Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 26, 2012 9:58 PM CDT
    • got it

ill do that from now on

thanx

• October 26, 2012 8:12 PM CDT
    • I should have said 3/4ths of the so-called Million Dollar Quartet (And I only say that because there's no evidence that Johnny Cash was involved
       in the recordings , themselves , just the famous group picture....Cash once claimed he played a little rhythm guitar , but , that was it.). 
      John Battles said:

Ouch. I was fortunate enough to have seen 2/3rds of the so-called "Million Dollar Quartet", not gloating , but I saw Jerry Lee 6 times , Carl 3 times , Johnny twice , and , no , I'll never stop regretting that I never saw Elvis. Even in decline , he was a singing motherfucker.

Carl , at least , got it with Punk , to some degree . He said , "I heard some songs by The Sex Pistols , and they've got that 50's beat.". He was right , of course. It was all just Heavy Cochran , Punk was . Did'nt see the original Sweet or Slade , wish I had. Still have yet to see The Sonics. Did'nt go to Las Vegas Grind , because Screaming Lord Sutch kicked it before he was supposed to have played. There's a lot of shows in particular I had to miss , and bands or artists I COULD HAVE SEEN , WERE IT NOT FOR LOGISTICS....But , we can all say that , I guess.
      whatwave dave said:

I stupidly missed seeing Carl Perkins in about 1980...instead i went to see the Forgotten Rebels, a punk band from Hamilton Ontario Canada at another bar, the same night. I thought it was the punk thing to do, support the punk bands when they come to town, figuring Carl would be coming back at some point. I was talking to the singer of the Rebels that night, and he rightfully gave me shit for not going to see Carl Perkins!

Carl never came back to London and i never did get to see him.

• October 26, 2012 7:29 PM CDT
    • Ouch. I was fortunate enough to have seen 2/3rds of the so-called "Million Dollar Quartet", not gloating , but I saw Jerry Lee 6 times , Carl 3 times , Johnny twice , and , no , I'll never stop regretting that I never saw Elvis. Even in decline , he was a singing motherfucker.

Carl , at least , got it with Punk , to some degree . He said , "I heard some songs by The Sex Pistols , and they've got that 50's beat.". He was right , of course. It was all just Heavy Cochran , Punk was . Did'nt see the original Sweet or Slade , wish I had. Still have yet to see The Sonics. Did'nt go to Las Vegas Grind , because Screaming Lord Sutch kicked it before he was supposed to have played. There's a lot of shows in particular I had to miss , and bands or artists I COULD HAVE SEEN , WERE IT NOT FOR LOGISTICS....But , we can all say that , I guess.
      whatwave dave said:

I stupidly missed seeing Carl Perkins in about 1980...instead i went to see the Forgotten Rebels, a punk band from Hamilton Ontario Canada at another bar, the same night. I thought it was the punk thing to do, support the punk bands when they come to town, figuring Carl would be coming back at some point. I was talking to the singer of the Rebels that night, and he rightfully gave me shit for not going to see Carl Perkins!

• October 26, 2012 10:51 AM CDT
    • I stupidly missed seeing Carl Perkins in about 1980...instead i went to see the Forgotten Rebels, a punk band from Hamilton Ontario Canada at another bar, the same night. I thought it was the punk thing to do, support the punk bands when they come to town, figuring Carl would be coming back at some point. I was talking to the singer of the Rebels that night, and he rightfully gave me shit for not going to see Carl Perkins!

• October 25, 2012 12:36 PM CDT
    • Last week I had every intention of going to see the fabulous Jim Jones Revue again and had got it into my head that they were playing on the 11th. I called the club on the day to make sure there were tickets still available only to find that they played two days earlier! This got me thinking about bands that I'd missed over the years that were playing in my town but for one reason or another never got to see. The most well known I can think of was missing Nirvana when they toured with Mudhoney around the time of 'Bleach'. Every intention of going but I think it was raining or something so just didn't bother!

So...who didn't you see..and why?

• October 26, 2012 10:57 AM CDT
    • Staalplaat: (...)experimental, unusual and extreme music, underground tape culture and DIY art and graphic design.

Staalplaat

• October 26, 2012 10:44 AM CDT
    • VITAL WEEKLY

offical website for Vital Weekly

Vital Weekly is an e-mail magazine, which appears 48 times a year and has the latest cd-reviews and news on concerts and festivals.

• October 26, 2012 10:47 AM CDT
    • Wobbly Lamps will be playing with Bad For Lazarus on 6th November at The Black Heart in Camden. Come and say hello!

• October 26, 2012 6:07 AM CDT
    • ATOMIC SUPLEX! Loved the world over even if they destroy the local music club. Nuff' said.

• October 26, 2012 12:24 AM CDT
    • Someone already mentioned The Creeping Ivies. That's a great one. For garage in the UK, check out Dirty Water Records. Thee Vicars, MFC Chicken, etc.

• October 26, 2012 10:31 AM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 25/2012

Another all London Ontario show as we count down to Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 show this weekend. On friday we have the art opening at 7PM at Forest City Gallery. And on Saturday night at Call The Office, we have;Uranus, NFG, The Zellots and The Enemas reuniting for one night only.

At both shows we'll have copies of What Wave 24, the all London issue. Band trees, info and lots of pics in this 104 page,  plastic bound book. And it comes with a 90m cassette of London bands from 1978 to 1992, almost all unreleased material!

1. Pete Tangredi....Life Is A Crazy Passion...from the Demics Covers CD.

2. Uranus...Motorbikin'....from the cassette that comes with WW 24 called Slippery's Club Hits.

3. Uranus...You're So Square...from their hit single from 1980.

4. Uranus...Shake Some Action...from a live to air on CFNY 1980.

5. The Zellots...Soldiers...from Slippery's Club Hits.

6. The Zellots...Boots...recorded live at the Kent Hotel, early 80's.

7. The Zellots...Empty Victories....1980 demo.

8. NFG...Cowboy Rock...from Slippery's Club Hits.

9. NFG...Media Junkie...recorded live late 70's at the York or the Cedar Lounge.

10. NFG...After...as above.

11. NFG...House Of The Rising Sun...as above.

12. The Enemas...Joe Wyatt...from Slippery's Club Hits. This is the only song we've got from The Enemas.

13. The Terminals...Spiderman...from the We Killed CD and a request.

14. Flying Squad...Health Food...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood LP from 1989.

15. Flying Squad...I'm So Cool...late 80's demo about a former DJ at this radio station.

16. Flying Squad...Brian Mulroney...demo.

17. Captain Scarlet and The Mysterons...Scars Of Love...from Slippery's Club Hits.

18. Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons...Are You Really Gone?...from the Four Whom The Bell Tolls 7" that came with WW # 16.

19. Captain Scarlet and The Mysterons...A Piece Of Me...late 80's demo.

20. Ukase...Runaround...from their only 7".

21. The Hippies...Can Teens...from Slippery's Club Hits.

22. The Finks...Magic Eyes....as above.

23. UIC...Shamrock Bang...as above.

Back next week wiith more, including a session recorded exclusively for Radio What Wave from The Dynamite Pussy Club from Bath, UK. And a pile of requests...seeya at the London Record Show on sunday at Centennial Hall here in London.

Here's a link to the archived show:
      http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• October 25, 2012 2:40 PM CDT
    • Not really garage but Duane Eddy did some cool fuzz guitar Dylan covers on his Duane Does Dylan album. Couldn't find anything on YouTube but here's a short mp3 sample of "All I Really Want To Do".

• October 25, 2012 2:28 PM CDT
    • I think we made pretty good use of some boss scenes from The Mini-Skirt Mob.

• October 25, 2012 1:46 PM CDT
    • My friend and I made a video for The Hydeouts, we were very pleased with the final result...loosely based off the 1974 movie...The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but all original footage we shot.  Check it!

Check this one out! Just in time for Halloween!

• October 25, 2012 12:46 PM CDT
    • Won't claim it's anyone's "favorite," but it's garage-y and we had a lotta fun making it... and it's seasonal!

• October 25, 2012 1:45 PM CDT
    • THE REASONING :)

• October 25, 2012 1:38 PM CDT
    • The Handcuffs are kick ass indeed ....thanx :)

melissa scott said:

Hey -- thanks to all the garagepunkers on here for keeping this discussion alive. I still can't get past X and Exene C -- my all-time fave female singer in one of my most-loved bands. Of course, I've also listed The Divinyls previously. Insane live -- downright dangerous to be in the front of the audience when they came on in their heydey. I mean, you may have been in danger of getting your mind blown.

That said, I can't get past The Jackets right now. I just love Jackie and what she brings to her audience. I wish I could see them live, but a trip to Europa at the moment just ain't in the stars for me.

Closer to Stateside, check out the Handcuffs from Chicago if you like some power pop and good guitar noise. I'd list more but my brain is not working due to instant-only coffee causing a misfiring of my neurons today.

• October 25, 2012 12:24 PM CDT
    • You know, I'd always dismissed the Inca Babies as being a Birthday Party rip-off after seeing them support Johnny Thunders at the Hacienda in Manchester back in the 80's and so never got any of their records. However, I picked up a copy of the Rumble LP at a record fair the other week, and despite the obvious influence, it's very good. Just sayin'.

• October 25, 2012 12:16 PM CDT
    • It's been brought to my attention that , while we've had some interesting ongoing discussions about The Stones , The Who seldom if ever comes up here...

If anyone wants to talk about The Who's (vast) influence on what we now call Garage Punk, OR , JUST ON YOU , PERSONALLY, the floor is open. Sure, I was a wee small lad when they actually broke, but it's important (though painfully obvious) to note that the early Who , like The Pretty Things or The Small Faces , were largely an underground group in the states that a select number of Garage bands drew inspiration from , before the king - size hit , "I Can See For Miles" and the conquest of Monterrey Pop in '67..... 

Two things you're free to take with a grain of salt : Kenny Jones. He killed. Live , at least. He did'nt try to emulate Moon . Yet , he has a bad rap for NOT trying. Only Zak Starkey has pulled that particular stunt off....

And "Call Me Lightning" ,  one of their best R'N'R songs. I've only heard three bands cover it : The (Later ) Flamin' Groovies , Los Johnny Jets (As "Dam Dam" ) and Joan Jett and The Blackhearts. Anyone heard any other versions?

• October 25, 2012 11:32 AM CDT
    • everything with reh dogg and b-real

maybe I wanna get high