Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 6, 2012 3:52 PM CDT
    • The Fall-Outs rule, noone out there like 'em. Plus, Dave Holmes is just a sweet guy.

Steve said:

And this SuperElectro 7"
      by The Fall-Outs
      Sleep b/w It's A Shame, Talk

• July 6, 2012 1:38 PM CDT
    • Totally agree with that estimation on the Brides 45. PC Action is my favorite Time Flys song too.

• July 6, 2012 1:33 PM CDT
    • Saints- One Way Street/Erotic Neurotic

Brides- Pushed Around/Get To You (possibly the best garage punk single of the 90's)

Teengenerate- Plays the Kids

Rip Offs- Make up your mind/Wild Jayne

Time Flys- Energy/PC Action

• July 6, 2012 12:28 PM CDT
    • It's less open ended for me because I mostly just listen to Garage, but I think it's pretty easy after spinning for a while to tell which ones are good and which ones are pure genius.

I have been waiting for this one to come for like two weeks now... why are they doing this to me?

• July 6, 2012 11:19 AM CDT

• Sean G. said:

After obsessing over the hilarity of this vid, I finally found the single at the bottom of a crate at the local record shop. Only 3 bucks!

I found a nice copy of this for about the same price several years ago.

Favorite 45s is such a board question. One day it could be Motorhead - The Bomber, Next day VOM - Live at Surf City, then maybe T-Rex 20th Century Boy, on to K&K -  Quick Joey Small, Bobby Peterson - Mamma Get Your Hammer, Fun Things ep, Small Faces - Lazy Sunday Afternoon, Hollies - Look Through Any Window, Mickey Lee Lane - Hey Sha-Lo-Ney, Lemon Pipers - Jelly Jungle (Of Orange Mamalade).... too many to name.

I definitely think 45s are the best format. And as G. Wood mentioned, I too, unfortunately am obsessed with obtaining picture sleeves, but I am more interested in the music.

Most recently I've been buying bubblegum/ psych, and glam. But that's not to say I over look metal or punk sections.

• July 6, 2012 3:46 PM CDT
    • Both, actually. This is just an example, I'm not out to crucify anyone. To me, all these years later their experimenting w/ different styles just seems cheesy, like something Paul Simon would do. 

Anyway, I'm middle-aged now, so I can be cranky now ;P  I still like experimental punk (Chrome, Desperate Bicycles, Urinals, etc.) but it's got to have energy if not aggresiveness, and hopefully both.

Incidentally, this is what I'm listening to now, this first 45 deserves hall-o-fame status:

The Dogs - Charlie Was a Good Boy "Total bad-assery from France, circa '78." For fans of the Dolls/Thunders/Devil Dogs-style of punk.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Are you refering to the production of LONDON CALLING or their actual performance?  Because I think that record showed growth while not getting boring.

With that current Ramones thread going somewhere else, I think the best thing to say here is that they could have easily become stale if their 10th album sounded exactly like the first in terms of style.  Maybe a better term would be stagnant to clarify my definition of stale.

dave said:

Ya think so, Rod? I recently listened to London Calling again after 20 years, and I've gotta say it sounds stale and affected, while their 1st LP still sounds diamond-sharp. 

The Ramones could still tinker around with slight differences, but it was still essentially "Da Ramones Sound"...

Maybe it depends on the band, but I find that at 48 I still like the "young, snotty, and pissed-off" records. 

Popularity rubs the edges off a band's sound. The Strokes first album sounded great for about one listen, but after that it just seemed  too slick.

• July 5, 2012 10:59 PM CDT
    • Are you refering to the production of LONDON CALLING or their actual performance?  Because I think that record showed growth while not getting boring.

With that current Ramones thread going somewhere else, I think the best thing to say here is that they could have easily become stale if their 10th album sounded exactly like the first in terms of style.  Maybe a better term would be stagnant to clarify my definition of stale.

dave said:

Ya think so, Rod? I recently listened to London Calling again after 20 years, and I've gotta say it sounds stale and affected, while their 1st LP still sounds diamond-sharp. 

