Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 10, 2012 10:29 AM CDT
    • If you are looking for fuzztonessoundalikes... go find the band the fuzztones ripped off 97.65% - top fuzz twin gits, organ whirling, tuff vocals, great lyrics, all black wearing, one glove toting geniuses just go to The Music Machine.

• April 10, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
    • Aren't garage punk and greatest album mutually exclusive terms?  On vinyl, going round at 45 rpm, on some obscure label, and lasting no longer than 2:20 - otherwise it doesn't count (he said controversially).

• April 9, 2012 4:33 PM CDT
    • the Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators, if you ask me for tonights fave

• April 10, 2012 7:44 AM CDT
    • I had a funny experience at lunch on Sat.  A work friend and I were two of 5 people sitting at the bar.  The bartender/waiter was playing hip hop and Latino music, I assumed on an ipod.  He was talking about dj'ing to one guy but I didn't really pay attention.   As we were leaving, I heard the customer ask if the dude liked the Misfits.  He said yeah, goes to change the music as we're walking out and I'm thinking "I know this song" and after a second, I realize it's Jeff the Brotherhood and went back in to ask him.  He high fived me and told me he was excited cuz they're playing soon. I had to one up him tho and say I've seen them 3 times already.  But it was surprising after what we'd been hearing for an hour.  People are out there.

• April 9, 2012 9:36 PM CDT
    • Kinda never.  It was easier when I was younger and in college where people often defined themselves by their musical tastes so it was a constant and accepted conversation.  Now I feel too old to let people know that I still collect records and go to shows.  Happily, my husband shares my musical interests.

• April 10, 2012 12:56 AM CDT
    • Kd Lang constant craving…. For years i thought it said "Can't stand gravy"

• April 9, 2012 10:05 PM CDT
    • SURE , THAT WAS A BIG DEAL "I THINK I'M IN LOVE...COS I CAN'T GET IT UP !"..... I saw Lava Sutra perform it , that way , one time.

zacharythax said:

Is anyone out there old enough to remember Eddie Money on early '80's top 40 FM singing:

"I think I'm in love / and my nuts are numb / I think I'm in love / 'cuz I can't get it up."?

• April 9, 2012 10:14 PM CDT
    • Good list . At first , I thought ,  maybe too many fast songs for a novice , but , then you said they were into.....well , that stuff. Don't forget "7 and 7 Is" by Love and "1523 Blair "by The Outcasts , if you want your friend to hear some intensity that makes an ass out of Hardcore....Don't get me wrong , I liked some HC , to a point , but , I don't think it has the staying power of 60's or 70's Punk.

• April 9, 2012 5:30 PM CDT
    • Nuggets / Pebbles comps just to start

• April 9, 2012 9:47 PM CDT
    • How about some groovy trashy lo-fi slimy Canadians:

• April 9, 2012 2:06 PM CDT
    • hands down, HOZAK Records is putting out tons and tons of the best new garage every month....the groovy tashy lo-fi slimy kind...not the comb your hair forward, poser kind..

http://hozacrecords.com/

I hear it all.  You cant go wrong w/ Hozak.

...and I'm sure everyone here has a working knowledge of Estrus Records by now.

• April 9, 2012 1:38 PM CDT
    • The Pebble's records never fail, Cherrystones is also good.

• April 9, 2012 12:07 PM CDT
    • Here are a couple newer bands that really take the lo-fi thing to new lows:

Black Time, Times New Viking

Other than that, has anyone mentioned the Mummies, Oblivians, Reatards, The Lamps?

The list goes on...

In The Red Records has several of these types of bands on their catalog. 

• April 9, 2012 5:35 PM CDT
    • Back From The Grave

Pebbles

Fuzz Flakes & Shakes

Teenage Shutdown

• April 9, 2012 5:26 PM CDT
    • Sonic's more fun fore me

• April 9, 2012 5:25 PM CDT
    • How many copys have you seen lately?? Thank's... I need it :)

• April 9, 2012 4:28 PM CDT
    • the Fuzztones!

