Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 17, 2011 8:13 PM CDT
    • This is really a great idea. Completely new twist on the "garage fest" thing. Kinda wish there were more bands playing though.

• October 17, 2011 7:35 PM CDT
    • Yeah , really ! I was most impressed by that. Neil emceed at the Intonation fest in Chicago , and made some VILE (But , right on the mark) comments about the act that preceded Blue Cheer for playing 10 minutes over their alloted time , thus cutting into Blue Cheer's time , and screwing up the whole festival. He told me later that some of the guilty party's fans threatened him with physical violence.  

kopper said:

NEIL HAMBURGER! Wow.

• October 17, 2011 3:32 PM CDT
    • I'm going with my friend Becca! See you on the boat!

• October 17, 2011 8:05 PM CDT
    • Hell yeah the Candy Snatchers are great. Don't forget the Dirtys, too. And the early Killed By Death comps. And I can't help but think about the Fun Things when reading the title of this thread!

Richard Metcalf said:

There's two bands which immediately spring to mind for me. Poison Idea and The Candy Snatchers. I'm a technicological retard so look 'em up yourselves. Both had guitarists who died, one because he was the size of a house and another because of self induced chemical inbalances. Punk as fuck or what!

• October 17, 2011 2:29 PM CDT
    • Delving into early hardcore maybe

The Fix from Michigan

for some piss n blood delivery, maybe the Fuck Ups from San francisco

The Mad from NYC. Of course "I Hate Music" is their most known song.

And as cartoonish as they were, and as bad as they got, Wendy O had a pretty raunchy voice. Though they always called themselves Heavy Metal or New Wave, not punk. (Sorry for the cheesy video game thing, it's the only vid I found for this song on Youtube)

• October 17, 2011 1:25 PM CDT
    • Maybe more MC5ish than Stoogesish

• October 17, 2011 11:05 AM CDT
    • The Saints recorded a lot earlier too

• October 17, 2011 10:58 AM CDT
    • EATER is great teenage snot. Recording before the Sex Pistols and years younger than them too, if you're looking for early stuff.

• October 17, 2011 8:31 AM CDT
    • There's two bands which immediately spring to mind for me. Poison Idea and The Candy Snatchers. I'm a technicological retard so look 'em up yourselves. Both had guitarists who died, one because he was the size of a house and another because of self induced chemical inbalances. Punk as fuck or what!

• October 17, 2011 7:50 AM CDT
    • The Pagans - Nowhere To Run

X Blank X - You`re Full Of Shit

Gasoline - Killer Man

• October 17, 2011 6:41 AM CDT
    • RAZAR

• October 17, 2011 12:10 AM CDT
    • enjoy

• October 16, 2011 10:02 PM CDT
    • Thanks, good stuff kopper. I'm adding some videos of bands I just thought of that are relevant to my request:

kopper said:

Pagans. 'Nuff said.

• October 16, 2011 9:24 PM CDT

•  

• October 16, 2011 9:03 PM CDT
    • Early Bad Brains instantly comes to mind if you're not already into them. They were totally uncompromising and HR was a brilliant frontman 

http://youtu.be/_-7tryyJ0Ro

A latter day one that comes to mind would have to be AMEN, again, Casey Chaos is a nuts front man with plenty of Iggyisms

http://youtu.be/ouEBWQGSkzE

• October 17, 2011 7:57 PM CDT
    • Hey , Nick.

I would'nt say any of it is as good as when Van Morrisson was in the group , just as I would'nt saw Van Morrisson was ever as good again , after he left the group (He has his moments , in my opinion.).

Belfast Gypsies and Them were never one and The same , though we've all been told that. Ugly Things ran an interview , explaining that Belfast Gypsies were two members of an ever changing lineup in the band , during Morrisson's tenure as a singer. The name "THEM" was put on their LP sleeve without their consent. That much said , Belfast Gypsies' CD (Or LP , if you can find it.) is really good , raw killer R'n'B in the Them /Animals vein , but not nearly as tight a band as Them .  Good singer , obviously trying to sound like Morrisson or Burdon , and coming up sounding Punk as fuck.

"Now...and Them" , one of two LPs they did on Tower Records (Them tried to conquer America around 1966 -7 , on the strength of their past hits , but , again , with only one or two actual members of the classic lineup.) , is pretty good , it's uneven , but it has some good rockers on it.....Later , still , they recorded some singles and a COUPLE OF LPS ON LABELS LIKE RUFF  ( Out of Texas.) and Happy Tiger , I think it was....oN THE LATTER, THEY RECORDED GOOD COVERS OF CHARLIE RICH'S "LONELY WEEKENDS" and The Electric Prunes' " I Happen To Love You", in a more "Garage /Psych" mode...Some of the original or semi - original members reconvened in 1969(?) and did an album with Psychedelic versions of "Gloria" and "Baby , Please Don't Go". But , the lineup continued to shift , well into the late 70's , when they did one reunion 45 , which is'nt bad , but , there's no telling who's on it.  I even saw an add saying THEM was playing some 60's fest in Germany just a few years ago. There's probably a version of the band , with no original members , floating around Europe , somewhere.   Nothing I've heard , post - Van , has been BAD , as long as you don't hold it up to the Them/ Them Again era recorded input.    I'd start with Belfast Gypsies, and see what you think , after that.

• October 17, 2011 7:35 PM CDT
    • Is the post-Van Morrison stuff as good as/better than when he was in the group? I personally love Van's early vocals and the stuff on 'The Story of Them.' It's like a good mix of freak beat and soul. I was gonna shell out some cash for 'Belfast Gypsies' but wanted to know the best post-Van record to start with.

• October 17, 2011 7:20 PM CDT
    • So, allegedly, there's no officially word as to if the band will continue after completing their current tour.

• October 17, 2011 7:08 PM CDT
    •  I would'nt take it that far. My friends , Randy and Donna Reeves (Of The Uncalled 4 ) were together since the 1970's , and would still be together , now , had it not been for Donna's untimely demise. Lux and Ivy were together some 35 years . They would have lived to be 100 together , if that was whatever power decreed.....I can only imagine being as big a band as they were , and wanting to live a normal life with a child , brings with it greater pressures and difficulties than "Normal " people go through.  But , no , for many of us , true love does not exist. For others , I'd say it does. For whatever reason.

It's too bad , though. I met Kim in '86 . She was very cool , but , I would'nt have even taken them for a couple the two times I saw them in the '80's.

• October 17, 2011 3:58 PM CDT
    • True love does not exist. 

• October 17, 2011 7:02 PM CDT
    • ...or getting parked. The reason being? I just don't have the free time to do a weekly show right now. Between family, work, responsibilities, "networking" (I guess) combined in with compiling music (downloading, researching, making a playlist, etc.), plus having to schedule everything around when I record, it had just become too much on my plate. Not to mention all the uploading, posting, contacting who I played, etc. It was also making it hard for me to concentrate on "40 Oz. Nonsense" by interfering with the time needed to devote to it. But, who knows? Maybe somewhere down the line when things are less hectic, I will be able to start recording more, but as of right now, that seems rather unlikely. I know there were a few members here on the Hideout that gave it a listen (and actually did like it), and I've had tremendous support and backing from people "in the scene". So to all of you that listened/subscribed/promoted this show, thank you, and maybe the "Hayride To Hell" will return sometime in the future!

• October 17, 2011 6:02 PM CDT
    • I once saw it on Channel 4 and Did you see the reading of the Poem, Banana Bread? I love the punchline:

"When the bread rises, leave town."

• October 17, 2011 1:23 PM CDT
    • That was pretty great. So Rock Hudson was into the Groovies? And did I read that right, The Hexxers played Las Vegas Shakedown? I never knew they were still around, I really liked those guys.

• October 16, 2011 8:29 PM CDT
    • I totally agree with you.. haha I always spell rock n roll wrong.. 

Ok my band was playing at international festival in my town and by older rewiews and describes (including from ourselves) we're described as a 60's revival psychedelic rock. (ofcourse we have influence from bunce of other genres as well) But that description really tracked us down. One journalist was not happy with us.(fuck journalists by the way) I can respect his opinions and all that crap but he killed his credbillity by saying that The Piper at the gates of dawn with Pink Floyd is what psychedelic is supposed to sound and our music were just chaosistic. (has he fucking listened to 13th Floor Elevators? That's what psychedelic is supposed to sound for me thou) The chaosistic is the psychedelic.. Different opinions.

But really my point is descripion can be dangerous.. at least when we're are talking about ignorant journalists..

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

that usually doesn't cut it with potentially interested listeners not familiar with your music. sifting through the gazillion choices requires some specific glittering shiny object word or phrase. sad and as unhappy as it may  be the term rock n roll is meaningless.( FUCK!! NOBODY CAN EVEN AGREE ON HOW TO SPELL IT!!!!!) to one person it means you may be death metal or to another you could be jimmy buffet or you could be a 1953 rhythm and blues offshoot. it would take longer to describe what you mean by rock and roll than to describe yourself. clubs, bookers, websites, bloggers and online mags or whatever will not even bother to listen to an unknown quantity without a stinkin' category marker. we really and truly do not know what category we are supposed to be stuck in. and its a sure bet that like yourself many other bands do not now what they are until someone else tells them..
      Axel Björnsson said:
      I was onetime obsessed with analyzing my music, talked endless about it. I'm still obsessed with it but I keep it to myself because I think it's dull to describe my art to another person. Recently I just tell people that i play Rock 'n Roll.