Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 6, 2012 2:01 PM CDT
    • I'm always shocked at how few people notice good background music.  Maybe it's the DJ in me but I'm always listening, me and other DJ friends try to name that tune before the other person, etc.  Others act like it's white noise.  Oh well.

• April 6, 2012 1:58 PM CDT
    • Sometimes for fun we'll go to a semi-divey bar when its not too crowded and play $5 worth of whatever garage/punk/psych/etc we can find on the digital jukebox (its there, you just have to pay extra for it).  Usually there isn't much of a reaction unless the bartender thanks us for not playing Top 10 crap.  Once in a great while though, we wind up meeting someone with our taste and spend the next few hours happily trading stories and recommendations for movies, music, etc. I guess if it happened all the time, it wouldn't be that special.

• April 5, 2012 11:16 AM CDT
    • No man, it's true. Rod Stewart, Clapton, all these dusty old "classic" rockers. Remember, I'm a lot older than you, so I get approached a lot by fellow old farts.

And yes, I do love Tom T. I had the pleasure of performing for him in the early '80s here in Santa Fe. At that show Butch Hancock (The Flatlanders) joined me onstage for a duet on "America the Beautiful." True story!

G.G.Plant said:

I don't believe anyone actually asked you about the new Rod Stewart album.

and yeah we all like Tom T. Hall.

swt said:

Very rarely -- especially in the garage-punk realm. I remember running into an acquaintance in a parking lot wearing a Dead Moon T-shirt. I almost hugged him.

I am a hillbilly music nut and have a local radio show for that obsession, so it's a little easier to find common ground with folks with old country stars like Willie Nelson or Roger Miller. (Just don't ask me about virtually any country act played on commercial radio since about 1980.)

I do a weekly music column at my paper (the local daily). So people cone up to me all the time and say stuff like, "You're a music fan. What do you think of the new Rod Stewart album?" My first thought is usually "You don't actually read the words in my column do you?"

On the other hand, ever so often people come up and tell me I've turned them on to some good music with my column or radio shows. That's always nice.

But more often, I'm like Mark. When someone asks me what I've been listening to and I spout off names of bands I really like, even a lot of the country bands, people look at me like I'm nuts.

• April 5, 2012 6:47 AM CDT
    • and when you meet someone she/he's often in a band you listen to or heard of...

• April 5, 2012 5:24 AM CDT
    • Rarely...but I;d still consider garagepunk/garagerock/trash/sleaze/punkblues etc are all niche minority tastes - pound for pound you're gonna meet less people who share your tastes, but it's fucking awesome when you do :-)

• April 6, 2012 1:31 PM CDT
    • My brother is a huge Spirit fan and I inherited all of his vinyl when he went digital.  They quickly went into our Top 10 of groups with most records owned.  I'll have to actually take inventory to see who the Top 3 are, there are so many contenders.

Axel Björnsson said:

My personal record in records(lol) would be lp's from Spirit or 5 and next there is The Ventures or 4 records. 

• April 5, 2012 10:48 AM CDT
    • Billy Childish or The Fall. only because ther's an endless suply ;)

• April 6, 2012 11:46 AM CDT
    • If you haven't read it yet, try your local library.  We enjoyed it, but not enough to add to the permanent collection.  Still, it is amazing what your library can get on interlibrary loan for free.

joey fuckup said:

Thanks for your recommendation on this. I've literally picked this book up twice at my Barnes & Noble here and debated on whether or not I should get it. I did read a review on it in either Shindig! or Ugly Things (can't remember), and it was mentioned that there was a large focus on Levy. The impression I got, though, was that it seemed to be more about him than Tommy James himself. Even though Levy played a huge role in James' career, what I'd like to know is do you feel like you get any insight into Tommy at all? I do like his music, especially his non-hits that oldies stations never played. (Do real oldies stations exist anymore?) I don't doubt this is a good read, but it may be one I'll be waiting to see if it hits the discount table.

• April 6, 2012 11:39 AM CDT
    • We've been to many Cavestomps and seen most of the bands already mentioned but the one that sticks most in my mind was the Monks.  Not only was the show fabulous, but they (and their wives) were great fun to hang with at the bar.  Glad part of it was captured in the doc "Monks: The Transatlantic Feedback".