The Ramones could still tinker around with slight differences, but it was still essentially "Da Ramones Sound"...

Maybe it depends on the band, but I find that at 48 I still like the "young, snotty, and pissed-off" records. 

Popularity rubs the edges off a band's sound. The Strokes first album sounded great for about one listen, but after that it just seemed  too slick.

• July 6, 2012 3:29 PM CDT
    • Show #381: "Bands & Artists Starting With E, Part 7"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "E". This is the seventh time I've drawn the letter "E", so I will start from where I left off on show #6 (which was with Excalibur). This will be the FINAL installment of the Letter E! So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "E" like: The Excellents, 2 different Excels, The Excelsior Spring, 2 bands called The Exception, The Exciters, The Excursion, 2 different Executioners, 2 different Executives, The Exkursions, Exmagma, 2 different Exotics, The Explosive, The Express, 2 different Expressions, 2 different Extremes, Exuma, 2 different Eyes, Eyes Of Blue, Denny Ezba's Gold, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• July 6, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
    • The compilation sounds really great...very good bands and a supercharged sound! ;-)

• July 6, 2012 11:27 AM CDT
    • Rock And Roll Dance Party 07/03/12

1. Black Time: Link Wray (Bancroft)
      2. Splash Four: Ma Solitude Et Moi (Yakisakana)
      3. Hank Haint: Don’t Talk To Me (Blackout)
      4. MFC Chicken: Wild Surf (Music For Chicken)
      5. Hi-Winders: Rockin’ With The Rhythm (…Are Rockin’ With The Rhythm)
      6. Curley Jim & the Billy Rocks: Rock And Roll Itch (Metro)
      7. Eliot Shavers & his Blazers: Scratch That Itch (King)
      8. Rusti Steel & the Star Tones: Oh What You Do To Me (Café A-La Rock)
      9. Shambles: Hello Baby (RCA Victor)
      10. Chuck Barr & the Playboys: Joe Botch (RPC)
      11. Morty Shann & the Morticians: Red Headed Woman (Norton)
      12. Teemates: Movin’ Out (Audio Fidelity)
      13. Hasil Adkins: Turn My Coat Tails Loose (White Light/White Meat)
      14. Mel Robbins: Save It (Argo)
      15. Cramps: I Was A Teenage Werewolf/Sunglasses After Dark (Memphis Posers)
      16. Chuck Howard: Out Of Gas (Do-Ra-Me)
      17. Long John Hunter: Ride With Me Baby (Ooh Wee Pretty Baby)
      18. Jim Fris & the Valiants: Serpents And Snakes (Allstar)
      19. Danny’s Reasons: Little Diane (IRC)
      20. Charlie & the Moonhearts: Runaway (Thunderbeast)
      21. Nightmare Boyzzz: Nuclear Summer (Happenin’)
      22. Bloodshot Bill: Big Ol’ Moon (The Out Of This World Sounds Of…)
      23. Alarm Clocks: Ramona (My Mind’s Eye)
      24. Golden Pelicans: Hard Head (Total Punk)
      25. White Cop: Blood Shirt (s/t)
      26. Destination Lonely: Kiss Or Kicks (Kiss Or Kicks)
      27. Spelling Mistakes: Hate Me Hate Me (Propeller)
      28. Tight Genes: Rats (Goodbye Boozy)
      29. Spits: Swharz Fahren (Erste Deutsche Original Aufnahme!)
      30. Lasters: The Lasters Lose The Power Of Speech (Futilitarian)
      31. Sleaze: Called You Once (Total Punk)
      32. Normals: Come On Over (So Bad, So Sad)
      33. Constant Mongrel: In The Night (Everything Goes Wrong)
      34. Morning Shakes: El Camino (Cacophony)
      35. Baddat For Trubbel: Vad Ska Jag Ta Mig Till (Vardight)
      36. Cobras: Instant Heartache (Big Beat)
      37. Little Caesars & the Conspirators: New Orleans (Studio City)
      38. Ty Segall Band: Slaughterhouse (Slaughterhouse)
      39. White Wires: It’s Been A While (WWIII)
      40. X-Discos:Pins And Needles (Episode Sounds)
      41. Features: I Wanna Be Your Man (Paradox)
      42. Midnite Snaxxx: You Kill Me (Goner)
      43. Drags: Allergic Reaction (Dragsploitation… Now!)
      44. City Sweathearts: Timeless (Red Lounge)
      45. M.O.T.O.: I Wanna Stick Myself (E Pluribus MOTO)
      46. Ruined Future: Bull’s Eye (RIP Society)
      47. Underbeats: Annie Do The Dog (Bangar)
      48. Little Bits: Girl Give Me Love (Tiger Eye)
      49. Fadewaways: She Is Frantic (Diggin’ Out)
      50. Transistors: Static Control (Shortwave)
      51. Timmy’s Organism: Cats On The Moon (Raw Sewage Roq)
      52. Flesh Lights: Flashback To The Majestic (Super Secret)
      53. Von Zippers: Stool Pigeon Stomp (Wow ‘em Down At Franzl’s)
      54. Rockin’ Ramrods: She Lied (Bon Bon)
      55. Mummies: (Doin’) The Kirk (Regal Select)
      56. Cozy: Cola Shock Kids (Hozac)
      57. feedtime: Garbage Scow (Today Is Friday)
      58. Front Page: Kick Them! (New Noise)
      59. Pagans: Six And Change (Neck)
      60. Dickies: She Loves Me Not (Dawn Of The Dickies)
      61. Young Identities: Mass Appeal (Savage Music)
      62. Gentleman Jesse: I’m Only Lonely (When I’m Around You) (Leaving Atlanta)
      63. Moralens Vaktare: Arbeb Moral (s/t)
      64. Nips: All The Time In The World (Soho)
      65. Rocks: Hanging On (no label)
      66. Spys: Machine Shop (Ugly Pop)
      67. The Cry!: I Think I’m In Love (Introducing: The Cty!)
      68. Black & Whites: (Oh) My Head (s/t)
      69. Exploding Hearts: Boulevard Trash (Guitar Romantic)
      70. Limit: You Won’t Have Me (s/t)
      71. Midnite Snaxxx: Going To The Zoooo (s/t)
      72. Armitage Shanks: Jimmy Pursey’s Bastard Son (Never Mind The Ballcocks)
      73. Squares: Brim Full Of Hate (Tribute To The Medway Scene)
      74. Wild Billy Childish & the MBE’s: Dole Drums (The Wolf Howard Theme) (Thatcher’s Children)

