Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 31, 2012 1:26 PM CDT
    • Aloha!

Changing Pickups make sense - instead of Fender PUs try some P90s (they are single coil too and make a really dirty sound - think of ooooooold Gibsons they had these PUs) plus you can get some in Humbucker-Size from Seymour Duncan or so...so you dont have to change the pickguard, too - they really fuckin rock!!!

Cheers from Munich,

El Presidente

• March 31, 2012 11:02 AM CDT
    • I run into the same kind of problem when I ask women I don't know "Can Your Pussy Do the Dog?"

electrocute your cock said:

Almost never. Sometimes I'll be shopping and I'll whisper to the person standing next to me "are you a boy or are you a girl" and see how they react. But it's not an approach I'd recommend, it can lead to all sorts of crazy misunderstandings.

• March 31, 2012 9:36 AM CDT
    • Almost never. Sometimes I'll be shopping and I'll whisper to the person standing next to me "are you a boy or are you a girl" and see how they react. But it's not an approach I'd recommend, it can lead to all sorts of crazy misunderstandings.

• March 31, 2012 9:05 AM CDT
    • Just my band maids. We are the only 3 people in my country ( which I know) who are very  into 60's garage/psych/surf any kind of nice groovie old music. But there are people who like more major stuff like Ty Segall, The Black Lips, The Sonics etc....... But there are lot more of rockabilly psychobilly fans everyvere which I don't dig at all (with few exception)

• March 31, 2012 1:55 AM CDT
    • Very rarely -- especially in the garage-punk realm. I remember running into an acquaintance in a parking lot wearing a Dead Moon T-shirt. I almost hugged him.

I am a hillbilly music nut and have a local radio show for that obsession, so it's a little easier to find common ground with folks with old country stars like Willie Nelson or Roger Miller. (Just don't ask me about virtually any country act played on commercial radio since about 1980.)

I do a weekly music column at my paper (the local daily). So people cone up to me all the time and say stuff like, "You're a music fan. What do you think of the new Rod Stewart album?" My first thought is usually "You don't actually read the words in my column do you?"

On the other hand, ever so often people come up and tell me I've turned them on to some good music with my column or radio shows. That's always nice.

But more often, I'm like Mark. When someone asks me what I've been listening to and I spout off names of bands I really like, even a lot of the country bands, people look at me like I'm nuts.

• March 30, 2012 7:29 PM CDT
    • in real life... never. i always think, man, if I move to a better city I'll meet someone who truly gets my music taste,  but it seems like that's not the case from what you guys are saying.

• March 30, 2012 6:27 PM CDT
    • Never!

When I mention some of the bands I listen to, I get looks like I'm from another planet.

• March 30, 2012 3:51 PM CDT
    • In RL? Has happened once in like 9 years here -- I noticed someone wearing a C&W style shirt and inquired where he got it (USA of course). Turned out, he was a big rockabilly fan and used to play in a band. That almost never happens.

kopper said:

Yeah, no shit. In real life? Aside from a garage/punk show (which I rarely ever go to anymore, anyway)? NEVER.

• March 30, 2012 3:41 PM CDT
    • Yeah, no shit. In real life? Aside from a garage/punk show (which I rarely ever go to anymore, anyway)? NEVER.

• March 30, 2012 3:02 PM CDT
    • Every day!

That being said, the number has dwindled drastically with the closing of most record stores.

• March 30, 2012 2:20 PM CDT
    • Not very often, that's for sure!!!

But doing a garagepunk radio show (Radio What Wave) i do come across some really cool people out there that actually have what i call, cool taste in music. In fact just last night, i had a young band called The Bad Bad Bad onair and these kids (early 20's i guess) actually got it, and have really good taste!! Talked to them for way too long which i tend to do when i come across like minded souls....

And like Pat says above, it's usually at records shows/stores or live shows in other towns that us outcasts of society usually meet up by some form of fate.

