Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 15, 2012 12:31 PM CDT
    • Dave: It was a rockin' show here in London On too!!  Rudi hooked up with a real young girl at the show here, Jailbait by Andre Williams springs to mind!!

dave machine said:

Yeah, have to agree with whatwave dave, I saw the fuzztones in Waterloo On around the same time at the City Hotel, and it was a rockin' show. I have the album, Live in Europe on  Right Side Records and Fringe, and  I still like it. Don't be ashamed John, some of us don't give a shit about the poliitics, we just remember a good time and still rock out to your tunes. I do remember someone in the "scene" of the time complaining about the singer coming on to their girlfriend. So he's a womanizer, no shortage of them in the world. Act accordingly.

whatwave dave said:

Sorry John, couldn't resist, but here's a picture of John C as a Fuzztone in London Ontario Canada 4/5/87 in the Fuzztone uniform!!  And it was a great show that night too!!

• April 14, 2012 4:02 AM CDT
    • Yeah, have to agree with whatwave dave, I saw the fuzztones in Waterloo On around the same time at the City Hotel, and it was a rockin' show. I have the album, Live in Europe on  Right Side Records and Fringe, and  I still like it. Don't be ashamed John, some of us don't give a shit about the poliitics, we just remember a good time and still rock out to your tunes. I do remember someone in the "scene" of the time complaining about the singer coming on to their girlfriend. So he's a womanizer, no shortage of them in the world. Act accordingly.

whatwave dave said:

Sorry John, couldn't resist, but here's a picture of John C as a Fuzztone in London Ontario Canada 4/5/87 in the Fuzztone uniform!!  And it was a great show that night too!!

• April 15, 2012 3:55 AM CDT
    • Don't go getting so hung up on the obscurities that you forget the hitmakers. If you're going to do a documentary on the genre, the Gentrys and the Castaways are just as important as Ned Nobody & the Never Heard Of. Maybe more, since they were more visible (and audible).

kopper said:

Well, to be done right, it would have to be enormously comprehensive. With thousands of garage bands sprouting up all over the world from '65 thru '67, it would be quite a task. The best way to go about it would be to do a series of documentaries and focus on regional scenes, such as Texas, the Pacific Northwest, Michigan, Australia, etc. Sort of like how the later volumes of the Pebbles comps were focused.

• April 14, 2012 4:51 PM CDT
    • CHARLIE DON'T SURF!

• April 14, 2012 3:57 PM CDT
    • John- That's true, I think most of us want to know that we're fighting the good fight, and you can't mass-market cool (not to toot our horns, ahem ;) There are still people out there who are shocked by the ideas contained in punk songs.

• April 14, 2012 3:08 PM CDT
    • HE WAS RIGHT , OF COURSE , BUT PEOPLE THINK ROCK'N'ROLL HAS BEEN GENTRIFIED....

ONLY THE CRAPPY , STREAMLINED STUFF HAS BEEN.....LIFE HAS A WAY OF REMINDING US THAT ROCK'N'ROLL IS STILL OUTSIDER MUSIC , AND , I THINK MOST OF US PREFER IT THAT WAY.....

• April 14, 2012 3:19 PM CDT
    • dID'NT sPLODGENESS aBOUNDS ALSO DO THE "tWO pINTS AND A pACKET OF cRISPS" or whatever , song , too? ....It seems I saw different versions on TV and in the movies in the mid - to late 80's. I remember being surprised to see Invisible Sex , English Beat , Splodgeness Abounds ,  and Chelsea when I saw it on the big screen....BUT , i THINK THEY SHOWED IT IN IT'S ENTIRETY AROUND THE SAME TIME , ON CABLE.......I only taped a few bands , at the time...You've got to remember, blank video tapes were at least about $6 in '86 ,when I first started using a VCR in earnest..

• April 14, 2012 3:13 PM CDT
    • HERE ON MY BUS , i'M NOT SAFE HERE AT ALL...MY  TIRE GOT STUCK IN A MANHOLE, "THANK YOU , NORTON " , THAT'S ALL.....

Jeff of the Future said:

Gary Numan is on it.

• April 14, 2012 3:04 PM CDT
    • i'm I'm I'm I'M -A THE CHEF OF THE FUTURE !

• April 14, 2012 3:01 PM CDT
    • There is'nt , but for the same reason some people say "Elvis Presley or Elvis Costello?" , some folks feel a need to make that distinction.....I don't LOATHE Bocephus , but, he does'nt do anything for me , either...."Hank III" , I SAW ONCE , EXPECTING A GREAT COUNTRY SHOW , BASED ON GLOWING REVIEWS (THAT IS , WHEN HE WAS'NT DOING AN AXL ROSE, and splitting after 10 minutes .)....If he wanted to do some Punk Rock , too , that was all right by me... Instead , he did this HORRIBLE  Sub - Rage Against The Machine/Ministry (Minus the drum machines, at least.) set that  never waivered in it's suckiness , with genius lyrics like "If you don't like our Hillbilly Punk Rock.....FUCK YOU !!!". THE GUYS IN HIS BAND WERE VERY NICE . iT JUST WAS'NT COUNTRY or Punk , Nor anything I needed to hear. I've no doubt he does good shows when he wants to , but that put me off , pretty much for good....

• April 14, 2012 12:57 PM CDT
    • I'm probably more forgiving towards Hank Jr. than most people (and I'm still on the fence about Hank III), but even so...there is no need to put the word "Senior" in front of Hank Williams' name.

John Battles said:

I used to meet people in my own neighborhood with similar tastes.....But , we had a great record  store , which helped.Now , there's no small business , because the University (Fuck you , Loyola.) has taken over everything , no sense of community. It's all college students. I don't begrudge them , but , it's a REALLY square environment. Even Goths or Hot Topic Punks ARE A RARITY .....a FEW YEARS BACK , THO' , I was making some flyers , at a Kinko's driven out by Loyola , TWICE , when a young guy asked me if I knew about THE (fIRST) Nuggets box set. He asked if I thoughthe should buy it.....I said , yes , because it took years for me to find those songs , and now you and I can have them all, with GOOD sound.......I told him , he's lucky to be around now , when there's so many great re-issues . Then he asked me if I liked Hank Williams , Sr.    I told him ,there's only ONE Hank Williams.

• April 14, 2012 12:40 AM CDT
    •  I used to meet people in my own neighborhood with similar tastes.....But , we had a great record  store , which helped.Now , there's no small business , because the University (Fuck you , Loyola.) has taken over everything , no sense of community. It's all college students. I don't begrudge them , but , it's a REALLY square environment. Even Goths or Hot Topic Punks ARE A RARITY .....a FEW YEARS BACK , THO' , I was making some flyers , at a Kinko's driven out by Loyola , TWICE , when a young guy asked me if I knew about THE (fIRST) Nuggets box set. He asked if I thoughthe should buy it.....I said , yes , because it took years for me to find those songs , and now you and I can have them all, with GOOD sound.......I told him , he's lucky to be around now , when there's so many great re-issues . Then he asked me if I liked Hank Williams , Sr.    I told him ,there's only ONE Hank Williams.

• April 14, 2012 11:45 AM CDT
    • We were also asked to come up with a garage primer, way before the Nuggets box sets were available (and it was on cassette because burning CDs was not yet an option).  Songs we included that haven't been mentioned yet..

Ain't No Friend of Mine - Swamp Rats

Try It - Standells

Shake - Shadows of Knight

Milkcow Blues - Chocolate Watchband

What A Way to Die - Pleasure Seekers

You Burn Me Up and Down - We the People

Thoughts of a Madman - Nomads

Save My Soul - Wimple Winch

Wild Man - Tamrons

Action Woman - Litter

I Hate You - Monks

Tienes Algun Dinero - Shakers

My Iconoclastic Life - Beech-Nuts

As easy as its become to pull these sorts of lists together and create a playlist on an iPod, I kinda miss the days of pulling out the vinyl, cueing up the track and hitting "record" on the tape deck and trying to figure out how to get maximum use of a side without cutting off a song. 

