Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 3, 2012 8:37 PM CDT
    • :D -- on this we agree... "BtB" is soooo very fine. For those who don't possess a copy, here's the full tracklist:

1966 -- and they recorded "All Sold Out" :-; But really, that tracklist is so good.

Funny, the last Stones album I bought? "Some Girls". "Black and Blue"? not my fave, but it's in the collection. Bet it's the Billy Preston that gets you, right? M

John Battles said:

"Between The Buttons NEVER got it's just due. But , some people , myself included , rate it among their favorites. I have a shitload of Stones albums....My cut off point WAS "Some Girls" , until "A Bigger Bang" came out. Their first great album in nearly 30 years.

"Black and Blue" you need , if only for "Melody". The Stones only have about 2000 (man.) great tracks their "Fans " have never heard of....

melissa scott said:

*laugh* re Original Disco Man (oooh yeaaaah).

What is on the lp/tape/cd shelves here? Most by one group or artist? The Stones 'natch, esp. love Between the Buttons.

This would be followed by a nice pile of indie punk compilations that I can't seem to resist, Live at The Rat (RIP) being an all-time fave. :D

James Porter said:

John, as far as Original Disco Man (whicah I don't own, BTW)...

It may have been CHEAP, but most importantly it was JAMES BROWN, so you get a pass! Ha!

• April 3, 2012 6:13 PM CDT
    • "Between The Buttons NEVER got it's just due. But , some people , myself included , rate it among their favorites. I have a shitload of Stones albums....My cut off point WAS "Some Girls" , until "A Bigger Bang" came out. Their first great album in nearly 30 years.

"Black and Blue" you need , if only for "Melody". The Stones only have about 2000 (man.) great tracks their "Fans " have never heard of....

melissa scott said:

*laugh* re Original Disco Man (oooh yeaaaah).

What is on the lp/tape/cd shelves here? Most by one group or artist? The Stones 'natch, esp. love Between the Buttons.

This would be followed by a nice pile of indie punk compilations that I can't seem to resist, Live at The Rat (RIP) being an all-time fave. :D

James Porter said:

John, as far as Original Disco Man (whicah I don't own, BTW)...

It may have been CHEAP, but most importantly it was JAMES BROWN, so you get a pass! Ha!

• April 3, 2012 7:30 PM CDT
    • I saw them play in 1989 which was my first time.  I remember they did "Gloria" and they were proud to announce that they did "Twist and Shout" before the Beatles (which technically isn't true but they didn't know that;as far as they knew, Beatles' came out in '65) but then proceeded to play it like the Beatles version instead of the caveman style they did on their album.  Lynn Easton quit in early '67 and has never rejoined them.  Dick Peterson actually sang their last two or three singles.

John Battles said:

Oh , man. They did "Love Me Two Times" when I saw them , and that was '86  or '87. They DID have a keyboard , which IS part of their sound , but , no Lynn Easton, also a part of their sound. It was mainly "Big Chill" Oldies covers. Virtually no Frat Rock covers OR originals (Or just songs associated with them.). They knew what side their bread was buttered on - People who , unlike us , bought all their Wand LPs for two bits a throw. Or ,bought "Louie , Louie" to get "Haunted Castle". To their credit , they opened with "Lotta Lovin'" (Gene Vincent) , but it kinda went downhill from there....as you say , clean and soulless.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I don't even think they have a keyboard player anymore which was a part of their sound.  The one time I did like them had a bit of slop and they threw in Jolly Green Giant but that's the one time I ever heard it live.  They also did Dirty Robber by the Wailers and Justine even though it was Righteous Brothers style and did dn't have that twangy thing that The Mummies learned from more obscure versions of the song.  That was like 1996, I believe.  Since then it's gotten worse.  Clean and souless and a lot of covers that when they were originals, the Kingsmen were no longer a band (stuff like the Doors).

