Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 28, 2012 5:47 PM CDT
    • no , all the credit for being rebellious should'nt go to Punk alone , nor even Punk and it's myriad offshoots...But what gets called "Rebellious" over the years, hoo boy. I guess you could say Heavy Metal or Hard Rock had a rebellious "Who gives a fuck" attitude in the 70's , with The Sabs , The Purps , Thin Lizzy , Alice Cooper and the like , even tho' a good deal of those acts made millions. But , by the 80's , the public was being told that bands Like Quiet Riot , Motley Crue , (Later) Scorpions , (Later ) Priest and solo Ozzy were rebellious and even HEAVY !    The Underground Metal scenes were just taking off around that time , but , what passed for Metal at all....YEESH.  REAL Metal or early Hard Rock , sure , e.g.  Dust , Sir Lord Baltimore , Blue Cheer , MC5 , was rebellious as Hell , but , most of the bands that did make some real money ended up with nothing to show for it.

Just an example....Blues , not the shit that passes for it today , is Rebel Music. So is Country , Rockabilly ....But , just not what usually passes for it , today.

But , I guess I'm preaching to the converted when I say that.

Did people really think Screamin' Jay Hawkins was the demon daddy to "Psychobilly"?

I mean , I'm sure some of those bands were influenced by him  in the 80's , but , apart from "Frenzy" , "Stone Crazy" and maybe one or two other songs , Jay did'nt havemuch of a Rockabilly base. I'd wager Sceaming Lord Sutch was a far bigger influence on that stuff , even though he , too , only dabbled In Rockabilly stylings. You can , of course , hear things in earlier , groundbreaking sounds that are reflected in the music of later acts who took more of the credit for breaking down musical barriers. I think Hawkins is more a forerunner of Punk in his general disregard for the status quo , that he presented himself as anti-social , with a bad attitude , in a musical context , though he was a great instrumentalist and arranger , and could have sang Opera if he's had a mind to.  He was , however , a very likeable man. God help anyone who pissed him off , but , he was affable and frequently hilarious.

• October 28, 2012 5:46 PM CDT
    • I use a Behringer Ultratone K1800 FX for situations I need a keyboard amp.  It's heap and portable but nothing impressive about it tonally.  

For most live sound settings I find venues have a DI box and I just run the keyboard straight into the PA, and the sound guys seem to prefer this too.  But for smaller settings the small amp seems to work fine.

• October 28, 2012 12:19 PM CDT
    • Anyone got any ideas on decent amps for keyboards & combo organs?

Something that looks and sounds cool would be best, & the more portable, & less expensive the better!

Also, I'm lead to believe that keys can blow guitar amps... is this the actual amps, or just the speakers? Would a guitar head going into a PA cab, or bass cab (with horn/tweeter) work?

or should i forget amps, & just use a D.I?

• October 28, 2012 4:44 PM CDT
    • "i 'M NOT GONNA TALK ALL DAY , BUT , I WANT YA TO GET THE FEELIN'..."James Brown.

In recent years , I passed on some gigs that were so rare , they should'nt have happened. Mainly because I did'nt feel like taking the train and bus(es) to the venue , esp. in the middle of winter , when that was often the case.....I missed Simply Saucer , Death (The Black Protopunk cult group from Detroit , not the better known "Ritualistic" Metal band.) , Teenage Jesus and The Jerks , and and others . Some nights , I just don't feel like dealing with The CTA .....THAT'S NO EXCUSE. Those gigs were at Empty Bottle , a venue I do NOT have a beef with. I was going there 20 - odd years ago , before it was Hipster Central.

But , Double Door , don't get me started ! All their good shows are in the summer (Can't avoid that , sometimes , I know) , but they have no A.C. , and it gets up to 100 degrees or more at an oversold show  (I'm told they have a small A.C. set up , now , but , I don't know.) . X played 4 nights straight , once. I planned to go to at least two nights , but , gave up on that idea after the first night (John Doe said , "HEY , IT'S HOT AS FUCK UP HERE !!!".). Radio Birdman played on a brutally hot , horrendously oversold night , BUT , it was'nt likely to happen again. It did. The following summer . I DIDNT BOTHER. I saw The Buzzcocks do two gigs there , one mid -summer.I was told the then - new drummer securedhis gig that night for keeping his sweat - drenched long - sleeve shirt and tie on.... They returned for a thirdtime, performing their first three LPs in full , I said , enough of this shit. I'D HAVE SEEN THEM , THERE , IN NOVEMBER , WHEN THE FLESHTONES PLAYED TO 30 PEOPLE .  There ARE venues IN cHICAGO WITH GOOD SOUND , GOOD SIGHTLINES AND(HORRORS! HOW UNCOOL.) A.C. , BUT , Double Door is'nt one of 'em.

