Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 2, 2012 7:29 PM CDT
    • "Jukebx at Erics" , the first really important Trash - Rock comp to combine R'n'B , Rockabilly , Instros , et al. I don't think  it's on CD , should have ben ,years ago , with a vinyl re-pressing , too.

"Wavy Gavy" (Vols. 1-3 ) . Some fucked - up shit . Gotta have it. 

"Scum of The Earth''. Amazing. Thoroughly whacked - out.  I found volume 2 , recently , did'nt know it existed . It's not as good ,I even had some of the songs already , but , was glad to find it.

Practically ANY Bison Bop Rockabilly comps.

"Monster Rock " , "Horror  Hop " (Also Bison/Buffalo Bop)

"Forbidden City Dog Food" Sick as Hell !

Special Rhino Records section (Got a beef ? Soak it in au jus sauce , baby !)

Nuggets sets 1 and 2 (WELL , DUH.)

ROCKIN' BONES (IF YOU ONLY BUY ONE ROCKABILLY COMP IN YOUR LIFE , THIS IS IT !).

After That , Back From The Grave , Teenage Shutdown , Pebbles 1-10 and some offshoots ( Best of Pebbles actually had GOOD sound), an doh , yeah , that Teen Trash box set. I would'nt have paid full price for it , tho'....Mexican Rock'n'Roll - Psych - Out South of The Border /Blue Demon's Favorites.

• April 2, 2012 11:49 AM CDT
    • I read on a blog a rumor that a Back from the Grave volume 9 may be in the works

bftg9??

• April 2, 2012 4:11 PM CDT
    • These things are just awful. They make the shittiest, worse sounding records. You're essentially making a digital record. Even from a high quality source, they sound like complete ass. There's a company here in Canada that are calling themselves a pressing plant that uses these things and are charging almost the same price as a real pressing plant. We're doing 500 7" 45s and it's less than a grand! Cut back on the beer and the weed for a month and you'll have enough to make a real record! There's a reason records are made with laquers and stampers - they sound good! These records are just abysmal. Get your records done right! I dread the day I buy a record from one of these turd squeezers.

• April 2, 2012 3:53 PM CDT
    • Here is the site of Erika Records. They do Sub Pop's vinyl, gorgeous slabs. 

That presser is too cool, but I'm guessing most punks still want a relatively easy way to press 500-1000 discs at first.

An acqaintance actually had a pressing plant delivered to Austin from San Antonio, and eventually he had to concede it was just too difficult/expensive to maintain. He sold it to 2 guys from Cali (no idea what became of it after that).

• April 2, 2012 3:10 PM CDT
    • well if the source is a wav or an mp3 or any kind of digital audio for that matter, it is as good as well, nothing!and it is a very expensive investment and you have to find vinyl sources, and, and, well, if you are a musician, get as good as you think you can so you can persuade a small label to put your record out! unless you are filthy rich! but then again this is just me, a broke greek guy...

• April 2, 2012 2:32 PM CDT
    • SCREW MP3! The Revolution is at hand!

• April 2, 2012 2:07 PM CDT
    • Check this out:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2012/120320vinyl

The VinylRecorder T560: It Lets You Make Your Own Vinyl, at Home...

Tuesday, March 20, 2012
      by  paul

Why wait for some limited-edition vinyl release, when you can make your own limited runs at home! Enter the VinylRecorder T560, which has the power to instantly elevate anyone to über-hipster status. The T560 was conveniently on display at SXSW this year, and it's one hell of a concoction. Assembled and operated correctly, the VinylRecorder lets you groove your own blank platters, and even create colored or illustrated vinyl 'editions'.          

Actually, this thing has been on the market for years, and it's not the only do-it-yourself machine. But maybe now's the 'moment' for this previously-outlandish market niche. The VinylRecorder comes from Stuttgart-based team Fritz and Ulrich Sourisseau, and perks include multi-RPM recording capabilities (ie, 33, 45, and 78), multi-sized recording flexibility (5", 7", 10" and 12"), and the ability to listen to a track while it is being recorded. 

A word of caution: this is definitely not an out-of-the-box solution. In fact, you'll be picking-and-choosing among lots of different components, and you'll also need your own turntable (ie, a Technics 1200 or similar) to fit the maker. You'll also need to navigate a roughly-translated website at vinylrecorder.com, which is actually part of the fun.

That said, price tags are not for budget-conscious music fans. The 'starter kit' is 3,200 euros ($4,230), and there are lots of multi-hundred euro add-ons to consider. Buying or waiting-to-buy a rare vinyl release seems comparatively easier, but that's not the point - especially if you have lots of time, lots of money, and endless passion to devote to something like this.

• April 2, 2012 3:51 PM CDT
    • The Evil Eyes (feat ex-Leather Upper and Tijuana Bible Classy Craig Daniels) are looking to play some dates in July/August and would like some booking assistance or some show trades for the following cities:

Atlanta

Chicago

Cincinnati

Detroit

Louisville

Memphis

Nashville (my hometown- gotta get a show here!!)

New Orleans

We would also be willing to play within a reasonable driving distance of any of these places (Murfreesboro TN, Chattanooga TN, Birmingham AL, Huntsville AL, Little Rock AR, Chapel Hill NC, et al).

We're going to be out and about anyway so if you want to do a show, let us know- we'll play almost anywhere - house parties, weddings, bar mitzvahs - if you have beer and bourbon, we're there!

If you can set up a show in yer neck of the woods, we'll get you a show or two up this way!

• April 2, 2012 3:49 PM CDT
    • Here is the vid for the Ravens 45.

John Battles said:

BUT , NORTON'S MORE RECENT SERIES ON UNRELEASED GARAGE PUNK ACETATES COMES HIGHLY RECOMMENDED , AS DOES THE NEW RE-ISSUE OF THE IMPOSSIBLY RARE 45 BY THE SUBURBAN CHICAGO BAND , THE RAVENS , WITH JOHN BELUSHI ON DRUMS .

IT'S PRETTY FUCKIN' SWEET. IF YOU LIKE "BACK FROM THE GRAVE" , YOU'RE ALREADY A FAN OF BOTH ! 

• April 2, 2012 3:15 PM CDT
    • We're ON THE AIR! now till 6pm w/ a brand new Wrekking Hrs for April 2nd 2012!!

Featured on Todays show:  Guitar great Joel Patterson, stripped down & rockin out, BRAND NEW Bill Fadden & the Rhythm Busters new alblumn "The Screamin' End"  - soon to be released, here it first on the Wrekking Hours.

• April 2, 2012 2:40 PM CDT
    • Garagepunk Catwalk!

:P

I really really like it.

• April 2, 2012 2:32 PM CDT
    • It's hard, but some of my best friends today were, when I met them, "music aqcuaintances". SHIT, I'm old!

;)

• April 2, 2012 1:18 PM CDT

• Joanie Lindstrom said:

The worst is when you ask someone what kind of music they like and they say "Oh I like all kinds of music" which translates into "I don't really give a shit about music".

Accurate translation!!

• April 2, 2012 8:47 AM CDT
    • I guess I'm the oddball in that it happens a bit more often for me here in Boston.  I've done radio for a long ass time (just had my 25th party, http://laterisersclub.org on WMBR) and people who work in the medical area where my real job is have come up to me to say hi. A post-doc from Copenhagen liked some of the same music (turned me onto Iceage from DK) and I've met some people at non-rock parties with similar taste.  Altho it's still the exception.  The worst is when you ask someone what kind of music they like and they say "Oh I like all kinds of music" which translates into "I don't really give a shit about music".

• April 2, 2012 1:29 AM CDT
    •  

i'M SURE THE MAJORITY OF US ARE....IT'S OK IF SOME  PEOPLE ARE'NT. I DID'NT HAVE AN "IGGY EPIPHANY" OR A "STOOGES EPIPHANY" UNTIL I WAS IN MY EARLY 20's . I can't say why , i WAS WELL INTO gARAGE pUNK  THEN PROTO PUNK LIKE tHE MC5 , BLUE CHEER , AND tHE nEW yORK dOLLS , BEFORE I GOT INTO THE STOOGES. I LIKED "RAW POWER" , BUT , DID'NT BUY INTO THE WHOLE PARTY LINE TIL LATER. GO FIGURE.

Ghislaine Korb said:

...and c'mon aren't we all Stooges fans?

