Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 8, 2012 5:48 PM CST
    • nahh I was talking about kopper's video. 

in this video its only the chick/dude singing..

• January 9, 2012 9:51 AM CST
    • Tandoori Nights on Norton Records Bloodshot Bill and BBQ Shows latest congrab.

• January 9, 2012 5:03 AM CST
    • For a while noe I'be been listening a lot to The Church Keys- Work With It, & Tav Falco & the Unapproachable Panther Burns- Songs For Deranged Lovers. I'm really excited for the new Chrome Cranks album to come out next. 

Tony Jonaitis said:

The first Modern Lovers LP!  Or...the first Velvet Underground LP...or The Soft Boys "Underwater Moonlight...or....hey, this question is too hard to answer!!!!  You tell us what you would suggest!"

• January 7, 2012 8:57 PM CST
    • hmn... if it was just one I would pick The Gories - Houserockin' and if I could expand to just three then I would add Supercharger's self titled and probably The Mummies - Never Been Caught

• January 9, 2012 9:47 AM CST
    • Good idea Dan!

There are a couple of albums on vinyl which feature shared live sets by the Prisoners and the Milkshakes - 'Last Night At The MIC' and 'Thee Milkshakes Vs The Prisoners' which to my limited knowledge weren't even re-issued on CD (tell me if I'm wrong). I'd especially like to see these reappear on vinyl as IMHO the Prisoners completely outshine the Milkshakes on these recordings and add evidence to my theory that Graham Day is criminally under-rated compared to the omnipresent Billy Childish.

Matt

• January 9, 2012 8:34 AM CST
    • Hi

you are definitly right.

Eric

• January 8, 2012 3:31 AM CST
    • I was thinking today whilst listening to a prisoners live tape that what with vinyl sales up and all that it's time to re issue the prisoners lp's and 7"s etc.
      There has been some awesome vinyl re issue's available of late but no prisoners...even the cd re issues aren't all that available to the average record shopper.
      There may well be a reason as to why this is that I don't know, but I'd be keen to if there is.
      If there's not, please, let's get these records back out there.
      With the recent renewed interest in garage and vinyl, I'd bet that there's a bunch of listeners out there who like I did (all those years back) would flip there wigs at first hearing one of the greatest garage bands.

• January 9, 2012 9:47 AM CST
    • Try the Washouts on Golly Gee Records.

• January 9, 2012 6:55 AM CST
    • The Magnetix

• January 8, 2012 11:06 PM CST
    • The Mummies, The Spaceshits, Les Sexareenos, The Morlocks, Thee Milkshakes, The Mortals, The Kitchen Cinq, The Spits, most of the 60s comps. If I think of any more, I'll add them later.

• January 8, 2012 10:17 PM CST
    • Tunnel of Love on Black Gladiator Records is pretty damn good and pretty damn gnarly. Recorded on a way-too-far-in-the-red cassette 4-track.

• January 8, 2012 3:13 PM CST
    • Have you tried compilations like Highs in the Mid-Sixties, the Big Itch (more wacky/instro, but still essential), Back From the Grave, I was a Teenage Caveman?

Get Hip or Dionysus have online catalogs, as does Crypt. John Battles will have plenty o' info for ya, as well.

• January 7, 2012 6:44 PM CST
    • Old or new, I can't get enough of that sound but can't find much of it either. I'm talkin' crappy mic through a tiny guitar amp, terribly recorded, badass sound. New or old from the sonics to ty segall just throw me some good shit please!

• January 9, 2012 5:30 AM CST
    • Not pure Garage but a lo-fi fav:

The Clean plus most of the other Dunedin Bands. Check out the Flying Nun Compilation!

Has anybody mentioned Jay Reatard beore?

• January 7, 2012 2:12 PM CST
    • Oh , The Damned did a whole album as Naz Nomad and The Nightmares , "Soundtrack to "Give Daddy The Knife , Cindy" " , a fictional 60's AIP - type Teen/Drug flick , mostly covers of Nuggets - era faves...I'm not saying you did'nt know that , but , if anybody did'nt , it's a good parody , the music actually works , and it even fooled the compliers of "The Acid Trip" book , who mentioned The Damned , separately !   (The Damned performed as Naz Nomad a few times , too...).

I met Vanian and Jugg when they were touring with Dave Vanian and The Phantom Chords . Roman Jugg was a super nice guy. Dave Vanian was cordial , a bit standoffish , but , pleasant enough. We were talking about the fact that his Birthday was coming up , and I noted that Bela Lugosi's Birthday was in close proximity to his. He said , "Yes , I know. I'm the same year as him , actually....... I mean , I was BORN in the year that he DIED.". FOR A MINUTE , i THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO TRY TO TELL ME THE VAMPIRE BIT WAS'NT A PUT - ON .

Dead Boy said:

Also, Vanian released "Tenterhook" with Roman Jugg, and as Naz Nomad And The Nightmares released "Just Call Me Sky" on a comp. "The Whip".

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Whip/release/525120

Both are cheap garage tunes.

• January 8, 2012 3:34 PM CST
    • i was born  punk.Honest.So the first time i heard a punk song it was like a shock it was so new yet so familiar!!

• January 7, 2012 2:37 PM CST
    • Some of my metal friends, who were into punk, invited me to see Bikini Kill with Sleeping Body playing in someone's garage some time around 1989.  There was a zine library, a vegan potluck, a record distro, music trading plus a general vibe of friendship and support.  After that, I just got the idea that punks had it going on and metal heads were a bunch of immature tossers who couldn't get laid and tried to act tough when the reality was they were anything but.  When my metal friends were only good for landing in jail or dying young, it wasn't a hard choice to leave metal in the dust.

• January 8, 2012 12:21 PM CST
    • Hi,

with my bands SOnic Angels, we are going to tour in Us next march 2012. We have yet contacts around the country, but still looking for shows and gigs to do.

our tour will be in 5 weeks :

start in New York - Detroit - chicago -

go down to the south by van : Memphis, Louisianne, Austin

flight to california

up top the north

and New York again

I know its a long way but we love to drive and be on the road....

We never been in Us, so we don't know how its work, we just know its dificult to be paid even for the gaz sometimes and there is no food, no drinks, nothing sometimes....., anyway we have some friends everywhere who can give us a place to stay.

just want to have fun and do some promotion for our band, trying to not loose too much money.

if somebody can give us contacts or can directly book us a gig....

facebook event :

http://www.facebook.com/events/270856436285662/

Bandcamp :

http://sonicangels.bandcamp.com/album/hardbreak

• January 8, 2012 4:00 AM CST
    • Check out Norton Records they have some great reissues on 7" and LP. So do Ace, more on CD with them.

• January 7, 2012 11:17 PM CST
    • Download anything by Otis Redding and/or the Smokey Robinson.

• January 7, 2012 10:06 PM CST
    • This past year my appreciation for early R&B and Soul skyrocketed... I couldn't stop playing it, searching for it, and dancing to it. I got a bunch of comps now... Shakin Fit, Whip It On Em, Show Me What You Got you know the Candy Record label releases, also All Night Soul Stomp, Pow City, Downtown Soulville.... any other must have Comps, tracks, albums?!?!

• January 7, 2012 10:14 PM CST
    • the original Turn Right To Open is dead, well obviously for anyone that ever went there... sorry I got lazy :( plus comments slowly depleted which sucked as well (though might come back someday, who knows!) (also many of the links STILL WORK) ... anyways now I have one of those hip Tumblr things! Whoo! 

http://turnrighttoopen.tumblr.com/

sorry its not as cool though, mostly music tracks and music videos of songs I like. sometimes I put personal mixes to download. Check it out if you want. Follow if you want. comments suggests appreciated. 

• January 7, 2012 2:15 PM CST
    • It doesn't matter who is playing on the track as long as whomever holds the publishing rights agrees to the terms... IF I decide to use the track, that is.

Ghislaine Korb / THE PUSH-BACKS said:

Hi Kopper!i would love to submit one of the songs i've uploaded on my playlist,but as Rat Scabies(Damned)is drumming on them,i dunno if that'd be an''issue''....Can you tell me???also,those tunes will be played by the (new)Push-Backs,but those versions were recorded some time ago,is that a problem to feature on a Hideout comp???(even if they stay current on my project's list)??

Anyway i should record as a solo artist some newer shit soon-that is if you ''accept'' solo artist stuff that isnt yet in the process of being performed live(as i am re-recruting new members for my band at the moment)...Not wanting to sound un-proffessional,just wondering-thanks for aswering:)