• April 14, 2012 10:59 AM CDT
    • Well, if we're talking about single femme bands, Australia's OWN sex dolls can't be beat for TALENT in garage music:):):)!!

• April 14, 2012 10:34 AM CDT
    • I agree :):)

Ido GalOn said:

Demolition Dollrods 

on of the best!

• April 13, 2012 2:22 PM CDT
    • Demolition Dollrods 

on of the best!

• April 14, 2012 8:29 AM CDT
    • I hear you John, The $20 Hullabaloos 45 was musically disappointing, {I don't mind their Buddy Holly type stuff} but to find it in WV was. well, enough shock for me to splash out.

I feel sorry for my 2 year boy who now is my hunting companion on our day trips out of this  hicksville holler to the big ...lol city.  I fear for his future.  " Dadee, wecords, dance" and you are right, perseverance will get you something eventually.  Round here it is bluegrass/country gospel that is the main eyeball fodder.  Occasionally, I am so desperate for a vinyl fix that some religious atonal tripe comes home with this atheist, my wife's' eyes roll, "honey, I only spent 3 dollars on all these records and this one is worth 50 bucks.." "but you never sell them" " hummm, actually those records have payed rent in hard times"

Ana sorry for hijacking your topic xx

John Battles said:

That's funny ,now I have 6 bucks.....I don't believe in spending too much, Thebest stuff I've found was a dollar or less,.....BUT , that's because I look and look and look until Lester Young , Dinah Shore and Barbara Streisand are rolling around in my brain......A lot of people can't handle it , they jump ship. Amateurs, Good on youwit those finds.

• April 14, 2012 12:45 AM CDT
    • That's funny ,now I have 6 bucks.....I don't believe in spending too much, Thebest stuff I've found was a dollar or less,.....BUT , that's because I look and look and look until Lester Young , Dinah Shore and Barbara Streisand are rolling around in my brain......A lot of people can't handle it , they jump ship. Amateurs, Good on youwit those finds.

hicksville hogwash said:

John, me too rarely spend 1 buck on a 45 these days.  But today 20 of my $33 bucks was spent on The Hullabaloos "i won't turn away now" picture sleeve, knocked the antique lady down from 35.  Also got a bunch of small label releases including a pretty cool lo-fi primitive "garage?" 45 by a band called The Townsmen You left Me Crying/Friends on Albun.  I can find no mention anywhere on the net about it... I love it and hate it when that happens.  Another unknown 3rd rate garage beat found.

Also cool doo-wop Arthur Butler -Lock Stock and Barrel (one went for 80)

and this soulster... way cool.

http://youtu.be/MfnM1X-U6OU

So now I have 6 dollars to spend on Yo Yos.

• April 14, 2012 4:27 AM CDT
    • Here's a long shot of the old bass.

• April 14, 2012 4:18 AM CDT
    • I don't bend the wood, I glue pieces together and sand them. Pro shops would also lathe them on CNC machines or something, but drums don't require that kind of thing, just ask any djembe carver.

I'll try and post some pics of our bass player's old Strat and pedal steel guitar that he inherited from his dad. It is a bit of a shame that he's playing an old Sears type bass when he has this kind of guitar too, but, hey it's only rock and roll. May as well post a pic of the bass too. It may be a legend by now!

John Carlucci said:

This is my 75 Gibson Les Paul Triumph Recording bass. One of only 200 made in white. (which has faded to yellow) It's one of the best sounding basses I ever heard.

