Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 15, 2011 10:54 AM CDT
    • Idon Mine , While I love Carl Perkins , I never understood how people could only like the obvious Rockabilly , and not at least investigate the wealth of lesser - known artists in that (Cotton) field. However  , I've noticed the Chicago Rockabillies , of late , ARE warming up to Charlie Feathers. But , there's still not much in the way of wildness going on , with the exception of a few bands like The Dyes , who are'nt 100% Rockabilly , they're just as into The Cramps and 60's Garage Rock. I used to be into Psychobilly , I'll admit , but , at the time , it seemed like something new...The earlier Meteors , Guana Batz , Sharks  , etc. , really just sounded like Traditional Rockabilly , played faster . Demented Are Go I liked , they had that "Sick" edge to 'em. In fact , I'm friends with an ex - member of the group , who lives here , now , but , when I saw them , several years ago , they sounded like Motorhead. A lot of that stuff has a "Metal" edge (Not knocking Motorhead , but , I wish some of these bands could get along without pandering to Metal sensibilities. Elvis Hitler's example has not been bettered on , in my estimation , and that was 20 - plus years ago.) , and , of course , the Misfits' influence (I'm not even knocking The Misfits as such , but , how many "OH - WHOA - WHOA's" do you need?) .

I still like The Washington Dead Cats , they're from France. They're this Psychobilly ,  Psychedelia , and  Pere Ubu - drawn thing. But , I got into all that stuff 25 years ago. I don't listen to much of it , anymore. I think a majority of the new bands are terrible.

Also , I agree about just finding something cool to wear in thrift stores . It does'nt have to be high fashion. But , the "Vintage" (Hate that word) clothes , and even the T-shirts , have been just as picked over as the records in most thrift stores , around here. I used to love telling the more fashion conscious people , when they were admiring a jacket or shirt I had on , "Oh , yeah. $3 at The Salvation Army.". But , King Solomon said "All is vanity" . No , wait , he said "Let's split , baby !".

• October 14, 2011 8:44 PM CDT
    • Pour Depravos De La Mour ,    I see it , now , Friday , not Saturday. I still can't make it. I did listen to some of your tunes , and advise others to do the same. Some of you might think it's "Garage" , some of you might not. I don't think anyone's going to say you can't play in the Garage Rock Treehouse if you don't meet their every exacting criteria. People talk about stuff that is'nt remotely related to Garage Rock , or does'nt apear to be , here , just to exchange ideas and opinions. And , speaking of opinions , I thought you sounded a little more  "Punk" or even early "Post Punk" , as in 70's and early 80's , not what passes for Punk , now ,  than "Garage" , but , I'd have to give it a few more listens to say who or what it really reminds me of. I do like the fact that the one song with vibes on it does'nt sound like Northern Soul. 

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

our show is FRIDAY NIGHT. tomorrow. we go on first. we hit the stage at 9:30. we have songs on our page. a click will get you a blast in the face with BEAT DOWN!

John Battles said:

Depravos De La Mour ,

Non , VOUS est playing musique Saturday at Le Rouge Line Tap , Oui ? Non mois. Not that I would'nt play there , I just don't think they're ready for me. In fact , it's a pretty safe bet they are'nt. I played at The Heartland Cafe , once , in 1989. What a colossal mistake THAT was , but , I think it was my first paying gig in Chicago . The Heartland did'nt pay me . My friend , the late Stu Coy of Oncoming Traffic , did. 

I think it's more than fair to say we all have different definitions of what is and what is'nt "Garage". That does'nt necessarily mean one party is right and the other is wrong. But , I don't think I'll be able to make it to your show , that night , as I've already made plans to go to the Music Box Massacre Horror Film Fest , and to a Girlie Calendar party , and , if I don't run out of steam , the Dreamerz reunion.

But , thank you for asking. If you have any songs on your page , I'll check 'em out , and try to see your band another time.

Chicago , of course , is legendary for it's back history of Garage bands , but , I've lived here almost 25 years , and I could count all the local bands I've seen , that filled the bill , on both hands , and still have a few fingers left over , even if I included The New Colony Six's one - shot All Garage set , last year. I knew a lot more people who were into this stuff back when Wax Trax (The Record store , NOT the label.) ruled , and the clubs were'nt spread so far apart. It's still "Indie Uber Alles" around here , even moreso than in the days when Dreamerz was the only game in Wicker Park , and Billy Corgan was still working in a crappy used record store on Broadway.

