Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 19, 2011 6:38 PM CDT
    • To stick with the off-topicness:

Just don't break the fuckin record, fucker.

+ It's that kind of comedy that's supposed to be annoying, no?

It's one thing to be annoying in character and another being annoying as a character ;) hehe.

• October 19, 2011 6:35 PM CDT
    • Yep, I like that.

John Battles said:

I would'nt take it that far. My friends , Randy and Donna Reeves (Of The Uncalled 4 ) were together since the 1970's , and would still be together , now , had it not been for Donna's untimely demise. Lux and Ivy were together some 35 years . They would have lived to be 100 together , if that was whatever power decreed.....I can only imagine being as big a band as they were , and wanting to live a normal life with a child , brings with it greater pressures and difficulties than "Normal " people go through.  But , no , for many of us , true love does not exist. For others , I'd say it does. For whatever reason.

It's too bad , though. I met Kim in '86 . She was very cool , but , I would'nt have even taken them for a couple the two times I saw them in the '80's.

• October 19, 2011 4:46 PM CDT
    • I thought I WAS going to die w/o seeing them. It only took me 9 years of being a fan , before I lived in a city that they'd play in ( They would'nt play in Dallas for years , presumably because a bunch of Metal chicks started a mini - riot , beating up on The Cramps' female fans , the previous time they'd played there. That was in 1980. I did'nt see them til 1990 , but , fortunately , several times after that , so , I was lucky.)

Nicholas Hennig said:

Funny you mention it because I'm wearing a Cramps shirt as we speak. I'd of died to see them live. 

• October 19, 2011 4:02 PM CDT
    • After watching that interview I'd have to say I'd of been a dick to that dude as well. He's annoying as hell. 

• October 19, 2011 3:54 PM CDT
    • Funny you mention it because I'm wearing a Cramps shirt as we speak. I'd of died to see them live. 

• October 19, 2011 3:29 PM CDT
    • Nicholas ,

If you meant what I said about Lux and Ivy (Which I only half - remember , now.), thank you. To be fair , when I met Kim , I was wearing a Cramps T-shirt that I made myself , because you could scarcely BUY one , even in the Hipster boutiques or record stores , in Dallas in 1986. She told me she liked the shirt ( With that , I should have taken it off and give it to her ,ha ha.   I'm only half kidding.) , and that Ivy was her idol. She said she'd just seen The Cramps in France , and it was great , and she loved Ivy's sneer. I could only DREAM of seeing The Cramps at that point.   There's that documentary where Thurston says The Cramps' first live show , with Suicide , in 1976 , at Max's Kansas City , was his Punk Rock epiphany. A couple of years ago , Keith Streng from The Fleshtones told me about being at the very same show , and how it was one of the greatest things he ever saw.  

BUT...You don't break or discard a gift from Nardwuar, That makes you a MAJOR asshole , whoever you are. Give it back ,  if accepting hospitality is'nt your style.   He goes to a lot of trouble finding these things , yes , to soften the blow , should his interviewees find him annoying , and just because he likes to see the (Usual) look of joy on their faces. Of course , in the infamous Snoop Dogg interview series , it's NOT Nardwuar who's being a pain in the ass. Snoop steals what he chooses , even though his non - music has made him millions , BUT, in the end , he grants The N - Dog a fourth interview , IF he will rent a suite at the hotel he's staying at ,  which , of course , was like rolling up enough Canadian Dollars to make the equivalent of a gross of paper towels ,  and setting it all on fire.

BUT , Snoop , several hours late , and "Blunted" , shows up , to return everything he ever took from Nardwuar !!!!

Nicholas Hennig said:

Yeah, good point on Lux etc.. 

I've met Thurston. He was nothing but legit and awesome. Musicians are just people to. Sometimes you don't want people in your face demanding you to have conversations etc.

People are people.

• October 19, 2011 6:26 PM CDT
    • It is a main philosophy of the wikipedia to maintain a "neutral point of view", which none of us have.  It's difficult to construct a neutral article from a non-neutral point of view, without raising the eyebrowels of the wikinazis.

• October 19, 2011 2:04 PM CDT
    • Hey come on, you couldn't have lived without the British Invasion!!! The mood of your country at the time dictated it...how come no US band blew everyone away in late '63/early '64 to the same extent that the Beatles et al did? I'm not on some kind of nationalist trip, I'm not "proud" to be English [merely an accident of birth - i had no say in the matter!!], just saying that for a number of reasons and factors, the time was right for the Beat groups to find their place in the US. Wow, you WOULD NOT have the garage explosion of 65/66 without it!! A broad generalisation, but EVERY ONE of those cats was influenced by the English groups - OK, a fair point that they were bringing America's rich musical heritage back home in a sense [there's no doubt that 'rock n roll' is an American movement], but bring it they sure did.

Frank N. Stroud said:

I guess a lot of the meat of this discussion depends on what you consider garage and what you don't.

In my humble opinion, there is more to garage than just influences and all garage did not descend from the 60s British Invasion (which I think (Rock History Blasphemy Warning) we could have lived without in America) as many would have us believe. Buddy Holly was recording his songs (played in a garage) in the fifties using Lo-fi equipment and his drummer thumping a cardboard box on Not Fade Away.

For my part, if it's too clean,polished and processed, it ain't garage.

I call my music "Garage" cause that's where I write it, play it and often record it. I realize too, that the conventional definition of the "G" word probably means something different to most people.   

• October 19, 2011 4:12 PM CDT
    • Skrewdriver - "I Don't Like You"

I'm always hesitant in bringing up their name due to all that ugly racist crap Ian Stuart's later incarnation of the band was responsible for. But, this is a hell of an album/ep with a very snotty, raw, almost folkiness quality to it at times. They may be gods amongst the white power types, but that Nazi stuff has kept their name from rarely being uttered or their songs included on any punk retrospectives.

• October 19, 2011 3:51 PM CDT
    • The Viletones killed. Even Steve Leckie's "Reunion" CD is pretty f'in rockin'. Just because they had a proper producer , did'nt mean they could'nt stand up to the likes of The Dead Boys (Who also had a proper producer.) . Easily their Canadian counterparts.
      Brian T. Kirchner said:

How about The Viletones or The Sinisters?

Nick X said:
      I love that song "Situations" by Slaughter and the Dogs but it's more of a powerpop tune than what I was referring to in the opening of this thread. I have the album 'Do it Dog Style', I'll have to give it another spin.

Dad Swamp said:
      slaughter and the dogs were a great early band check out "Where have all the boot boys gone" Crass were probably the most uncompromising of the british bands, The "feeding of the five thousand " still sounds great over 30 years later" Do they owe us a living " and "Banned from the roxy" are particular favourites, also Steve Albini's Big Black are well worth a listen particulary "Kerosene" . Killing Joke's "Whats This For" sounded pretty brutal when it first came out.

• October 19, 2011 3:49 PM CDT
    • Yeah , I like Slaughter and The Dogs , also Eater , Lurkers , and even lesser - knowns like The Drones , Users , Killjoys (Keith Rowland from Dexy's Midnight Runners , Gil Weston from Girlschool), Suburban Studs , etc. . There was another band called The Raped , all younger than Eater , and very rough and raw sounding.     I saw Slaughter and The Dogs a couple of times on the comeback trail , They rocked. The Adverts , too , got by on a minimum of musical ability. That's not a putdown , their songs were great , but , they were limited , even by "Punk " standards.

BUT , the band who put the boot in all their "Arses" was'nt considered a Punk band at all. The Pirates.   The Troggs and The Downliners Sect also experienced a mini - resurgence in the wake of The UK Punk movement. The Troggs even did a few non - Oldies club tours , here in the States , which they should be doing , now.
      Nick X said:

I love that song "Situations" by Slaughter and the Dogs but it's more of a powerpop tune than what I was referring to in the opening of this thread. I have the album 'Do it Dog Style', I'll have to give it another spin.

Dad Swamp said:
      slaughter and the dogs were a great early band check out "Where have all the boot boys gone" Crass were probably the most uncompromising of the british bands, The "feeding of the five thousand " still sounds great over 30 years later" Do they owe us a living " and "Banned from the roxy" are particular favourites, also Steve Albini's Big Black are well worth a listen particulary "Kerosene" . Killing Joke's "Whats This For" sounded pretty brutal when it first came out.

• October 19, 2011 3:36 PM CDT
    •  

Satan's Rats - "You Make Me Sick". The Motards from Texas did a great cover of this in the 90's

• October 19, 2011 2:08 PM CDT
    • How bout Crime from San Francisco? They always seemed pretty mean to me!!! Maybe the Dead Boys were a good live act but their records suck for the most part!! Was extremely disappointed with their first album, and the second one's even worse!!!! The production sound i'm talking about more than anything else.

• October 19, 2011 4:03 PM CDT
    •  

Chart-topping act Ameritage Shanks are to split "amicably" after 20 years and 26 top ten hits, they have announced.

The Snodland group will bow out following a farewell tour next month and said they are looking forward to "new ventures".

Over the course of their career the group has achieved 14 number one hits.

In a statement the group said: "Over the years Omitege Shank has become so much more to us than just a band. Harmitage Hank are a dysfunctional family."

The group - for many years managed by Willy Biledish - survived the departure of one of its founding members Mark Hallet, and continue shamelessly as a four-piece.

Bassist Serge Dirtbox also won admiration for announcing he was gay when the boy band were at the peak of their success.

They produced hit after hit, with singles such as Swear It Again You Cunt and Macca Without Wings among their number ones.

Many of their big hits over the years were cover versions and they capitalised on a swing revival by recording a Brat Pack-style album Allow Us To Be Molly Ringwald.

Members Scum, Shite, Flange and Vomit are due to release a greatest bits album shortly as usual limited to 50 copies and only available at the last 2 gigs.

They said they had "countless memories that we will forever cherish" from their years together.

• October 19, 2011 3:58 PM CDT
    • Mole ,

My mistake , not mentioning there's a version of "I Happen To Love You" on "Now...and Them" (Yeah , really. Nice one , Tower.). "Dirty Old Man" was re - recorded and released on Ruff , if I'm not mistaken. EVERYONE was covering "But ,It's All Right " by J.J. Jackson (If they were'nt doing "Mercy , Mercy , Mercy".) , but , yeah , the Van - less Them did do a good version. I don't know if the name was just considered public domain , or what. I don't think even Pete Frame would have tried to run down all the different versions of the group .

Mole said:

Van and post-Van Thems are two very different entities; Belfast Gypsies adds another dimension to the story. I like all 3 - there are high and low points but all 3 have something valid to offer. The first post-Van LP, 'Now And Them' [great title Tower - NOT!!!] has a killer take of 'I Happen To Love You' [Prunes] and a Doors-y thing called 'Square Room' which is pretty neat. 'Walking In The Queen's Garden' is a good uptempo rocker too. Some good 45s too - 'Dirty Old Man', 'But It's Alright', worth seeking out.

• October 19, 2011 3:53 PM CDT
    • What did anyone make of the CD86 compliation?

• October 19, 2011 2:17 PM CDT
    • Joy Division

The Fall

Birthday Party

Pere Ubu

PIL

PragVec

Do the electronic brigade count? Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Robert Rental etc.