• April 2, 2012 1:24 AM CDT
    • No , Ghislaine , but , I WAS a big fan during the first big Doors revival in the early 80's. I lost interest , tho'. I still like "LA WOMAN" , "THE WASP " and "ROADHOUSE BLUES" to an extent , but , I can't get into Morrisson like I did , back then. They certainly influened The Stooges , The Stranglers , The Nervebreakers , ETC.

Ghislaine Korb said:

NEVER!...oooh how come all of us say the same?WTF?

anybody a Doors fan here?

• April 2, 2012 1:19 AM CDT
    • Funny you mention it , I have a couple of Dead Moon patches on my jackets. Occasionally , someone goes "WOW! DEADMOON! COOL!"....But , people are overprotective of their own percieved coolness in the city. What can ya do?

swt said:

Very rarely -- especially in the garage-punk realm. I remember running into an acquaintance in a parking lot wearing a Dead Moon T-shirt. I almost hugged him.

I am a hillbilly music nut and have a local radio show for that obsession, so it's a little easier to find common ground with folks with old country stars like Willie Nelson or Roger Miller. (Just don't ask me about virtually any country act played on commercial radio since about 1980.)

I do a weekly music column at my paper (the local daily). So people cone up to me all the time and say stuff like, "You're a music fan. What do you think of the new Rod Stewart album?" My first thought is usually "You don't actually read the words in my column do you?"

On the other hand, ever so often people come up and tell me I've turned them on to some good music with my column or radio shows. That's always nice.

But more often, I'm like Mark. When someone asks me what I've been listening to and I spout off names of bands I really like, even a lot of the country bands, people look at me like I'm nuts.

• April 1, 2012 4:36 PM CDT
    • I pretty much never meet those who are into garage/punk 60s-contemporary/Rock'n'Roll..... I don't think people are into the idealistic view of having integrity in music anymore, be it lyrics, musical structure, or even intelligibility or even talent in performance. It seems most people USE popular music, if you can call it such now days, as a social vehicle to be popular by joining whatever cultural trends dominate at the moment. They might be into Karaoke R&B or  Karaoke Rap/hip hop set to an butchered instrumental loop of one of your favorite artists or pointless screaming to some monotone noise.  Ask anyone what they like about music now days and they might just say "the beat".. pretty ambitious stuff huh?.  I think those who are into THIS site appreciate some musical structure and chemistry of melody and rhythm, musicianship, arrangement, performance delivery, raw energy, passion, o r i g i n a l l i t y, maybe some lyrical sophistication or point and a kind of higher standard of aesthetic compared to the dominant "mainstream".  Call it snobbish or whatever!  People like the type music on Garage Punk Hideout because it's GOOD! I think that is why it's not typical to run into others with similar tastes

• April 1, 2012 5:07 PM CDT
    • Yeh, that'd be killa! It had a link to a site that had excised material on it, but the site no longer exists. I never hear enuff o' band anecdotes, myself.

• April 1, 2012 5:01 PM CDT
    • Great Book, I found Davidsons use of prose initially abit abrupt but the content was ace as well as all the nuts-and-bolts of being in bands, recording, touring and getting ripped-off. I watched an interview on youtube and Davidson said that the book was originally bigger. Maybe in the future it could be re-released as an expanded edition or a kindle/pdf only type thing?

• April 1, 2012 3:42 PM CDT
    • Hello

Wild Mutha is really easy, almost the same structure as Ape Man by The Kinks, Larry may use some faancy chord variations but these are the basics:

intro: E D A E

verse: A E

chorus: D A F#m D E A E

bridge: same as verse and chorus

A skill to learn for rock and roll is the hammer on with the little finger. Make a bar-chord/powerchord shape with two fingers and the hammer on and off with the little finger. Easy when you know how. The lead part is a mixture of simple rock n roll lead with a twist of surf whereby you drench the guitar in reverb and play one note leads. Its really tricky to do consistently well.

Red Cobra #9

A bit trickier, the lead makes it seem difficult but it's actually a really simple song:

Verse/chorus: D E D E A

Break: A C D

Lead:  D D C D D F D F D F D C D (starts on A string 5th Fret)

Bridge: same as verse/chorus

enjoy :D