Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 28, 2012 2:26 AM CDT
    • Horrible news
      really sad!
      He was a nice guy
      RIP

• July 27, 2012 5:46 PM CDT
    • Love going out to Thee Vicars & Chris's family right now, I'm so shocked. He was one of the most fun, awesome people I ever met. Super nice guy. R.I.P. xxx

• July 27, 2012 5:38 PM CDT
    • just the sweetest kid in the world, and so talented, and so funny,  ♡ You Chris !

• July 27, 2012 5:28 PM CDT
    • OMG, really sad news.

• July 27, 2012 3:44 PM CDT
    • Terrible, terrible news only knew the music love and thoughts to those that knew him. X

• July 27, 2012 2:40 PM CDT
    • really bummed out about this. so sad, he was so young, and a nice guy. RIP. x

• July 27, 2012 1:57 PM CDT
    • One of, if not the best young UK garage bands. Chris will be truly missed. 

• July 27, 2012 1:55 PM CDT
    • oui, c’est vraiment très triste !

• July 27, 2012 1:50 PM CDT
    • This is terrible. 

• July 27, 2012 1:50 PM CDT
    • Sad news indeed, saw them play only the other week.

• July 27, 2012 12:52 PM CDT
    • Just found out, very sad. 

• July 27, 2012 12:23 PM CDT
    • Very sad news.

• July 27, 2012 11:52 AM CDT
    • They were supposed to play in Brighton on the 11th of August! What a terrible turn of events.

• July 27, 2012 11:32 AM CDT
    • So sad...I really dug these guys

• July 27, 2012 11:16 AM CDT
    • Damn...

• July 27, 2012 10:56 AM CDT
    • Just read this on Facebook... Thee Vicars have a page here on the Hideout.

Sad news. Chris Langeland, guitarist and co-songwriter with Thee Vicars (the one on the right in the photo below), was found dead late on Wednesday evening. I'll be attending the funeral in Bury St Edmunds on Tuesday 7th August.

-PJ Crittenden

• July 27, 2012 10:32 PM CDT
    • Thank you , M.G.    -     A "SLAB" OR "FULL SLAB" IS A FULL ORDER OF PORK OR BEEF RIBS.    A Half - slab , half of the same.....

I'm surprised they have'nt mentioned that on that program. If they REALLY wanted to see "Man vs. Food" , they should have see me tear away at a full slab at Rendezvous Barbecue in Memphis (Where , just by chance , The Stones have been known to get their 'cue on.).

Mark George Harrison said:

You never fail to put a smile on my face JB! What is a 'full slab?' never heard of that before, and Ive watched a lot of 'man versus food!'

John Battles said:

No , it's true. Mick is from The Deep South . He led the big migration to England that was later followed by The Walker Bros. , Jimi Hendrix , Suzi Quatro and Sparks. He had to take a course in Assimilation , though when he attended The London College of Economics. IN OTHER WORDS , WHEREAS AN ENGLISH PERSON MIGHT SAY "BANGERS AND MASH , PLEASE" , MICK WOULD HAVE SAID , "A FULL SLAB , WITH LOUISIANA HOT SAUCE , CORNBREAD , AND WHAT SIDES HAVE YOU GOT?".

"TEA , milk and sugar , with lemon , if you will".        "Sweet tea , ma'am"

" I SAY , I DON'T ARF FANCY HER !"    "Gaaahhh damn ! She's hot as July Jam".

" I quite like Muddy Waters on Chess Records , me. It'd be an HONOUR  to share the same stage with him , one day....AHHHHH. As if that'll ever happen." 

"Muddy Waters? I filled his car up with Regular , once. Purdy good guy to shoot the shit with.".

Are you trying to imply Micks not from the deep south JB? The ever changing Jagger voice has always amused me, from well spoken middle class young man to naughty cockney to cringe inducing faux American accent. Still, when you've got his money!

John Battles said:

Mark George ,    WHA' , Y'MEAN , SOUTH OF LONDON?

I've been too busy to just look it up , but , for eons (That's aoens in Yankeese.)

I thought Jagger was saying " I'm gonna hit and run rape her in anger"
      (In "Midnight Rambler" ) , which , I thought , even for him , was misogynistic as Hell , though , obviously , not coming from the First Person P.O.V. , but from a role played in the song.     But , then , it occured to me , he was probably saying "Rapier" , as he's reading off a list of weapons ( " Knife - sharpened tipee - toe , shoot 'em dead....cloak and dagger....stick my knife right down your throat".).

I also thought an audience member was saying "CODS , HAM !!! CODS , HAM !!!" , BUT , Rock'n'Roll fucks upyour ears.

Sorry JB, I did wonder at you getting something wrong!

A lot of Jaggers lyrics are hard to decipher due to his 'southern drawl!'

John Battles said:

THAT'S WHAT i WAS SAYING  , THAT THE CORRECT WORD WAS RAPIER , THE WAY I ORIGINALLY HEARD IT , THOUGH , WAS RAZOR.   FROM "HONKY TONK WOMEN ON , IT'S CORRECT LYRIC , FIRST.           ANYONE WANT TO TACKLE "MIDNIGHT RAMBLER , AND STAY FASHIONABLE , WHILE WE'RE AT IT?

Whiskey in the jar is rapier JB, not razor. 

John Battles said:

"Hot and Nasty" , Black Oak Arkansas - "They call me hot and nasty , they call me Mr. Pansy.".       Actual lyric - "They call me Mr. Fancy".

Johnny Thunders (And Walter Lure's Heroes) "Too Much Junkie Business"

"Your the coolest thing in town , with your face flat on the ground. Friends went through your pockets as the coffee went down...."

"...AS THE COFFIN WENT DOWN".

( I thought they were saying "Coffee" in reference the suposedly surefire way to revive an OD victim by pouring hot coffee down their throat , which , reportedly , is how original Dolls Drummer, Billy Murcia , died. ).

"Honky Tonk Women" , YOU KNOW WHO. "I laid a Divorcee in New York City..."

"I LATER DID THE SAME IN NEW YORK CITY....". 

"Whiskey In The Jar" (Trad.) - Dubliners , Thin Lizzy.

" I first produced me pistol , and then produced my rapier." 

"And then produced my razor.''.

David Bowie - "Hang on To Yourself" -     "And we move around like tigers on vaseline"

"If you like f*gg*ts and vaseline".  I'm sorry , that IS what it sounded like until I saw the actual lyrics.

"All The Madmen "- "My libido split on me , give me some good old lobotomy."

"And The Beatles split on me...." (Very topical for 1971.)

"Ziggy Stardust" - "He could lick 'em by smiling....." . Do I have to say it?

"The kids were just crass"     "The kids were just crap.".

"Suffragette City"  "AW , DOOGIE , DON'T CRASH HERE"  

"There's usually dope 'round here....".

"Width of a Circle"    'To which he laughed insane "Kahlil Gibran".

"To which he laughed and said "God's will , children."

Romeo Void (I forget the song.)    "Get THAT JERK OFF YOUR MIND" (Do I have to say it?).

• July 27, 2012 10:23 PM CDT
    • To Kopper - Yeah , Tony Barber from the (Latter day) Buzzcocks was playing with The Creation at this time...Barber also played in Sham 69 , UK Subs , and reportedly (Tho' he denied it.) The Pork Dukes. In 2001-2 , The Buzzcocks were making plans to reform , after an extended hiatus , so Barber was alternating between The Creation and The Buzzcocks.....Pardon my Rock journalism. I was at the New York show and the two Chicago gigs. They were ON FIRE !!!! 

Trace - I was'nt able to access this recording , but I will try again.

I do know one person who made a top notch audio recording of , I think , the second night , but , I have'nt seen them in a long time , and don't know if they made copies for anyone , except , presumably , the band.

I did hear , recently , The Creation are still gigging on occasion.

• July 27, 2012 10:27 AM CDT
    • Cool, thanks for sharing. I saw the Creation the year before (Oct. 2001) at Cavestomp in NYC, a month or so after 9/11. They were fantastic... and, if I remember correctly, they had a member of the Buzzcocks in the band?

• July 27, 2012 9:17 PM CDT
    • I LOVE it! 

• July 27, 2012 6:42 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist....July 29/2012

This show was kinda messed up as we had transmission problems at CHRW....not me on the board fucking up, but something wrong with the signal being fed to the transmitter. I stayed after the show with the Station Manager and we were able to get it somewhat fixed...helps being an electronics tech from way back....hahaha...

1. Tommyknockers....We Want The Airwaves....from a double LP called Gabba Gabba Hey on XXX Records from 1991. This is our pal Rich Coffee's combo making a great opening...also there's a Ramones tribute happening at Call The Office on Friday Aug 3rd. Tommyknockers will not be there as Rich has hung up his rock'n'roll shoes after way too many years in the trenches.