John Battles said:

When I saw The Kingsmen , their playing was SO good , that was part of the problem. No raunch , no slop. NOTHING FROM THEIR OWN BACK CATALOGUE , Barring "Money" and , of course , "Louie Louie". My friends and I almost did'nt stay to hear it.

• April 3, 2012 6:30 PM CDT
    • Oh , man. They did "Love Me Two Times" when I saw them , and that was '86  or '87. They DID have a keyboard , which IS part of their sound , but , no Lynn Easton, also a part of their sound. It was mainly "Big Chill" Oldies covers. Virtually no Frat Rock covers OR originals (Or just songs associated with them.). They knew what side their bread was buttered on - People who , unlike us , bought all their Wand LPs for two bits a throw. Or ,bought "Louie , Louie" to get "Haunted Castle". To their credit , they opened with "Lotta Lovin'" (Gene Vincent) , but it kinda went downhill from there....as you say , clean and soulless.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I don't even think they have a keyboard player anymore which was a part of their sound.  The one time I did like them had a bit of slop and they threw in Jolly Green Giant but that's the one time I ever heard it live.  They also did Dirty Robber by the Wailers and Justine even though it was Righteous Brothers style and did dn't have that twangy thing that The Mummies learned from more obscure versions of the song.  That was like 1996, I believe.  Since then it's gotten worse.  Clean and souless and a lot of covers that when they were originals, the Kingsmen were no longer a band (stuff like the Doors).

John Battles said:

When I saw The Kingsmen , their playing was SO good , that was part of the problem. No raunch , no slop. NOTHING FROM THEIR OWN BACK CATALOGUE , Barring "Money" and , of course , "Louie Louie". My friends and I almost did'nt stay to hear it.

• April 3, 2012 8:47 AM CDT
    • I was in the front row at The Sonics reunion at Cavestomp back in 2007? Such young lad I was, not even old enough to drink. Anyways, man they really got the crowd rolling. It was weird seeing them play with music sheets and all, but it was all still really good.  More recently I saw The Alarm Clocks, at the Norton Fest, had my doubts that they were going to be any good, man was I wrong. 

• April 2, 2012 10:27 PM CDT
    • I don't even think they have a keyboard player anymore which was a part of their sound.  The one time I did like them had a bit of slop and they threw in Jolly Green Giant but that's the one time I ever heard it live.  They also did Dirty Robber by the Wailers and Justine even though it was Righteous Brothers style and did dn't have that twangy thing that The Mummies learned from more obscure versions of the song.  That was like 1996, I believe.  Since then it's gotten worse.  Clean and souless and a lot of covers that when they were originals, the Kingsmen were no longer a band (stuff like the Doors).

John Battles said:

• April 2, 2012 8:21 PM CDT
    • When I saw The Kingsmen , their playing was SO good , that was part of the problem. No raunch , no slop. NOTHING FROM THEIR OWN BACK CATALOGUE , Barring "Money" and , of course , "Louie Louie". My friends and I almost did'nt stay to hear it.

• April 3, 2012 7:23 PM CDT
    • They got some MONKEY attitude !

Bobby said:

I used to think Deep Purples Space Truckin was Space Monkeys.

• April 3, 2012 6:06 PM CDT
    • That IS a great one.....With Jennifer Jason Leigh's old man doing the liner note honors.

hicksville hogwash said:

From scientific evidence of sleeve condition my favoured must have comp is -

Root 66 vol 1  - Minnesota Teen Bands (1964-1967) The Frozen Few

Side 1
      1 The High Spirits - I Believe
      2 The Boss Tweads - Going Away
      3 The Messengers - I've Seen You Around
      4 The Kan Dells - Cry Girl
      5 The DeVilles - You've Made Up My Mind
      6 The Fabulous Depressions - I Can't Tell You
      7 The Sting Rays - Shaggy Dog
      8 The Sting Rays - The Cat Came Back

Side 2
      1 The Shandells - Gorilla
      2 The Madhatters - Chicks Are For Kids
      3 The Rave-Ons - Baby Don't Love Me
      4 The Stompers - I Know
      5 The Stillroven - I'm Not Your Stepping Stone
      6 Kama-del-Sutra - She Taught Me Love
      7 The More-Tishans - (I've Got) Nowhere To Run
      8 Dale Gregory & The Shouters - Did Ya Need To Know
      ..and always had a big soft spot for Attack of the Jersey Teens.