• July 6, 2012 10:36 AM CDT
    • By now you may/or may not have noticed, cared/or not cared that the Rock'n'Roll Suicide podcast has been on hiatus for a while now. For what it is worth, we've been knocking out this Rock And Roll Dance Party radio program for a few years now (since '94). After three hours a week blasting out tunes on the FM dial, the podcast just seemed like a knockoff of what we we're already doing. So, the Rock'n'Roll Suicide podcast falls by the wayside but, we're still spinning records and kicking ass.

In this thread we'll post our playlists and probably a link or something to be able to give the show a listen.

We're broadcasting on WUSB 90.1FM out of Stony Brook, New York or streaming at http://wusb.fm Tuesday 9pm - midnight if you'd care to check it out in real time.

and now, on with the show...

R. Fink

• July 6, 2012 10:42 AM CDT
    • Very funny indeed. That article took some serious effort and thought. I have admiration for the creator of this entry.  

• July 6, 2012 10:05 AM CDT

• My favorite part:

The cops come regularly during your practice sessions and ask you to shut up. While this may make it seem that people care about your garage band, and indeed they do, they are not caring in the right way.

• July 6, 2012 8:40 AM CDT
    • Oh, that is some goood satire. I love the entries at the very bottom in blue -- did you read those? Funny funny!

