Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 23, 2011 1:33 PM CDT
    • Playlist for 10/21/11

New 7”’s this week from the likes of Wheels on Fire (Milk n’ Herpes), Organs (Chickpea), the Super Vacations (Sweaters & Pearls), the latest album from the Monsters and a Chuck Berry 85th birthday salute!

Download or stream the entire Oct. 21 show right here.

The Witch – Stud Cole
      Found Dead – Radio Birdman
      Burn in Hell – Rocket Science
      I’ve Got the Devil Inside – Delaney Davidson
      Demonic Possession – Drive By Truckers

When I’m a Grownup – The Monsters
      Mexican Leather – Bantam Rooster
      All the Way to Denver – The Candy Snatchers
      Get Up & Move – The Live Ones
      Whizz Kid – The Hickoids

Green Fuz – Thee Gravemen
      Extrano – The Moonstones
      I’m Cramped – Kid Congo Powers & the Pink Monkey Birds
      For the Love of Ivy – Kid Congo Powers & the Pink Monkey Birds
      Primitiv – Southern Culture on the Skids
      Back Beat No. 1 – The Fleshtones

Local Lunchbox
      Too Late – Beach Patrol
      Maybe I’m Wrong – Bleed
      Pushin’ My Luck – The Hussy
      Girls Like U – Boris the Sprinkler

T.V. Screen – Thee Spivs
      Boss Hoss – Los Explosivos
      Bourbon Hop– Bee Dee Kay & the Roller Coaster
      Black Hearse Cadillac – The Staggers
      Jaguar & Thunderbird – Thee Headcoats

Thirty Days – Chuck Berry
      Hey Pedro – Chuck Berry
      13 Question Method – Chuck Berry
      Go Bobby Soxer Go – Chuck Berry
      Nadine – Chuck Berry
      I Got To Find My Baby – Chuck Berry
      Sweet Little Sixteen – Chuck Berry
      Oh Yeah – Chuck Berry
      Promised Land – Chuck Berry

Dead of Night – Wheels on Fire

LGBT Film Festival interview

Thirteen Women – The Renegades
      Outta My Hands – People’s Temple
      Shot Down – Apache Dropout
      Hexing – Super Vacations
      Rocket Science – Organs

Hermitage – Waxing Poetics
      Gorilla – Fat History Month
      Ontario – Steve Adamyk Band
      We Got the Beat – Eddy Current Suppression Ring
      He’s Sweet I Know – Yvonne & Yvette

King Krusher – King Krusher & the Turkeynecks
      Jokes – Trent Fox & the Tenants 
      Joanie – Personal & The Pizzas
      Never Had a Chance – Duchess & the Duke
      You Belong to Me – Paul Collins Beat
      Surrender Road – Wheels on Fire

• October 23, 2011 8:57 AM CDT
    • The Feederz kill. I just got the "Ever Feel like killing you boss?" LP and I can't put it down. Super snotty and offensive. 

The Mentally Ill are amazing too. Gacy's place is on KBD 2 and Alt Tentacles put out a collection of their songs in 04'. It's great all around cept for the reworked vocals they put on a few songs. wicked fuzz and SUPER offensive.

Angry Samoans- nuff said.

• October 22, 2011 2:22 PM CDT
    • Wow. That was Johnny's thing , then,being the "Folk Singer", and having someone in the audience loan him their hat , and somebody giving him a joint. Snorting disco drugs on stage ? Wow! How Devil May Care. Rickey Rat ? You mean , from the Trash Brats? I have a very funny tape of Johnny from '89 in Detroit. The comedy is better than the music !

"This is Sally . Sally Butthole . She's one of The Butthole Surfers."    "Le'me tell yuh bowt thuh first time ah got FUCKED. AH WUZ WITH THIS BLEACHED BLONDE AFTUH UH VAGRANTS CAHHNCERT.".        "Ah went tuh  the John Mayall University oh British Blooze Guitah -rists...Eric Clapton , Peter Green , Mick Taylor..."

Brian T. Kirchner said:

Yeah, I should have mentioned that Teenage Head were backing up Thunders. At the conclusion of the Viletones set Steve announced that he was going to smash a Gibson Les Paul onstage.He destroyed the guitar but it wasn't a Gibson--just a cheap knock-off. The Thunders set was amazing. Johnny had joints in his mouth through the whole set and would occasionally crouch down to do lines of coke off his amp. The next night we got to see The Forgotten Rebels at Larry's Hideaway. It was my first trip to Toronto, accompanied by Ricky Rat & his girlfriend. It was a weekend that I'll never forget.

