Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 30, 2012 11:39 AM CDT
    • Missed Jon Spencer a few weeks ago in Pawtucket because I told a friend I would not miss their Birthday and forgot they were on the same day mad bummer!

• October 30, 2012 9:57 AM CDT
    • I just remembered something else...I missed my one and only chance to see Nick Curran and the Lowlifes.  They played here in Pittsburgh at a blues festival in late July 2010.  However, they were playing the day before a Prima Donna gig in NYC, and I had already made plans to go see Prima Donna.  I take overnight Greyhound buses to and from NYC to cut my traveling costs (I try to just sleep on the buses), and it just would not have been feasible for me to see Nick Curran at the blues festival and then take my late night bus to NYC.  At the time I thought, "Oh well, hopefully he'll come back to Pittsburgh."  Little did I know at the time...

RIP, Nick, and I'm sorry I didn't see you and your band when I had the chance:(

• October 29, 2012 5:01 PM CDT
    • Weird - I recently thought about posting on this very topic.  I have a number of missed opportunities in my list.

Candy Snatchers - They were supposed to play The Garage in Silver Lake (Los Angeles) in 2000.  When I arrived, the club was dark and empty.  A few guys were milling around a nearby payphone; they turned out to be members of Texas bands The Reds.  They informed me that the Candy Snatchers' van had broken down and the show was cancelled.  Drag! 

New Bomb Turks - Scheduled to play with The Queers in Columbus, Ohio in '97.  Didn't.  Broken van was the culprit again, I think. 

Rocket from the Crypt - Scheduled to open for (meh) Rancid in 1996, also in Columbus.  Once again, a casualty of the broke-down van, scourge of punk rock.  Shame; I'm sure they woulda been far better than Rancid. 

There's more that I've missed, but those three stand out. 

• October 29, 2012 2:55 PM CDT
    • There was a short lived LA pop punk band called the Holograms that I never got to see, mainly because they never came to Pittsburgh, nor did they ever play anywhere near here.  They were a bunch of cute Asian girls.

Another band I never got around to seeing was Jet.  I can remember they toured with Oasis in 2005, and a friend saw them in Cleveland, but for whatever reason I didn't make the trip.

Can't think of any other missed opportunities.

• October 28, 2012 11:43 PM CDT
    • I missed seeing the Sex Pistols reunion in like 97 because my ride (show was several states away) had a dumb kid that day!

• October 29, 2012 8:52 PM CDT
    •  It's hard for people to imagine that there was once a time when The Cure , like REM or U2 , were an underground band  (More on that in a moment. ) . In my best estimation , they have NUTHIN' to do with Punk Rock or Garage Rock , but , just to play devil's advocate , I'll mention that they go back far enough to be considered an early Punk Reaction Group. A more Art School take on the somewhat more experimental sounds that came about when Punk (As a movement , at the very least.) was limping to the finish gate.....You know , PIL , Magazine , Gang of Four , stuff like that.

The Cure's first album had some discordant , sorta - psychedelic guitar work , smeared liberally on their 2nd and 3rd albums , which were VERY languid affairs.  Strangely enough, it seems around the time they actually allowed themselves to be photographed on their records , they really took a turn for the worse. Seeing Robert Smith , soon a lesser idol to the MTV generation , and a bigger one to the late in emerging U.S. Goth fanbase , ONE COULD SEE HOW IN LOVE WITH HIMSELF HE WAS.....

Only Billy Corgan would beat his time a few years later , and if you don't think HE was heavily influenced by The Cure , THINK AGAIN.

In the very early 80's , trust me , REM , and even U2 , were playing small clubs for chump change in the states , sometimes to half - empty houses , or worse. Art School Brigade bands like Echo and The Bunnymen and Ultravox (In their "We used to be Punk Reaction , but it's all over now "incarnation.), and even Siouxsie and The Banshees were playing Punk clubs , yet to see the big payday , even if they'd had hits in The UK and on The Continent (The waiting list for a U.S. chart placement on a UK hit in the early 80's was one year to never. ) . Of course , The Cure were a big live act in America by about 1985. What's telling is that a rare , great program on MTV , "IRS's The Cutting Edge" (Hosted by Peter Zaremba from The Fleshtones.) , approached The Cure about doing an appearance , and were turned down flat.  When the show began to take off , The Cure's people contacted the program to reneg , as though they'd never snubbed them in the first place. They were told , outright , "You had your chance , and now you're playing to 19 ,000 people in Los Angeles .  You turned us down , once . Now , we're turning YOU down.