• October 14, 2011 4:58 PM CDT
    • simple answer to the question: Yeah-new trend.

But don't worry. 

What is underground will be underground, and what is commercial wil be commercial. 

underground just becomes more underground hah.  can be a good thing

• October 14, 2011 3:23 PM CDT
    • Depravos De La Mour ,

You may or may not have to explain to a majority of these people what "Pitchfork " is. Though , the image of bear shit on a real pitchfork sounds like a punchline to a pretty funny joke. But , friends "Pitchfork" is the big Indie Rock /whatever festival , held in Chicago , each year. Not much to recommend about it. They have thrown the record collectors a bone by hosting Os Mutantes and Mission of Burma , but , it's not enough for me  , personally , to get geeked up about. Even Lollapalooza had The Stooges , Roky Erickson and Patti Smith , one year. But , they had more money and a momentary lapse in crappy taste . But , before that , there was a one - off festival called Intonation , sponsored by Vice Records. It was a very nicely run affair , even the security people were cool , BUT , yes , it was mostly crap , musicwise - White Rappers , Cookie Monster Metal , Robert Pollard , etc. , BUT , they also brought Blue Cheer out to play their first Chicago gig in 35 years , and Roky Erickson , for his first Chicago gig , ever.  Both made the other drek irrelevant (Oh , yeah. It already was.). Pitchfork blew it out of the water, never to return. Personally , I've dealt with Vice Records . I was asked to write a Bio for Pierced Arrows (Admittedly , the only band on the label I can name.) their website , and the people at the label were very cool with me , and very helpful. I had a major computer meltdown , and they helped me through it. But , it's too bad about their festival , got to admit , it was a good time. I don't see a "Garage " festival happening , here ,  except on a small scale , like last year's "Caveman - A - Go - Go". It's always been a limited audience , here ,except in the mid - 60's , when there were "Teen Clubs" and church dances almost everywhere.

I don't know how some things got to be called "Garage". I saw The Black Lips , they were nothing like Garage Rock . And , I mean , even if you stretch it. But , they have an audience , that's cool. I saw The White Stripes several years before they made it. I thought "Well , if I want to see someone riffing on Msr. Jeffrey Evans , I'll go see The Knoxville Girls , again. At least , they meant it. ". I stood thru about half of it. It was'nt too interesting , even back then.

When they did make it , under the banner of "Garage" , I said , "HUHH?!!".   

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

we got pointed here by you because we are trying to sell out but nobody's buying. seriously though (one eyebrow up /slanted smiles) this brings up something that is probably one of the hardest things a band must do. describing yourself. giving yourself a label that will attract people who might otherwise pass you by. this is loathesome to all of us bands as we are unique. that is what we must believe in order to keep going. we worry that maybe strictly speaking we do not belong on gph. we have heroes and inspirations that are firmly in the canon but we do not really sound like them. kopper is there a gph tribunal that passes judgement on who is really gp? we firmly believe in such a thing as good music and bad music. it is not a matter of opinion. it is a fact. facts (despite what the republicans think) are solid and immovable objects. they exist and there is nothing you can do about it. most of those whiny sensitive bear shit bands on pitchfork are BAD MUSIC. there is a terrible pretense to having soul that just makes us fucking angry. having said all that  probably none of it belongs here. just forget it.

kopper said:

Hell yeah, it's trendy as fuck right now. And it's really annoying. I keep hearing or reading of "garage" sounds or influences in bands that sound NOTHING like garage rock (or "garage punk," for that matter). I think it's just the state of the music scene right now. Bands like the Hives, White Stripes, and Black Lips (amongst others) really put "garage rock" in the mainstream, and then you had labels like Vice Records jump on the bandwagon with lots of money to promote it with the help of corporations like Scion, and BOOM. It's the "next big thing." Problem is, too many of these bands are just plain BORING, and I bet most of 'em wouldn't know a Sonics or Oblivians tune if it hit 'em on their heads.

Oh, and by the way, I never could stand the Strokes. As far as I'm concerned they were the "Pearl Jam of Garage Rock," a fabricated band, totally fake, with crappy music that might be OK when compared with the rest of mainstream "rock music," but pales in comparison to most of the real garage rock/punk out there.

• October 15, 2011 8:16 AM CDT
    • Hi Zane.  No problem!  Yes, I'm a fan of Dead Boys!  I learned English grammer by myself, but I still don't remember many English words, so I use a translation site, but I can't believe it!  However, I use it as a spell cheker or so.

I'm came from Japan.  My fave bands are too many!  I love Detroit bands like Iggy & the Stooges, MC5, Sonic's Rendezvous Band, DAM.  Also, many bands which were influenced by them, like the Damned, the Saints, Radio Birdman, the Scientists, the Birthday Party etc.  Ah, I love Crime, too!  And many punk, new wave, grunge and 60's 80's garage (surf) bands.  And some of late 70's and early 80's reggae / Dub like Augustus Pablo, King Tubby...  Also, I found that there're some killer and great tunes on 60's and early 70's (esp.) Italian film soundtracks a couple years ago!  (I think a most famous composer is Ennio Morikone, for example.)

What have you been listening to lately??

There's Sleazy's thread "What's spinning right now?" on main page here, I post it (though, everything are video clips), so if you have a time, check it out.  I'm listening to various tunes on the You Tube, because there're many rare and out of print stuff recentlly! :)  I sometimes find an awesome tune!

• October 14, 2011 7:12 PM CDT
    • Hi DeadBoy! Sorry, I had no idea you were part of our United Nations group, thought you were a Yankee! "Young Loud And Snotty" is the name of the first Dead Boys album, I assumed you were a fan! Perhaps there's some way to get whatever you have to say, translated on this site?? So you wouldn't have to worry about your English. Where are you from anyway? Who are your favorite bands? What have you been listening to lately?

Luv,

Zane

• October 14, 2011 7:01 PM CDT
    • Hi Sleazy! You have a wide variety of likes in music, so do I! I started collecting records when I was 5 years old with help from my mom who used to scratch a line on the A side of singles so I knew what song was the "hit". Not much time passed before I told my mom "there's a whole nother song on the other side!!!" Yep, discovering the B side of singles made me quite a rebel in my neighborhood among us toddlers....before you knew it , I was like a B side Queen, I could name the B side of almost every hit single...anyway, I love a lot of solo pop artists like Petulia Clark and Nancy Sinatra and my fave ....LuLu...Tom Jones Tommy Roe...and a man I always wanted to marry ...Johnny Rivers but that's only if Jeff Beck isn't available! ! I started dancing when I was very young and all of the stuff my teacher played was instrumentals and I have a tons of different kinds of music. Bowie was one of the biggest influences in my life and I had a aqua blue Bowie cut in 1973 which actually not a lot of people had huh? And just a few years later punk came along and I fell in love with music all over again!!! So how old are you if you don't mind my asking? You seem to know a lot about early rock n roll. You have to keep in mind that even though I'm probably older than most of you...I was still too young to even be seeing the bands I was seeing...as for Lana, No, I don't know her but I did her astrology chart for her a few years ago...(I'm an astrologer among other things...) as a favor for Rudi whom I DO know. However and here's some nice gossip for this site....Lana forbade Rudi to keep in touch with me and we are no longer friends!

• October 14, 2011 2:25 PM CDT
    • THere would be heaps to talk about on this topic. I love Joss....she's pretty and spunky too.....she is quite known now esp after singing in Mick Jagger's new band!!! Howevre, there are other ladies out there in the 'shadows of musicland' who deserve better coverage.....e.g. The Pandoras, singer in the Persian Claws, etc. Too many to mention actually :)!
      Say Zane.....don't you have something to do with the Fuzztones??? You're username is not new to me.....talkin' 'bout the Tones, do you know Lana Loveland?! She's kick ass 2:)!

Zane Arillotta said:

Hi Sleazy! I can see we have the same taste in singers as I'm a huge fan of both Janis Joplin and Grace Slick but unfortunately never saw them live. I especially identified with Grace Slick not just for her voice, but also for her look. She had long dark hair and bangs which is what I've had pretty much most of my life! I think the only KNOWN singer out there right now, or at least known to me in the "mainstream" world of music that has a kick ass rock n roll voice is Josh Stone? What do you think?  I'm sure there's so many more out there that we might hear from but only if they upload their stuff, having to feel like you need to be "signed" to be heard, thankfully, is a thing of the past! Thank gawd that whole "folk singin celtic" phase is gone...at least I think it is....though it sounds pretty, I'd never spend actual money on it...I like my music LOUD!!! Drums of course are favorite!! So, you said you're doing your bit for the female cause....tell us more!!!!!

Zane

• October 15, 2011 2:09 AM CDT
    • Show #345: "Bands & Artists Starting With P, Part 7" playlist:

Proud Flesh - "Devil Flight"
      Prowler - "Pale Green (Hmmmmm) Driving Man"
      Prudy - "Zvonte, Zvonky"
      The Pseudos - "A Long Way To Nowhere"
      The Psy-Kicks - "Summer Tears"
      The Psychedelic Psymphony - "Don't Be Afraid"
      Psychic Motion - "It's You"
      The Psychopaths - "'Til The Stroke Of Dawn"
      The Psychotics [MI] - "If You Don't Believe Me, Don't"
      The Psychotics [NC] - "(I'm) Determined"
      Psychotrons - "Death Is A Dream"
      Public Company - "Hearts And Flowers"
      Public Nuisance - "America"
      Gary Puckett & The Union Gap - "Young Girl"
      The Puddin' Heads - "Now You Say We're Through"
      The Pudding - "The Magic Bus"
      Puff - "Changes"
      Pugh - "Love, Love, Love"
      Pugsley Munion - "What's Right For Me"
      Dwight Pullen - "Sunglasses After Dark"
      The Pulsating Heartbeats - "Anne"
      Pulse - "Another Woman"
      Punch - "Fallin' Lady"
      The Puppet - "Preppy Colored Personality"
      The Puppets [UK] - "Shake With Me"
      The Puppets [US] - "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart"
      Puppy - "Belinda"
      Pancho Purcell & His Bambuco Players - "Lonely Street"
      Pure Food & Drug Act - "A Little Soul Food"
      Pure Jade Green - "Purple Grass Growing"
      Pure Madness - "Freedom Rides"
      Pure Prairie League - "Tears"
      The Purge - "The Mayor Of Simpleton Hall"
      The Purple Barrier - "Dawn Breaks Through"
      The Purple Canteen - "Brains In My Feet"
      The Purple Cucumber - "Green Eyed Song"
      The Purple Fox - "Git Some"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/345.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/345.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• October 14, 2011 1:27 PM CDT
    • Show #345: "Bands & Artists Starting With P, Part 7"

Every 3 weeks I do a show where I randomly draw a letter from the alphabet. Then I play all bands & artists in my collection from the 50s, 60s and 70s that start with that letter in alphabetical order. This week I drew the letter "P". This is the seventh time I've drawn the letter "P", so I will start from where I left off (which was with Protozoa). So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "P" like: Proud Flesh, Prudy, Psychic Motion, 2 different Psychotics, Psychotrons, Public Nuisance, Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, The Pudding, Puff, Pugh, Pugsley Munion, The Pulsating Heartbeats, Pulse, 2 different Puppets, Pure Jade Green, Pure Prairie League, The Purge, The Purple Canteen, The Purple Fox and many many more!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• October 14, 2011 10:49 PM CDT
    • I like it all but I have to go with the Reatards. It has more of that old Rock & Roll feel if ya know what I mean.

• October 14, 2011 7:48 PM CDT
    • Woa man theres so many: I never liked reading but it seems like the only way to get info on bands and cool stuff nobody seems to give much of a squat about.

Lately Ive been through these ones: DooWop:cousin brucie/Tommy & the Shondelles Me and the Mob/Allen Freed bio/ Warren Zevon I'll Sleep when Im dead/kinks a very english band

Anybody have any recommended rocknroll literature? Pulpy kinda stuff that stirs fantasies of long gone cool stuff. Some of the bios Ive read even seem sureal so theres gotta be some cool, old novels Im missing out on. Stuff like Kerouac but with more early rocknroll descriptions rather than jazz would be cool to read.

• October 14, 2011 7:15 PM CDT
    • Yeah, I met them before. Anything interesting coming up in AnnArbor? 

• October 14, 2011 6:59 PM CDT
    • Lately I listen to Lantern fronted by Zac Fairbrother (myspace.com/themagiclantern), PC Worship (myspace.com/pcworshipp), and the Super Vacations (myspace.com/meetthevacations) for current garage tunes. .

• October 14, 2011 6:08 PM CDT
    • I like Ty Segall, he dips into a lot of outside influences like T. Rex, Syd Barret, British Invasion and even a bit of grunge but he's got the melodies and keeps it interesting. I probably don't speak for everyone but there is only so many times I can hear the Nuggets comp reinterpreted without wanting something new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1QUp47G9A&feature=related

• October 14, 2011 7:00 PM CDT
    • Playlist for Oct 13/2011

This is part 1 of our special on The Fryfogle Years (has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?). Bands that played at Fryfogles Tavern here in London approx 30 years ago to help celebrate CHRW's 30th birthday this month. A TON of cool bands played Fry's (as we used to call it) and this is just a small sampling.

1. The Ramones...I Just Wanna Have Something To Do...from their Ramones Mania LP on Sire. The Ramones did NOT play Frys, they played at Centennial Hall on May 5/80 with The Demics opening. Probably the last show i attended at Centennial Hall.

2. Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels...Rock'n'Roll....the single (and shorter) version from the Rhino Greatest Hits LP. OK, so my buddies and i were HUGE Mitch Ryder fans back in the 70's and we just had to venture into Frys to catch this guy. His Rock'n'Roll was a pretty big hit on the AM radios back then (early 70's) and none of us had been to Frys. It was a legendary venue even back then as people like Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters had both played shows here. We got as dressed up as we could (back then venues had dress codes...ie no jeans, no shorts, no running shoes etc and ya, it sounds archaic by today's standards but that's the way it was back then) meaning cords and dress shirts (just have a look at That 70's Show and see how those characters dress) and it was SOOO amazing to see this guy doing his drop kicks and kicking it out like a REAL rock'n'roll show. Not like those boring cover bands we'd see at The Ridout and Ye Olde City Hall. Ya, Mitch was the real deal and i'm just so glad we went to see this guy that even The Cramps held in high esteem as our intro into Frys.

3. Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels...Sock It To Me...from the LP of the same name.

4. Eddie And The Hot Rods...Teenage Depression...from the LP of the same name. Eddie and the Hot Rods have the honour of being the first of the so called punk bands from the UK to come to London Ontario on Nov6/7 1977. I had NO idea who this band was at the time and did not go to see them. Yes, i'm still kicking my ass 34 years later, but i do have a live tape of one night's show as consolation.

5. Eddie and The Hot Rods...Quit This Town...from the 1977 LP Life On The Line. Fitting tribute to the many who have quit this town over the years...

6. Teenage Head...Picture My Face...recorded live at The Spoke the fall of 1980 and broadcast over CHRW's airwaves and i stayed home and taped it. Still remember seeing Teenage Head when they first played Frys, it was a wed night in the summer, probably 78 or 79 and one of my buddies got booted out for puking his guts out in the downstairs can of Frys. The one club in London that it was REAL easy to get kicked out of...can't say i've ever had the 'honour' but know many that were.

7. Teenage Head...You're Tearing Me Apart....Frankie we miss you!

8. The Bopcats...Lose My Cool...from a 7" and this band had Londoner Cam Marshman (son of Judge GG Marshman) on bass. Cam is still playing to this day and did a few songs at the Uranus/Sci-Phonics reunion show (Press CLub here in London) back in May of this year. Bopcats always put on a great show when they had original guitarist Duane Wayne shredding up the strings and grinning so stupidly at his guitar. Then he was replaced and the band was never as good.

9. The Bopcats...Bop A Lena...from the same 7" as above and this song always made me go nuts when they played it live! Thanks to Kicks magazine for letting me know about the original by Ronnie Self.

10. The Bopcats...I Can't Help It...another 7' again with Duane Wayne on the strings.

11. Shakin' Pyramids...Let's Go...from the Skin 'Em Up LP from 1981...yep, Rena and i went on one of our very first dates to see The Shakin' Pyramids at Frys. Just a coupla years back and we're still together to this day. Rockin' Rob who was the rockabilly DJ at the time on CHRW said he got kicked out of this show because he wouldn't stop dancing on stage with the band! Rob's calmed down a bit and he retired earlier this year.

12. Shakin' Pyramids...Wash Machine Boogie...from the Reeferbilly Blowout CD.

13. Shakin' Jake and the Rattlesnake Jakes...Ice Cream Man...from the Domestic Animals cassette of local bands. This was Perry Pucket's rockabilly combo who opened for many of these bands at Fryfoges. Perry is currently in the Pink Cadillac Scat Cats.

14. Panther Burns....She's The One Whos Got It...from the Behind The Magnolia Curtain LP from 1981. Now this is the REAL deal as far as rockabilly goes. This band got played a lot on the show Young Fast and Scientific here on CHRW, that Al Cole did (he's the originator of What Wave zine). After hearing them on the radio, we HAD to see Panther Burns. Their name was getting tossed around with The Cramps in zines like NY Rocker and Trouser Press so this was a must see!! And Panther Burns did not disappoint...stand up bass, simple drum set up, and Tav Falco looking OH SO COOL!!!! And he still does to this day! This LP has just been re-released and it's one of those LP's that you can play over and over and still hear something new each time! Former Boxtop Alex Chilton guested on guitar under the name L. X. Chilton.

15. Panther Burns...Train Kept A Rollin'...from a live 7".

16. Panther Burns...Bertha Lou...from the Blow Your Top EP. Legend Killers recorded this song as part of their first or 2nd demo session. We got to interview Tav Falco a couple of times when they used to play the Silver Dollar in Toronto somewhat regularly. He used to send us a Christmas card each year after that...

17. Carl Perkins...Her Love Rubbed Off...from the Greatest Hits LP. Carl played in the summer of 82, same night The Forgotten Rebels played at The Cedar Lounge. I went to see the Rebels and was talking to lead singer Mike and he gave me shit for going to see his band when Carl Perkins was just up the street! And i'm still kicking myself to this day for missing Carl as he never came back to London.

18. Carl Perkins...Boppin' The Blues.

19. Demics...Talk's Cheap...from the Animals Fight Back cassette of local bands and recorded live in 1979. Once saw The Demics play on the same bill as Our Daughter's Wedding, an electro pop combo at Frys. It was a week night and there weren't many people there.

20. The Demics...Factories...from the NYC CD.

21. Blue Peter...Factory Living...from the Test Patterns For Living EP on Ready Records from 1979. Blue Peter came from Toronto and started playing pretty regularly at The Cedar and once they started to really draw, went over to Frys. I still remember seeing them sound check at The Cedar on their first visit here, and the band was playing while singer Paul jumped off the stage and started dancing all over the dance floor while the band was playing and then jumped back on stage to sing! The things we remember.

22. Blue Peter...Neon Girls...from the Radio Silence LP. Mana once grabbed me at Fry's and said you're coming with me to Toronto tomorrow to see Blue Peter open for The Jam. So she drove us to Toronto and we went to The Edge to see The Boyfriends and Blue Peter play and the next night we saw Blue Peter open for The Jam and the Concert Hall! 2 great shows!!

23, Nash The Slash...Moon Curse...from the Dreams and Nightmares LP on Cut Throat Records. Saw Nash at Frys and somewhere i have pictures from that show.

24. Nash The Slash...Dead Man's Curve...from the 1981 LP Children Of The Night. Nash played London fairly regularly as his brother owned The Madrigal Record shop here in town. Last time we saw Nash, was when he played a few songs with DOA at Call The Office. Randy Rampage was back on bass and Nash jumped on stage in full costume (rolls of white tape covering all visible skin, ancient suit, top hat and dark glasses) and he jumped around like a madman while playing with DOA...shoulda had my camera that night.

That's it for part 1 of The Fryfogle Years. Come on back next week for part 2 where you just might hear The Stranglers, 999, Joe King Carrasco, The Zellots, John Cale, Certain General, DOA and who knows  what else.
      And all of this is to help celebrate CHRW's 30th Birthday.
      And, next week give us a call (519 661 3600) and you can donate to our annual fund raiser! The money is used to purchase new equipment and to keep CHRW onair. Where else are you going to hear music like this???????? Remember, every little bit helps.

And thanx to The Pack AD for playing London last friday night and then coming onair with me on saturday at 12:30 for an impromptu interview....it was fun and we talked about all of the venues here in London that they've played at! And who knows what else...i had no idea i was doing the interview, but it was fun.

And thanx to Lou Molinaro of Lose Control on indi 101 at Mohawk College for having me onair this past wednesday to talk about CHRW's birthday and all things What Wave. Thanx Lou, it was a blast!

And thanx to Beat Magazine (and especially Robert Pegg) for profiling me in the latest, October edition that is available free here in London Ontario.

Here's the link to listen to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• October 14, 2011 6:36 PM CDT
    • ...main post updated...

• October 14, 2011 5:05 PM CDT
    • After spending years looking for something approximating a Mosrite, and trying everything I could find, from $10k vintage Mosrites to crappy Eastwood "Sidejack" rip-offs, my friend Dan Moses (of The Dynotones and The Finksville 5) turned me on to Hallmark. I play in an east coast surf/punk band called Motopipe, and I ordered a '60 custom in sunset sparkle. This guitar has shocked me with its quality. For about $1000 I have a guitar that is honestly easier to play and more reliable than the real thing is and I don't have to worry about damaging a guitar that costs more than my car. I don't have any others yet, but I'll be adding a swept-wing as soon as I can afford one. The custom-wound pickups are HOT! Intonation and setup was excellent right out of the case. The only two complaints I've had are 1) I ordered mine in March and didn't get it until August (my color choice was backordered- they offered me a '59 Custom at the same price as the '60 but I really wanted this color so I waited) and one of the string slots in the trem needed a little filing- it broke 2 high-E strings before I figured it out. Unfortunately one of those strings broke during the first gig I played with it. Played it out again last Friday night and had no issues. I've also moved up to heavier strings, which are my own preference. Over the years of using spring-tension trems (bigsbys mostly but now with this one as well) I've found that a heavier spring and heavier strings means better string life and the guitar is more likely to stay in tune longer. The downside is that you can't get as much out of a bend, but I think it's worth it if you like a little more tension and heavier feel as I do. I could see that if you played with really light strings- 9's or 10's, tuning might become an issue but that is inherent to a trem system like that. The Eastwood felt like a cheap piece of crap just picking it up. This guitar feels as solid and well-made as any of my much more expensive US-made guitars, and Bob Shade at Hallmark is just an email away anytime you need to talk to him. Can't beat that sort of direct access to the man at the top. He stands behind his product. P.S. the case is really rad too!

• October 14, 2011 2:52 PM CDT
    • What do I think? I love Hallmark guitars. How much does this one cost out on the market?

This is another example of modern companies reproducing those cool/sought-after/hard-to-find guitars from the way back. But they tend to play a lot better (and/or may be in better shape) than the originals.

Eastwood is another example of this kind of company.  

Cool stuff!

• October 14, 2011 1:54 PM CDT
    • This more like shameless self promotion but my budy is making clones of FZ-1, FZ-1A, and mosrite fuzzrite.  He does a pretty dam good job.  Drop me a message if ya interested.

• October 14, 2011 1:51 PM CDT
    • I want this one day. 

• October 14, 2011 1:48 PM CDT
    • Would that be a hollowbody teardrop?  At any rate I would go with the solid body ones.

dying slowly said:

is there a diferance in tone beetween the phantom and teardrop

(im 14 and british ,if i could id get a phantom in all white , white mith black pick guard or all black or just a white teardrop :))

• October 14, 2011 12:25 PM CDT
    • amen, my brotha.  I also have a show called Kustom City Sounds and it definitely has a garage slant, i don't limit mself to only playing garage music. I agree with you that he just thought up a cool name, and of course with anything that's starts cool, it gets co--opted into something else.  I just say on my show that if it has the spirit of rock and roll then it get's played. maybe he should do something in that vain, but I am sure he has registered the name and blah blah blah.  I just don't see how Springsteen was ever considered cool, just my opinion.  His show has kind of become a place for Bruce shit, but I do listen sometimes.  

joey fuckup said:

What I'm going to say here is by no means important, nor is it going to part the rock 'n' roll sea, but I personally think Little Steven should have, or should call his show something else other than what it goes by now. I mean "Underground Garage" is a cool sounding name, IF the show was JUST THAT. Don't get me wrong, it's fine that he plays a variety of music, after all, it is his show, he can play whatever he wants or sees fit. But it would be a lot more fitting if he just called it something like "Little Steven's Rock 'N' Roll (whatever)", which may sound lame, but at least it won't come across as advertising itself being an all garage show. For people who aren't familiar with garage music will come to his show and get a distorted idea of what the genre is. And yes, I have listened to his show on the radio (when my shit rock station here carried it), and it was refreshing to hear '60's garage mixed in with newer bands that I liked. But there was others added into the mix that had me scratching my head, as has been mentioned in this discussion. Whatever, he plays what he wants, I just don't think he should advertise it with such a banner of the scene. If you do think about it, people who have no clear idea on what garage is are going to think that bands like U2 and Green Day are relevant to garage rock 'n' roll, when they don't...Bottom line: Don't promote yourself (or show) as something you may not be. I host the "Hayride To Hell" podcast, and even though I play country music, I don't promote it as a country show.