• October 22, 2011 5:41 AM CDT
    • Melbourne band The Sick Things fit the bill 

By the way Chris Bailey drunk on cheap port is a very scary sight

• October 22, 2011 12:27 AM CDT
    • Yeah, I should have mentioned that Teenage Head were backing up Thunders. At the conclusion of the Viletones set Steve announced that he was going to smash a Gibson Les Paul onstage.He destroyed the guitar but it wasn't a Gibson--just a cheap knock-off. The Thunders set was amazing. Johnny had joints in his mouth through the whole set and would occasionally crouch down to do lines of coke off his amp. The next night we got to see The Forgotten Rebels at Larry's Hideaway. It was my first trip to Toronto, accompanied by Ricky Rat & his girlfriend. It was a weekend that I'll never forget.

• October 23, 2011 7:40 AM CDT
    • My favorite grunge band is, without any doubt, Mudhoney.

For the underrated/obscure I'd say Die Kreuzen, a grunge band before the grunge era...

• October 23, 2011 5:51 AM CDT

• swt said:

Angel Baby is missing in action.

Angel Baby is still in action at:

http://lostinparadise.podomatic.com/

Just maybe not very active on this forum anymore. I'm reasonably sure she mentioned there will be a Halloween episode. 

• October 22, 2011 11:19 PM CDT
    • Yeah, kind a is trendy with the hipster crowd, but speaking from experience, in Minneapolis when bands like Black Lips or King Khan and BBQ come through town 500 people show up, but when bands like Bare Wires or Personal and the Pizzas come through there's only like 50 people that show up, the same 50 peoples that were around when the Fevers were playing, so....Fuck the hipsters, garage will never really be "cool" and that is fine with me. None of those assholes jocking black lips have no idea who the Spaceshits or Billy Childish were! Stupids.

• October 22, 2011 7:23 PM CDT
    • thanks lad!

• October 22, 2011 7:28 PM CDT
    • I've seen Niagara's work on her website and it's really horrorshow. Very Cartoonish, but in a noirish manner. She should do a cartoon strip.

• October 22, 2011 7:22 PM CDT

• Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Nightmare...the song that started this discussion is pretty great.

Ben Simon said:
      What would you say are his best songs other than "Fire?"
      I would say , "The Great Spontaneous Apple Creation" , "Spirit of Joy" (Kingdom Come), and Arthur also did a great version of "The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown)on the Peter Green tribute (2) CD, "Rattlesnake Shake". But , it's hard for me to narrow it down to one song , because most of his albums are built around a central theme , and go from one point to another , almost seamlessly. The unreleased second Crazy World album , "Strange Worlds", recorded in '68 or '69 , finally saw the light of day on Reckless Records (UK) in 1988  , if I'm not mistaken...I have'nt listened to it in a long time , but I remember it being scarier and more Psychedelic than the first.
      Brown also had a great song on the late Rob Calvert(From Hawkwind)'s "Concept" album "Captain Lockheed" which is a fine Psych/Space Rock effort all around , with pretty much all of Hawkwind (Including Lemmy !) and several of The Pink Fairies.
      Destroy All Monsters covered "The Right Stuff" from this LP.

• October 22, 2011 7:20 PM CDT
    • Hey folks,

I just posted a special Halloween episode of Murder City Nights. Enjoy!

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profiles/blogs/murder-city-nights-11

MURDER CITY NIGHTS EPISODE 11

Set List: 

• Werewolves on Wheels - The Born Losers
      • See You In The Boneyard - The Flesh Eaters
      • Psychosis Safari - The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster
      • Gothic Party Time - Action Pact
      • Astro Zombies - The Misfits
      • The House on the Hill - The Mummies
      • Richard Hung Himself - D.I.
      • Spiritual Cramp - Christian Death
      • Dark Entries - Bauhaus
      • Thrill Kill - The Damned
      • Werewolves of London - Paul Roland
      • Somebody Super Like You (Beef Construction Song) - The Undead
      • A Fistful of Terror - The Bomboras
      • Piss On Them Lightly - The Phantom Limbs
      • Black Cross - 45 Grave
      • Suicide Drive - The Deep Eynde
      • Haulin' Hearse - The Ghastly Ones
      • Volts - Inca Babies
      • Beasts - Sex Gang Children
      • Carcass - Siouxsie and the Banshees
      • Spooky - Lydia Lunch

• October 22, 2011 3:10 PM CDT
    • Whoa, those are cool.

• October 22, 2011 2:32 PM CDT
    • This Cornfed dame is for you Lux!!!

Happy Birthday, stay sick.

• October 21, 2011 9:02 PM CDT
    • ahhh... such good songs this lord taught us!!! Gone but never forgotten...

• October 22, 2011 1:13 PM CDT
    • I haven't seen these mentioned and I don't know if these are too obvious, but I'd recommend the following:

Omar Khorshid

The Orient Express

The Devil's Anvil

John Berberian

• October 22, 2011 6:20 AM CDT
    • CHECK OUT THE PILLBUGS:):):)

• October 22, 2011 5:46 AM CDT
    • I saw Digger and the Pussycats last night.