• April 9, 2012 2:59 PM CDT
    • Wrekking Hours for April 9th, 2012!!

On todays show we're featuring a special guest from the Detroit Psychobilly Alliance. Be sure to tune in and find out about all the Psychobilly happenings coming up around Detroit!!

• April 9, 2012 2:51 PM CDT

• Ryan Hatt said:

But seriously, there's always Ken Burns...

Now that would be a perfect fit! A forgotten and ignored legacy of musical significance (like Jazz).  But I'm sure someone like Ken Burns may dismiss it as not having the drama, and profound significance on culture to warrant his expertise.

• April 9, 2012 2:41 PM CDT

• kopper said:

Well, to be done right, it would have to be enormously comprehensive. With thousands of garage bands sprouting up all over the world from '65 thru '67, it would be quite a task. The best way to go about it would be to do a series of documentaries and focus on regional scenes, such as Texas, the Pacific Northwest, Michigan, Australia, etc. Sort of like how the later volumes of the Pebbles comps were focused.

Agreed!  And a good angle for marketing the project would also be the legacy of popular Rock bands who's origins came from this important time of experimentation and creativity! For example The Spiders (who became Alice Cooper), Golliwogs (Credence Clearwater Revival) Terry Knight and the Pack (Grand Funk), The Heard (Bob Segar), Grim Reapers, Paegans (Cheap Trick) etc..

• April 9, 2012 1:36 PM CDT
    • Hmmmm.....I don't think you guys get it. Read back a couple of pages. @Triple Thick - Have a look at the events section of the Hideout. There you will find garagepunk sponsored bills put together by members in various cities for general promotion/good times.

• April 9, 2012 9:23 AM CDT
    • Kill,Baby...Kill! - Anniston, AL www.reverbnation.com/killbabykillal

Daikaiju - Huntsville, AL www.daikaiju.net

Necronomikids - Tuscaloosa, AL

Alder Kings - Chicago

Guantanamo Baywatch - Portland, OR

The Icepicks - Maine

Coffin Daggers - NY

El Fossil - Atlanta, GA

The Summer Creeps - Roswell, GA

Team Void - Dayton, OH

I could honestly keep going all day with this list. The genre is blowing up, nation wide.

• April 9, 2012 9:20 AM CDT
    • The Trip!  April 8th Show!  Listen here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120408-0030-t1333841400.mp3

Here's the setlist!

SANDY NELSON  AND THEN THERE WERE DRUMS 

13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS  SHE LIVES (IN A TIME OF HER OWN)
      THEE HEADCOATS  JUST LIKE A DOG 
      THE NEW BREED  THE WORDS RING BACK 
      PINK FLOYD  IBIZA BAR 
      LOS STRAIGHTJACKETS  TAILSPIN 
      MAN OR ASTROMAN! LIKE A GIANT MICROWAVE 
      LITTLE ANTHONY & THE IMPERIALS  SHIMMY SHIMMY KO KO BOP
      JAMES BROWN  THINK 
      EL VEZ  SAY IT LOUD (I'M BROWN AND I'M PROUD)
      THE IKETTES I'M BLUE (GONG GONG SONG)
      ANN-MARGRET  THIRTEEN MEN 
      THE GORE GORE GIRLS  I'M ALL GROWN UP 
      BOB PECK  SWEET 16 
      THE LEAGUE OF NOTIONS  THE PARK IN THE DARK 
      WEEN  SPRINGTIME 
      M. ASHRAF FEAT. NAHID AKHTAR  GOOD NEWS FOR YOU
      ELECTRIC PRUNES  AGNUS DEI 
      PATTI SMITH  EASTER 
      WALL OF VOODOO  RING OF FIRE 
      FRANCE GALL  LAISSE TOMBER LES FILLE 
      THE TEARJERKERS  HEAD OF THE CLASS CLOWNS