Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 10, 2012 10:16 PM CST
    • OK , I stayed out of this argument , but , I'm with you on that one , and no one should have to stand alone as a Seeds fan . Especially in the context of Garage fandom. The Ramones also had a whole helluva lot of songs that sounded alike , or only moderately dissimilar , and a dearly departed singer that a lot of folks said could'nt sing. That's the beauty of it ! Sky Saxon was'nt the first to say "Fuck a singing lesson , let's Rock'n'Roll" , but he was the missing link from Jagger to Iggy and Johnny Rotten. They had so many great songs , especially on the first and second albums , and various oddball cuts like "Satisfy You" , "The Gypsy Plays The Drums" , "Wild Blood" (Think a good thought for Kim Fowley.), "Did He Die" , etc.   I'm not even suggesting people go do psychedelics , but , I don't doubt what Hicksville Hogwash is saying is true....The Seeds straddled that line from Garage Punk to early Psych so effortlessly. They never claimed to have a complicated sound , but , it was unique , especially if you can imagine what it must have sounded like to people , back then , when most bands of their ilk did'nt even DO LPs.  Still , you get it or you don't , and it's OK if you don't.

"Pushin' Too Hard" , I'd say , was more or less an instant standard.

hicksville hogwash said:

Try and reconsider The Seeds (and being hyped!  ...errr when?)  The Seeds are the only band I could listen to forever (sad but true).  They like Bo Diddley felt their groove so strongly that most every song/album is based on one or two chords.  

Sure Sky's voice is whiny but he is a magician of subliminal psychedelic messaging transforming into your trip guide by harnessing the primal power of the animal, plant and fungal kingdoms.  I hate to push drugs on you but with psychedelics the Seeds are better than 99.66% of "psychedelic bands"  they Pushed the envelope..... They were one of the first, IMHO the Doors ripped their entire act and sound ....

"Pushing too Hard" should be a standard ....

dying slowly said:

i can never get into the seeds i guess they got to hyped up for me

• March 10, 2012 9:57 PM CST
    • You're already on the right track with "( I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone". It's been a standard for centuries , and one of the very first Punk anthems , from Paul Revere and The Raiders' middle finger in yer face original to The Monkees' better known version , which still kills , to the innumerable covers that followed in their wake ,  and never cease to , as the song approaches the 50 year mark....

kletzl said:

It's "Moulty", actually

kletzl said:

Wild Thing - The Troggs

Mouldy - The Barbarians 

"Stepping Stone" or you "You ain't no friend of mine" should be standards as well.

• March 10, 2012 7:24 PM CST
    • I heard it last night for the first time.  Very Yardbirds influenced.  And it was easier to find once a band name had been supplied.  First thing Google wanted to search for was Fords made between '80 and '96. 

Alex said:

Yes, by the Dantes.  Sorry I forgot to mention that!  It's an instrumental.  No doubt you've heard it before.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that one.  Thanks for adding a name to the song. Now Googling won't be next to impossible.

Mole said:

80-96 by The Dantes?

What's 80-96.  Also kudos to adding Stolen Moments to this list as it's such an overlooked song.  You're list looks like one I would have written (but we never did get around to playing these though because my band thought they were TOO well known).

• March 10, 2012 2:39 PM CST
    • Yes, by the Dantes.  Sorry I forgot to mention that!  It's an instrumental.  No doubt you've heard it before.

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that one.  Thanks for adding a name to the song. Now Googling won't be next to impossible.

Mole said:

80-96 by The Dantes?

What's 80-96.  Also kudos to adding Stolen Moments to this list as it's such an overlooked song.  You're list looks like one I would have written (but we never did get around to playing these though because my band thought they were TOO well known).

• March 9, 2012 9:20 PM CST
    • Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that one.  Thanks for adding a name to the song. Now Googling won't be next to impossible.

Mole said:

80-96 by The Dantes?

• March 10, 2012 9:49 PM CST
    • "Bad Part of Town" by The Seeds starts off being about coal mining , but , has a happy ending.

The best - known non - Country song about coal mining would have to Lee Dorsey's original "Workin' In The Coal Mine".

• March 10, 2012 9:44 PM CST
    • Kenny and The Kasuals.  I know there's a UK comp that , like most , scratches the surface. I have the Live at The Cellar Club LP (DON'T FREAK , IT'S THE LATE 70'S REISSUE.), one of two EVA (Trademark of suck quality...BUT , when I was just getting into this stuff , I did'nt care) LP collections and a decent EP on the same label. I even have some of their Late 70'S stuff , most of which is pretty good . Still , a complete collection with GOOD sound and maybe minus a few ballads is 30 years overdue. Oh , well....

