Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 7, 2012 8:52 AM CST
    • Well, if it's kinda like make-believe I guess we would do one on each continent (or at least North America and Europe). I would organize the Euro side of things (after I received generous donations from GaragePunk Hideout members totaling 20,000 Euros). I would probably do it in northern Italy or Switzerland - Springtime or early summer starting in 2014 because of logistics! Or Autumn in Germany. Preferably Berlin! Can't wait! 

• March 7, 2012 7:06 AM CST
    • What city would you have it take place?

• March 6, 2012 12:03 PM CST
    • That was the most unpredictable response I've ever saw coming.  Very profound.

But yeah, I'd do what I could to help! :)

Gringo Starr said:

Are you gonna organize it?

• March 6, 2012 10:00 AM CST
    • If it happens i want to play... haha

• March 6, 2012 7:52 AM CST
    • Gringo Starr said:

Are you gonna organize it?

Haha, yeah! These sorts of things are a HUGE undertaking. Yes, the subject has come up or has been suggested before, lots of times. The problem is the logistics of such a festival. I organized a festival in St. Louis in 2007 that included a whole bunch of garage/punk/rock'n'roll bands from the state of Missouri (it was called the Show-Me Blowout) and that alone was enough to make me realize I never wanted to attempt anything like it again.

But yeah, if anyone else here wants to organize it, go ahead. And good luck! :)

• March 6, 2012 6:15 AM CST
    • Are you gonna organize it?

• March 6, 2012 1:03 AM CST
    • If there isn't already, or plans underway, this would be amazing.  You know, sorta like Goner Fest, but GaragePunk Hideout fest! :)

• March 7, 2012 6:34 AM CST
    • That's a pretty tough and expensive collection.  Any photos?

Pat said:

Guitar Wolf i guess...

• March 7, 2012 6:30 AM CST
    • Impressive !

Mike said:

The Damned followed by the Ramones. Mostly because they both have released so many damned (get it?) records and 7" sleeve variations etc etc that sucker a collector nerd like me to buy. No picture of me, but a set a photos I'd snapped for another forum. I have to give credit though to an old friend who sold me his entire Damned 7" collection back in the 80's. I knew it hurt him, but he knew it was going to a good home. That's where a good chunk of my Damned and Capt. Sensible singles came from.

• March 7, 2012 6:29 AM CST
    • Guitar Wolf i guess...

• March 6, 2012 3:54 PM CST
    • I love this and all things Ty and Mikal.

Dave Giù la Testa said:

Yeah I've wanted to check out their stuff, the S/T Moonhearts record is among my absolute favorites of the past couple years and Ty is already a legend.

This video is awesome, the Epsilon dudes doing a fake Laguna Beach episode:

Bringing things back on topic, doesn't qualify as Garage, but I've got about 150 releases/live boots from New Order. It's like 5 days worth of music. Granted it's all digital.

• March 6, 2012 12:05 AM CST
    • I'd have to count but it's probably the Beatles, Kinks, Dylan or the Stones. Mainly because there are very few bands that have ever put out more than 3 or 4 good albums.

• March 5, 2012 10:25 PM CST
    • Bob Dylan. It started off as a competition between my dad and I to see who could find the most obscure recording. So far I have approximately 200 records, CD and tapes from various concerts and outtakes. Not to mention the officlal recordings

• March 6, 2012 10:59 PM CST
    • Hey Rod,

The Woggles are so good, they are in a class of their own. I personally don't think they need the matching outfits. When I played in The Odd Squad (a side band I had with The Mighty Manfred) we did not wear matching outfits, and we tore the house down.

JC

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

What about the Woggles? 

• March 6, 2012 4:14 PM CST
    • Unless you dress up like barbarians, Romans, or Tarzans

Doug Dickerson said:

Sandals are a fireable offense! ;)

Thee Mighty Shake Spears said:

Just wear SOMETHING!!  It's called a SHOW.  Don't get up on stage if you're just gunna wear your stupid cargo shorts & sandals with a backwards ball cap & play your stupid 6 string bass up high while reading charted music on a music stand.....there's A LOT of that shit here in nashville....yech!!!  XD

• March 6, 2012 3:59 PM CST
    • What about the Woggles?  Yeah, they have the chops to back it up but a lot of people remember the show from the uniforms and stunts they pull off.

John Carlucci said:

HA! nope Not my up of tea.  I;m not against theatre in Rock N Roll, after all I was a huge Alice Cooper fan when I was in High Schhol, IT's just the Matching outfit thing that makes me want to run away screaming POSUER!!!

Gringo Starr said:

Oh come on John! I likes me some theater!!!!

John Carlucci said:

When I was a kid I went to Catholic School. I wore a uniform for eight years. I got into Rock N Roll to rebel against the status quo. I am and always have been a non conformist. To each his own, but I prefer bands with individuality.

• March 6, 2012 2:36 PM CST
    • Del Tigers - theme is circus performers 

• March 6, 2012 3:23 AM CST
    • i gotta say....i kinda remember when the bruddahs sang....do you remember r'n'r radio,what was that musta been 'bout 81/82,i was fuckin horrified,ok so we,d had dont come close off of road to ruin,which was an obvious nod to there phil spector pop sensibilities and a not 'arf bad tune i reckons.

but r'n'r radio was disgusting,it was diet ramones,a blatant prostitution of there raid firing riffola and surely a shameless attempt at gettin there arses on the a.m./f.m.cartels.i was leavin' school at the time and loved the bruddahs,still do (who dont?),but this corporate cash in hurt me (to the core of my very being),still does,never liked that tune.

so i been thinkin....da bruddahs obviously wanted a piece of the pie which everyone else was enjoying at the time,you cant blame 'em for that.but it kinda answers its own question,in that back in the day radio was sooo ham that the bruddahs felt they needed to make such 'moderate rock' in order to get played on the radio.....yes even a band as uncompromising as the bruddahs did this....which has led me to this conclusion.......

radio......as fuckin rubbish today as its always been

peace.

• March 6, 2012 2:34 AM CST
    • Remember who the mainstream radio is trying to market to... The MAINSTREAM. It's their job to appeal to as many people as possible so that they can get higher Arbitron ratings and sell more commercials to stay alive. Though I personally don't like many mainstream radio stations, I totally understand why they play the music they play. The reason college and pirate stations play whatever they want is because they get their funding from sources other than ad revenue.

Another interesting point is that mainstream radio is different depending on where you might be. I live in Miami and the biggest station plays techno, house, and reggaeton on the weekends to appeal to the gigantic audience that exists in Miami for that stuff. When I visited my brother in San Diego though, I was blown away when I heard Phoenix and the Gorillaz on a mainstream station. A good way to test this theory is to check out Clear Channel's IHeartRadio app and tune in to a station from a hip city like Portland or something.

Basically, the lesson to learn is that the internet makes a lot of mainstream things look completely idiotic (tv, radio, newspapers...) because it allows people to find EXACTLY what they're into and people who are into it too.

• March 5, 2012 4:49 PM CST
    • I really don't even feel it has to do if you're on radio anymore like it use to be since there are so many choices but whether or not you can get on television.  The majority of teenage girls want cute boys and most teenage boys want crappy rap metal and that's all that seems to make it on the airwaves (or dish or cables, whatever).

• March 5, 2012 4:24 PM CST
    • this past summer there were a good number of alternative bands being played on stations like Sirius XMU (their alt pop channel) that dj would constantly bring up being garage influenced.  I liked the recurring reference and you could hear it in their sound.  But that is as close as it comes to the point Lastofmykind was getting at when he started this thread.

• March 5, 2012 10:22 PM CST
    • OK the experience as a whole was AMAZING. I was seasick for like at least a week after afterwards, but it was totally worth the money. I mean it was a rock n roll tropical adventure... does it get any better?

• March 5, 2012 10:18 PM CST
    • Damn, that looks amazing! How was it?

• March 5, 2012 5:30 PM CST
    • So did anyone go?  How was it?  Worth the money? How were the bands?  Did you get seasick?

• March 5, 2012 3:14 PM CST
    • the flytraps, A girl band not for pussies