Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 12, 2012 3:09 PM CDT
    • Huevos Rancheros (Canadian surf awesomeness):

• September 11, 2012 11:24 AM CDT
    • what a great comp this would be in the same vein as the Louie, Louie comp.  great thread.  Tom Jones / White obviously trying a bit too hard but I do like the version.  Maybe about time I listen to that album release.

• September 10, 2012 6:33 PM CDT
    • ....We have'nt talked about The Everly Bros. version? They did great versions of "Jezebel" and "Temptation" (Two very similar songs when you get right down to it.) around the same time , with Proto - Garage , "Peter Gunn " played backwards guitar. Too Tuff !

• September 10, 2012 11:14 AM CDT
    • GREAT!

Dead Boy said:

The Illusions

• September 10, 2012 10:45 AM CDT
    • The Illusions

• September 9, 2012 2:39 PM CDT
    • Oh yeah,

The Mono Men, b-side on the 'I Don't Care' 7"

(Can't find any audio on the web, kind of a scarce track used on a couple comps and a 'best of' CD. Maybe someone can post a link if they know of one?)

• September 12, 2012 1:30 PM CDT
    • Volume 2 is good as well, though I prefer vol. 1.

Another great comp from the same label:

• September 10, 2012 5:01 PM CDT
    • So what's the word on volume 2? Is it a blind buy too?

• September 10, 2012 1:29 AM CDT
    • This is the comp that turned me on to African garage. Love it!

• September 11, 2012 11:38 AM CDT
    • I'm so bummed ..this will be the first year of many that I will not be attending Gonerfest. Fucking heartbroken. :( I'll be there next year though. OH, and I just saw Bits of Shit in Australia... they are punk as fuck, enjoy! I will miss my Gonerfest family this year.. 

• September 11, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
    • September 10, 2012 10:22 PM CDT
    • Hey, all. I'm a copy technician and musician living in New Hampshire. I play and teach bass, ukulele, piano, sax, and clarinet. I also used to do talk radio, but then I realized it was time I could put into music.

My journey through music (the short version) start's with my dad's oldies and jazz collection. The first time I heard/saw Fishbone was on the movie "Back to the Beach", and I decided then and there that I would always be an individual. Later I discovered punk rock and grunge, which eventually led me back to oldies, and I discovered more obscure bands from the 60s, and have filled in many of the gaps.

I'm really digging this new wave of garage bands, and the new soul that's on some alternative radio stations. Love the podcasts I hear on this website, some I've been following for years.

Hit me up if you're in New England.

P.S.
      The Beach Boys > The Beatles

• September 10, 2012 8:49 PM CDT
    • New playlist up! Listen if you like Iggy Pop, Dead Kennedys, and The Adolescents and wanna hear new stuff like FIDLAR and the Skullians!

www.mediazoic.com/jambone-scuzz

• September 10, 2012 7:31 PM CDT
    • Were Q65 ever considered Mod ? I can understand Dutch Mods listening to them , but they never struck me as being anything other than angry , greasy R'n'B/Proto Punk. If anybody is interested in one of the definitive accounts of debauchery in Rock'n'Roll , check out Pim Scheelings' outstanding "Q65". Pim is here on the hideout. I don't know if you can order directly from him , if not , Mike Stax at Ugly Things , has it.

Bittersweet story about Bo Diddley. He used to play in Chicago all the time at this crap bar up the street from me. MAYBE A FEW MODS SHOWED UP , BUT , I NEVER WOULD HAVE EXPECTED TO SEE ANY.

hicksville hogwash said:

Ahhhhh fuckin' Modz.  I was one '79 ish ....yeh  a revialist, powered by thee jam.  Quadraphenia movie's out.  Every dickhead Jimmy wannabe riding round gardens at drunk'n parties, wardrobes pushed outta bedroom windows, pill popping.... anyol'shit the pharmacists son could steal.... incuding cod liver oil capsules.

What turned me off mod was when God - Bo Diddley came to a city 12 miles away.  I and 2 friends went on scooterz.  (I expected the place to be full of suited coolsterz but nah those mods had no idea, other than thee who, quadrahenia and motown).  I shared Bo with greasy ol' long haired biker rockerz.  It still is the best live experience ever.   A small pub backroom and Bo backed by an eager young rock n' roll group.

I'd suggest checking out dutch mods -

any q65 material http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgduSEG2gG8 

de maskers - sensations in sounds album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dx168kpFAg

and bo diddley.

....how do you embed vids?......

• September 10, 2012 7:18 PM CDT
    • "When Paul Weller comes to America , he says he has nothing to do with The Mod Revival . Those kids are beating each other up over HAIRCUTS over there !" .

Pete Zaremba , The Fleshtones , on why he refused a personal invite to open for The Jam in New York City.

John Battles said:

Mod and Mod Psych : The Eyes , The Move  , The Birds , The Smoke , The Sorrows ....

Mod Revival : U.S. Mods , Civilized Age (Mod Psych) , Mod Fun ( All U.S.)

Secret Affair (UK).

