Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 13, 2011 4:48 AM CDT
    • Agreed. Oldies=Goodies, but hey it's good to keep it new too right? 

Been really digging the Old Haunts lately. Stumbled upon them a few years back playing in an old mortuary house in Oregon, and have since rediscovered them I guess. They're from WAshington state. Worth checking out 

• October 13, 2011 4:41 AM CDT
    • Thanks Marty! I always wondered what happened to them just sort assuming they vanished from the world, but I'm already google-ing as I reply. Sort of.

• October 12, 2011 7:19 PM CDT
    • Ryoko from Thug Murder formed a kinda Joan Jett-influenced kinda hardcore band called Last Target.

Bass player Chisato was in punk/metal band The Vickers and now has an all girl punk band called Timeless Timber who I haven't seen yet.

Another all girl band in this punk scene worth mentioning is Softball and Akiakane, the lead singer's band after they broke up.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

I always liked the street punk/oi of Thug Murder and the guitar assault of Yellow Machinegun. Neither are garage, but both are excellent

• October 12, 2011 4:24 PM CDT
    • Spookey are good, we played with them a few years ago in Glasgow (thanks, Tony...). D.

• October 12, 2011 3:31 PM CDT
    • To The Surfites , thanks for expounding on that , and posting the videos.  I think I did spell Eleki wrong....But , I had the pleasure of meeting three of the surviving members of The Golden Cups , last year , as well as Alan Merrill (An article about this forum on Group Sound music appears in the current Roctober.    www.roctober.com  ). They briefly , but enthusiastically , recalled the days when Yuzo was one of their only homegrown Rock 'n' Roll heroes .

The Surfites said:

In addition to Emy Jackson and Japanese girl group sounds, I can really recommend a great and readily available comp on Ace Records called Nippon Girls:

John Battles said:

But , before even that , there was the Elecki movement ,fronted by Guitarist , Singer , Composer and Arranger , Yuzo Kayawa.

Yeah, Yuzo Kayama (and Takeshi Terauchi!) and the whole mid 60's Japanese Eleki boom were great!

Here's Kayama with his famous "Black Sand Beach" from a 1966 live performance:

And here's the song again in the 1965 Eleki No Wakadaisho movie (notice Takeshi Terauchi guest appearing second from left, Kayama to the right of him):

• October 12, 2011 2:40 PM CDT
    • I always liked the street punk/oi of Thug Murder and the guitar assault of Yellow Machinegun. Neither are garage, but both are excellent

• October 13, 2011 2:05 AM CDT
    • I quite often listen to the two Flying Saucer "garage rock intervention" episodes, Pure freakin' genius! And there's always the constant replays of Get Drunk and Play Records, I love that show, all the burping during songs, awesome.

• October 12, 2011 4:19 PM CDT
    • I have started a few at the very beginning - much fun in doing this.  Savage Kick, Desparate Hour (thumbs up Alex), and Mal Thursday show.  Mal's first 'songs that the Lyres Taught Us' resides as a CD in my car so I re-listen this to this specific show the most.  Mal just knows how to captivate.  I have been wanting but still have not completed a full replay of Radio-oblivian. Michael entertains well.

so glad that these older shows get played over and over by people. 

• October 12, 2011 1:07 PM CDT
    • I know, I know... one of these days, I promise.

todd killings said:

i never get tired of listening to Rock'n'Roll Suicide! never heard an episode i didn't like..... replay old ones all the time cuz theyre just too infrequent! speaking of infrequent, when're we gonna have a new episode of Noize Annoize kopper?????

• October 12, 2011 7:15 PM CDT
    • Hey Steve 

My old YOU GOT GOOD TASTE Halloween show can now be found here

and the House of Horrors show can now be found here

There a whole load of my old shows available to download on my website www.yougotgoodtaste.com

NEW Halloween show on its way.

Thanks Mr A

• October 12, 2011 6:23 PM CDT
    • Yeah everyone,

please fill this up with recent ones guys.

• October 12, 2011 4:35 PM CDT
    • *bump*

Add any new ones if you have links!

• October 12, 2011 10:42 PM CDT
    • Okay... It would be nice if had something to contribute to the discussion instead of just spamming it.

For future reference, The Trading Post Group is where this sort of post should go. Okay?

Dave Williams said:

Oh hey. Just letting y'all know that, if you're looking to have your CD/LP/7"/Cassette mastered and are a little tight on cash, you might as well head on over to the Rock Among Us website (http://rockamongus.wordpress.com) and send me an email with some details on what you'd like done. You'll also find a gallery of some stuff I've worked on in the past & some upcoming projects.

I'm more than happy to work on a sliding scale based on how much you can afford (within reason, obviously), so give me a number & we'll talk about it.

Word.

Dave

• October 12, 2011 6:38 PM CDT
    • I know that feeling... just for quicks, I saw someone with a Cute Lepers bag at a garage punk un-related show and felt like I had to jump them out of joy.

It's weird though... Local monthly clubs like Voodoo Hop or any other "event" put up half way regularly by DJ's draws quite the crowd here. Places are always packed, but I can't seem to see any faces I know - except for the 3 same weirdos I always meet around.

John Battles said:

Liking Garage Rock has always been a pretty lonely existence...  'Maybe in Barcelona , you could walk down the street and see a Cynics , Electric Prunes or Los Saicos T-shirt on a regular basis. Not here. Maybe not even in a year's time. That does'nt mean people whose tastes you might disagree with should'nt be allowed into "The Club" if they're interested in this kind of music.

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

WHAT WAS A JOKE? THAT YOU PLAY SURF MUSIC? we must be too stupid for this discussion. very little here makes any sense. what will everybody do if they decide that garage is trendy? send angry tweets to the twats who would dare to enjoy "our" music for all the wrong reasons? tried very hard not to judge the sheer ridiculousness of the entire "discussion" but this is really about as pointless as it gets. not to mention the use of a word like "trendy". if you only want "pure" listeners then you better shut it down because it will get pretty lonely pretty quick. even if somebody likes this stuff for a short time and then moves on to post post post electro fucko it will still be good for the scene because they will bring someone else here who may become a lasting fan. don't ever make fun of other people for attempting to share your interests.

• October 12, 2011 4:01 PM CDT
    • john i believe we live in the same major city. we like to call it chicago. we are playing at the red line tap on friday. come see us. it would be good to get an opinion as to whether we qualify as garage or what.
      John Battles said:

Liking Garage Rock has always been a pretty lonely existence. It's nice to find out there are so many people who like a lot , or some , of the same things I like , but , I live in a major city , and I don't meet or see that many people who'd pay $10 for the "Nuggets " box sets , much less something rare.  'Maybe in Barcelona , you could walk down the street and see a Cynics , Electric Prunes or Los Saicos T-shirt on a regular basis. Not here. Maybe not even in a year's time. That does'nt mean people whose tastes you might disagree with should'nt be allowed into "The Club" if they're interested in this kind of music.

WHAT WAS A JOKE? THAT YOU PLAY SURF MUSIC? we must be too stupid for this discussion. very little here makes any sense. what will everybody do if they decide that garage is trendy? send angry tweets to the twats who would dare to enjoy "our" music for all the wrong reasons? tried very hard not to judge the sheer ridiculousness of the entire "discussion" but this is really about as pointless as it gets. not to mention the use of a word like "trendy". if you only want "pure" listeners then you better shut it down because it will get pretty lonely pretty quick. even if somebody likes this stuff for a short time and then moves on to post post post electro fucko it will still be good for the scene because they will bring someone else here who may become a lasting fan. don't ever make fun of other people for attempting to share your interests.

• October 12, 2011 3:42 PM CDT
    • Liking Garage Rock has always been a pretty lonely existence. It's nice to find out there are so many people who like a lot , or some , of the same things I like , but , I live in a major city , and I don't meet or see that many people who'd pay $10 for the "Nuggets " box sets , much less something rare.  'Maybe in Barcelona , you could walk down the street and see a Cynics , Electric Prunes or Los Saicos T-shirt on a regular basis. Not here. Maybe not even in a year's time. That does'nt mean people whose tastes you might disagree with should'nt be allowed into "The Club" if they're interested in this kind of music.

• October 12, 2011 3:21 PM CDT
    • Hey, Todd. It's true , but I think that's been going on since at least the early 60's , When it was practically mandatory to include a LOT of Instrumentals in your repertoirre , if your band aimed to work , prior to The Beatles and Stones ' arrival. But , then as now , not ALL Instros WERE "Surf Music". Even The Ventures did'nt do very much of it. The word "Surf" got thrown around a lot.

But , in the 90's , when people were talking about the less lucrative "Garage Revival" of the day  , spearheaded by labels like Estrus , Surf - oriented bands , like The Volcanos , Huevos Rancheros , Man or Astroman? , Jackie and The Cedrics , Exotics and not purely Surf acts like Los Straitjackets were still accepted as part of the overall "Garage Scene".   

todd killings said:

I beg to differ...... people are just as quick to toss around the "surf" label these days as "garage"..... read some reviews of indie rock bands like the Wavves, Best Coast, Surfer Blood, Sundelles, Beach Fossils..... just cuz a band uses reverb and has tunes about the beach doesn't make it "surf" music. ugh.

TeenFink said:

by the way, i totally get the joke about playing surf music. good one! it's ironic how garage & surf were so connected or intertwined and almost interchangeable 10-20 years ago, but now you rarely ever hear anyone talking about surf in the "garage scene" or whatever. surf got left out.

• October 12, 2011 6:03 PM CDT
    • Thanks man! Very cool.

That sounds great, I'll have to look that one up - just flying over it, the CHEATER SLICKS, BLOODSHOT BILL, HAUNTED GEORGE, DEMON's CLAWS contributions make me quite excited for this one.

kopper said:

I don't know if you ever caught wind of this, IDON, but Telephone Explosion Records put out a great Roy Orbison tribute LP in January of 2010 called Our Boy Roy... check out the track list:

A Side:
      1. The Camero Wolf Band (Live Fast Die) - Problem Child
      2. Jacuzzi Boys - Anything You Want
      3. Bloodshot Bill - Cause of it All
      4. Haunted George - Rock House
      5. Holy Cobras - Domino 

B Side:
      1. Ty Segall - Pretty Women
      2. Teenanger - You're my Baby
      3. Demon's Claws - It's Over
      4. Red Mass - Running Scared
      5. Cheater Slicks - Crying
      6. Charlie & The Moonhearts - Chicken Hearted

WWW.TELEPHONEEXPLOSION.COM

• October 12, 2011 5:48 PM CDT
    • I'm a bit late with thanks, but both Panther Burns and Guana Batz sound like perfect matches. that Crazy Cavan version also sounds cool! It's been a while since I listened to that band - so thanks for that ;)

Sean Law said:

I seem to recall Panther Burns covering 'Jungle Fever'. (I think ?)
      The Guana Batz covered Orbison's 'You're My Baby' on their first LP ('Held Down To Vinyl.. At Last', ID Records 1985).
      The Cramps covered 'Problem Child', though it never went beyond the demo stage. It's available on various bootlegs.
      Crazy Cavan 'n' The Rhythm Rockers covered 'Tongue-Tied Jill'.
      All the above mentioned are from the Neo-Rockabilly side of things, no surprise there.

• October 12, 2011 1:04 PM CDT
    • I don't know if you ever caught wind of this, IDON, but Telephone Explosion Records put out a great Roy Orbison tribute LP in January of 2010 called Our Boy Roy... check out the track list:

A Side:
      1. The Camero Wolf Band (Live Fast Die) - Problem Child
      2. Jacuzzi Boys - Anything You Want
      3. Bloodshot Bill - Cause of it All
      4. Haunted George - Rock House
      5. Holy Cobras - Domino 

B Side:
      1. Ty Segall - Pretty Women
      2. Teenanger - You're my Baby
      3. Demon's Claws - It's Over
      4. Red Mass - Running Scared
      5. Cheater Slicks - Crying
      6. Charlie & The Moonhearts - Chicken Hearted

WWW.TELEPHONEEXPLOSION.COM

• October 12, 2011 4:47 PM CDT
    • I liked Young Marble Giants.

Wire, The Cure.....

D.

• October 12, 2011 4:13 PM CDT
    • I've been thinking about the Wikipedia page lately, and I really think it needs to be redone. Right now it's pretty much all about the GaragePunk Podcast Network. Obviously that needs to be a PART of the page, but not the title. The site isn't all about the podcast, and hasn't been for a couple of years now. When you go to GaragePunk.com it takes you to the Hideout, so I think someone needs to fix this entry so that it's retitled "GaragePunk Hideout" and is redone so as to include information about the social networking site here, and then include info in that about the GPPN, as well as GRGPNK Records (Hideout comps), etc.

In fact, when you read it, it ain't even correct! It starts off by saying "The GaragePunk Podcast Network is a leading social network, media center and blog portal..." and that's just wrong! The GaragePunk *Hideout* is the social network, NOT the podcast! See what I mean?

But again, I'm not allowed to do this since I own the site (and they know me by what IP addresses I use), so someone else will have to do the editing for me/us. Any volunteers?

• October 12, 2011 3:59 PM CDT
    • Cool. I was on a roll for a while (Not like THAT.), but , I start to forget what some of the REAL finds were. I've got one Sun 78 , "Feelin' Good" by Little Junior Parker. I've seen the El Dorados a couple of times , just doing guest appearances on "Chic - A - gO gO" and  once , at The Blues Fest , about 23 years ago. If they're still performing , there's no original members , because they're all deceased. They had one member from the second line up , and the SON of an original member. Hey , they sounded great. 

Mike said:

Never really had much sucess finding good 60's stuff.  Mainly 50's.

At a garage sale I found Johnny Cash "I Walk The Line" 4 song EP on Sun with the picture sleeve mixed in with a bunch of mostly 50's pop records.

At a thrift: Eddie Cash "Doing All Right" 7" on Peak http://youtu.be/QCi3auOuWOE

At an antique mall type place, a box of 78's all in close to near mint condition which is rare enough for about 50 cents each:

Carl Perkins "Blue Suede Shoes" on Sun

Warren Smith " Ubangi Rock" on Sun

Little Richard "Slippin & Slidin" on Specialty

and dozen or two of Doo Woppers, from the El Dorados, Flamingos, Cadillacs, Spiders etc etc.

• October 12, 2011 3:52 PM CDT
    • I don't know...If you ever see Kid Congo (And , you should , if you can.), you could ask him. I don't think he'd mind , if , of course , you're respectful about it. There's probably a Gun Club /Pierce website or two that could help you , too.

Tommy Careless said:

I've always wanted to know where Jeffrey Lee Pierce was buried too. Anyone know ?

~T