• April 14, 2012 1:14 AM CDT
    • Show #369: "Bands & Artists Starting With D, Part 10" playlist:

The Duponts - "Screamin' Ball (At Dracula Hall)"
      Cornell Dupree - "Teasin'"
      The Duprees - "Goodnight My Love"
      Alison Durbin - "Don't Come Any Closer"
      Judith Durham - "Again And Again"
      Rick Durham & The Dynamics - "I Got My Eyes On You"
      Dusk - "If We Just Leave Today"
      Dust [AR] - "Through A Silk Keyhole"
      Dust [NY] - "From A Dry Camel"
      Dust [IL] - "Gone"
      The Dusters - "Rock At The Hop"
      Dutch Masters - "The Expectation"
      Jacques Dutronc - "L'opportuniste"
      Huelyn Duvall - "It's No Wonder"
      Boeing Duveen & The Beautiful Soup - "Jabberwock"
      Bob Dylan - "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands"
      The Dyna-Tones - "The Skunk"
      The Dynamic Dischords - "Passageway (To Your Heart)"
      The Dynamic Hursemen - "You Tell Me Why"
      The Dynamic Nutones - "Sick And Tired"
      The Dynamics [PA] - "The Girl I Met Last Night"
      The Dynamics [THAI] - "Used To Be"
      The Dynamics [WA] - "All She Said"
      The Dynamites - "Walkin' The Dog"
      Dynasty [UK] - "Tatankhamun"
      The Dynasty [US] - "I've Gotta Shout"
      The Dynastys - "Forever And A Day"
      The Dynatones - "The Fife Piper"
      The Dynels - "Just A Face In The Crowd"
      Y Dyniadon Ynfyd Hirfelyn Tesog - "Cwmwl Gwym"
      Dzamble - "Dziewczyna, W Ktora Wierze"
      Dzyan - "Magika"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/369.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/369.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• April 13, 2012 1:37 PM CDT
    • Show #369: "Bands & Artists Starting With D, Part 10"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "D". This is the tenth time I've drawn the letter "D", so I will start from where I left off on show #9 (which was with Duo Kribo). This will be the FINAL installment of the letter D! So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "D" like: Cornell Dupree, The Duprees, Alison Durbin, Judith Durham, 3 bands called Dust, Dutch Masters, Jacques Dutronc, Boeing Duveen & The Beautiful Soup, Bob Dylan, The Dyna-Tones, The Dynamic Dischords, 3 different Dynamics, 2 bands called Dynasty, Dzamble, Dzyan, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• April 13, 2012 5:08 PM CDT
    • Playlist Apr 12/2012

1. Dr. Johm....Ice Age...from the recently released Locked Down CD. Produced by Dan Auerbach of Black Keys fame.

2. Pointed Sticks....Marching Song...from the Perfect Youth LP from 1980 and a request.

3. Thee Dirtybeats...You Turned Your Back On Me...new garagepunk from North Carolina and features the person responsible for the Tobacco A-GoGo compilations on the tubs.

4. The Damnsels...Legend...from their first 7" from 2007. One of The Damnsels is now living here in London.

5. Living Deadbeats...Hey Girl...from their soon to be released 12". From Vancouver and features former Londoner Peter Gripp on bass.

6. Lightbulb Alley...Pepper Spray...from their The Sound Of Things CD and they will be at Brennan's Beer Bistro here in London on Sat Apr 21. Another Radio WW presentation you don't want to miss.

7. Weirdonia...Masked Boy...from their new Freaks CD and they will also be in town at the same show as Light Bulb Alley...and they'll be playing earlier in the day at Grooves Records.

8. Raised By Weeds...Come September...recorded live on CJAM from Windsor on the Revolution Rock Radio show, hosted by our pal David K who is also in the Windsor combo The Hypnotics. Revolution Rock is on tuesday mornings on CJAM and is highly recommended for Radio WW listeners.

9. Lost Patrol...Blow Me Away...from their only LP that came out in the late 80's on Stop It Baby Records from France. They were Windsor based, appeared on several WW comps and are having a reunion show on Sat Apr 28th in Windsor.

