Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 11, 2012 12:19 PM CST
    • Someone gave me a tape with Suicidal Tendencies on one side and The Exploited on the other.  It was all downhill from there.  I realized it was ok to be pissed off at what was going on around my.  I liked a lot of the hardcore stuff too (Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front...), but there was a lot of directionless violence and the straight-edge thing was crazy in Florida (late 80's).  The Damned, Motorhead, and The Cramps were and still are my favorite bands and that led me to explore the more rock-n-roll side of punk.  Those were good days and I miss going nuts in the pit and I miss all of the raw energy.

• January 11, 2012 12:03 PM CST
    • I LOVE the Nomads...and especially this song.

Thomas Marshall said:

The Nomads - WHERE THE WOLF BANE BLOOMS (MLP) Amigo AMMP 302/1983

• January 11, 2012 12:01 PM CST
    • And I loved these guys in the 80's, but I kind-of forgot about them during my anger fueled punk days.

• January 11, 2012 11:52 AM CST
    • I came across this after listening to the Von Zippers on youtube...

• January 11, 2012 9:19 AM CST
    • Should be soon! Peter Aaron of the Chrome Cranks is a member here... maybe we can get him to chime in. Here's the previous discussion on the topic:

http://garagepunk.ning.com/forum/topics/new-chrome-cranks

Davi Rodriguez - ORANGE DISASTER said:

Any idea of when is the next Chrome Cranks' out?

Bobby said:

For a while noe I'be been listening a lot to The Church Keys- Work With It, & Tav Falco & the Unapproachable Panther Burns- Songs For Deranged Lovers. I'm really excited for the new Chrome Cranks album to come out next. 

Tony Jonaitis said:

The first Modern Lovers LP!  Or...the first Velvet Underground LP...or The Soft Boys "Underwater Moonlight...or....hey, this question is too hard to answer!!!!  You tell us what you would suggest!"

• January 11, 2012 11:50 AM CST
    • Salv-8Track Army

Weirdonia said:

I'll form the rival church, Our Lady of Cassettes

Old School Hero said:

Who wants to start the Born Again Vinyl church with me?

• January 11, 2012 9:08 AM CST
    • well....since vinyl sales are on the rise again, maybe it's time the automakers go back to this idea....

• January 11, 2012 6:02 AM CST
    • This scares me, I'm usually trying to avoid all this stuff like smartphones just because I don't think I like the idea about being connected all the time that it becomes hard to stop. Although I think a lot of new cars come with USB ports so I think even people like me should still be able to cope in the future world of driving.

Nevertheless CDs were a good way of having portable albums that you could hear in the car. MP3s do tend to make you want to mix your own stuff and so completely skip over things you didn't think much of the first time but might have given a second chance had the been on a album you're spinning.

kopper said:

Just saw this news:

Automakers shedding CD players

By msnbc.com news services

CD players in cars look set to go the same way as the dodo bird, according to a report in industry trade publication Automotive News.

With content and computing power migrating to smartphones, which can now channel music, navigation and other applications to relatively simple and low-cost onboard infotainment systems, CD players are becoming increasingly irrelevant in cars, the report says.

Automakers also want to get rid of optical drives — that is, CD or DVD players — because they are expensive and appeal mainly to older motorists, according to the report.

Indeed, the 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS, which debuted this week at the Detroit auto show and will go on sale in the United States this summer features an optional MyLink infotainment system that lets motorists make hands-free phone calls, listen to MP3 music and get route guidance by linking their smartphones to the vehicle's infotainment system. But no CD player, Automotive News said.

“We asked potential Sonic and Spark customers what they were looking for in infotainment,” Sara LeBlanc, MyLink's global infotainment program manager, told Automotive News. “They were very worried about cost. They said to us: ‘Get rid of the CD player. We don’t use it.’”

• January 10, 2012 10:10 PM CST
    • Just saw this news:

Automakers shedding CD players

By msnbc.com news services

CD players in cars look set to go the same way as the dodo bird, according to a report in industry trade publication Automotive News.

With content and computing power migrating to smartphones, which can now channel music, navigation and other applications to relatively simple and low-cost onboard infotainment systems, CD players are becoming increasingly irrelevant in cars, the report says.

Automakers also want to get rid of optical drives — that is, CD or DVD players — because they are expensive and appeal mainly to older motorists, according to the report.

Indeed, the 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS, which debuted this week at the Detroit auto show and will go on sale in the United States this summer features an optional MyLink infotainment system that lets motorists make hands-free phone calls, listen to MP3 music and get route guidance by linking their smartphones to the vehicle's infotainment system. But no CD player, Automotive News said.

“We asked potential Sonic and Spark customers what they were looking for in infotainment,” Sara LeBlanc, MyLink's global infotainment program manager, told Automotive News. “They were very worried about cost. They said to us: ‘Get rid of the CD player. We don’t use it.’”

• January 11, 2012 11:47 AM CST
    • Meant to thank you on this, Spite! I've downloaded all 16 volumes and talk about a treasure trove of music! Sure there was stuff on there I already had, but there was also quite a bit I had always wanted, but couldn't find it.

• January 11, 2012 6:32 AM CST
    • I don't think German country attempts should be allowed to count because that is mainstream aweful. As for Kopper's video, I was trying to work out if it was a parody or not. It seems a bit unneccesary all that violent hardcore dancing when there's no one around. Also they keep making tit gestures as if their song was about large breasts.

• January 10, 2012 11:21 PM CST
    • Mine is the Fuzz/Tremelo combo on many Cramps records ....Best exemplified by The Animals "Don't Bring Me Down" . A hit , yes , but still an underrated sound on that record. Of course , a lot of Garage Punk 45s tried for the kingdom , if they could , using the same sound.

DADADADADDAADADADADADADADADDADADAADDAADD......

• January 10, 2012 11:15 PM CST
    •  DON'T BE TOO SURPRISED IF BUBBLE PUPPY TURN UP , THEY'VE REFORMED RECENTLY, AND SOUND GREAT. Kenny and the Kasuals usually turn up . The Ponderosa Stomp should have a great show planned , as usual. The MONSTER gigs usually are'nt promoted (Stooges , New York Dolls , Rezillos , Saints , Blue Cheer , and so on.....) , or , barely are , but a million people will find out before any of us would , I hate to say. Follow any and all leads

• January 10, 2012 10:49 PM CST
    • Andrew , reminds me of a very early score at 2nd Hand Tunes (Where I think you and I might have met...) Some guy had first dibs on THE FUCKIN' LOLLIPOP SHOPPE LP !!!!!! THEY PLAYED ALMOST THE WHOLE RECORD , WHILE  THIS GUY DECIDED IF HE WANTED IT OR NOT....It was TORTURE !!!!! But , I talked to the guy , friendly like. He was'nt showing his cards. I finally offered to pay him more that he'd have paid for it ( Hey , Seuss ! It was only $3.50.) , but  , he saw it first , it was his call. Finally , he said it was annoying , and I could buy it. I shook his hand. God bless you for not having a clue !).

dave said:

Hey,John, I remember listening to a CD (shh!) at Sound Exchange one evening, and seeing this guy come up to the turntable w/ a battered copy of the 1st Dolls LP. After a minute or so, he took off the headphones and I said, "Hey, man, nice score! You don't see that used too often." Wow, the look he gave me, it wasn't like he was a hipster, it was like he couldn't figure out why anyone would give 2 shits about that album. Like you said, "Whatta douche!"

"You passed Pere Ubu live for Poison Idea?!" - Curses . Foiled again.They figured me out.

The Ebay segment is funny.

I smelled a record the other day , because it looked water - damaged. I got a bit self - conscious about it.

The bit about Heroin addicts who once supported a more noble addiction , sad but true....OK  ,not sad if you got some great records , cheap , but , still......

I don't really know what I say , because it's really a private pursuit. Sometimes I'll tell someone if they're considering something really good , that they should....

Once , I saw an English guy with a stack of CRAP Disco records that he's sure to make a huge profit from , back home (Nothing against my English mates. They KNOW it's true.). Separate from the stack was Moby Grapes' first LP (Yes , with the finger! But , I learned , recently , that's the lesser rarity of the two.)....I HAVE IT , BUT MINE IS A BIT BEAT....I gave him the thumbs up for finding it , he sneered. What a douche. Nothing against his nationality (My internal workings are partly English , too.), but , what a douche. He's have probably gone straight for the "Dance" section in the glory days of Wax Trax Records.

• January 10, 2012 10:43 PM CST
    • Whats funny is , I meet these English know - it - alls . I don't judge all British record collectors by them. I met some Londoners who told me they saw Arthur Lee and The ELECTRIC pRUNES , AND BOTH SHOWS WERE SHIT. Whatever, I saw Arthur at least 5 times , and The Prunes , once . Goes without saying each and every show was a gem to make your best girl's fanny ****TWINKLE!*****. tHE FACT THAT IT COULD'NT BE 1967 WHEN THEY SAW 'EM HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT. yes ! Lighter fluid - What the Hell? I do know someone who uses it , but only on his dollar records. We've all suffered prats , twats , prannies and fannies , right?    I met some English Rockabillies , and told 'em I like the early English Rock 'n' Rollers . He goes , "Oh ?  D'yer like Cliff Richard?". I thought it might have been a TRICK QUESTION , BUT , I told him , "Yes !" . He said , "Good ! So do we !". It's like being too cool to like Ricky Nelson because you could have taken him home (And watched him make off with your Sister , if she was half as hot as Lorrie Collins.).

• January 10, 2012 9:30 PM CST
    • REEECOOOOORDS

• January 10, 2012 7:05 PM CST
    • "ugh re-press! I hate re-presses!"

• January 10, 2012 10:31 PM CST
    • Just uploaded a track too. seems to have worked fine. *fingers crossed*

• January 10, 2012 9:14 PM CST
    • Just uploaded it (im pretty sure). Hope we make it. And major respect for even taking this on.

James Mess

• January 10, 2012 6:50 PM CST
    • See my reply posted above from this past Saturday...

Derek Kosky said:

Hi Kopper,

Is there still time to submit a song for possible inclussion for either the forthcoming comp or a later one?