• October 29, 2012 8:02 PM CDT
    • Violet Times ,

I must have mentioned Peter Laughner , a long time ago ,  but , if I did'nt , it sure was'nt a slight on him. Laughner was the rare sort who remained friends with members of nearly every key non - bar  band in Cleveland at the time , up until his untimely demise . Most people I've spoken to or read things by , that were "There" , had good things to say , even if his behavior (By his own admission.) was frequently over the top.  

Violet Times said:

Definitely Pagans over Dead Boys, easily.  Dead Boys only made one great LP, while Pagans have a few LPs worth of greatness.  Besides that, i'm not so into the production on their 1st LP, actually prefer the 'Younger, Louder, Snottier' LP version released later on Bomp.  That live set from CBs released on DVD years back is pretty hard to beat tho.  That's the kind of thing that could put them at the top of any list of greats, no question.  (pretty sure the whole thing is on youtube, check it if you haven't seen it)  

Mirrors and eels (w/ a nice side dish of Styrenes w/ whom they shared members) over everyone tho.  

Here's an interview i did w/ Morton in MRR last year http://www.violet-times.com/2011/06/i-interviewed-john-morton-in-ma... w/ links there to read more about electric eels as well.  Do yourself a favor, esp if ya don't know about 'em. 

Also at the top of that page you can click to the purchase page for Poli Styrene Jass Band (aka: Styrenes) 'Drano In Your Veins' 45 reissue that we did awhile back if you're interested in 1975 pre- punk, proto- punk, baseball bat in the face lysergic madness, a bonafide classic.  Less than 20 copies remain.

Not punk, more rock n roll / soft psych, but i actually just put on Stone Harbour 'Emerges' LP right before i saw this thread/group.  Nearby town of Cleveland- Youngstown, OH 1974.

Also surprised no one mentioned Peter Laughner in here?  Maybe i missed it, and again, not so much "punk" sounding overall but his 1 million (and counting, as more are found) unreleased recordings (and the few released thus far) have many choice cuts.  He was a driving force in tying to make that a "scene", or at least promoting his own music, and by default taking those other wild sounding bands to the top along w/ himself.    

I also enjoy the fact that The Cramps, Pagans, and electric eels are all related by blood- that's some kind of royal bloodline there!

• October 29, 2012 7:48 PM CDT
    • October 20...... More should be made of his Birthday. There was ONE memorial night for him after he passed , and this is not Neerherdove , New Ireland  ,  this is Chicago.

As for his , or Ivy's , Birthday (A far easier to remember Feb. 14.) , no one does anything , here , in the clubs , barring local band ,The Dyes , who always do some kind of Cramps tribute in October.I think , though I can't quite remember , Lux was born in 1948. It was after the war , for sure , but , in The 40's.

Funhouse Skull said:

John Battles said:

iT LOOKS LIKE WE'RE COMING UPON LUX'S BIRTHDAY , AGAIN....

I WISH MY FRIEND , JEFF , WHO REMEMBERS EVERY DATE , CONCERNING THE CRAMPS , WERE HERE TO REMIND ME THE ACTUAL DATE..... ANYWAY , HIS REBIRTH , SADLY FOR US , WAS A FEW YEARS AGO. IT DOES'NT EVEN SEEM THAT LONG AGO TO ME. HE WAS CELEBRATED WITH AN ASTRAL PROJECTION , AS WITNESSED BY THE FEW WORTHY SOULS , CHOSEN BY OUR QUEEN , IVY , INCLUDING  ART FEIN AND JOHNNY LEGEND , KINGS OF MEN.

NICK TOSCHES MAY HAVE BEEN THERE , TOO? BUT , I TOOK LUX TO BE A VERY SPIRITUAL PERSON , THOUGH ON A DIFFERENT PLANE, ALTOGETHER , THAN WHAT MOST DEFINE AS SPIRITUAL , JUST AS HE WAS ON AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PLANE IN THE PHYSICAL WORLD.       '' I JUST CAN'T IDENTIFY - EYE - TO EYE - TO EYE - WITH THIS WORLD , SO, I DON'T TRY."..........     HAPPY BIRTHDAY , ERIK/VIP/LUX.....WE MISS YOU , BUT , WE SURE WERE GLAD YOU LIVED IN OUR TIME.....ALWAYS FIVE YEARS AHEAD OF IT.  

Lux was born on October 20. I forget the year. Truly one of a kind. The world is a smaller place without him.