• March 10, 2012 2:45 PM CST
    • For me, it's the classics whose records are just too expensive.  Absolutely The Cramps.  Very rarely do I see their originals in stores.  When I do, they're ridiculously priced.  And even the reissues cost a lot.  Also, Flamin' Groovies.  It's so hard to find their records.  After looking for about 2 or 3 years, I finally found a copy of "Still Shakin."  And lastly, anything by the Stooges.

• March 10, 2012 7:37 PM CST
    • I mean, there's a lot of bands that I own their whole catalog, Muddy waters would be impossible, I have 20 MW LPs and theres tons more out there I'm sure even I have never heard of. 

• March 10, 2012 7:36 PM CST
    • Two words: Muddy. Waters.
      Why: Because he is the king of the Delta Blues AND THE father of the Chicago Blues, inspired Chuck Berry and countless thousands of 60s rock guitarists.

Next to that, The Clash, next to that, maybe Bowie, not sure. 

• March 10, 2012 5:07 PM CST
    • Ramones.  All the vinyl LPs and probably around 40 7" in pic sleeves.

• March 10, 2012 1:22 PM CST
    • Man or Astro-Man? wins by a long shot.  Fugazi and David Bazan (all projects) are probably the next in line.  

• March 10, 2012 10:37 AM CST
    • Kinks, Stones, The Jam, The Who, Ramones. Not necessarliy in that order.

• March 10, 2012 12:19 AM CST

• Soul Preacher --- You know your Damned! There are two 7" picture sleeves off the top of my head that would really kind of complete this batch. One being the Japanese press of Neat Neat Neat as Mole pointed out a few posts back and the German version of New Rose.

That pink vinyl press of "Don't Cry Wolf" is in the third photo. Is that 'Something Weird" boot 7" on Scatterbrain Child? If so, yea I don't have that. That "Black Album" you mention, I thought I had that, but looking I see I don't. Is that the Big Beat pressing or one of the non UK/US pressings?

The screamin' Soul Preacher said:

Pretty damned solid collection Mike !!!

Being myself quite obsessed by The Damned (and late 70s UK punk in general) in my teens, I think I may own one or two vinyls I can't see on these cool pix. 

In the 45 category, I'm thinking about a pink (vinyl is pink, cover is the generic Stiff records black cover) 7" edition of "Don't cry Wolf"/"One way Love"; another 7 " (a bootleg) called "Something Weird" (ltd edition of 200) from around 1986 I believe featuring live renditions of "L.A. woman", "Just can't be happy today" and "Lively Arts".

Oh, and my "Eloise" 7" has a slightly different cover.

In the LP section, I have also a picture vinyl of "Damned Damned Damned"; a simple edition of the "Black Album" (minus the "Curtain Call" platter) with a plain black cover; a few compilations ("Another great record from the Damned", "Light at the end of the tunnel"...) and a few live bootlegs ("Too much to drink in Southend", "Ballroom Blitz").

And I have to say, it's the 2nd time only I see that (bootleg) 7" version of "Love song"/"Burglar" (2nd pic, top right). The 1st copy I've met, decades ago, is in my living room now, partying hard with its happy waxen companions. 

Cheers !!!

• March 10, 2012 12:09 AM CST
    • Damn, I forgot to pull that one out for the photo!............. allright smart ass, you know that is a high dollar and rare one. That thing was going for hundreds back in the early-mid 80's as I recall.  I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never own that one, I'll just have to be content with my Japanese 'Blitzkrieg Bop' instead.

Mole said:

Impressive pics! Couldn't see the Japanese 'Neat Neat Neat' though....!!

Mike said:

The Damned followed by the Ramones. Mostly because they both have released so many damned (get it?) records and 7" sleeve variations etc etc that sucker a collector nerd like me to buy. No picture of me, but a set a photos I'd snapped for another forum. I have to give credit though to an old friend who sold me his entire Damned 7" collection back in the 80's. I knew it hurt him, but he knew it was going to a good home. That's where a good chunk of my Damned and Capt. Sensible singles came from.

• March 9, 2012 11:52 PM CST
    • Now that'd be a discography to put together. I think I've had three different versions of the  'Apartment Wresting RnR" LP alone, and none are probably the original pressing.

Brother Panti-Christ said:

I think I own more records from Beat-Man (The Monsters, Lightning Beat-Man, Reverend Beat-Man) than anything in my collection. I think the plus there is he gives them to me... ;)

• March 10, 2012 3:23 PM CST
    • Thanks John,

Was that previous discussion here? I'll look it up if so. There are a few names you listed I'm not familiar with like Chili Willi & Nine Below Zero, so thanks! And, there are a few I'm somewhat familiar with but have never really sought out and explored like Ducks Deluxe. So again, thanks for that.

• March 10, 2012 2:49 PM CST
    • THERE'S A LOT OF FORGOTTEN AND UNKNOWN (AT LEAST , IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE.)PUB ROCK GROUPS , WE WERE DISCUSSING THIS A WHILE BACK , TRYING TO COMPILE A TOP 25.....IT'S VERY HARD TO KEEP CHISWICK OUT OF THE EQUATION , BUT , IF IT HELPS , THERE'S LITTLE BOB STORY (FRANCE , STILL ACTIVE.) , ROOGALATOR , CHILLI WILLI , COUNT BISHOPS / BISHOPS , (EARLY) CANNIBALS , HAMMERSMITH GORILLAS/GORILLAS , DUCKS DELUXE (RECENTLY REFORMED) , SEAN TYLA / TYLA GANG (EX - DUCKS DELUXE) , NINE BELOW ZERO (LATER.) , INMATES , EARLY STRANGLERS / PURPLE HELMETS (STRANGLERS MEMBERS DISGUISED AS AN OBSCURE PUB / GARAGE BAND , THE WAY THE DAMNED DID WITH NAZ NOMAD AND THE NIGHTMARES.).

I know a lot of these bands are'nt that obscure , but , maybe they'll remind people of some groups they can refer you to who made few or no records but are well - remembered by whoever saw them....Here in the states , it's ALL obscure....Of the lot of 'em , I think only Dr. Feelgood and The Inmates ever toured , here. The Feelgoods toured the US with Wilko , and with Gypie.

• March 10, 2012 1:48 PM CST
    • One minor correction, THEY didn't put this one out. This is a boot, but yea a very cool one and a must have in my opinion.

• March 10, 2012 10:34 AM CST
    • I'm in!  @ Chris, leave a slot for KKBB if you go ahead with this, I'm sure we can get our French Label to help with promotion. We can probably get the Love Me Nots interested too. We're label mates & are planning some Euro tours together. BTW, you gonna be around in May? Perhaps you can make it down to Cosmic Trip? It would be great to see you. It's been ages. Say hi to Reni & anyone else I know in Bern.

• March 10, 2012 3:23 AM CST
    • It should be like the Olympics and take place in a different city every four years. I place my bid for Tokyo 2018!

• March 10, 2012 10:23 AM CST
    • Is that a Highway One Jazz Bass in Honey Blonde BTW?

• March 10, 2012 7:32 AM CST
    • It is that time again, boys and girls.  I will be on the air and the web on Saturday March 10th from 1:00-3:00PM EST.  You can listen at 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu .

• March 10, 2012 2:41 AM CST
    • damn savage kick series been eluding me for time,its gold dust here in the u.k.ya cant get it for love nor money.

The screamin' Soul Preacher said:

In the early R'n'B/ black R'n'R vein, you should probably try the SAVAGE KICK serie, full of great screamers and wailing saxes !!!

I SMELL A RAT and ROLL YOUR MONEYMAKER on Stag-O-Lee records.

BLOWIN' THROUGH YOKOHAMA on Atomic Passion.

WHIP WOBBLE & GRIND on Club Harlem.

T-BIRD PARTY on Lido.

The JERK ! BOOM ! BAM ! serie on Jerk Boom Bam records.

And of course, as you've already mentioned, every Candy records comp is worth a try.

And many many more I can't think of right now.

• March 10, 2012 12:38 AM CST
    • Show #364: "The Eggman Collection #110" playlist:

King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man including Mirrors"
      The Neighb'rhood Childr'n - "Chocolate Angel"
      Sun Dragon - "Far Away Mountain"
      Alive 'N Kickin' - "Tighter, Tighter"
      John Lennon - "Mind Games"
      Pete Brown & Piblokto! - "Thousands On A Raft"
      Wimple Winch - "Bluebell Wood"
      Apple - "Photograph"
      Joe Prichard & Gilbraltar - "The Machine Is Small Enough"
      The Juveniles - "Bo Diddley"
      She - "Don't Go Home Tonight"
      The dB's - "She's Not Worried"
      Bob Dylan - "Mr. Tambourine Man"
      The Koala - "Yesterday's Rain"
      The Moon - "Papers/Faces"
      T2 - "Highway"
      The Robots - "It's Hard To Say"
      The In Crowd - "Things She Says"
      Tarkus - "Cambiemos Ya"
      Flamin' Groovies - "Teenage Confidential"
      Stackridge - "To The Sun And The Moon"
      The Endd - "Don't It Make You Feel Like Cryin'"
      The Rattles - "I'll Catch Her"
      David Bowie - "Life On Mars?"
      Keith Grant's Downliners Sect - "White Caterpillar"
      Pearls Before Swine - "Guardian Angels"
      Queen - "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy"
      Faust - "Chromatic"
      Novalis - "Wer Schmetterlinge Lachen Hort"
      Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera - "Air"
      This - "Lost"
      Grateful Dead - "Alligator/Caution (Do Not Stop On The Tracks)"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/364.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/364.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg