Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 5, 2012 5:43 PM CDT
    • And this SuperElectro 7"
      by The Fall-Outs
      Sleep b/w It's A Shame, Talk

• July 5, 2012 5:09 PM CDT
    • This one gets the most regular spins around my house.

• July 5, 2012 2:41 PM CDT
    • Underdog by Sly and the family stone 

Liars liars by the castaways

• July 5, 2012 2:39 PM CDT
    • After obsessing over the hilarity of this vid, I finally found the single at the bottom of a crate at the local record shop. Only 3 bucks!

• July 5, 2012 7:44 AM CDT
    • Great find! I agree that the sleeve tends to add the most novelty to a 7" but theres not much fun in looking at a record if you aren't gonna spin it!

Here's a new one I picked up recently. You can only get it on their tour though (at least for the time being). DZ Deathrays have the B-side.

• July 5, 2012 5:59 AM CDT
    • I'm more interested in picture sleeves than the actual music, I confess. Recently got this one, which I've been looking for forever.

• July 4, 2012 3:09 PM CDT
    • I have been buying 45s like crazy lately and would love to know what everyone's favorites are. Personally, I can't stop listening to the Ketamines 'Line by Line' 7". Really great stuff.

Honorable mentions would be GG King - 'Adult Rock' and Thee Ludds - 'Where to Begin'

Post up your favorites new and old.

• July 5, 2012 5:18 PM CDT
    • Ya think so, Rod? I recently listened to London Calling again after 20 years, and I've gotta say it sounds stale and affected, while their 1st LP still sounds diamond-sharp. 

The Ramones could still tinker around with slight differences, but it was still essentially "Da Ramones Sound"...

Maybe it depends on the band, but I find that at 48 I still like the "young, snotty, and pissed-off" records. 

Popularity rubs the edges off a band's sound. The Strokes first album sounded great for about one listen, but after that it just seemed  too slick.

• July 5, 2012 4:41 PM CDT
    • Some groups staying true to something just so they don't get mainstream sounding sometimes becomes stale....The Clash may have stayed true to punk while their music changed.  It never really got mainstream sounding but it got boring.  However, it never got stale.

• July 5, 2012 11:38 AM CDT
    • I think the word "rebellious" hits it right on the head.  Music that tries to push forward and stir things up.  That tries to rise above what has become ordinary and mainstream.  What was once rebellious becomes the normal.  It can still be good music, but no longer rebellious.  A lot of the pop-punk bands sound good and are exciting to hear, but are not really changing things.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

So how come we use the word "punk" instead of "rebellious" when that's what is implied?

• July 5, 2012 11:14 AM CDT
    • This IS funny. But seriously, it's what happens with an open user interface. And it should happen. And it will keep happening because if everybody exercised self control the world would be a really sterile and boring place.

• July 5, 2012 10:25 AM CDT
    • Hilarious !

• July 5, 2012 10:17 AM CDT
    • "How do I know if anyone cares about my band? A good rule of thumb is: they don't."

Hahahah!!

Ohh, it's painful cause it's true.

• July 5, 2012 10:11 AM CDT
    • That's gotta be me favorite Wikipedia article ever!!

• July 5, 2012 7:46 AM CDT
    • i laughed

Onstage, he plays a Bingleworth J-9000 7-string with a neo-chromium humbuckers.

• July 5, 2012 7:45 AM CDT
    • Find it pretty amusing and accurate in fact ! ;)

• July 5, 2012 6:58 AM CDT
    • Makes perfect sense to me. Not every band needs a Wikipedia entry, does it?

Also, don't confuse their definition of "garage band" with "garage rock band" or "garage punk band," or, in other words, bands that play this particular style of music (i.e., trashy rock'n'roll vs. metal/numetal, mainstream rock/alternative, hardcore punk, emo, goth, mall punk, jam band crap or any other kind of music a band could play). This article is simply talking about ANY band that's just starting out. If you take it in the context that the article was intended, it makes perfect sense that not every band forming in their parents' garages or basements needs to try and set up its own Wikipedia page.

• July 5, 2012 11:03 AM CDT
    • Good point!  That's also where all the 90's Ramones clone bands got it wrong too (well that, and everything else).

Rev. Norb said:

The shark-jump with regards to live performances definitely has to do with when Marky returned and changed his style. If you watch him play circa 1980, his usual beat sounds like this: BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a ((like the "End of the Century" version of "Rock & Roll High School)). Sometime in the late 80's ((i'm assuming it's when he re-replaced Elvis/Richie, but i can't be sure)), he just started going SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA a million miles an hour on the hi-hat and snare and it sounded like shit. Feel free to quote me on this.

The Pygmies said:

I think the first five albums are gold start to finish (six if you incude It's Alive). Every album after that still contains at least one or two classics that justified the band's existence.

What I can't stand to hear is any live recordings from the late 80's onward, when Joey started doing his Morrison-ish metal growl and the band played so fast there was no room for melody. 

• July 5, 2012 10:51 AM CDT
    • The shark-jump with regards to live performances definitely has to do with when Marky returned and changed his style. If you watch him play circa 1980, his usual beat sounds like this: BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a ((like the "End of the Century" version of "Rock & Roll High School)). Sometime in the late 80's ((i'm assuming it's when he re-replaced Elvis/Richie, but i can't be sure)), he just started going SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA a million miles an hour on the hi-hat and snare and it sounded like shit. Feel free to quote me on this.

The Pygmies said:

I think the first five albums are gold start to finish (six if you incude It's Alive). Every album after that still contains at least one or two classics that justified the band's existence.

What I can't stand to hear is any live recordings from the late 80's onward, when Joey started doing his Morrison-ish metal growl and the band played so fast there was no room for melody. 

• July 5, 2012 10:36 AM CDT
    • I think the first five albums are gold start to finish (six if you incude It's Alive). Every album after that still contains at least one or two classics that justified the band's existence.

• July 5, 2012 10:00 AM CDT
    • Honoured and thrilled to be part of this comp!!!

• July 4, 2012 10:52 PM CDT
    • Waveclipper,

Thanks for the insightful input!  Yeah you are right it does cost a lot to sound cheap.  I've been on a quest for the right fuzz.  I do love that mid-60's fuzz sound.  I checked out North Effects website.  I really like the way the Primitive and the Rite sound.  Either one gets me the sound I'm looking for, and it seems that will get me the sound I want at a price that works for me.  Due to budget constraints, I'll probably lean toward the Rite.   

Fuzztone vs Fuzzrite tone, what is your preference for trashy garage rock?

waveclipper said:

Costs a lot of money to sound this cheap!

• July 4, 2012 9:57 PM CDT
    • The International Noise Conspiracy - Armed Love

• July 4, 2012 8:24 PM CDT
    • Haven't tried. Best place to buy online?