• March 30, 2012 6:44 AM CDT
    • Jeez, I'd never want to meet any of you dickheads on purpose.

OK, just kidding.  I almost never run into people with the same music taste.  Basically if I want to go to a show or even the record store, I go alone.  When I do run into someone with the same taste at a party or something, I get pathetically giddy.  That said, I'm still amused every time my friends make jokes about my not liking bands that have more than 50 fans or bands that someone else has actually heard of.  It's a point of pride.

• March 30, 2012 3:17 AM CDT
    • Never...

If i meet someone with same taste it's because somehow i "provocate" the meeting by going where i could find those people ! By going in record stores or r'n'r bars in other towns/countries...

• March 31, 2012 1:08 AM CDT
    • I like the Sweet too:)  BTW, you should check out Dave Thompson's book about the Sweet, titled "Blockbuster."

Johnny sic said:

The Sweet!!! It doesn't get any better.

• March 30, 2012 8:25 PM CDT
    • The Sweet!!! It doesn't get any better.

• March 31, 2012 1:05 AM CDT
    • Show #367: "The Eggman Collection #111" playlist:

King Crimson - "Cirkus including Entry Of The Chameleons"
      Downliners Sect - "Now She's Dead"
      Gun - "Dreams And Screams"
      Joni Mitchell - "Chelsea Morning"
      The Shy Limbs - "Reputation"
      Majority One - "Don't Mind The Rain"
      Jason Crest - "A Place In The Sun"
      Bob Dylan - "Masters Of War"
      Blind Faith - "Presence Of The Lord"
      John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - "Mother"
      Five By Five - "Fruitstand Man"
      Egg - "A Visit To Newport Hospital"
      Porter Wagoner - "The First Mrs. Jones"
      Love - "Signed D.C."
      Can - "Mother Sky"
      Jimmy Soul - "If You Wanna Be Happy"
      Funkadelic - "I'll Stay"
      The Lee Kings - "Orient Express"
      The Peppers - "Just A Rock"
      Jon & Robin - "Thursday Morning"
      T2 - "Timothy Monday"
      The Rats - "Turtle Dove"
      Joyfull Noise - "People Get Together"
      Grapefruit - "Lullaby"
      The Battered Ornaments - "Twisted Track"
      Joy Division - "A Means To An End"
      Erkin Koray - "Seni Her Gordugumde"
      Willow - "Thinking Of You"
      Terry Dactyl & The Dinosaurs - "She Left, I Died"
      The Rain - "She Is A Friend"
      The Blue Rondos - "Little Baby"
      Diane Hildebrand - "Jan's Blues"
      Mythos - "Concrete City"
      Gracious! - "The Dream"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/367.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/367.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• March 30, 2012 12:54 PM CDT
    • Show #367: "The Eggman Collection #111"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 111th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: King Crimson, Downliners Sect, The Shy Limbs, Majority One, Jason Crest, Bob Dylan, Blind Faith, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, Egg, Love, Can, Funkadelic, The Lee Kings, The Rats, Grapefruit, The Battered Ornaments, Mythos, Gracious!, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• March 31, 2012 12:13 AM CDT
    •  In the 80's ,  I saw The Kingsmen  (Minus Lynn Easton and virtually nothing from their back catalogue. Too slick and bar bandish.) , Larry and The Blue Notes  (Technically very good , but ,no Garage classics , theirs or others .More Bar Banditis.), And Mitch Ryder , who's never failed , but you may not call him Garage. .

SOME OF THE BEST i'VE SEEN HAVE BEEN Richard and The Young Lions , ? and The Mysterians , Electric Prunes , New Colony Six , Third Bardo , Alarm Clocks , Standells , monks , Remains , Sky Saxon and The Seeds ,  Wailers , Box Tops (They came on like a Garage band !) , Mark Lindsay.

Good but not always great - Blues Magoos , Zakary Thaks , Kenny and The Kasuals (GREAT the first time ,but they don't do many 0f their  originals ).