• October 29, 2012 1:49 PM CDT
    • Have to say, i really enjoy this cartoon and i like the intro music too
      (by a guy called Michel Dax - but no idea who he is)

the english version is a terrible disco/electronic version of this song

• October 29, 2012 1:32 PM CDT
    • Hier Simple Plan for Scooby Doo

• October 29, 2012 1:46 PM CDT
    • I've never had any problems running a keyboard through a Fender Twin Reverb. That amp has enough clean head room to handle high output combo organs and it can take some low frequencies too. You do not want to use an underpowered amp or use an overdrive channel. You're likely to push the amp too hard and distortion on organ means static-heavy noise.

• October 29, 2012 8:14 AM CDT
    • I recorded my keyboard with a Orange Tiny Terror tube guitar head and an Orange 1x12. You can hear the result here : http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/Cosmicbernie (The song Jumping Around).

Now when I play with the band I use a Behringer Rotary Machine pedal between the keyboard and the DI. It's emulating the Leslie sound. Quite good for the price.

But you  have to know that I'm using a Korg Microstation keyboard, no money for someting more old school :-(

• October 28, 2012 8:12 PM CDT
    • I find guitar amps too trebly, regardless of any explosive-type issues... I've always used a bass amp - much deeper and richer sound. I had a Dynachord 'Imperator' for many, many years... amazingly good & resilient amp!

D.I. is, of course, easier, and I guess it's OK for the portable Roland I usually use, but not really relevant for my Hammond & Leslie combo... and anyway, I like to use fuzz & other effect pedals on the piano so that needs an amp!

Sorry but I'm old-school and probably not the person to be answering your query... I doubt there are too many others lugging around similar monstrously heavy behemoths or putting electric pianos through guitar effects these days!

So basically, do whatever suits you best for the sound you want plus, as Kendall said, taking into account the size of the venue...

Cheers

• October 29, 2012 1:09 PM CDT
    • Hey everyone,

My name's Johnny and I'm from Yonkers, NY. I play lead guitar and sing some in a band called Johnny Sideshow & The Feejee Mermaids. You can find us on Facebook as well as downloading our E.P. for FREE on our Bandcamp.

• October 29, 2012 12:18 PM CDT
    • Jawbone is a one-man blues/garage/punk band based in Detroit, Michigan

Jawbone live at Theatre Bizarre Detroit 2009

• October 29, 2012 6:20 AM CDT
    • King Automatic, Reverend Beat-man, BBQ, King Louie, Mosquito Bandito, Lone Wolf, etc, and I like Dead Elvis, too!

• October 29, 2012 4:59 AM CDT
    • Toby Rix (1920) op zijn Toeterix

Wim Sonneveld (1917 - 1974)

(Dutch Commercials)

loekie outro 1983-84 (nikkelen nelis)

• October 28, 2012 11:41 PM CDT
    • JOE BUCK YOURSELF! that guy is great.

love haunted george as well.

• October 28, 2012 6:03 PM CDT
    • Have I been here?     Homer Henderson , Bloodshot Bill , Nobunny , King Louie , Margaret Doll Rod (Son , she ain't no MAN.) ,  Hasil Adkins , J Henry Timms IV .

• October 29, 2012 11:47 AM CDT
    • After a 16 year break, What Wave zine is back with another kick at the can. This issue is the story/band trees/families of our hometown, sleepy London Ontario. It's 104 pages of the local bands from about 76 to 92 and includes the garage bands of that era; Legend Killers, Frankenstein V, Mongrols, Flying Squad plus all of the punk, hardcore and just about everything else in between. And for mailorder, it comes with a double CD of almost all u

nreleased material from London bands of that era. The pic below has the CD track listings.                

And here's a better pic of the cover, artwork by Dave Clarke who did many of our covers over the years.

For the 104 page (8.5 x11) booklet and double CD, it's $14 in Canada, $16 for US. Don't know about Europe postage prices yet.

Paypal or $....  whatwave@rogers.com

• October 28, 2012 5:58 PM CDT
    • ....I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue....I also forgot to menton "Come , Now". The "Archaeology" 2 CD set (3 counting the infamous "Troggs Tapes" in full) on Rhino will set you  on the right road. I'm sure you'll have to look for it on line , but , it would'nt hurt to contact Rhino regarding it's availability(?). I don't think.

I just found out The Troggs are still touring Europe , minus Lead Singer Reg Presley , who's recovering from treatment for Lung Cancer , and has since retired. It's on their website (Tho' not much else , info - wise.) ....The new guest vocalist put in some time with a later version of The Animals , and some other revamped UK 60's groups.....It can't be The Troggs without Reg , but  , I'm sure he  gave them his blessings .