• April 6, 2012 2:19 AM CDT
    • I've heard almost nothing but rabid praise about The Sonics. And , The Alarm Clocks blew my head off when I saw them at The Ponderosa Stomp....They had more Garage bands that year - Kenny and The Kasuals , Zakary Thaks , Wailers , Bad Roads and Alarm Clocks....Only Bad Roads failed , because they were too slick , and did lame covers like "Time Won't Let Me". They were'nt awful , they just did'nt GIT IT !!!

Jon said:

I was in the front row at The Sonics reunion at Cavestomp back in 2007? Such young lad I was, not even old enough to drink. Anyways, man they really got the crowd rolling. It was weird seeing them play with music sheets and all, but it was all still really good.  More recently I saw The Alarm Clocks, at the Norton Fest, had my doubts that they were going to be any good, man was I wrong. 

• April 6, 2012 2:15 AM CDT
    • I BELIEVE THAT...Dickie Peterson (No relation to The Late Dickie Peterson of Blue Cheer.)Is'nt , or was'nt a bad singer....I have that weird "Bo Diddley Bach " 45 , which must have been one of their last...  When the reformed Kingsmen did that "Louie Louie" video for MTV , don't take my word for it , but , I could swear Lynn Easton was singing , and Don Galucci playing keyboards...It was a one - off thing , but , since The Kingsmen were still active , I assumed Lynn was back with the band....While it's true , Jack Ely was the original singer, I think of Easton as their frontman....He obtained the rights to the name by being the only member , of age, to sign the necessary papers. That's a very , very old and cheap trick.

I saw the band on an Oldies special. I think it was just Dickie and Mike Mitchell , original Guitarist. I would'nt care , if they got the sound and songs right !

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I saw them play in 1989 which was my first time.  I remember they did "Gloria" and they were proud to announce that they did "Twist and Shout" before the Beatles (which technically isn't true but they didn't know that;as far as they knew, Beatles' came out in '65) but then proceeded to play it like the Beatles version instead of the caveman style they did on their album.  Lynn Easton quit in early '67 and has never rejoined them.  Dick Peterson actually sang their last two or three singles.

John Battles said:

Oh , man. They did "Love Me Two Times" when I saw them , and that was '86  or '87. They DID have a keyboard , which IS part of their sound , but , no Lynn Easton, also a part of their sound. It was mainly "Big Chill" Oldies covers. Virtually no Frat Rock covers OR originals (Or just songs associated with them.). They knew what side their bread was buttered on - People who , unlike us , bought all their Wand LPs for two bits a throw. Or ,bought "Louie , Louie" to get "Haunted Castle". To their credit , they opened with "Lotta Lovin'" (Gene Vincent) , but it kinda went downhill from there....as you say , clean and soulless.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I don't even think they have a keyboard player anymore which was a part of their sound.  The one time I did like them had a bit of slop and they threw in Jolly Green Giant but that's the one time I ever heard it live.  They also did Dirty Robber by the Wailers and Justine even though it was Righteous Brothers style and did dn't have that twangy thing that The Mummies learned from more obscure versions of the song.  That was like 1996, I believe.  Since then it's gotten worse.  Clean and souless and a lot of covers that when they were originals, the Kingsmen were no longer a band (stuff like the Doors).

John Battles said:

When I saw The Kingsmen , their playing was SO good , that was part of the problem. No raunch , no slop. NOTHING FROM THEIR OWN BACK CATALOGUE , Barring "Money" and , of course , "Louie Louie". My friends and I almost did'nt stay to hear it.

• April 6, 2012 11:07 AM CDT
    • Hey Dave

I actually recorded the Raised By Weeds session myself at CJAM in January.  They're a newer garage band from Windsor.  If you'd like some tracks let me know.

I only have The Saints on CD, wish I had the vinyl!

• April 6, 2012 8:36 AM CDT
    • That Rezillos LP has been a fave of mine since first getting it about #% years ago....lol...powerpop/garage/punk/60's guitar instros, it's all on one LP!!!

And the bass on One Way Street is just devastating!!! Another fave LP that i picked up #% years ago....lol

How do i get a copy of that Raised By Weeds session???

• April 5, 2012 1:41 PM CDT
    • This week's show featured music from The Saints, Wire, Television, Weirdonia, Ghost Bikini, The Satelliters, Garage Sale and more!