• April 3, 2012 11:25 AM CDT
    • Holy Fuck Fuck!!!!!! Now that would be something!!!

Calling Tim Warren!!!!!!!!   Are you on this board?????

Just sent Tim a facebook message and will let you know if he gets back to me...

trashman said:

I read on a blog a rumor that a Back from the Grave volume 9 may be in the works

bftg9??

• April 3, 2012 7:38 AM CDT
    • From scientific evidence of sleeve condition my favoured must have comp is -

Root 66 vol 1  - Minnesota Teen Bands (1964-1967) The Frozen Few

Side 1
      1 The High Spirits - I Believe
      2 The Boss Tweads - Going Away
      3 The Messengers - I've Seen You Around
      4 The Kan Dells - Cry Girl
      5 The DeVilles - You've Made Up My Mind
      6 The Fabulous Depressions - I Can't Tell You
      7 The Sting Rays - Shaggy Dog
      8 The Sting Rays - The Cat Came Back

Side 2
      1 The Shandells - Gorilla
      2 The Madhatters - Chicks Are For Kids
      3 The Rave-Ons - Baby Don't Love Me
      4 The Stompers - I Know
      5 The Stillroven - I'm Not Your Stepping Stone
      6 Kama-del-Sutra - She Taught Me Love
      7 The More-Tishans - (I've Got) Nowhere To Run
      8 Dale Gregory & The Shouters - Did Ya Need To Know
      ..and always had a big soft spot for Attack of the Jersey Teens.

• April 3, 2012 5:46 PM CDT
    • Sydney trumps Adelaide! Yay to Coopers, SA

• April 3, 2012 4:48 PM CDT
    • I'd be happy to book an Australian one. If anyone is keen let me know.

• April 3, 2012 4:53 AM CDT
    • Hhahaha, VERY local power.

Mardy Pune said:

I have a hideout fest in my man-cave every time I download a new podcast...

• April 3, 2012 12:08 PM CDT
    • I have noticed, in the last decade or so, a newer generation of collectors coming up who were weaned on soul/funk and are going out of their way to acquire it on vinyl.

It does amaze me to see people in their twenties buying the same singles I bought for 50 cents at Wax Trax Records long ago. I almost want to say, damn, where were these "soul kids" 25 years ago when I needed them?

The main difference I see with the younger crew is that:
      (a) they all seem to think that reissues are tools of the devil (shoot, I usually buy originals and reissues about equally)

(b) they think $10 is cheap (well, these folks did grow up in the post-CD age, so I guess they have a different viewpoint of what a bargain is)

(c) they're a lot more tolerant of disco and "modern soul" than I am

• April 3, 2012 4:38 AM CDT
    • It's getting better. Over the years, there have been spikes where it was more easy to see someone with the same tastes as yourself in places. Now, thanks to this site it has happened on a regular basis. Shirts, patches, bags and things have been a good conversation pick up point though.

But in everyday situations, hmmmmm. I often meet people with fairly the same taste in music, these people tend to be from the US though and have moved to Europe, coming from local scenes of either the West or Eastcoast, so there is common ground musicwise. I guess there is some kind of magnetism happening??

Most people I get to know outside of that, are not that much into music. For them, all this stuff outside of the big radio is just that "un-easy NOISE" - and no, that's no compliment ;) So, even if you point out what all is going on beyond that, there is not much ground to break, cause music to them is one of those activities that is immature and not worth the time next to lookin up new car models or patios, or early on vacation planning - you know the important things in life.