Not so hot - Gants , Beau Brummels , Bad Roads.

Terrible -Greenfuz.

British section - Pretty Things , Creation ,  Yardbirds, Downliners Sect , TROGGS !

hONORABLE MENTION , HARD ROCK- Blue Cheer , Iron Butterfly .

• March 30, 2012 11:49 PM CDT
    • Yeah , Gonn is much better than anyone has a right to expect. Wish I could see 'em . aLARM CLOCKS ARE SAVAGE ! aLSO , THE STANDELLS BLEW MY HEAD OFF , THE ONE TIME I SAW THEM , BUT , IT WAS DICKIE , TONY AND LARRY.

DammitDave said:

In the past couple of years, I've seen Gonn (in St Louis) and The Alarm Clocks (last year's Gonerfest).  Both were really good live.

• March 30, 2012 12:34 PM CDT
    • In the past couple of years, I've seen Gonn (in St Louis) and The Alarm Clocks (last year's Gonerfest).  Both were really good live.

• March 30, 2012 11:45 PM CDT
    • THEY NOW HAVE IT IN Chicago , i JUST PICKED UP A COPY.

• March 30, 2012 10:43 PM CDT
    • I really like the virtual/video live simulcast idea. Since the Hideout is virtual -- it makes total sense.

I can think of several locations where there are studios available for this purpose. There's a place right here tied to local radio that would be perfect. The video part? Doable.

I'm game -- and Kopper is sending out virtual NODs -- :-)

The Mighties said:

This is a great idea!!

Nathan S. Cianciola said:

The Hideout is way too international to pick one spot, it would have to be a tour. That sounds even more difficult. Maybe an online concert in real time that could go from location to location around the world with different bands playing at home. Charge memebers a few bucks so they can view it live!

• March 30, 2012 11:02 AM CDT
    • This is a great idea!!

Nathan S. Cianciola said:

The Hideout is way too international to pick one spot, it would have to be a tour. That sounds even more difficult. Maybe an online concert in real time that could go from location to location around the world with different bands playing at home. Charge memebers a few bucks so they can view it live!

• March 30, 2012 2:29 PM CDT
    • Playlist Mar 30/2012

Another packed to the gills show, Becky from The Pack AD called in to talk about their big show that eve in London and The  Bad Bad Bad joined us in the studio to yammer about their big show at The Black Shire that night.

1. Slugfest....Chicken On A Ball And Chain from The Port CD and a request from last week's show. Slugfest will be playing at the Richmond here in London on Sat Apr 7th...matinee show.

Right about this time Becky Black, guitarist/vocalist from The Pack AD phoned in to talk about their 8PM show opening for Our Lady Peace. Caught their set and they wowed the packed crowd with a high energy rock'n'roll show! I was apprehensive about them opening for such a mainstream act but The  Pack AD went over REALLY well!! Kudos to them and they've come along way since we had them at the long gone Brunswick back in 2007!

2. Pack AD...Eight...from the Unpersons LP. Had to skip the intro as they say fuck right at the beginning of the song and that didn't go over well last time i played it.

And about this time The Bad Bad Bad, a 2 piece garagepunk combo from Halifax joined us  live in the studio...caught them later at the Black Shire and you've gotta see these guys!! Guitarist/vocalist Jake has patented some high speed dancing moves that look like a cross between Chuck's duck walk and Donald Duck on speed...highly entertaining!!

The Bad Bad Bad at Black Shire Pub, 3/29/12....it was really tough to take pics as guitarist/vocalist Jake was jumping around like crazy!!

3. The Bad Bad Bad...Scumbags and Superstars...from their debut CD.

4. The Bad Bad Bad...Don't Push Me...as above.

5. The Bad Bad Bad...Look What You've Become...as above.

6. The Bad Bad Bad...SOS....as above. Big thanx to The Bad Bad Bad for coming onair to yammer.

7. The Baketones...I'm A Caveman...from their CD Unite. They are also from Halifax and we had them on Radio WW a year or 2 ago.