Download the podcast here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120403-1030-t1333445400.mp3

Check out the blog post here on Seven Story Redhead (Calgary Garage Rock): http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/04/punk-mod-rockers-seven-story-redhead.html?spref=fb

This Week's Play List:

1.  999 – Quite Disappointing

2.  Weirdonia – Masked Boy

3.  Satelliters – Get Outta Here

4.  Garage Sale – Ain’t So Groovy

5.  Ghost Bikini – Spooks

6.  Long Distance Runners – Election Day

7.  Yukon Blonde – My Girl

8.  Learning – There Is A limit

9.  Ramblin’ Ambassadors – Pine Beetle Express

10. Mind Spiders – Wait For Us

11. ELK – Shaking Hands

12. Raised By Weeds – Money For The Grave (CJAM Session Jan 24, 2012)

13. Ex-Girlfriends Club – The Witch

14. The Wipers – Wait A Minute

15. Mudhoney – Good Enough

16. C’Mon – Easier Said Than Done

17. Seven Story Redhead - Punk Mod Rockers

18. Malibu Kens – Crude City

19. Wire – Moreover

20. Television – Prove It

21. The Rezillos - I Can't Stand My Baby

22. The Saints - One Way Street

• April 6, 2012 11:06 AM CDT
    • these are actually my favs:

• April 6, 2012 3:57 AM CDT
    • I am currently grooving to "I'm in love with the headcoat girl" by The Perverts - a mighty fine chunk of sonic goodness

• April 6, 2012 2:04 AM CDT
    • "7 AND 7 Is" must be two minutes long.

"It Should Be You" by The Rolling Stones, their first attempt at a commercial recording , or one of the first. They discarded it for being "Too Poppy" , but a lot of their discarded Pop songs were great ! Also , the existing version cuts off during the guitar solo. So , it's an unfinished song. Pity.

• April 6, 2012 10:40 AM CDT
    • Hey dudes and dudettes,

If your looking for new tunes to check out, check out my radio stream Scuzz Rock Radio. It's updated with 20 new tracks every week. If you dig it, feel free to click "Like". ALso, if you want to submit any music, feel free to message me with a link to your tune, and album art. ENJOY!

STATION:

http://www.mediazoic.com/creatures/jambone-scuzz

SCUZZ ROCK PLAYLIST APRIL 5th

1. Spaceshits – I’m In Love
      2. TNG – That’s Love
      3. Black Lips – Sea of Blasphemy
      4. Nick Curran and the Lowlifes – Kill My Baby
      5. Pack A.D. – Haunt You
      6. Bad Bad Bad – Look What We’ve Become
      7. Skullians – Doomsville
      8. ARSON – Pretty Girls
      9. The Mummies – Stronger Than Dirt
      10. Jim Jones Revue – Hey Hey Hey Hey
      11. JEFF the Brotherhood – U Got the Look
      12. Jay Reatard – See You Standing There
      13. DGB – Perfect Crime
      14. Wavves – King of the Beach
      15. Fucked Up – Serve Me Right
      16. Misfits – Cough/Cool (7” Version)
      17. DFA 1979 – Romantic Rights
      18. Gogol Bordello – Wonderlust King
      19. Babyshambles – Fuck Forever
      20. Naked Raygun – Surf Combat

• April 6, 2012 8:41 AM CDT
    • Playlist Apr 5/2012

This is the first show in ages where we haven't had a special guest or a special topic on Radio WW. Since it's vinyl month at CHRW, this show will feature a lot of cool records.

1. Link Wray...Batman Theme..from The Early Recordings on Ace Records. Mainly early 60's versions of the 'hits' and a few real gems on this one.

2. The Diodes...Catwalker...from the Action/Reaction CD on Bongobeat Records.

3. Teenanger...Cops...from their latest LP Frights on Telephone Explosion Records. Teenanger were in town a coupla weeks back and put on an amazing show!

4. Eliza And The Strange...Lady Of The Night...from their brand new LP. From Halifax and they were in town last week and put on a great show!

5. The Movements...Being...from a 10" they just released.

6. Bloodshot Bill...Zoola Zookie...from a 7" and BB and his gal Alex welcomed an addition to their family this week.

7. Bloodshot Bill...I Want You...from the Dig It Up LP from 2005.

8. Gene Maltais with The Flat Duo Jets...Voodoo Woman...featuring our pal Dex Romweber. Played this as i watched a movie called 'It Might Get Loud' about 3 guitar players, Jack White, Jimmy Page and the dumbfuck from U2. Jack White sites Dex Romweber and Flat Duo Jets as a huge influence and played some of his fave blues records. Jimmy Page paid homage to Link Wray and explained how Link's tone got him so into guitars. Hence we played some Link and Dex Romweber on this show...but no U2, never on this show.

Below....Dex Romweber Duo at Call The Office, London Ontario...

9. Phil Harris...Look Out Stranger I'm A Texas Ranger...on RCA blue center for Grandpa who was celebrating his birthday.

10. The Kinks...Till The End Of The Day...from the double Greatest Hits LP.

11. Link Wray....Rumble....Link played Call The Office 9/17/99 and my ears rang for days after that one as Link was so loud. Probably the only time Link set foot in London.

12. Light Bulb Alley...Long Time Coming...from The Sound Of Things CD. They will be in town on Apr 21st at Brennan's Beer Bistro along with....

13. The Reply...Memphis Train....brand new demo. These guys playing live, are like going to see Spencer Davis Group live in 1966!!

14. Hopelessly Obscure...She's My Best Bette...from the Boston area compilation Nobody Gets On The Guest List from 1984. Vocalist/guitarist Kenne Highland was celebrating a birthday this week so you get a set of some of his music. And thanx to Mel Scott from Adelaide for encouraging me and playing on one of these tracks.

15. Afrika Korps...Jailbait Janet...from the Kenne Highland best of LP on Stanton Park Records called, He's 5 Beers Ahead Of His Time. This song was released in 1977 on the Afrika Korps record and Kenne was one of the first punks in North America. Check out Gulcher Records for re-issues of some of that early punk material.

16. Hopelessy Obscure...Everything She Says Is Cryptic...from the self titled 12" on Majestic Records from 1984. We got to see The Hopelessly Obscure at the Rat in Boston around this time, and they were insane!! Opened for Plan 9 and they were obviously the biggest fans of Plan 9 at the show!

17. Jim Ashby...Speed City....best single to ever come out of sleepy London Ontario.

18. Tuerto Loco...Nancy Sinatra....recorded live on Radio WW 5/12/11. Another crazy local combo who recently packed it in.

19. Orie Hitt Machine....Slaving Meat Wheel....some more crazy local recordings!

20. The Lyres...How You Gonna Know?...from their 2nd LP and they are coming to Hamilton, This Ain't Hollywood on Sat June 3rd.

21. King Khan And BBQ...Pretty Plaid Skirt...from the double LP on In The Red. BBQ (Mark Sultan) was in town at Call The Office that night.

22. BBQ...Year Old Wine...from the Tie Your Noose CD on Bomp Records.

23. Radio 4...Is God A Man?....from the Chris Richards sessions, probably 81 or 82. Local combo who evolved into Sheep Look Up and should have made it.

24. The Bad Bad Bad...Don't Push Me...from their CD. We had this duo on last week's show and got to see them later that night  playing live. Total insanity when these guys play live and  you gotta catch them if they hit your town. From Halifax.

25. Lost Patrol...Commanche...from their only LP. Windsor combo who used to play London a fair bit in the late 80's and they will be celebrating a reunion and 25th anniversary in hometown Windsor later this month.

26. Living Deadbeats...Control Freak...from their soon to be released 12"...last week we had the world premier of their latest recordings. Vancouver garagepunk combo who are heading this way come summer.

27. Rolling Stones...Don't You Lie To Me...from the Metamorphosis LP.

Apr 21st is our big show at Brennan's Beer Bistro....The Reply (Toronto), Light Bulb Alley (Montreal), Weirdonia (Windsor) and The noble Savages (Hamilton). 9:30 start.

Also Apr 21st is Record Store Day, Weirdonia will be playing at Grooves Records around 4PM that day...and earlier in the day at Dr Disc in Windsor Ontario...

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• April 6, 2012 3:45 AM CDT
    • We all have stories.  Some are quite unbelievable. The reason why he's not in the states anymore is because there's no-one left here that he can scam. He's run out of victims.(& by that I don't mean just band mates). Mostly it's women. He's always managed to attach himself to some impressionable girl on the scene that he ends up moving in with and living off of. Then he takes off on the road & cheats on the poor girl he left home paying the bills.

Hafensabine♥ said:

uh, that poster is scary, just like rudi... have seen them playing many times and they used to be good when they were (or let's better say: when rudi was) in a good mood, but listening to narcissistic statements like that in the video made them so unappeling and it was awful to see that horny old man loving himself way to much.

There were many bands that brought Garage Rock to Europe, first of all the Miracle Workers in my case, but of course the Fuzztones have some great albums. Of course Jordan Tarlow is a great musician, too! The best show I have ever seen with the Fuzztones was the last tour with Debonair - they did hardly say a word during the whole show, it was pretty psychedelic and everyone was in a good mood.

I'm pretty sure that Debonair could tell a story about Rudi and his behaviour and why he lives in Berlin now and not in the States anymore, but that's another story...  ;)

käthe

• April 6, 2012 3:33 AM CDT
    • Wow, that's pretty creepy. It's gonna give me nightmares! And he's putting out our In Heat demo's as an album now??? LOL!!! Can't he do anything new??? It's so weird. He's still mining the past & exploiting us for not just our talent, but our images. I can't wait to show this to Jordan & Gabe. Weird.

Gringo Starr said:

@John - Have you seen the new Fuzztones tour poster? It's bizarre! A graphic of Rudi as a Medusa with every member of the Fuzztones throughout the years in his snake-like hair! Check it out:

• April 6, 2012 3:27 AM CDT
    • Btw, that's not even a real Fender Tele. It's a Japanese Tokai copy & as for the girl...  I know the story, he hit on every girl I ever brought around. It was weird, like he was in competition with me. It created a lot of bad blood which eventually killed the band. That's why he can't keep anyone in his band & has gone through like 30 band members.

Barry Stark said:

John..I saw you in the Fu**tones in Glasgow many moons ago...good rockin' gig that night. Played with the 'tones in 91 in Edinburgh at the venue - by this time Chris Harlock was on bass and Phil Arriagada on guitar. 'Twas a great gig, but my memories are kind of spoiled by the fact that Mr P kept trying to trade his pussy paisley tele (or strat) for my '63 English baby blue Phantom (rarer than rocking horse shit BTW, 'tho I didn't know it at the time) and he kept hitting on my girl...so yeah, he's a big headed c**t

Baz

• April 6, 2012 2:49 AM CDT
    • On my new Big Enchilada podcast I dedicate a whole set to Saustex artists. Also play a couple from Pariah Records, a European company I just reently became familiar with.

I'll second Voodoo Rhythm, Norton, Crypt, In the Red, Soundflat etc.

For "underground country" stuff I still love Bloodshot, as well as newer labels Farmageddon (they had a joint party with Saustex during SXSW last month but I missed it) and Hillgrass Bluebilly.

For old roots music there's Arhoolie, Yazoo, Old Hat and Dust to Digital. And I love the box set compilations from Proper Records.

• April 5, 2012 10:09 AM CDT
    • Our Bass player is the Director of the National Electronics Museum in Linthicum Maryland. The Museum has all sorts of cool stuff ranging from satellites, microwave ovens to aircraft radar and old time-y recording devices. In the spirit of fun and the discussion of the T560 vinyl recorder - I'm gonna see if we can borrow one of their old Thomas-Edison wax tube recorders to cut a few of our  bands tunes on. (We rehearse at the museum anyway) It might sound like reheated horse shit, but who cares? It might sound ultra cool. Besides, DYI isn't just all about saving money and slick production. Is it? Where's the fun in that. Some of the coolest stuff is cool BECAUSE of the flaws or low tech production. The same tunes might have sounded dull and lifeless produced in studio on slick equipment. I guess it depends on why you DYI. ~~~ All props to United Record Pressing though! They did a fantastic job with our EP. 

• April 5, 2012 4:26 AM CDT
    • I'm sure you are 100% correct, my only issue is with 'cut back on beer and weed for a month and you'll have enough' Dunno how many are in your band, or indeed how much money you have, but I can guarantee that my twosome would NOT have enough in one month hahaha - don't even smoke weed either :-D

Count Brockula said:

These things are just awful. They make the shittiest, worse sounding records. You're essentially making a digital record. Even from a high quality source, they sound like complete ass. There's a company here in Canada that are calling themselves a pressing plant that uses these things and are charging almost the same price as a real pressing plant. We're doing 500 7" 45s and it's less than a grand! Cut back on the beer and the weed for a month and you'll have enough to make a real record! There's a reason records are made with laquers and stampers - they sound good! These records are just abysmal. Get your records done right! I dread the day I buy a record from one of these turd squeezers.