicorns - Tuff Ghost
      5.  Mudhoney - Halloween
      6.  Screaming Lord Sutch - She's Fallen In Love With A Monsterman
      7.  The Cramps - Human Fly
      8.  Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Up Jumped The Devil
      9.  Siouxsie and the Banshees - Halloween
      10. Rotten Tropics – Nightmare Index
      11. Deja Voodoo – Phantom Skateboarder
      12. Ramones - Pet Semetary (Live)
      13. Black Belles – Honky Tonk Horror
      14. Cold Warps – Don’t Haunt Me, Ok?
      15. Metz - Knife in the Water
      16. Indian Wars – Commanche Killer
      17. Tom Waits - Temptation
      18. Ghost Bikini – Spooks
      19. Spooks – Koji Kondo
      20. TEENANGER – Frights
      21. Fuzztones - She's Wicked
      22. The Misfits – 20 Eyes

• October 30, 2012 7:13 PM CDT
    • haha I laughed when I saw this because although over the years many I can't remember, right before I logged in I was just thinking about how mad I am that I won't be going to Night Beats tomorrow. Seems like I miss out on a lot, never get to go to festivals either. Anyway have fun at whatever cool Halloween shows people are going to.

• October 30, 2012 12:11 PM CDT
    • Great topic, but it causes me pain. I have missed many for many reasons over the years, but two that regret most were Link Wray and Bo Didley. Both came to Rochester a few yearsback at small venues, i missed both and they both died shortly thereafter...Ugh! Well I still spin their tunes all the time anyway, i see these Kats as two of the Fathers of garage/rock at least huge influences anyway.

Chaz

• October 30, 2012 4:01 PM CDT
    • Oh, yeah, shoulda said, most of that metal leans toward psychedelic stuff, not really the attitude-stuff like Motorhead, etc. D'oh!

Also, to me a lot of that Aussie Birdman-style stuff is attitude-heavy punk/hard-rock/cock-rock/what-have-ya, and I LOVE that stuff.

Hope yer doin' well,

Dave

John Battles said:

wILL DO , IT MIGHT TAKE ME A WHILE....mY DEFINITION OF mETAL , OF hEAVY rOCK , Might differ from some.....I could have dug some of the Sunset Strip 80'S Metal bands if they'd sounded RAW.  kILLER kANE , rON aSHETON'S nEW oRDER , NOW ,THAT'S WHAT SOME OF 'EM could HAVE SOUNDED LIKE.

Link Wray is Punk Rock Ground zero. PeoplE bitched because his no - hearing ass used Marshall amps later in life (when they were so lucky to see him , it's not funny !!!!!). SO WHAT ? He was still heavier than a line of Marshall Stacks WITH THOSE LITTLE AMPS WITH HOLES POKED IN 'EM.

dave said:

Great reply, John! I think Charles Lamey said that Link Wray may have been one of the first punks (or at least a proto-punk: Ur-punk?). Attitude plays a LARGE part. Have seen few bands since the 90s garage-punk thang with that, but on the topic of Metal, Have a listen to some of these, if you're of a mind. Curious as to your reaction.

Best, Dave

John Battles said:

no , all the credit for being rebellious should'nt go to Punk alone , nor even Punk and it's myriad offshoots...But what gets called "Rebellious" over the years, hoo boy. I guess you could say Heavy Metal or Hard Rock had a rebellious "Who gives a fuck" attitude in the 70's , with The Sabs , The Purps , Thin Lizzy , Alice Cooper and the like , even tho' a good deal of those acts made millions. But , by the 80's , the public was being told that bands Like Quiet Riot , Motley Crue , (Later) Scorpions , (Later ) Priest and solo Ozzy were rebellious and even HEAVY !    The Underground Metal scenes were just taking off around that time , but , what passed for Metal at all....YEESH.  REAL Metal or early Hard Rock , sure , e.g.  Dust , Sir Lord Baltimore , Blue Cheer , MC5 , was rebellious as Hell , but , most of the bands that did make some real money ended up with nothing to show for it.

Just an example....Blues , not the shit that passes for it today , is Rebel Music. So is Country , Rockabilly ....But , just not what usually passes for it , today.

But , I guess I'm preaching to the converted when I say that.

Did people really think Screamin' Jay Hawkins was the demon daddy to "Psychobilly"?

I mean , I'm sure some of those bands were influenced by him  in the 80's , but , apart from "Frenzy" , "Stone Crazy" and maybe one or two other songs , Jay did'nt havemuch of a Rockabilly base. I'd wager Sceaming Lord Sutch was a far bigger influence on that stuff , even though he , too , only dabbled In Rockabilly stylings. You can , of course , hear things in earlier , groundbreaking sounds that are reflected in the music of later acts who took more of the credit for breaking down musical barriers. I think Hawkins is more a forerunner of Punk in his general disregard for the status quo , that he presented himself as anti-social , with a bad attitude , in a musical context , though he was a great instrumentalist and arranger , and could have sang Opera if he's had a mind to.  He was , however , a very likeable man. God help anyone who pissed him off , but , he was affable and frequently hilarious.

• October 30, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
    • wILL DO , IT MIGHT TAKE ME A WHILE....mY DEFINITION OF mETAL , OF hEAVY rOCK , Might differ from some.....I could have dug some of the Sunset Strip 80'S Metal bands if they'd sounded RAW.  kILLER kANE , rON aSHETON'S nEW oRDER , NOW ,THAT'S WHAT SOME OF 'EM could HAVE SOUNDED LIKE.

Link Wray is Punk Rock Ground zero. PeoplE bitched because his no - hearing ass used Marshall amps later in life (when they were so lucky to see him , it's not funny !!!!!). SO WHAT ? He was still heavier than a line of Marshall Stacks WITH THOSE LITTLE AMPS WITH HOLES POKED IN 'EM.

dave said:

Great reply, John! I think Charles Lamey said that Link Wray may have been one of the first punks (or at least a proto-punk: Ur-punk?). Attitude plays a LARGE part. Have seen few bands since the 90s garage-punk thang with that, but on the topic of Metal, Have a listen to some of these, if you're of a mind. Curious as to your reaction.

Best, Dave

John Battles said:

no , all the credit for being rebellious should'nt go to Punk alone , nor even Punk and it's myriad offshoots...But what gets called "Rebellious" over the years, hoo boy. I guess you could say Heavy Metal or Hard Rock had a rebellious "Who gives a fuck" attitude in the 70's , with The Sabs , The Purps , Thin Lizzy , Alice Cooper and the like , even tho' a good deal of those acts made millions. But , by the 80's , the public was being told that bands Like Quiet Riot , Motley Crue , (Later) Scorpions , (Later ) Priest and solo Ozzy were rebellious and even HEAVY !    The Underground Metal scenes were just taking off around that time , but , what passed for Metal at all....YEESH.  REAL Metal or early Hard Rock , sure , e.g.  Dust , Sir Lord Baltimore , Blue Cheer , MC5 , was rebellious as Hell , but , most of the bands that did make some real money ended up with nothing to show for it.

Just an example....Blues , not the shit that passes for it today , is Rebel Music. So is Country , Rockabilly ....But , just not what usually passes for it , today.

Did people really think Screamin' Jay Hawkins was the demon daddy to "Psychobilly"?

I mean , I'm sure some of those bands were influenced by him  in the 80's , but , apart from "Frenzy" , "Stone Crazy" and maybe one or two other songs , Jay did'nt havemuch of a Rockabilly base. I'd wager Sceaming Lord Sutch was a far bigger influence on that stuff , even though he , too , only dabbled In Rockabilly stylings. You can , of course , hear things in earlier , groundbreaking sounds that are reflected in the music of later acts who took more of the credit for breaking down musical barriers. I think Hawkins is more a forerunner of Punk in his general disregard for the status quo , that he presented himself as anti-social , with a bad attitude , in a musical context , though he was a great instrumentalist and arranger , and could have sang Opera if he's had a mind to.  He was , however , a very likeable man. God help anyone who pissed him off , but , he was affable and frequently hilarious.

• October 30, 2012 1:13 PM CDT
    • Great reply, John! I think Charles Lamey said that Link Wray may have been one of the first punks (or at least a proto-punk: Ur-punk?). Attitude plays a LARGE part. Have seen few bands since the 90s garage-punk thang with that, but on the topic of Metal, Have a listen to some of these, if you're of a mind. Curious as to your reaction.

Best, Dave

John Battles said: