Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 25, 2011 2:13 PM CDT
    • imhos are what we are curious about. not looking for "official" definitions. your feeling that it is a bag of cats is close to how we think about it. not criticizing but finding it interesting that you are using "garage-rock flair" to describe garage music.

David John de Horton said:

Garage takes ques from all facets of music, from Rock, Blues, Punk, Soul, to Jazz, and ties it together in a dirty, nasty, raw mass of sonic nuts and bolts making a delicious blues-funk stew lightly seasoned with garage-rock flair and dirty, fuzzed-up grooves -IMHO

• October 25, 2011 1:55 PM CDT
    • what we're looking for is what you gave us. people's personal thoughts. you say raw primal rock and roll. that to us is little richard. should we consider little richard to be garage?

kopper said:

To me, it's just, raw, primal rock'n'roll. But I don't really like to try and "define" a style of music (I think it's one of those things where you know when you hear it). But if you're really looking for definitions, Wikipedia is a pretty good place to start, but check both garage rock and garage punk there.

And remember, talking about music is like dancing about architecture. You want perfect examples of garage? Listen to our podcasts, or the Hideout Comps! You'll hear all sorts of music that falls under the "garage" umbrella.

• October 25, 2011 1:48 PM CDT
    • To me, it's just, raw, primal rock'n'roll. But I don't really like to try and "define" a style of music (I think it's one of those things where you know when you hear it). But if you're really looking for definitions, Wikipedia is a pretty good place to start, but check both garage rock and garage punk there.

And remember, talking about music is like dancing about architecture. You want perfect examples of garage? Listen to our podcasts, or the Hideout Comps! You'll hear all sorts of music that falls under the "garage" umbrella.

• October 25, 2011 1:44 PM CDT
    • Garage takes ques from all facets of music, from Rock, Blues, Punk, Soul, to Jazz, and ties it together in a dirty, nasty, raw mass of sonic nuts and bolts making a delicious blues-funk stew lightly seasoned with garage-rock flair and dirty, fuzzed-up grooves -IMHO

• October 25, 2011 1:24 PM CDT
    • is it just a style and if so how would you simply define that style? is it also a state or situation? can a band with a major label or major indie label contract and support be garage? just how fuzzy is the fuzz sound?

• October 25, 2011 2:11 PM CDT
    • In addition to "Fire", I think "Nightmare", "The Great Spontaneous Apple Creation", "I Put A Spell On You" and especially "Rest Cure" are his best tunes. I've always wondered if anyone ever sampled the bassline from "Rest Cure"...maybe Madlib?

• October 25, 2011 1:36 PM CDT
    • Got a live radio show on KGRG fm Auburn and Real Punk Radio airs 7pm to 10pm PST, right in between Seattle and Tacoma. The show plays nothing but psychotronic rock and roll: The first hour is the 'billy, second is usually garage punk the third is something like surf and 60's garage. The live feed is in HD, but there are lo-fi, mono recordings at www.zorchradio.com.

I just uploaded episode 70 over the weekend, which featured two hours of local music and then a re-broadcast of Gone Mental. We also replay oldies of RadiOblivion once a month. Cuz it's rad.

This week, some people that are calling in: Bill from Season of Nightmares, Danny from The Tomorrow Men, and local burlesque/model Aly Hellcat.

I'm always down for working with bands, other DJ's, promoters etc. Just hit me up. It's all non-profit, non-commercial. No money involved. Cheers.

• October 25, 2011 1:08 PM CDT
    • I've lost all touch with when garage rock goes in and out of style. We have plenty of folks up here who play in bands and claim to love "garage rock", but I still can't find a friggin guitarist who wants to play it and 99% of their bands sure 'aint playing garage.

• October 25, 2011 12:51 PM CDT
    • I love everything Niagara does :):):)

• October 25, 2011 12:03 PM CDT
    • Yep, saw that hardcore doc...

Do you have the book Treat Me Like Dirt by Liz Worth? It's on Bongobeat records and details the whole scene via interviews. Lots on The Viletones, Teenage Head, Diodes, etc...Oh, and Diodes here in London Nov 18 or 19 at Call The Office...4 original members. You should be able to get the book that night.

Also coming out soon, the doc about the last punk show at The Horseshoe in Toronto, The Last Pogo....sometime soon, just signed some forms for a picture of mine that will be used in the doc...

• October 25, 2011 9:44 AM CDT
    • It would be great to see a feature length doc.  Have you seen the documentary on TVO about the Toronto hardcore scene from the late 90's maybe?  It's kinda like a "what are they doing now" kinda thing, featuring members of Direct Action, Bunchafuckingoofs, and a couple others.  There seems to be lots of micro-docs, often done for TV. 

• October 25, 2011 11:01 AM CDT
    • Just saw No Alternative, Lewd, d'Jelly Brains and The Naked Lady Wrestlers @Eli's in Oakland, CA last Sat. Great wayback machine trip!

• October 25, 2011 10:17 AM CDT
    • on Friday : The Monsters / King Automatic / Urban Junior

thuesday 3 nov : Guitar Wolf

saturday 5 nov : The Kids

nice

• October 25, 2011 7:43 AM CDT
    • It's the Back from the Grave Halloween Ball that goes on every year in Tokyo. There are a ton of Japanese garage bands like Guitar Wolf, Jet Boys, The Go Devils, Jackie & the Cedrics and like 30 more... for 2 nites, first show is an all-niter. They usually have a special guest from overseas and this year it's the Rip Offs.

John Battles said:

Yeah , including Roy Loney and The Longshots and The Legendary Stardust Cowboy ! Or , no , waitaminnit that's the Ripoff Records show , is'nt it?

P.S. -THE CYNICS , NOV. 3 , BOTTOM LOUNGE , CHICAGO. Your only excuse is that you live 100 miles away , or more.

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

The Rip Offs are playing with a slew of Japanese garage bands this weekend at the Back from the Grave Halloween Ball!

• October 25, 2011 3:44 AM CDT
    • Hahahah, too good!
      Nervous Norvus,  man yes!

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

I was gonna post a vid of The Fang by Nervous Norvus... and then I stumbled on this!

• October 25, 2011 4:07 AM CDT
    • Haha, yeah it counts for sure!

Those Chicago shows sound like not to miss, too bad for all the crap inbetween me and Chicago that hinders me from getting there.

"Twinkle Toes" is already bad ass and would make a great catchy Punk number!

John Battles said:

...Does self - promotion enter into it ? Bloodshot Bill and I have performed together twice as Bloodshot Battles Overdrive , and we did "Tongue - Tied Jill" once. We've talked , casually , about doing a show together again , now that La Migra is off his ass. Unfortunately , I'll be out of town when he plays his first show in Chicago in 5 years , with NoBunny , Tandoori Knights (Bloodshot Bill and King Khan , Ragabilly , Ragabilly ,  Rockabolly Boogie! ) and Bloodshot Bill , solo. But if YOU'RE in town , it's at The Bottom Lounge (I forget the date.).

Of course , real obvious Orbison covers include "Claudette" by The Everly Bros. , and they each did "Love Hurts". I defy any Garage band to cover "Twinkle Toes", BTW.

• October 25, 2011 3:54 AM CDT
    • Thanks!

Mina said:

Velvet Underground, can't come up with the song.

• October 25, 2011 3:54 AM CDT
    • Yeah, it's cool how some song become standards with whole scenes or a couple of bands from a certain time.

Reminds me of how Leaving Here keeps popping up, every now and then.

Though it can get on your nerve somehow, if every other record comes with the same cover version as an extra.

The Raw Cuts said:

Cavan also did 'One Hand Loose'. It's on their 'The Way It Was' album with early demos etc.

So did the 13 Cats...and Flying Saucers...and I bet a million other Teddyboy and Rockabilly bands.

• October 25, 2011 3:35 AM CDT
    • Haha, hey, I think in that timeline as well!

Although I still see some movies now and then, my last stop in the present was when Wild Zero, Electric Dragon and Sore Losers came out in the 90's.

Thanks for all the titles you came up with and will come up with no doubt ;) Oh, I have to hear that version of Chicken Hearted + the '68 Comeback also sounds great, everything does indeed.

And how the hell did I not point out the Charlie Feathers blood Bloodshot Bill and the Cramps have in their veins?? Well, I kind of did, but maybe not enough.

John Battles said:

IDON MINE , You have to understand (Well , know , you don't HAVE to , ha ha...) , my idea of "Current" means , in the last 30 years or so....I told someone today , I only see a few current movies a year , mainly cos so few of them look like they're worth it !

But , The Cramps were heavily influenced by Charlie Feathers , arguably moreso than Orbison.

They covered "I Can't Hardly Stand It" , "It's Just That Song" , and their version of "Tear It Up" was based of Feathers' arrangement , so that's sort of a Feathers cover....They probably did some others that were never released , or that they only did once or twice , live.

Hmmm...who else , The Stray Cats (No , I don't like 'em no more.) did "One Hand Loose".

Bloodshot Bill did some of Charlie Feathers' songs. I forget , now , because practiaclly all his stuff sounds like Charlie Feathers. I think '68 Comeback did "Uh - Huh Honey" and maybe "Tongue - Tied Jill" , but , I'd have to double check...

The Gibson Bros. did "Chicken Hearted" , Creedence Clearwater Revival did "Ooby Dooby" , The Blasters did "Go! Go! Go!" , Rev. Horton Heat and Los Straitjackets did "Move on Down The Line " (Jerry Lee's version of the same song.)......There are others , I'm justdrawing a blank. I'll think about it , though.

• October 25, 2011 3:24 AM CDT
    • Haha, they got the look down!

The Raw Cuts said:

some awesome Orbison cover from Finland...

• October 25, 2011 3:22 AM CDT
    • Hey! Thanks for that!

Interesting to see that Jacuzzi Boys did a rather late-ish Roy song,compared to the other bands on that comp. I guess it suits their understanding of Rock'n'Roll.

TeenFink said:

• October 25, 2011 1:27 AM CDT
    • I just watched the DVD featuring The Ed Sullivan Show with the first Rolling Stones appearance in 1964. I love those old variety shows. Ed would have the hip new mod a go-go bands, Borscht Belt comics, circus acts, Broadway productions, readings of "The Charge of the Light Brigade", puppets, magicians .... you name it.

On the same show as the first Stones appearance was this musical act, 3 sexy Koreans, The Kim Sisters. And though I couldn't find the songs they did on Sullivan (one was a gospel tune, the other involved bagpipes), they're all over YouTube

• October 24, 2011 1:42 PM CDT
    • Yeah , he was very drunk , once , trying to hit on my ex. But , I did'nt know her , yet.

The last two Saints albums were very good....I did'nt go see 'em in '87 , when I had a chance , because the album they were plugging was awful.

Mr Yates said:

Melbourne band The Sick Things fit the bill 

By the way Chris Bailey drunk on cheap port is a very scary sight