Gringo Starr said:

That's gotta be me favorite Wikipedia article ever!!

• July 5, 2012 10:11 PM CDT
    •  I HAVE'NT READ THEWHOLE THING , I CAUGHT THIS  AS I WAS GETTING READY TO TURN THE OLD IDIOT BOX OFF....But , it looks pretty funny. Someone went to a LOT of work to get their point across. Anyway , do that many Garage Bands  really think they belong on Wikipedia when they have following of , oh , let's be kind , less than 1000 people? There have got to be a number of Garage Bands , past and present , that are pretty big in our world(s) , but , they're not whining if they have'nt yet rated a mention in Wikipedia.

• July 5, 2012 9:27 PM CDT
    • that's awesome

• July 6, 2012 6:17 AM CDT
    • No problem! The 'Rite' sounds really good, can't remember exactly what trannies he uses but they are silicon anyway. I reckon fuzzrites seem to be somewhat easier to clone than maestros, they seem more tolerant of different transistor choices from what my ears tell me. The more commonly heard recorded version of the fuzzrite would be the silicon version anyway (as opposed to the earlier germanium versions). It's generally a more stable pedal and sounds really nasty and grindy with a fair amount of sustain. The earlier fuzzrites were germanium loaded (that Ventures sort of stuff) but they are more inconsistent from what I hear (although DAM apparently do a very good version but costs a lot of $$). I tend to mentally associate the silicon fuzzrite with later 60s more psychedelic sort of stuff...

My preference for trash garage has to be a Maestro for sure. They were easily the most commonly used fuzzbox at the start of the fuzz explosion, you'll hear it all over nuggets, back from the grave, quagmire, pebbles, texas flashbacks, teenage shutdown etc etc. Frank Zappa used one in his early stuff, Billy Gibbons, Hendrix apparently in his mid 60s gigging days (he used fuzzrites too), Seeds, Electric Prunes, 13th floor elevators - maestros were everywhere!! Problem is that (considering it was the first commercially produced circuit) it seems to be very difficult to replicate without using the original transistors. The 'primitive' has a little internal trimpot (that North Effects advised not to tinker with - ha!!) that helps to tune in the 'gating' effect that maestros have so it is capable of getting close to the feel of an original. But being honest I think the 'rite' sounds closer to an original silicon fuzzrite than the 'primitive' sounds to an original maestro.

Either choice is a good one though imo, you get a pedal which easily sounds like boutique boxes twice (or more!) the price, as long as you don't care about fancy paint jobs! The chap that runs North Effects is a really easy dude to deal with too, quick postage and professional attitude. Good luck and happy fuzzin'!

• July 6, 2012 5:48 AM CDT
    • i haven't tried them but i've seen them before and i'm curious as well. they look like bootleg MXR pedals as far as design, which would be real cool, but i dunno about like sound quality, durability etc...

• July 5, 2012 9:54 PM CDT
    •      I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN , BUT , I WAS ALWAYS GLAD TO PLUNK DOWN MY CHANGE TO GO SEE THE RAMONES IN THE LAST 12 YEARS OF THEIR EXISTENCE , BECAUSE , WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A PITIFUL FEW (CRAMPS , IGGY , MOTORHEAD , e.g.), THE COMPETITION WAS'NT SAYIN' NUTHIN FROM WHERE I STOOD. The only "Bad" show I ever saw 'em do was their last gig in Chicago ( Barring Lollapalooza.). But , the monitors were shot , and you could tell they could'nt hear each other, half the time. That , and people throwing piles of plastic cups at the band did'nt help. I don't care if it was the worst show of their career , which it was'nt , you respected The Ramones , or you exercised the right to take your lame ass out the exit doors.

• July 5, 2012 6:30 PM CDT
    • Damn, The Sonics are hard to beat. I'd probably second that. While it's not necessarily representative of the garage sound, Black Monk Time by the Monks is a straight up killer album. I Know You Fine, But How You Doin' by the Gories is also a personal favorite.