2. The Regulators...What's In The City...from their only 7" and for Jeff Morritt who passed away last week.

3. The Stance...Impossible Baby...from the Shall Inherit The Earth CD and the start of our East coast set....Stance were from Halifax and played London a coupla times a few years back.

4. The Shats...My Swingin' Girlfriend...from a 7" comp called East Infection on Foul And Fair Records.

5. Walkin' Jacks...She Tells Me...from their Drop Dead CD. Buncha characters from various places on the east coast that get together to record some real cool tunes.

6. Deadly Hearts...The Wobble...from their self titled and only CD as drummer Myles Deck has moved to Toronto.

7. Methadones...Heart Of The City...from their 20th Century Power Pop Riot CD. Dan Vapid and The Cheats are here in London tonite and that is 3 of the 4 members of the Methadones. It's a Speed City Records 15th Birthday Party...coolest record shop in London Ontario.

8. Methadones...I'm About To Crack...from the Career Objective CD.

9. Methadones...Bored Of Television...from their Not Economically Viable CD.

10. Kirk Special....77's....from his CD, The Fewer The Facts The Stronger The Opinion...from Adelaide Australia and he was in town 2 years ago....great one man band!

11. Regulators...That's Right, Nothing's Left...flip of the above single and is appropriate as only 2 of The Regulators are still with us. One of the early London Ontario punk combos.

12. Dennis Most...I Love My Car...from the Instigate Me CD that just came into our clutches. Dennis' claim to fame, is his KBD anthem Excuse My Spunk.

13. Stupidity...Move...from the CD of the same name. They are from Sweden and were in the US for several weeks this summer.

14. Pow Wows....Number 13...from their brand new Get Hip single. From Toronto.

15. Fill Spectre...Homesick Party Girl...from the Scare Your Friends CD and is a one man project of one of the Pow Wows...

16. Tyranna....Johnny...from their recent LP on Rave Up  Records...Toronto punks from the late 70's who finally get a real record out!

17. Light Bulb Alley...Pepper Spray...from the Garagepunk Hideout CD called We Love Trash.

18. Ross Daily...Radio Sucks....recorded live at Call The Office 4/9/96 when they opened for The New Bomb Turks. Local combo who are re-uniting for one show only tonite.

19. Ross Daily...I Don't Want You Around....from a 7" they released in 1995.

20. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...El Camino Warrior...from a 7" on Speed City Records.

21. Beat Happening...Revolution??...not sure of the song title, but recorded live at Call The Office 3/18/91 when they opened for Shadowy Men...Calvin Johnson of Beat Happening was doing a solo show in town on the eve of this show.

22. Dynamite Pussy Club...Testify...from the Church Of Yeah CD.

23.Ben Vaughn and Kim Fowley...Chasing The Dragon from their CD, Kings Of Saturday Night from 1995. Fowley yammers as only he can and Ben masters the telecaster!

24. Blue Demons...Cougar Country....from their recent Boppa Do Down 7".

25. Living Deadbeats...Time...recorded live at Call The Office 7/23/12. Great live show on a really hot monday night...glad i booked the next day as a vacation after that one!

26. Living Deadbeats...Control Freak....from their brand new 12" .

27. The Mongrelettes...Boy Is Gone...from the latest Lost In Tyme Fanzine CD...#6, which just came out.

28. catl...Get Outta My Car...from their recent Soon This Will All Be Gone CD...

Thanx for all the phone-ins to tell me the signal was messed up!!  Much appreciated as you guys are on top of things!!

Back again next week with more noise...

Here's the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• July 27, 2012 1:43 PM CDT
    • This makes me think of a crossbow.

Axel Björnsson said:

...........!!!!!!!

• July 27, 2012 1:28 PM CDT
    • I'll second the nomination for Acid Baby Jesus.

• July 27, 2012 12:06 PM CDT
    • Hey Andrea, of course I "know you from around Boston" haha. Giuda was supposed to be Sun. which is only a hair better than Mon. but I have high hopes that it's worth going out early in the week. Unnatural Axe is on the bill and I'm not sure who else. That record is pretty darn good.

ZantiMissKnit said:

Joanie,

Hey, Andrea here (you know me from around Boston).  Thanks for posting about this.  I've seen the name Giuda bandied about but hadn't located anything about them yet.  This is some great stuff!  Shame they are playing on a Monday night, but I still may have to go check it out.

Joanie Lindstrom said:

For those of you who want to see someone new sounding like the heyday of upbeat rocking glam, check out Giuda from Italy doing a short tour in Sept.

http://terminal-boredom.com/forums/index.php?topic=35390.0

Should be good.