Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 1, 2012 8:16 AM CDT
    • V2 is the second studio album by the punk band the Vibrators, released in 1978 on Epic Records.

• October 1, 2012 8:13 AM CDT
    • Streets is a compilation album of early British punk rock bands from a variety of independent record labels.

Side one
      "Trash" by The Doll
      "Fear on the Streets" by The Members
      "Be My Prisoner" by The Lurkers
      "Isgodaman" by Arthur Comics
      "Arabs in 'Arrads" by The art attacks
      "19" by Dogs
      "Talk Talk Talk Talk" by Reaction
      "College Girls" by Cane
      Side two
      "Cranked Up Really High" by Slaughter & the Dogs
      "Ain't Bin to No Music School" by The Nosebleeds
      "Lookalikes" by The Drones
      "Hungry" by Zeros
      "Bend and Flush" by The Pork Dukes
      "Disaster Movie" by Exile
      "Jerkin" by Drive
      "Innocents" by John Cooper Clarke
      "No More Rock 'n' Roll" by Tractor

• October 1, 2012 8:06 AM CDT
    • WhiZZ Guy – Get You In My Train

Various ‎– Keihard En Swingend!
      Label:
      EMI-Bovema Holland – 5C 028-25884X
      Format:
      Vinyl, LP, Compilation
      Netherlands
      Released:

• October 1, 2012 7:55 AM CDT
    • Is this in response to something in particular or you just think this is a good record or what? It seems to be a pretty random comment.

Erik Johannes Matze said:

Join Hands is the second studio album by English post-punk band Siouxsie and the Banshees. It was released by Polydor Records in September 1979. It reached number 13 in the UK albums chart.[1] Guitarist John McKay and drummer Kenny Morris left the band shortly after the album's release.

• October 1, 2012 7:22 AM CDT
    • Join Hands is the second studio album by English post-punk band Siouxsie and the Banshees. It was released by Polydor Records in September 1979. It reached number 13 in the UK albums chart.[1] Guitarist John McKay and drummer Kenny Morris left the band shortly after the album's release.

• October 1, 2012 7:10 AM CDT
    • King Automatic

Jónbjörn Birgisson said:

seasick steve

king automatic

dead elvis and his one man grave

• October 1, 2012 7:05 AM CDT
    • Armand

• October 1, 2012 7:02 AM CDT
    • Billy Bragg

• October 1, 2012 6:36 AM CDT
    • DAF - Mein herz macht bum

Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft ‎– Alles Ist Gut (1981) virgin

Ideal ‎– Der Ernst Des Lebens (1981)

Mau mau ~ Kraft (1982) polydor

Palais Schaumburg ‎– Lupa (1982)

• October 1, 2012 6:34 AM CDT
    • Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft ‎– Alles Ist Gut (1981) virgin

Ideal ‎– Der Ernst Des Lebens (1981)

Mau mau ~ Kraft (1982) polydor

Palais Schaumburg ‎– Lupa (1982)

• October 1, 2012 6:01 AM CDT
    • The Doors ~ The Doors January 4, 1967

• October 1, 2012 5:47 AM CDT
    • The Shit ???

• October 1, 2012 5:36 AM CDT
    • How about some Turkish instro-psych?

Hayvanlar Alemi even make Lambada sound cool! From 2010 album on Sublime Frequencies

• October 1, 2012 2:35 AM CDT
    • I love the fact this thread will never die.

Here's something I discovered just this morning.

• October 1, 2012 2:34 AM CDT
    • Screamin' Jay Hawkins did a fairly weird cover of this song. Not this weird though.

John Battles said:

HE'S NOT KIDDING , EITHER !

Bry Nylon said:

OK here above is a pic of the label of one of our little gems

methinks life's too short to simply restrict yourself to the good stuff - many of you of course may already know of this one - but for the benefit of those who don't - here it is again  

(oh no !!!)

...anyway I posted this one a while back elsewhere on GRGPNK hideout -

Burt Ward ( Boy Wonder from the original '60's Batman TV series - is here paired up with Frank Zappa - ouch) ...copies of this 45 seem to be promos ( I have never seen a 'standard issue' ) -  the B side of this 45 is called 'orange coloured skies' - and unbelievably it is even worse ... in fact it is so bad ...that it makes all of William Shatners output seem positively tuneful !!!! 

be very afraid

• September 30, 2012 3:48 PM CDT
    • Screamo-core

Screamoo!

• September 30, 2012 3:47 PM CDT
    • Screamoo!

• September 30, 2012 9:33 PM CDT
    • glitter Dick...is that a tease....bring it on...sounds like it will be great

Kendal Killjoy said:

Glam fans might enjoy a project I'm working on now called Glitter Dick.  Kinda glam punk stuff with some occasional surf thrown in for fun. Sorry for the shameless self plug:-(

MikeL said:

I love the "Velvet Goldmine" soundtrack:)

Kendal Killjoy said:

skipping the obvious bands that come to mind, Shudder to Think did some amazing Bowie-esque stuff in Velvet Goldmine and some of their original material is pretty glamtastic as well.

• September 30, 2012 6:12 PM CDT
    • Glam fans might enjoy a project I'm working on now called Glitter Dick.  Kinda glam punk stuff with some occasional surf thrown in for fun. Sorry for the shameless self plug:-(

MikeL said:

I love the "Velvet Goldmine" soundtrack:)

Kendal Killjoy said:

skipping the obvious bands that come to mind, Shudder to Think did some amazing Bowie-esque stuff in Velvet Goldmine and some of their original material is pretty glamtastic as well.

• September 30, 2012 7:25 PM CDT
    • Awesome, thanks for posting these!  I got really excited when I first saw it was at Farmington because I was like "Iggy played in New Mexico in Farmington in the early seventies????!!!!"...but then saw that there is also a Farmington in Michigan...so I also learned something today.

• September 30, 2012 7:21 PM CDT
    • The way I view this argument now is the same way I view any other genre.  E.G. You can't write classical music, even if you write in the same style.  Classical music (like Baroque, like punk) was a type of music in a certain time period, you can write neo-classical, contemporary, etc.  So one can play punk-revival, or neo-punk, or third wave/fourth wave/fifth wave punk etc.  But the genre, just like, say, modernism or vorticism, or victorian, is tied to it's time period.  It's sound + attitude + time period = genre in my eyes.

As far as "But Punk is an attitude/lifestyle" it always struck me as odd that punk gets to claim all that rebellion for itself, claiming that old acts from the 50's/40's were "punk before there was punk"...truth is that certain attitudes have always existed and it's ego-centric of the genre to claim the attributes for itself when they existed prior (e.g. same thing with Screamin Hay Hawkins being "psychobilly before there was psychobilly", or other such claims with other genres).  Punk is just another footnote in a long lineage/tradition of that attitude.

I am on point with Sam that many of those early seventies punk bands and "proto-punk" bands wanted to achieve success (just listen to the Ramones bitch in interviews about how they formed a cultural niche but never had the cash to go with it), and that whole anti-mainstream thing started with 80's hardcore DIY aesthetic...which is great to have an outlet when there isn't one in the mainstream, but I don't think NOT having people hear your music is the point.  It's kinda like a kid who sits alone at lunch and isn't well liked saying "well, good, I didn't want them to like me anyway".

So, yea, there's a dollar's worth....just give me 98 cents back...

• September 30, 2012 6:10 PM CDT
    • I was fortunate to be given a big box of 45's from my drummer with tons of old doo-wop, mo-town, and early rock.  Pride of the collection is an original Kingsmen "Louie Louie" with "Haunted Castle" on the B-side.

also Buddy Holly Peggy Sue on Coral records, and The Chantelles "Maybe".  

Honorable mention because they are tot 45's but just 7", but Shannon & The Clams "Hunk Hunt" and Mosquito Bandito "One Man Bandit" have been getting lots of play from me recently

• September 30, 2012 3:44 PM CDT
    • I went to the Flying Spiders (1978/79)!

The Spiderz - Car

• September 30, 2012 3:30 PM CDT
    • BUTTHOLE SURFERS Electric Larryland promo TV Commercial #3

• September 30, 2012 3:26 PM CDT
    • Sex Pistols ~ Spunk (1977)

Original 1977 Bootleg Album
      1 Seventeen 2:09
      2 Satellite 4:12
      3 Feelings (No Feelings) 2:54
      4 Just Me (I Wanna Be Me) 3:16
      5 Submission 4:17
      6 Nookie (Anarchy In The U.K.) 4:10