8. Cordcalling...When I Scream...from their same named debut CD and they opened the show at The Black Shire Pub. Also on the bill was Eliza and The Strange, a sorta psych/garage/goth outfit from Halifax.

9. The Reply...I'm A Man....live recording and The Reply will be in London on Apr 21st at Brennan's Beer Bistro as  part of a rock'n'roll evening.

10. Light Bulb Alley....Pepper Spray...from their The Sound Of Things CD and they will also be at the big show on Apr 21st at Brennan's.

11. Weirdonia...Green Tables...from their first CD and they too will be at Brennan's on Sat Apr 21st. They will also be playing at Grooves Records at 4PM that day as part of Record Store Day. Also on the bill for the evening show is The noble Savages, a brand new Hamilton garagepunk combo that features former Londoner Rob Munro on guitar.

12. Sonic Avenues...Television Youth...from the same named CD and they will be in town on Saturday night at Call The Office along with Sam Coffey and The Iron Lungs, a great garagepunk combo from the Kitchener area.

13. Myles Deck and The Fuzz...Watch Your Job...from the Beware The Fuzz LP and they are from Halifax and good buddies with The Bad Bad Bad.

14. The Living Deadbeats...Lost...from their soon to be released 12" and they are hitting London sometime this July. Former Londoner Peter Gripp holds down the bass for this Vancouver combo.

15. The Pulsebeats...Song For Cecilia...from their debut CD.

16. The Evil Eyes...Jerry Lee Vs The Wolfman...new Toronto garagepunk combo and this will be on their debut record. Leather Upper Craig Daniels is in this outfit.

17. White Lung...Two Seen...from their debut CD and they open the  show  on Apr 16th at APK.

18. Flying Squad...Fie On You...from the 7" compilation that we put out in 1988 called Four Whom The Bell Tolls.

19. The Beaten Hearts...Rhonda Lynn....another east coast combo who harken back  to the  late 70's days of Real Kids.

20. BBQ...Waddlin' Around...from the Tie Your Noose CD on Bomp Records. BBQ hits Call The Office on Thursday Apr 5th...

Thanx to Becky of the Pack AD and The Bad Bad Bad for taking time to contribute to Radio WW....and thanx for all the call-ins, emails, requests etc....as you probably know, i'm the only one there and can't always talk as long as i'd like as this is live rock'n'roll radio!!!

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• March 30, 2012 8:57 AM CDT
    • Kustom City Sounds

4-30-12

Playlist:

Hour One

The Meek – Grave

The Blue Squares – Time To Get Over You

Death Set – Intermission

Michael Yonkers – Kill The Enemy

The Madd – Jump Now

The Long Ryders – Join My Gang

Johnny Marr – The Last Ride

Bruce Chanel – Come On Baby

Paperboy Reed – Satisfier

Matt Foley – Motivational Speaker

Curtis Gordon – Draggin’

Jimmy Evans – Pink Cafillac

Colbert Hamilton & The Hell Razors – Long Black Shiny Car

Hellbound Hayride – Hot Rods To Hell

The Mutilators – Rat Rod

Hot Rod Hillbillies – Dragstrip Demons

Brian Setzer – Hot Rod Girl

Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen – Hot Rod Lincoln

Hal Jackson’s Tornadoes – Wild Man Wild

77 Sunset Strip

Social Distortion – California (Hustle And Flow)

Last Year’s Men – In My Car

Reigning Sound – What Did I Tell You

The Broken Vinyl Club – Every Inch

The Black Keys – Lonely Boy

The Smithereens – Sorry

X – Ray Harpoons – Phantom On MY Mind

The Urges – Gotta Wait

Plan 9 – B – 3 11

Hour Two

The Boss Mustangs – Turn On!

Swingin’ Neckbreakers – Pool Hoppin’

Cretin 66 – Soda Pop Bubble Gum