10.The Reply...I Must Stop...brand new demo from this Toronto soul/mod/rock'n'roll combo who will be at Brennan's here in London on Sat Apr 21st...highly recommended!!!

11. The Reply...Memphis Train...as above.

12. Echo And The Bunnymen...Crocodiles...from the 1980 LP of the same name and a request.

13. Aunt Beezy...Crawl Around....new demo from this Toronto combo who have a Von Drat or 2 in the band.

14. The Kards...Cry Just A Little...from the Here's The Deal LP. Local combo who play around fairly regularly.

15. Wild Ones...WIld Thing...original version of The Troggs Wild Thing from the Ace Records compilation You Heard It Here First!

16. The Dictators...Young Fast and Scientific...from the Manifest Destiny LP from 1977. This goes out to Ritchie Teeter who passed away this week. Also, Manitoba is playing Call The Office on Fri Apr 20th...with Handsome Dick Manitoba, Ross The Boss, Thunderbolt Patterson and Daniel Rey.

17. The Barreracudas....Baby Baby Baby...recorded live on Terre T's show on WFMU 11/12/11.

18. The Dictators...Borneo Jimmy...from the Bloodbrothers LP from 1978.

19. The Ills...Gorehound...from their recent 7"

20. The Dictators...16 Forever...from the Every Day Is Saturday double LP on Norton Records. If you don't have anything by The Dictators, this is the place to start as many of the included demos are superior to the actual releases that came out.

21. Urban Verbs...Subway...from their first LP from 1980. Washington DC based art/punk combo who only released 2 LP's and one member was a brother of a Talking Head.

22. Orie Hitt Machine...Slaving Meat Wheel....demo from a crazed local combo.

23. Captain Beefheart...Floppy Boot Stomp...from the Shiny Beast LP from 1978 which was just re-issued for the first time.

24. Orie Hitt Machine...Killer Inside Me...more madness from this local combo.

25. Godfrey and Friends...Down Whittier Blvd...from the Dionysus compilation LP East Side Sound Volume 2 which came out in 2000. Collection of East LA combos from the mid to late 60's who mine the soul/garage sound.

26. Sheep Look Up....Jumper...from their first cassette from about 1981...London combo.

27. Eliza and The Strange...White Lies...from their debut LP and had to cut this one off as we ran out of time...

Apr 21st is our big show at Brennan's, with The Reply, Weirdonia, Light Bulb Alley and the debut of Hamilton's The noble Savages...9:30PM start.

Thanx for all the calls, emails, requests etc...back at ya next week at 6PM

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• April 13, 2012 4:05 PM CDT
    • This week's program featured music from New York Dolls, Link Wray, Ty Segall, Sloan, Joel Plaskett Emergency, The Black Lips, The D4, The Clash, and rare music from The Last Pogo Soundtrack from The Secrets and The Everglades. 

Download the podcast here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120410-1030-t1334050200.mp3

Check out this week's blog post on the Toronto Punk Documentary and soundtrack for The Last Pogo: http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/04/and-nowthe-last-pogo-show-399.html

Here's The Play List:

1.  The New York Dolls – Trash

2.  T-Rex – 20th Century Boy

3. The Shins – Bait And Switch

4.  Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

5.  Cowboy Junkies – Fuck, I Hate The Cold

6.  Papermaps – US And Them

7.  Joel Plaskett Emergency – You’re Mine

8.  Jaill – She’s My Baby

9.  Link Wray – Commanche

10. The Secrets – Teenage Rampage

11. The Everglades – Rock n’ Roll Cliché

12. Teenanger – Cops (But Not)

13. Sloan - Living With The Masses

14. Ty Segall – Maria Stacks

15. The Angry Dead Pirates – Moon

16. Neil Young – Walk On

17. The Stooges – Little Doll (John Cale Mix)

18. The Gruesomes – For All I Care

19. The Black lips – Family Tree

20. Ramones – I Can’t Be (Demo)

21. The D4 – Mysterex

22. The Clash – Bankrobber (Live From Here To Eternity II)