Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 17, 2012 7:04 AM CDT
    • Definitely looking forward to the Neanderthals, Nobunny, Little Richard, and Trouble In Mind releases.

• April 16, 2012 11:57 PM CDT
    • trying to get them Nobunny, White Stripes, Little Richard, Dan Melchior releases... however thesis presentations are that day too!! need to figure out a good time to sneak out before or after my presentation for hour or two

• April 16, 2012 9:23 PM CDT
    • Ok, so according to the counter thingy on the the Record Store Day website, Record Store Day will be ensuing at your local wax peddler in four days and two hours.  That's assuming you still have a record store in your town.  In Atlanta, we are in danger of losing one of our most popular record stores, Criminal Records. The store's owner, Eric Levin, is also one of the founders of Record Store Day.  After Criminal announced that they were in dire straits last fall, our community rallied around the store with benefit concerts, fundraisers, and donations, which resulted in a stay of execution for the beleaguered store. 

Hopefully, you will rally around your store this Saturday and take advantage of the insane amount of exclusive releases that will be for sale.  Of course, I am just as excited by the free swag, like the cool record carrying satchel I scored a couple of years ago.  But what release am I most hoping to find?  Why, the Buck Owens Coloring Book with Flexi disc - Duh!  Now what releases are you guys trying to get your grubby hands on?

Turf War - Record Store Day 2011

• April 17, 2012 7:04 AM CDT
    • The Hunches are a good noisy/trashy lo-fi garage punk band you could check out.

• April 17, 2012 6:34 AM CDT
    • I love lo-fi!

I also love the irony of it being played on a hi-fi too.....

Lo-fi ish bands I like include:

Surfy/lo-fi/garage.....

Lo-fi garage pop

The Babies are a lil bit lo-fi? in an indie rock way maybe....

• April 16, 2012 7:32 PM CDT
    • i hate it, but i'm going to go ahead and use this as an oppurtunity for shameless self=promotion! i play in a sludgy, reverb-drenched, garage band...here's the link to our bandcamp, i think there's everything we've released on tapes here.."under the stairs" was recorded on 4track - i hope it scratches your itch! http://magicshadows.bandcamp.com/track/under-the-stairs-4-track-demo

• April 17, 2012 12:57 AM CDT
    • All the time, but I am the sound lady at a music venue bar club. 

• April 16, 2012 2:29 PM CDT
    • Like never.

But my wife is tolerant, and I do rule the garage, so that's OK.

• April 17, 2012 12:19 AM CDT
    • Dear world:

I am not new to this.  Been a member since 2009, but I think I just signed up to plug one of my various projects one day- and then didn't come back for a while.  Then I realized that I like the layout of this place because you can choose to ignore dicks- unlike most message board type things that are all cliquey and stupid, so I am trying to see if it can be a thing that I do because Facebook is full of local dummys, coworkers, and relatives.  I miss the old Bomp! message boards from the late '90s and tape trading so I thought "Hey!  Let's give this a whirl."

I been in a ton of bands no one cares about that did a buncha records, currently play lead guitar in a Glam group called Ramma Lamma that did a buncha records. I had my own label for a while too until I realized that was a stupid waste of money.

Yeah so I like super good music and a lot of music that you probably don't like too.. I am 30 and married so I am not looking for compliments or a relationship but if you want to complain about stuff that I hate, too, or turn me on to some new sounds then let's be friends! 

XOXO,

Wendy

Ps I also book shows for a venue here in Milwaukee so if you're band is looking for a gig hit me up. 

• April 16, 2012 11:38 PM CDT
    • Heard from musicians from all over the world that it is really difficult for Garage bands to get shows in clubs and bars because the music industry places its own bands there.

Now, I did just what you think: I rented a café and invited several bands from all over Europe, and now we start a Garage punk festival.

I don´t know if it will work in the end, but I think this is the most practical way to start a good Rock´n´Roll evening with your friends.

I started asking some bands already some time ago, and looked for a good place. After some changes in line-up and place we got this thing together now. It is a lot of coordination work from my side, but costs and the risk of losing money are not too high, I hope. I can tell you more in a few months.

Fikki (ML)

• April 16, 2012 7:12 PM CDT
    • hey all,

I've been part of this two piece band since Thanksgiving last year and in that time i've realized two things: around here a lot of the hip and cool places to play are usually bars and that booking shows anywhere else usually means the shows are far apart and that we'll be playing with bands who's music is pretty different than the garage rock/punk we play. and since i'm still 20 and my drummer is 19, that severely limits where we can play.

One idea i've been having is to just rent out a banquet hall or something between 2-4 bands and just playing there with our friends and have a little party/show.

Thing is, i'm not sure where to start. I'm sure there are some of you who've had experience with DIY shows and whatnot, so i thought we could share some tips or ideas or stories here.

any wisdom from your veteran players out there would be especially helpful.