It often goes that way: "Oh, so you listen to that Rock'n'Roll stuff?? Elvis and the likes?? Are you a Rockabilly whatever type?? You don't dress it! All that stuff is too old fashioned for me, hehe!" Exaggerated of course, but that's the sum of it. I don't wanna play smart ass with these types, so I just let it go. But there are people with which you can have good, interesting talks about this kind of music and it's never a show off show.

And yeah, if the tone is right, I try to get into a conversation in a record store about, um, that record, but like y'all said: I don't push it.

• April 2, 2012 7:48 PM CDT
    • Exactly...If I already have it , Hell , spread the joy. But , I don't want to be pushy and cost the store a sale....Sometimes , people take my word for it. It's not like we become friends as a result....But , like James , when I first moved to Chicago , I DID meet a lot of friends in record stores. James and I met at the late , lamented Dr. Wax Records , 25 years ago. We've been BFF (Best Fuckin' Friends.....and  that's no SHIT ! ) since. I'd have a lot of people stop and talk to me when I wore my Link Wray jacket , in Chicago ,  I was'nt wearing it to meet "Cool people' , but ,   that's how it turned out , tho' it  rarely raised  an eyebrow when I lived in Dallas.

James Porter said:

What I think is odd is when I see somebody eyeballing an album cover with that "should I?" look.

I might tell them, "hey, that's a good one; you should buy it." And they'll shoot back: "And how come you're not buying it?"

It never dawns on them that I might have that same record at home and might want to recommend it to others. Is that so wrong? It's like they're assuming that just because they've never heard of it, others haven't either.

Hell, if I didn't own it, I might be silently wishing they'd put the damn thing back, so I could grab it for myself!

John Battles said:

SOMETIMES , I'LL SEE SOMEONE CHECKING OUT A GREAT RECORD WITH A LOOK , LIKE "SHOULD I ?", AND I'LL TRY TO ENCOURAGE THEM. But , that rarely turns into a real conversation...

• April 3, 2012 6:32 AM CDT
    • Here you go! Los Mojos from Samara, Russia. This record was made couple months ago.

• April 3, 2012 5:55 AM CDT
    • leighton koizumi just posted this Gravedigger V vid on the GPH -- it's blang blang blang fun. The vid isn't great quality-wised, but it def. captured the spirit of the moment.

• April 3, 2012 4:47 AM CDT
    • Oh yeah! Didn't know that Ravens thing was reissued! Thanks as well for the background info on Deja Voodoo everyone - I've heard both bands briefly, so all that is pretty darn cool.

• April 3, 2012 1:58 AM CDT
    • Bassholes. Extremely bluesy, but a two-piece with a very, very firm grip of the punk rock stick.

• April 2, 2012 9:57 PM CDT
    • Thanks. Just sent them an email with dates we'll be around.

• April 2, 2012 8:05 PM CDT
    • ...I saw the connection , with SOK's "Oh , Yeah" , but I always thought of "Blockbuster" and "The Jean Jeanie" as sounding more like a Yardbirds kinda thing. Esp. the Guitar solo on 'Jean Jeanie" , which is why it's no surprise Jeff Beck made an "Unplanned" appearance , playing Guitar on the song at the last appearance by Bowie with The Spiders From Mars.

"Blockbuster" and "Jean Genie" were released , both on RCA , in the same week.Andy Scott later claimed The Sweet were not aware of the song's similarities until they were both in the can.

Bowie , for his part , put out "Pin-Ups" in the 'tween time , all MID - 60'S UK Rock covers , and rumor had it , he planned to do a "Sequel" , with "Nuggets " - era US Garage covers....

I did hear him say in a later interview "There were bands in America that just did'nt give a damn , like The Seeds and The 13th Floor Elevators and...Have you ever heard THE JEFFERSON HANDKERCHIEF?!".