Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 16, 2011 8:19 PM CDT
    • Pagans. 'Nuff said.

• October 16, 2011 7:13 PM CDT
    • Pretty damn cool, thanks. They were a band that I never really looked into.

whatwave dave said:

Lately i just can't seem to get enough DOA...saw singer Joe Shithead do an instore last week and bought the DOA book (Talk- Action=0 by Joe). They might fit what you're looking for...Vancouver punk from 1978 that is still around to this day.

• October 16, 2011 6:24 PM CDT
    •  

Lately i just can't seem to get enough DOA...saw singer Joe Shithead do an instore last week and bought the DOA book (Talk- Action=0 by Joe). They might fit what you're looking for...Vancouver punk from 1978 that is still around to this day.

• October 16, 2011 6:00 PM CDT
    • Well, I guess I'll have to check them out now. Just out of the blue, my parents knew Bobby Soxx from the Stick Men with Ray Guns growing up and they said he was about as crazy as you can imagine.

joey fuckup said:

Ha, well, the small rock 'n' roll world we live in...G.G. was best friends with Jeff, matter of fact they recorded together as the Murder Junkies way back in the day. There is an album out of their collaborations, and they did a lot of shows together.

• October 16, 2011 5:21 PM CDT
    • Ha, well, the small rock 'n' roll world we live in...G.G. was best friends with Jeff, matter of fact they recorded together as the Murder Junkies way back in the day. There is an album out of their collaborations, and they did a lot of shows together.

• October 16, 2011 5:03 PM CDT
    • Not so sure about the whole southern vibe but otherwise the bottles to the head thing sounds like GG Allin, which reminded me of another punk band I like: The Jabbers.

joey fuckup said:

Well, one band that came out in the early '80's (and are still around) are ANTiSEEN. Not sure if you are familiar with them, but the lead singer belts out some throaty vocals over ballsy Southern hardcore punk. One of his trademarks is to take a broken bottle and repeatedly jab it into his forehead until blood is pouring down his face. He's done this so many times, he now just has scar tissue on his brow. I've gotten to hang out with the band and interview its frontman Jeff Clayton for a podcast I used to be on. He's actually a nice guy, but it's balls out fury when he hits the stage. The band are Southerners, so expect Confederate flags, pro wrestling homages (they've done shows before with barb wire strung up on the stage), hardcore covers of old honky tonk songs, and salutes to the American troops. They're pretty much the real deal.

• October 16, 2011 4:58 PM CDT
    • Well, one band that came out in the early '80's (and are still around) are ANTiSEEN. Not sure if you are familiar with them, but the lead singer belts out some throaty vocals over ballsy Southern hardcore punk. One of his trademarks is to take a broken bottle and repeatedly jab it into his forehead until blood is pouring down his face. He's done this so many times, he now just has scar tissue on his brow. I've gotten to hang out with the band and interview its frontman Jeff Clayton for a podcast I used to be on. He's actually a nice guy, but it's balls out fury when he hits the stage. The band are Southerners, so expect Confederate flags, pro wrestling homages (they've done shows before with barb wire strung up on the stage), hardcore covers of old honky tonk songs, and salutes to the American troops. They're pretty much the real deal.

• October 16, 2011 4:50 PM CDT
    • The Stooges were always kind of my basis for what punk should sound and look like and honestly, the Dead Boys were really the only first wave band (to me) that approached the vocal and physical ferocity of Iggy...Radio Birdman and The Saints may have been a close second but were pretty tame and later, The Germs were pretty damn raw.

Can you guys suggest any other punk bands (preferably from the first wave or early hardcore scene) that have that kind of spit and blood delivery, rather than the more tuneful Ramones/Buzzcocks vibe.

• October 16, 2011 6:53 PM CDT
    • Hey Chris,

Cool that you bumped this old post.  As for an update, I've been demoing songs for the rest of my band on garageband, but still outsource our actually recording.

I find I can get a decent guitar tone but like you, I am never satisfied with the vocal track...  and like you I think it might just be my voice !

~T  

• October 16, 2011 3:49 PM CDT
    • Hey there! I'm using GarageBand to record guitar/vocal demos... Have recorded my guitar part and I'm happy with the sound quality BUT very disappointed with the vocs! (maybe it's just my voice!) Anyone got any suggestions how to make the vocal side of things sound stronger/gnarlier on Garageband? Any settings you can recommend? Thanks!!!

• October 16, 2011 4:25 PM CDT
    • Simply Saucer were Incredible live!!!! They were able to re-create that Cyborgs revisited sound so well!!! It's the Theremin that really makes it!!!

doornail said:

yeah, love Basement 5 and I bet Simply Saucer was freakin' incredible, what a great band.  Thanks for the compliment my brotha'.  doornail

• October 16, 2011 3:47 PM CDT
    • In the 60's , a lot of what we now call "Garage " bands got their asses beat by Rednecks , Greasers , Jocks and the like. I'm sure there have been many Garage bands since the 80's that have had guys who did'nt have the guts to get up on stage , themselves  , hurl bottles at them , or pick fights during , or after , the show . Why ?

Because these poor excuses for men did'nt hear or see something
      that satisfied their spoiled brat - big baby macho egos , or were threatened because maybe some of the women stopped listening to them talk about the Football game long enough to watch the band , instead.....

JJ Rassler from DMZ told me a bout a show they did with The Ramones in Cambridge , Massachusetts in 1976. These jockboys were'nt getting their satisfaction , and beat up a couple of members of DMZ during The Ramones' set. There's a bootleg of the show in question , you can hear those chickenshits , loud and clear , busting heads and breaking glass. There's always a chance for violence , whether it's at a "Punk" or "Garage" show, when you get sexually and emotonally insecure guys who've been used to getting their own way , pretty much all their lives ,thrown into the mix.  When more Jocks started getting into Punk Rock in the 90's , it became more and more the case. Hell , I had this big Football guy knock me down to the floor at a Man or Astro Man show , once . There was no "PIT" going , of course. He called foul on ME , because I pushed him back , telling me I did'nt know how to have fun. That's a laugh.

The Terrorists said:

Garage is trendy because it's a safe word-- nobody ever got beat-up cause they played "garage." Unlike punk... 

I've heard many bands that are definitely punk-influenced and whose members have never heard a garage band before except for maybe The Sonics, and i even doubt that much. They don't even hear the music that those garage bands grew up listening to, which is the key to coming up with a believable sound. If you honestly don't listen to rock n roll and blues, your "garagey" sound is likely to come up quite dull.

Not only is a safe word, but it also implies you went through the trouble of listening to music that isn't mainstream, which makes you hip. If only that was true.

These people won't stop at garage, i've heard bands claim they play gospel and surf influenced music and I just dont' hear it. 

• October 16, 2011 12:07 PM CDT
    • that usually doesn't cut it with potentially interested listeners not familiar with your music. sifting through the gazillion choices requires some specific glittering shiny object word or phrase. sad and as unhappy as it may  be the term rock n roll is meaningless.( FUCK!! NOBODY CAN EVEN AGREE ON HOW TO SPELL IT!!!!!) to one person it means you may be death metal or to another you could be jimmy buffet or you could be a 1953 rhythm and blues offshoot. it would take longer to describe what you mean by rock and roll than to describe yourself. clubs, bookers, websites, bloggers and online mags or whatever will not even bother to listen to an unknown quantity without a stinkin' category marker. we really and truly do not know what category we are supposed to be stuck in. and its a sure bet that like yourself many other bands do not now what they are until someone else tells them..
      Axel Björnsson said:

I was onetime obsessed with analyzing my music, talked endless about it. I'm still obsessed with it but I keep it to myself because I think it's dull to describe my art to another person. Recently I just tell people that i play Rock 'n Roll.

• October 16, 2011 10:58 AM CDT
    • I was onetime obsessed with analyzing my music, talked endless about it. I'm still obsessed with it but I keep it to myself because I think it's dull to describe my art to another person. Recently I just tell people that i play Rock 'n Roll.

• October 15, 2011 2:36 PM CDT
    • surf influenced gospel is really hard to pull off. believe me we've tried.

• October 15, 2011 2:08 PM CDT
    • Garage is trendy because it's a safe word-- nobody ever got beat-up cause they played "garage." Unlike punk... 

I've heard many bands that are definitely punk-influenced and whose members have never heard a garage band before except for maybe The Sonics, and i even doubt that much. They don't even hear the music that those garage bands grew up listening to, which is the key to coming up with a believable sound. If you honestly don't listen to rock n roll and blues, your "garagey" sound is likely to come up quite dull.

Not only is a safe word, but it also implies you went through the trouble of listening to music that isn't mainstream, which makes you hip. If only that was true.

These people won't stop at garage, i've heard bands claim they play gospel and surf influenced music and I just dont' hear it. 

• October 16, 2011 11:58 AM CDT
    • beach bums must ddddddiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

• October 16, 2011 11:02 AM CDT
    • You have probably heard that one. But I think it is the best of the best.

• October 15, 2011 11:30 AM CDT
    • Check this out:

This is a very rare radio interview with Fela Kuti recorded in London, 1970. 

The track called 'Who're You' is featured as part of the original interview and is available on the latest Soundway album, Nigeria Afrobeat Special: The New Explosive Sound in 1970s Nigeria. 

www.soundwayrecords.com

If anyone has any other '60s/'70s afrobeat links, please post 'em!

• October 15, 2011 8:24 PM CDT
    • http://www.classicbands.com/banned.html

whats your views on censorship?!

banned songs, speak your mind lyricists.

Why dont you free your mind and your ass will follow:

According to the above site not a lot has happened of late.

Has it all gone so horribly weird during the nighties and the noughties?

• October 15, 2011 4:19 PM CDT
    • New music this week from Thee GravemenScott H. BiramVernon SélavyAcid Baby JesusSpanking Charlene, and a trio of Damaged Goods newbies – The Spartan Dreggs, Thee Spivs and Piney Gir!

Download (only available in AAC this week) or stream the entire Oct. 14 show right here.

2000 lb. Werewolf – The Neanderthals 
      Bursting Love – The Bloody Tomahawks
      My Girlfriend is a Werewolf – Thee Gravemen
      Teenage Werewolf – Chicken Diamond
      Werewolf Soup – John Wesley Coleman
      Werewolves in Heels – Thee Cormans

15 Minutes – Thee Spivs
      And Darkness Engulfed His Eyes – The Spartan Dreggs
      River Knows Me – Vernon Sélavy
      Mud Brown Mistress – The Something Men

Only Lovers – The Shotglass Killers
      She’s So Crazy – Mickey
      Jesus Didn’t Try Hard Enough to Save My Soul – The Gaye Blades
      Walk Through that Door – The Satellites
      Everything is Different Now – The Wrong Words
      She’s A Rainbow – Davila 666

Here’s Looking at You – Piney Gir
      Honest I Do – The Innocents

Local Lunchbox
      Love is a Wonderful Thing- Wanderer’s Rest
      Alaxander – Plasticland
      Processes of the Silverness – Plasticland
      I’m Cryin’ – The Faros

Dog Meat – Flamin Groovies
      Bad Day – Light Bulb Alley
      Pablo – Glambilly
      Pneumonia – Bassholes
      By the Hand – The Puffy Areolas

Get Along – Mikal Cronin
      Let Me Look at the Sun – The Hot Dogs
      Across the Sky – Henry’s Funeral Shoe

Nervous Around Pretty Girls – Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass Kickin’ Team
      Keep You Around – The Party Lights
      Canarsie – Spanking Charlene

Already Made Up Your Mind – Tommy Keene
      For the Last Time – The Insomniacs
      Hooked – Bobby Marchan
      Baby Help Me – The Detroit Cobras
      I Don’t Need a Reason – Muck & the Mires
      Bandit of Love – Jenny Dee & the Deliquents

Homo Sapiens – Acid Baby Jesus
      Primitiv – Jack of Heart
      Santa Muerte – Ray Daytona & the Googoobombos
      Caldonia – Carl Perkins

Gun-Diddy-I-Die – The Masonics
      Jungle Drums – Dex Romweber Duo
      The Chase – Bobby Fuller 
      The Boots Are Made for Walkin’ – Annie B. & the Vagabond Co.
      Hair on My Chinny Chin Chin – Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs

Born in Jail – Scott H. Biram
      Represent – Left Lane Cruiser
      Waitin’ – Molly Gene One Whoaman Band

• October 15, 2011 2:42 PM CDT
    • Keep posting there man:):)

Dead Boy said:

Hi Zane.  No problem!  Yes, I'm a fan of Dead Boys!  I learned English grammer by myself, but I still don't remember many English words, so I use a translation site, but I can't believe it!  However, I use it as a spell cheker or so.

I'm came from Japan.  My fave bands are too many!  I love Detroit bands like Iggy & the Stooges, MC5, Sonic's Rendezvous Band, DAM.  Also, many bands which were influenced by them, like the Damned, the Saints, Radio Birdman, the Scientists, the Birthday Party etc.  Ah, I love Crime, too!  And many punk, new wave, grunge and 60's 80's garage (surf) bands.  And some of late 70's and early 80's reggae / Dub like Augustus Pablo, King Tubby...  Also, I found that there're some killer and great tunes on 60's and early 70's (esp.) Italian film soundtracks a couple years ago!  (I think a most famous composer is Ennio Morikone, for example.)

What have you been listening to lately??

There's Sleazy's thread "What's spinning right now?" on main page here, I post it (though, everything are video clips), so if you have a time, check it out.  I'm listening to various tunes on the You Tube, because there're many rare and out of print stuff recentlly! :)  I sometimes find an awesome tune!

• October 15, 2011 2:40 PM CDT
    • Hi back at ya ......no probs, I'm an 'ol 58 er.......born in '58 that is:):):)!!!!! My first 45rpm :):)was Little Richard's Lucille....still gives me chills up my spine:)!! You don't say about Rudi....the Fuzztones are kick ass though....got all of their albums too:):)

Zane Arillotta said:

Hi Sleazy! You have a wide variety of likes in music, so do I! I started collecting records when I was 5 years old with help from my mom who used to scratch a line on the A side of singles so I knew what song was the "hit". Not much time passed before I told my mom "there's a whole nother song on the other side!!!" Yep, discovering the B side of singles made me quite a rebel in my neighborhood among us toddlers....before you knew it , I was like a B side Queen, I could name the B side of almost every hit single...anyway, I love a lot of solo pop artists like Petulia Clark and Nancy Sinatra and my fave ....LuLu...Tom Jones Tommy Roe...and a man I always wanted to marry ...Johnny Rivers but that's only if Jeff Beck isn't available! ! I started dancing when I was very young and all of the stuff my teacher played was instrumentals and I have a tons of different kinds of music. Bowie was one of the biggest influences in my life and I had a aqua blue Bowie cut in 1973 which actually not a lot of people had huh? And just a few years later punk came along and I fell in love with music all over again!!! So how old are you if you don't mind my asking? You seem to know a lot about early rock n roll. You have to keep in mind that even though I'm probably older than most of you...I was still too young to even be seeing the bands I was seeing...as for Lana, No, I don't know her but I did her astrology chart for her a few years ago...(I'm an astrologer among other things...) as a favor for Rudi whom I DO know. However and here's some nice gossip for this site....Lana forbade Rudi to keep in touch with me and we are no longer friends!