Is there a better 2 piece?

One hour+ of stripped down,tight garage punk. Great banter between songs and real high energy levels, even playing to 70 people in an empty venue.

Great to see the look one the face of some unsuspecting punters when they played "Drive Like a Cunt".

• October 22, 2011 2:40 AM CDT
    • The Higher State (playing with the Fuzztones this Friday at the Dome) and the Black Lips. Check em out now!

• October 22, 2011 2:44 AM CDT
    • Show #346: "The Eggman Collection #104" playlist:

The Chocolate Watchband - "Dark Side Of The Mushroom"
      The Rolling Stones - "Tell Me"
      Kansas - "Hegemonium"
      After All - "Waiting"
      National Lampoon - "Deteriorata"
      The Unrelated Segments - "Cry, Cry, Cry"
      The Status Quo - "Pictures Of Matchstick Men"
      The Association - "Toymaker"
      Rod & Carolyn - "I Got You On My Mind"
      The Mothers Of Invention - "Dog Breath, In The Year Of The Plague"
      Ax Genrich - "Wapitis Ruckkehr"
      Sneakers - "The Perfect Stranger"
      M.C.² + - "Or Something"
      The Dirty Wurds - "Why"
      The Ballroom - "Believe You"
      Peter Hammill - "Forsaken Gardens"
      John Fahey - "America"
      Nick Garrie - "Bungles Tours"
      The Hard Times - "You're Bound To Cry"
      The Savage Rose - "Open Air Shop/You Be Free"
      Curt Boettcher - "Lament Of The Astral Cowboy"
      The Foundations - "In The Beginning"
      The Zipps - "Lotus Love"
      Vinegar Joe - "Circles"
      Beggars Opera - "Hobo"
      The Dragons - "Cosmosis"
      Genesis - "In The Wilderness [rough mix]"
      The Easybeats - "Friday On My Mind"
      Saint Steven - "Bastich I"
      Grapefruit - "Someday"
      Lighthouse - "I'd Be So Happy"
      The Clock-Work Orange - "What Am I Without You"
      The Bonzo Dog Band - "My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe"
      The Lively Ones - "The Caterpillar Crawl"
      Celtic Frost - "Human/Into The Crypts Of Rays"
      Strange - "Ruler Of The Universe"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/346.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/346.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• October 21, 2011 7:58 PM CDT
    • Playlist Thursday Oct 20/2010....The Fryfogle Years Part 2

It's fundraising time here at CHRW, so feel free to call in at 519-661-3600 to pledge your support. The money is used to purchase much needed new equipment at the station to make this, and every other show on CHRW that much better. Where else are you going to hear music, sports and talk shows like what gets played on CHRW? That's right, so pledge away...

1. Howlin' WOlf...Do The Do...from the Change My Way LP...Muddy Waters also played at Fryfogles, which was located on the south side of Dundas St in downtown London, approx where the entrance to the public library is presently located.

2. Martha and The Muffins...Cheesies and Gum...from the Metro Music LP. This whole LP received TONS of airplay on CHRW back in 1980 when it was released.

3. Joe King Carrasco...Let's Go...from the Party Weekend LP from 1983. Joe played at The Cedar Lounge in about 1979 and for his second appearance in London played at Frys.

4. Joe King Carrasco...Houston El Mover...from the self titled LP.

5. The Stranglers...No More Heroes...which sums up the whole punk movement back then. Stranglers played late May early June 1981 at Frys.

6. Stranglers...5 Minutes...from IV and one of my fave Strangler tunes with it's relentless unforgiving anger!!!

7. The Stranglers...Peaches...from Rattus Norvegicus LP.

8. Nach Dem Tode...a live track, dunno the name but we got that one from Bob Glidden who played bass in the band. NDT played at the pre-Stranglers show according to bassist Brian Lambert. Yep, 2 bass players!

9. Rezillos...Bad Guy Reaction...from the Can't Stand The Rezillos LP from 1978. It was actually The Revillos who played at Frys Sept 1981, a slight re-name, personel change in the band but still the frenzied pop music!

10. The Rezillos...Top Of The Pops...as above.

11.999...Homicide...from the 1978 LP High Energy Plan. Another great UK combo who played at Frys sometime in 1981...missed this show.

12. John Cale...Honi Soit...from the LP of the same name. Another summer 1981 show where John brought his band to Frys and put on a Killer show! I took pics that night, some of which are on facebook. This was a really packed and intense show, but as usual i was up near the front trying to absorb it all!

13. John Cale...Chicken Shit...from the 1979 Animal Justice 12". John made at least 2 more trips to Fryfogles as a solo act.

14. Zellots...Empty Victories....from You Only Get One Shot At The Big Time from Wizzard in Vinyl from Japan. One of my fave local combos from the era and they opened for John Cale and many others. John was so impressed by the band, he wanted them to open all of his European shows. Unfortunatly the band couldn't get it together financially to get over and do the honours. The full story of The Zellots is in the latest ish of Mongrel Zine, #10 available at Grooves Records here in town. And there's pictures that i took of the band at Fryfogles in the booklet that comes with this CD.

15. The Zellots...Soldiers...from a 1981 EMAC demo. Rumours are that The Zellots will soon have an LP out on Rave Up Records out of Italy.

16. Certain General...The Shang....from November's Heat LP. Certain General were an NYC pop/surf/psych/new wave combo that featured local drummer Marcy Saddy. They came to London in Aug 1981 to do some practicing and hanging out and ended up doing several shows at The Cedar, Fryfogles and maybe the Embassy (that could have been in 1984). Check out the Certain General facebook group for a bunch of pictures that i took of them at the Embassy in Jan 1984.

17. Certain General...Leader Out...from their 1982 EP Holiday Of Love which was a big seller here in London. I distinctly remember singer Parker bringing out a candelabra filled with burning candles to the stage of Frys to open their first set...they had that late 60's psych vibe ala Jim Morrison at times and were quite hypnotic!

18. Sheep Look Up...Civil Disobedience...from their cassette. Local combo who started as The VD Teens, Raw Dogs, Radio 4 and settled on Sheep Look Up. Some pretty intense stuff when they first started out. And this song is certainly timely for us 99%.

19. Black Flag...6 Pack....oh ya, the big announcement. Raymond Pettibon, the artist responsible for all of Black Flag's imagery is going to be exhibiting at the Macintosh Gallery here in London in September 2012! He's a huge artist now, exhibiting worldwide! And Jason McLean will also be exhibiting at the same time. And in conjunction with these 2 will be an exhibit at a downtown gallery (not finalized yet) featuring the imagery of London from about 1978 to 1988 including posters, pictures, the zines of the era etc...This is going to be a huge display of all of that epherma and curator Brian Lambert is looking for that kind of material from that era. What Wave will be represented at this show for sure!
      And getting back to Black Flag, they played at Frys in about 1982 and then later at the Embassy. At the end of the Frys show, well after the band had stopped playing, bassist Chuck Dukowski somehow slipped getting off the stage, twisted his leg or knee and ended up lying on the dance floor in agony. Dave Napalm and myself both looked at him, each other and walked up to him. Dave and myself kneeled down to ask him if he was OK and Dave got SMACKED in the head by Chuck for his effort!! We both stood up, Dave was holding his jaw and we looked at each other stupidly...like what the fuck!! Needless to say we left him lying there...fucking asshole!!

20. DOA...Liar For Hire...from the War On 45 LP. We were sitting right near the stage when DOA made their first appearance at Frys (winter 81?? or 82) and these guys came in with their lumberjack coats, hydro parkas and looked like these HUGE rednecks that you wouldn't mess with no matter what! These guys were enormous and scared the shit out of some of us as that's not what we were expecting. You can't tell much about someone's size from pictures on records! This was the era of Joe, Dave Gregg, Dimwit and Wimpy Roy, who i immediatley recognized from The Subhumans. They put on a great show that night...really intense punk'n'roll! I took pictures at their next Frys appearance, some of which are on facebook.

21. DOA...Royal Police...DOA must have played London a dozen or more times in the last 30 years and they ALWAYS deliver a killer show!!

22. Napalm Babys....Mental Block...from a live in Ottawa CD. These guys opened for many bands at Frys and were always entertaining!

That's it for part 2, next week is part 3 plus some other bands that played London approx 30 years ago. Thanx for all the phoneins, emails, facebook messages etc!!!

And thanx to Kerry Piper for calling in to pledge $5 for every member of The Dead Rabbits and Flying Squad that appeared on the stage of Fryfogles!!

The London Record show is on Sat Oct 30th....CHRW will have a table there so come on up and say HEY!
      And the night before, our pals The Cynics play at Call The Office here in London!

And we've got a big show at Brennan's Beer Bistro on Sat Nov 5th with The Hook Up, The Fine Print and The Reply...it's gonna be a KILLER.

ANd here's the link to the archived show:

Here's the link to listen to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• October 21, 2011 4:40 PM CDT
    • Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats have a cool cover of Wicked Anabella worth checking out!

The Blue Squares said:

'Wicked Anabella' by The Kinks

• October 21, 2011 4:38 PM CDT
    • Vampire Circus - Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats.

Victims of the Vampire - Slaughter and the Dogs