• October 28, 2012 2:59 PM CDT
    • Directly from my homeland Australia....these Aussie chix rock my sox :):):)!!!!

• October 28, 2012 2:54 PM CDT
    • TITS OF DEATH.................no joke blokes:):)

• October 27, 2012 10:24 AM CDT
    • JOHNETTE NAPOLITANO kix ass with Concrete Blonde:)

• October 27, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
    • LINDA PERRY :)

• October 27, 2012 10:11 AM CDT
    • BRIJITTE WEST OF N Y LOOSE KIX A MIGHTY, MIGHTY, MIGHTY ASS, MAN:):)

• October 28, 2012 1:46 PM CDT

• Yes, they went to Africa.
      Chris Henniker said:

As in the Anarcho-punk band, The Ex?

E.J. Matze said:

The Ex in Ethiopia

The Ex are an underground band from the Netherlands (...).

Getatchew Mekurya (Amharic: ጌታቸው መኩሪያ) (born 1935) is an Ethiopian jazz saxophonist.

• October 28, 2012 1:29 PM CDT
    • As in the Anarcho-punk band, The Ex?

E.J. Matze said:

The Ex in Ethiopia

Getatchew Mekurya (Amharic: ጌታቸው መኩሪያ) (born 1935) is an Ethiopian jazz saxophonist.

• October 28, 2012 10:30 AM CDT
    • The Ex in Ethiopia

• October 27, 2012 4:51 PM CDT
    • You should! See the movie as well...

John Battles said:

I still have'nt heard Rodriguez.

• October 27, 2012 2:02 PM CDT
    • I still have'nt heard Rodriguez.

• October 27, 2012 12:01 PM CDT
    • From Thailand

ขุนนรินทร์พิณซิ่ง8.

• October 27, 2012 3:23 PM CDT
    • Dr. Fuzz's Fuzzcast vol 14 is now available

drfuzz.podomatic.com

Dr.Fuzz's Fuzzcast vol. 14

Tavs Falco Panther Burns – Dateless Night
      break
      Link Wray and his Raymen – The Fuzz
      Lee Sain – Tight Pants
      Atto Di Foreza – Sono Uno Di
      Tyvek – 4312
      The Saint Louis Union – About my Girl
      Break
      Piney Brown and The Blues Toppers – Sugar in my Tea
      The Seeds – Pushing to Hard
      Let’s Active – Every Word Means No
      Mikel Cronin and Ty Segall – Suffragette City
      The Blenders – Don’t Fuck around with Love
      Break
      Mickey and Sylvia – No Good Lover
      The Paragons – Pretty Words
      Jimmy Rodgers – Mule Skinner Blues
      The Hex Dispensers – Personality X-Ray
      Ivan – Real Wild Child
      Break
      The Chips – Rubber Biscuits
      The Staple Singers – Going Away
      Southern Culture on the Skids – I Dig Tunnels
      The Waikikis – Boeing Meets Girl
      13 Crimson Ghost – Halloween
      The Five Jones Boys – Mr. Ghost to Town
      Break
      Beastie Boys - So Whatcha Want

• October 27, 2012 1:39 PM CDT
    • www.psychedelicgarageshow.blogspot.com

Syndicated weekly radio show playing 2 hrs of psychedelic sounds and garage rock and anything else I feel like playing.  Featuring tracks from the Garage Punk Hideout Comps as well as both new and old music that is unlikely to be heard anywhere else. 

• October 27, 2012 9:56 AM CDT
    • Soft Cell & Jim Foetus "Ghost Rider" live 1983

• October 27, 2012 9:46 AM CDT
    • and now, something completely different...  :)

• October 26, 2012 11:30 PM CDT
    • Get on with it and just turn it up.