• April 16, 2012 8:55 PM CDT
    • I think garage had its rebirth in the 70's through comps like Nuggets and Pebbles because it let people hear amazing gems off albums that were sometimes sub par. Bands like The Merry-Go-Round, or Q65, while they released classic singles, I don't think they had great full albums. 

matthew rosedon said:

Aren't garage punk and greatest album mutually exclusive terms?  On vinyl, going round at 45 rpm, on some obscure label, and lasting no longer than 2:20 - otherwise it doesn't count (he said controversially).

• April 16, 2012 8:30 PM CDT
    • Thanks for another Comp, Kopper. These are handy to have when doing house hold chores or lazing about relaxing with a beer.

Cheers!

• April 16, 2012 5:25 PM CDT
    • is there any way to get the download without a Facebook account?

I'm a tryin to stay off the grid

• April 16, 2012 10:43 AM CDT
    • So is today the big day fer vol. 7?

• April 16, 2012 3:01 PM CDT
    • Wrekking Hrs is ON THE AIR! April 16th episode is LIVE right now till 6pm on 89.3fm, listen @ whfr.fm or on TuneIn.com & on ur phone!

On todays show we're featuring Psycho Bluegrass, Rockabilly Accordion, Surf Country, Spaghetti Western & all that is Neo-Rockabilly & Psychobilly music sub-genres or alternative "billy" styles.

Tune in 4-6pm w/ your phone via TuneIn radio or from our site at 

http://whfr.fm/about/listen-live-now

• April 16, 2012 11:42 AM CDT
    • Thanks!

• April 16, 2012 9:30 AM CDT
    • The Trip!  April 15th Show! 

Listen here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120415-0030-t13344...

The set list:

LAIKA & THE COSMONAUTS  GLOBAL VILLAGE 

CALICO WALL  FLIGHT REACTION 
      THE GET LOST!  BOOGIEHUT 
      THE CAVEMEN IT'S TRASH 
      THE UNTAMED YOUTH  FIRE BREATHING '32
      THE BLACK HOLLIES  PATIENT SPARROW 
      QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE  3'S AND 7'S 
      COMPULSIVE GAMBLERS TELSTAR 
      THE SAVAGES  THE WORLD AIN'T ROUND IT SQUARE 
      DAVE HARRIS & THE POWERHOUSE 5 DINNER MUSIC FOR A PACK OF HUNGRY CANNIBALS 
      THE GRUESOMES  WAY DOWN BELOW 
      THE SCRAMBLERS MR. HOT ROD 
      SUZI CHUNK  LOOK BACK AND LAUGH 
      THEM BELFAST GYPSIES  PEOPLE, LET'S FREAK OUT 
      THE ELECTRIC PRUNES  KYRIE ELEISON 
      13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS  I HAD TO TELL YOU
      THE LEAGUE OF NOTIONS  LIVIN' ONT THE SIDEWALK 
      QUINTRON  RING THE ALARM
      THE BURNIN' SANDS  TYPHOON
      THE BLUE DEMONS  BAJA 
      THE SADIES  THE LOTUS EATER 
      THE VANDALS  URBAN STRUGGLE 
      THE SUPERSUCKERS  MUST'VE BEEN HIGH 
      THE HELLBENDERS  ALL I CAN DO IS CRY 
      THE HELLBENDERS  TODAY WE KILL TOMORROW WE DIE 

• April 15, 2012 11:23 PM CDT
    • Last minute addition!

Atlanta, GA April 16th

Star Bar Downstairs, Free

With local garagepunksurfblues ghouls Ghost Bikini!

• April 15, 2012 10:28 PM CDT
    • MURDER CITY NIGHTS PODCAST EPISODE 16

All that Glitters: A Special Glam Rock Episode of the Murder City Nights Podcast

LISTEN NOW:

SET LIST:

• Cherry Cola - Eagles Of Death Metal
      • Motor Bikin' - Chris Spedding
      • Angry Inch - Hedwig & the Angry Inch
      • California Man - Cheap Trick
      • Hot Stuff, Hot Shit - Turbonegro
      • She's Alright - The Real Kids
      • Pills - New York Dolls
      • Dyna-Mite - Mud
      • I'm Gonna Be Your Man - Eddie & the Hot Rods
      • Queen Bitch - David Bowie
      • Gimme Danger - Iggy & The Stooges
      • God Killed The Queen - Louis XIV
      • New York Groove - Hello
      • Cherry Bomb - The Runaways
      • Trash - Suede
      • Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
      • Satellite Of Love - Lou Reed
      • I'm Partial To Your Abracadabra - Ian Dury
      • The True Wheel - Brian Eno
      • Quark, Strangeness And Charm - Hawkwind
      • Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me) - Steve Harley
      • Hot One - Shudder To Think
      • Baby Strange - Marc Bolan & T.Rex
      • On With The Show - The Rolling Stones

DOWNLOADSUBSCRIBE | SUBSCRIBE TO ALL | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | WEBSITE | ITUNES

• April 15, 2012 10:27 PM CDT
    • :o(

Hope you are okay.