• September 10, 2012 7:00 PM CDT
    • And , of course , Van Morrisson was motivated to start his own R'N'B BAND , INSTEAD OF A SHOW BAND , FROM SEEING THE MIGHTY , MIGHTY SECT. I ASKED DON CRAINE OF THE SECT (WHO'S GREEN - BLOODED LIKE MORRISSON ,  AND , FOR THE MOST PART , MYSELF.) IF VAN EVER SAT IN , AT LEAST ON HARP OR SAX , WITH THE SECT , BUT , IT TURNS OUT , HE DID'NT.

Thee Retroman said:

The Sect were not mods as such but the original South London mods loved to see them live with their pure R&B sets and the Irish mods followed Them as an R&B band, again not mod as such but the music suited. Mods never really had their own bands they listened to R&B and take from anything thats cool! they had taste!

John Battles said:

Artwoods and John's  Children , I agree with. I never thought of The Sect or Them as Mod , so much as hard R'n'B , but ,then ,  The Sect were all over the place. Funny thing , tho' , I heard some mod organizations hired The Sect and The Troggs for their events. Then comlained that they did'nt sound enough like their records....If they sounded any more like their records , now, they'd have to announce Winston Churchill's death between sets.

Dan ring said:

The prisoners are a great example of the mod sound. Another band that had some bite,also from the 80's was les elite.

...more on the power pop tip but a personal fave of the mod revival groups of the 80's was the teen beats! They had a great 7" out called I can't control myself.
      Thee Retroman said:

The Prisoners were a mod band with bite! and so were the Daggerman... the energy of these bands was how mod should sound. 

The Eyes

The Sorrows

Johns Children

Downliners Sect

The Wheels

Them

The Artwoods.......................

theres a few to start you off lol

• September 10, 2012 5:27 AM CDT
    • Mod bands well look wise I think Ivans Meads and St Louis Union take some beating, they really are the real deal, and stand side by side the likes of The Action, The Small Faces. There was another band that had the look sewn up just as much as the bands I just mentioned, They were a bunch of kids from Nottingham England, called This End, but sadly never made it to a studio, neither did fellow Nottingham band The Children who were the official support band for The Small faces, when they played The Boat Club.

Sound wise too many to mention if i am honest

• September 10, 2012 2:08 PM CDT
    • released many years ago but you still can only order t-shirt and stickers, such a shame..

• September 10, 2012 11:43 AM CDT
    • No I hate t blow a trumpet so close t' mine, but I'm in a-love with a Hurricane Valley...
      professionally of course.
      http://www.dickvenom.com 

• September 9, 2012 12:59 PM CDT
    • 'LITTLE ARROWS" LEAPY LEE.  

"sOME FOLKS PUT ON ARMOUR , BUT THE ARROWS GO RIGHT THROUGH."

"SOME FOLKS PUT ON ABBA....." 

"THAT YOU'LL LOVE THOSE LITTLE ARROWS WHEN THEY HURT A LITTLE BIT"

"....WHEN THEY HURT A LITTLE BITCH.".       SORRY , THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE....

• September 9, 2012 12:58 PM CDT
    • done!

• September 9, 2012 12:47 PM CDT
    • Show #388: "The Eggman Collection #122" playlist:

Neu! - "Negativland"
      Sunshine - "Dream Selection"
      Hanson - "Mister Music Maker"
      Bob Dylan - "Girl From The North Country"
      Keith Powell - "It Keeps Rainin'"
      The Peep Show - "Your Servant Stephen"
      Concrete Rubber Band - "What Shall We Do"
      The Yankee Rebels - "I Wanna Know Why"
      Ramatam - "a. The Land, b. Rainy Sunday Evening"
      Manfred Mann - "Each And Every Day"
      The Doors - "You're Lost Little Girl"
      The Jim Sullivan Sound - "She Walks Through The Fair"
      The Vagrants - "Young Blues"
      The Sunrisers - "I Saw Her Yesterday"
      Bob Dylan - "It Ain't Me Babe"
      De Maskers with Willy Schobben - "Concerto d'Aranjuez"
      Raspberries - "Let's Pretend"
      Queen - "Stone Cold Crazy"
      The Black Bumbles - "'Cause I Do"
      Pearls Before Swine - "Island Lady"
      NRBQ- "C'mon Everybody [single version]"
      Henry Cow - "Nirvana For Mice"
      The Fendermen - "Mule Skinner Blues"
      George Harrison - "Run Of The Mill"
      The Emergency Crew - "Mindbender (Confusion's Prince)"
      The McCoys - "Open Your Eyes"
      Jeff St. John's Copperwine - "Environment in 3 Parts"
      The Buzz - "I Gotta Buzz"
      Small Faces - "That Man"
      Lothar & The Hand People - "Midnight Ranger"
      The Roaches - "Someone With A Heart"
      The Rare Breed - "Lightning Doesn't Strike Twice"
      The Lost Souls - "Peace Of Mind"
      The Byrds - "Get To You"
      The Legend - "Baby Blue"
      Vaughan Thomas - "Since You've Been Mine"
      Grateful Dead - "Terrapin Station: i. Lady With A Fan, ii. Terrapin Station, iii. Terrapin, iv. Terrapin Transit, v. At A Siding, vi. Terrapin Flyer, vii. Refrain"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/388.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/388.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg