Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 14, 2011 11:35 AM CDT
    • What I'm going to say here is by no means important, nor is it going to part the rock 'n' roll sea, but I personally think Little Steven should have, or should call his show something else other than what it goes by now. I mean "Underground Garage" is a cool sounding name, IF the show was JUST THAT. Don't get me wrong, it's fine that he plays a variety of music, after all, it is his show, he can play whatever he wants or sees fit. But it would be a lot more fitting if he just called it something like "Little Steven's Rock 'N' Roll (whatever)", which may sound lame, but at least it won't come across as advertising itself being an all garage show. For people who aren't familiar with garage music will come to his show and get a distorted idea of what the genre is. And yes, I have listened to his show on the radio (when my shit rock station here carried it), and it was refreshing to hear '60's garage mixed in with newer bands that I liked. But there was others added into the mix that had me scratching my head, as has been mentioned in this discussion. Whatever, he plays what he wants, I just don't think he should advertise it with such a banner of the scene. If you do think about it, people who have no clear idea on what garage is are going to think that bands like U2 and Green Day are relevant to garage rock 'n' roll, when they don't...Bottom line: Don't promote yourself (or show) as something you may not be. I host the "Hayride To Hell" podcast, and even though I play country music, I don't promote it as a country show.

• October 14, 2011 8:27 AM CDT
    • I'm not trying to get smart with you; I'm actually saying I agree with you about how long this has taken, and I'd like to know myself.

kopper said:

And I'm not asking YOU that question! Why do you feel like you have to answer for the guy?

MikeL said:
      Well, Kopper, I can't answer that question.  I've been asking it myself.  I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

kopper said:
      I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but I just think it's very strange that someone of Little Steven's, um, stature(?), intuition(?), wherewithal(?), organizational skills(?), connections(?) can't figure out a way to launch a friggin' website. It was in "beta" over two years ago, then it disappeared. C'mon, it's not rocket science. Hire someone to build the site or set up your own Ning network. That shit can be done in one afternoon. I know because I've done it myself!

MikeL said:
      I've had similar thoughts.  You may be right.

doornail said:
      I have a sneakin' suspicion that he is having trouble as you well know, kopper trying to get everything and everyone on the same page.  Even though a lot of music now is going back to independent labels, they are trying to territorialize everything and not allow certain whoevers to be on other sites where money might be made without them.  Or, at least that is my opinion.  The cake is carved up way to small for this type of endeavor at this point of the record industry, no matter what type of genre you are talking about.  

MikeL said:

Kopper, I'm not trying to start a fight with you, but I met Little Steven a couple of weeks ago in NYC when I went up there to see the Cocktail Slippers.  I asked him about Fuzztopia, and he said it will be launched next year.  My guess is that maybe he's going to do this in conjunction with the ten year anniversary of the launch of the Underground Garage, which will be this April.  Yes, I know you think he's lying to me, or he's just saying that in the hope that it will happen, but I still wanted to say this anyway.

Now, I will say this...it sure has taken a ridiculously long time to get this thing up and running.  It reminds me of a documentary about the making of "Heaven's Gate," an epic western that went way over schedule and budget when it was being filmed.  I have no idea why this is the case with fuzztopia, and now I'm starting to think that if fuzztopia ever does get launched, it's going to feel kind of anti-climatic at this point.

BTW, the site has been down for quite some time.  This really isn't news to me.

kopper said:

Not sure what happened, but Little Steven's Fuzztopia site has apparently VANISHED!

www.fuzztopia.com

I guess they realized they couldn't compete with the Hideout after all, nyuck nyuck nyuck...

• October 14, 2011 8:06 AM CDT
    • And I'm not asking YOU that question! Why do you feel like you have to answer for the guy?

MikeL said:

Well, Kopper, I can't answer that question.  I've been asking it myself.  I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

kopper said:
      I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but I just think it's very strange that someone of Little Steven's, um, stature(?), intuition(?), wherewithal(?), organizational skills(?), connections(?) can't figure out a way to launch a friggin' website. It was in "beta" over two years ago, then it disappeared. C'mon, it's not rocket science. Hire someone to build the site or set up your own Ning network. That shit can be done in one afternoon. I know because I've done it myself!

MikeL said:

doornail said:
      I have a sneakin' suspicion that he is having trouble as you well know, kopper trying to get everything and everyone on the same page.  Even though a lot of music now is going back to independent labels, they are trying to territorialize everything and not allow certain whoevers to be on other sites where money might be made without them.  Or, at least that is my opinion.  The cake is carved up way to small for this type of endeavor at this point of the record industry, no matter what type of genre you are talking about.  

MikeL said:

Kopper, I'm not trying to start a fight with you, but I met Little Steven a couple of weeks ago in NYC when I went up there to see the Cocktail Slippers.  I asked him about Fuzztopia, and he said it will be launched next year.  My guess is that maybe he's going to do this in conjunction with the ten year anniversary of the launch of the Underground Garage, which will be this April.  Yes, I know you think he's lying to me, or he's just saying that in the hope that it will happen, but I still wanted to say this anyway.

Now, I will say this...it sure has taken a ridiculously long time to get this thing up and running.  It reminds me of a documentary about the making of "Heaven's Gate," an epic western that went way over schedule and budget when it was being filmed.  I have no idea why this is the case with fuzztopia, and now I'm starting to think that if fuzztopia ever does get launched, it's going to feel kind of anti-climatic at this point.

kopper said:

Not sure what happened, but Little Steven's Fuzztopia site has apparently VANISHED!

www.fuzztopia.com

I guess they realized they couldn't compete with the Hideout after all, nyuck nyuck nyuck...

• October 13, 2011 8:46 PM CDT
    • Well, Kopper, I can't answer that question.  I've been asking it myself.  I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

kopper said:

MikeL said:

doornail said:

MikeL said:

kopper said:

www.fuzztopia.com

• October 13, 2011 7:15 PM CDT
    •  My Beta player does'nt work anymore. The Laserdisc , I'm unsure of.

• October 13, 2011 6:45 PM CDT
    • I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but I just think it's very strange that someone of Little Steven's, um, stature(?), intuition(?), wherewithal(?), organizational skills(?), connections(?) can't figure out a way to launch a friggin' website. It was in "beta" over two years ago, then it disappeared. C'mon, it's not rocket science. Hire someone to build the site or set up your own Ning network. That shit can be done in one afternoon. I know because I've done it myself!

MikeL said:

doornail said:

MikeL said:

kopper said:

www.fuzztopia.com

• October 13, 2011 6:01 PM CDT
    • I've had similar thoughts.  You may be right.

doornail said:

MikeL said:

kopper said:

www.fuzztopia.com

• October 14, 2011 9:35 AM CDT
    • Hi Zane.  I'm not already young, very shy and clean myself up briefly. :D  Too bad, I wasn't video-taped this night.

Hmmm, what do you want to know?  Sorry, my knowledge of English and the Jefferson Airplane is pretty low. :(

• October 13, 2011 7:04 PM CDT
    • Hi Deadboy! Are you "Young Loud And Snotty"? Sorry, I jes couldn't help myself...Thanks for keeping me up to date on Niagara! The clips are wonderful!!! So, tell us more about yourself....

• October 13, 2011 6:57 PM CDT
    • Hi Sleazy! I can see we have the same taste in singers as I'm a huge fan of both Janis Joplin and Grace Slick but unfortunately never saw them live. I especially identified with Grace Slick not just for her voice, but also for her look. She had long dark hair and bangs which is what I've had pretty much most of my life! I think the only KNOWN singer out there right now, or at least known to me in the "mainstream" world of music that has a kick ass rock n roll voice is Josh Stone? What do you think?  I'm sure there's so many more out there that we might hear from but only if they upload their stuff, having to feel like you need to be "signed" to be heard, thankfully, is a thing of the past! Thank gawd that whole "folk singin celtic" phase is gone...at least I think it is....though it sounds pretty, I'd never spend actual money on it...I like my music LOUD!!! Drums of course are favorite!! So, you said you're doing your bit for the female cause....tell us more!!!!!

Zane

• October 14, 2011 2:16 AM CDT
    • Yep and that's fine with me, the local garagescene here is living loudly, it's good to see people check in and try out that kind of sound. I guess it's also not as approachable to people and kids who expect a Strokes kind of show, but then seeing someone gargle some kind of green stuff wearing a hat off underwear and while moving round the stage in dynamo fashion. Or a surf band "that wouldn't sing for the whole night." Maybe they come back, maybe not.

I remember when King Kahn and the Shrines or Jon and the Night Riders would play in our modest town some ten years ago and the place was half full at best - people would just drop in occasionally when a band was on, a lot of great bands only had a slim crowd to stare at the them.

The shirt thing wasn't about the fashion - that's too easy to adapt to, just get it at a thirft store cause you liked the look or whatever, without any relation to the band or ever having heard their music. It was just a good thing seeing someone fly their Punkrock flag with a bit of taste at a otherwise more uninteresting show.

+ That pure Rockabilly ideoligy thing always irked me too, we had a pretty large "Pychobilly" movement here (that being the Meteors and Demented are go idea of psychobilly...) those folks had a hardcore kind of mentality when it came to their music. Like you said, the Sonics were ok to them, possibly because they were kind of big and have their standout place that even ignorant numbskulls will get (sorry for the ranting there). But the fact that there was 60's garage explosion left them cold. Also they dug that clean kind of Rockabilly band that was in for a while in the 90's. Safe to say they had no interest for the 80s Garage scene or the 90's Scumbag Rock'n'roll like New Bomb Turks or the 70's US punk movement.

It's kind of weird when they love the Sonics but not the Wailers, or Carl Perkins but not Charlie Feathers, you know.

John Battles said:

You know , There's always been people who've come and gone with this stuff , and they'll skip really good shows because their hearts are'nt in it , or  they're going thru personal changes.... Maybe "Garage" is too broad a term , and , maybe , it's not broad enough. But , I don't think it should be about fashion. We went thru that in the 80's .Though , unless you lived on the East or West Coasts , you could be forgiven for not knowing there was a "Garage Scene" at the time.

IDON MINE said:

I know that feeling... just for quicks, I saw someone with a Cute Lepers bag at a garage punk un-related show and felt like I had to jump them out of joy.

It's weird though... Local monthly clubs like Voodoo Hop or any other "event" put up half way regularly by DJ's draws quite the crowd here. Places are always packed, but I can't seem to see any faces I know - except for the 3 same weirdos I always meet around.

John Battles said:

Liking Garage Rock has always been a pretty lonely existence...  'Maybe in Barcelona , you could walk down the street and see a Cynics , Electric Prunes or Los Saicos T-shirt on a regular basis. Not here. Maybe not even in a year's time. That does'nt mean people whose tastes you might disagree with should'nt be allowed into "The Club" if they're interested in this kind of music.

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

WHAT WAS A JOKE? THAT YOU PLAY SURF MUSIC? we must be too stupid for this discussion. very little here makes any sense. what will everybody do if they decide that garage is trendy? send angry tweets to the twats who would dare to enjoy "our" music for all the wrong reasons? tried very hard not to judge the sheer ridiculousness of the entire "discussion" but this is really about as pointless as it gets. not to mention the use of a word like "trendy". if you only want "pure" listeners then you better shut it down because it will get pretty lonely pretty quick. even if somebody likes this stuff for a short time and then moves on to post post post electro fucko it will still be good for the scene because they will bring someone else here who may become a lasting fan. don't ever make fun of other people for attempting to share your interests.

• October 13, 2011 8:06 PM CDT
    • our show is FRIDAY NIGHT. tomorrow. we go on first. we hit the stage at 9:30. we have songs on our page. a click will get you a blast in the face with BEAT DOWN!

John Battles said:

Depravos De La Mour ,

Non , VOUS est playing musique Saturday at Le Rouge Line Tap , Oui ? Non mois. Not that I would'nt play there , I just don't think they're ready for me. In fact , it's a pretty safe bet they are'nt. I played at The Heartland Cafe , once , in 1989. What a colossal mistake THAT was , but , I think it was my first paying gig in Chicago . The Heartland did'nt pay me . My friend , the late Stu Coy of Oncoming Traffic , did. 

I think it's more than fair to say we all have different definitions of what is and what is'nt "Garage". That does'nt necessarily mean one party is right and the other is wrong. But , I don't think I'll be able to make it to your show , that night , as I've already made plans to go to the Music Box Massacre Horror Film Fest , and to a Girlie Calendar party , and , if I don't run out of steam , the Dreamerz reunion.

But , thank you for asking. If you have any songs on your page , I'll check 'em out , and try to see your band another time.

Chicago , of course , is legendary for it's back history of Garage bands , but , I've lived here almost 25 years , and I could count all the local bands I've seen , that filled the bill , on both hands , and still have a few fingers left over , even if I included The New Colony Six's one - shot All Garage set , last year. I knew a lot more people who were into this stuff back when Wax Trax (The Record store , NOT the label.) ruled , and the clubs were'nt spread so far apart. It's still "Indie Uber Alles" around here , even moreso than in the days when Dreamerz was the only game in Wicker Park , and Billy Corgan was still working in a crappy used record store on Broadway.

• October 13, 2011 7:39 PM CDT
    • P.S. The one drawback of The Sonics' rise from obscurity is , you'll get people that will accept The Sonics , but nothing else directly related ,like the bands on "Back From The Grave". The Rockabilly crowd , it seems , found out about The Sonics at the Rockabilly fests in Europe.Like , they could'nt have found out about 'em , here.  Now , they love The Sonics , but , with few exceptions , don't want to check out any other Garage music. I don't understand that at all .  To me , liking Rockabilly and not Garage is like liking your Dad , but , not your Mom. If you like one more than the other , that , I can understand. But , if it's good music , what difference does it make?

John Battles said:

I think...Really , sometimes I do....If you present this stuff in the right manner , people will respond to it , favorably , even if they don't have any prior knowledge of it. I used to just play those great records to ANYBODY , Back From The Grave , Wavy Gravy , Sin Alley , etc. , when they came out. I think the only person who took offense happened to be from Germany . This does'nt speak poorly of German people , but of people who are neurotic , as this woman was.    BUT , when you are DJing , sometimes it IS very difficult to show people what they've been missing. We all get idiot requests ( I did a Glam night , recently , and was asked to play Bruce Sprigsteen AND Don Henley!), and people who just don't get it , but for all the complaining I've done , recently ,  I know that people who DO get it are out there. It's a gamble.Sometimes you might have to warm people up a little bit by playing a few well - known songs that still happen to be great. But , if you believe in what you're doing , you can't let the clueless creeps get you down - John.

Captain Galaxy said:

When i spin records here in north germany, i can count the people who dig it on one hand. Most know the Sonics, but if i come with 'Back from the Grave' Stuff and others they never hearded before they are not that interested.

I think it's just lots of people do not know how to handle new impressions and are simply not interested to change because it is much easier to be as you where.

I actually try forcing them to listen to that kind of music because it's me who's the DJ :D But seriously i don't stop to spread Garage as i understand it till i'm rid of it! A man on a mission UAhhhhh!

...ah, jep i think it's not trendy around here :)

• October 13, 2011 7:30 PM CDT
    • I think...Really , sometimes I do....If you present this stuff in the right manner , people will respond to it , favorably , even if they don't have any prior knowledge of it. I used to just play those great records to ANYBODY , Back From The Grave , Wavy Gravy , Sin Alley , etc. , when they came out. I think the only person who took offense happened to be from Germany . This does'nt speak poorly of German people , but of people who are neurotic , as this woman was.    BUT , when you are DJing , sometimes it IS very difficult to show people what they've been missing. We all get idiot requests ( I did a Glam night , recently , and was asked to play Bruce Sprigsteen AND Don Henley!), and people who just don't get it , but for all the complaining I've done , recently ,  I know that people who DO get it are out there. It's a gamble.Sometimes you might have to warm people up a little bit by playing a few well - known songs that still happen to be great. But , if you believe in what you're doing , you can't let the clueless creeps get you down - John.

Captain Galaxy said:

When i spin records here in north germany, i can count the people who dig it on one hand. Most know the Sonics, but if i come with 'Back from the Grave' Stuff and others they never hearded before they are not that interested.

I think it's just lots of people do not know how to handle new impressions and are simply not interested to change because it is much easier to be as you where.

I actually try forcing them to listen to that kind of music because it's me who's the DJ :D But seriously i don't stop to spread Garage as i understand it till i'm rid of it! A man on a mission UAhhhhh!

...ah, jep i think it's not trendy around here :)

• October 13, 2011 7:02 PM CDT
    • Depravos De La Mour ,

Non , VOUS est playing musique Saturday at Le Rouge Line Tap , Oui ? Non mois. Not that I would'nt play there , I just don't think they're ready for me. In fact , it's a pretty safe bet they are'nt. I played at The Heartland Cafe , once , in 1989. What a colossal mistake THAT was , but , I think it was my first paying gig in Chicago . The Heartland did'nt pay me . My friend , the late Stu Coy of Oncoming Traffic , did. 

I think it's more than fair to say we all have different definitions of what is and what is'nt "Garage". That does'nt necessarily mean one party is right and the other is wrong. But , I don't think I'll be able to make it to your show , that night , as I've already made plans to go to the Music Box Massacre Horror Film Fest , and to a Girlie Calendar party , and , if I don't run out of steam , the Dreamerz reunion.

But , thank you for asking. If you have any songs on your page , I'll check 'em out , and try to see your band another time.

Chicago , of course , is legendary for it's back history of Garage bands , but , I've lived here almost 25 years , and I could count all the local bands I've seen , that filled the bill , on both hands , and still have a few fingers left over , even if I included The New Colony Six's one - shot All Garage set , last year. I knew a lot more people who were into this stuff back when Wax Trax (The Record store , NOT the label.) ruled , and the clubs were'nt spread so far apart. It's still "Indie Uber Alles" around here , even moreso than in the days when Dreamerz was the only game in Wicker Park , and Billy Corgan was still working in a crappy used record store on Broadway.

• October 13, 2011 10:02 PM CDT
    • I always find something. I just bought the "Crying Demons" (demonic possession) LP on purple vinyl for .99 cents. I also got a stack of late 60s/70s funk and reggae singles that were all pressed in Jamaica, Belize, and the Barbados. They are in stunning shape and got 57 of them for .50 cents each. I checked them on Collectors Frenzy and they are all $20 to $100 records so I'm listening to them and deciding whether to keep or eBay them. Still cool stuff out there, but you gotta get there first. Too many record hounds these days.

• October 13, 2011 7:52 PM CDT
    • Robert , Nice. .   Man , how cool ARE Paul Revere and The Raiders , anyway ? OK , we'll probably never see The Seeds , The Sonics , ? and The Mysterians or The 13th Floor Elevators in the so - called Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame , but , The Raiders ' induction should be ancient history , by now. They only had a zillion monster hit records , two , count 'em , TWO TV shows , and were plastered all over every Teen mag in the country (And probably , to a lesser extent , in Western Europe.)
      ...AND THEY ROCK LIKE FUCK !!!! The commitee should stop waiting for MORE band members to die (Funny how The Dave Clark Five , The Ramones and The Clash were'nt honored until their frontmen kicked the bucket.) , and just get on with it.
      robert mendoza said:

John,

it is the poster. there is a sticker on the front too that ID's the poster inside.

yeah, i like girls and stuff too :)

John Battles said:

Robert , Did yours come with a poster , or a color photo booklet ? If you answered "Poster" , I THINK YOU'VE GOT A REAL RARITY , THERE..... Just wondering. I still go out with girls and stuff. 

robert mendoza said:
      how funny! i just found a copy of P. Revere and the Raiders "Greatest Hits" in mono, on Columbia, with the poster inside...in near mint condition: it cost me all of $3.00!

John Battles said:
      ..I recently found Paul Revere and The Raiders' first single "Orbit - The Spy" , a killer surf instrumental that had taken me years to find a copy of , even on a compilation. The "A" side was "Beatnik Sticks" , similar to the Hit follow - up , "Like , Long Hair" , but , arguably the better of the two. This was at an antique store that had'nt got anything "New" in for years. I also just found a Joe Maphis 78 in a thrift store , both sides rockin' Instrumentals. Have'nt found any "Garage" 45s , lately.They turn up , sometimes , if you're patient enough to watch paint peel. 

• October 13, 2011 6:56 PM CDT
    • Preparation is definitely the key to a smooth running show! I plan out my playlist plus about 5 extra tracks (just in case) and take a few notes on each band, song, or album. I also take a few notes if the band is out on tour or has a new album coming out. To help increase listeners, I post my upcoming show on a few other social networking sites and tag the bands I'm playing. If they know they're gettin air-time, they'll promote it to their fans!

• October 13, 2011 6:36 PM CDT
    • you can get a 50 listener Shoutcast server (128 Kbps and a 24/7 auto DJ) for $10.95 per month here. http://makeavoice.com/shoutcast/index.php

We use it for the station where I broadcast LIVE, every Tuesday night!

• October 13, 2011 5:00 PM CDT
    • I noticed they switch off , a little , from Japanese to English. If you ever see Japanese TV , or look at the text in their magazines , they will go back and forth , sometimes , from one to the other. Even some of their movies will have limited English dialogue....I saw the undubbed , Japanese release version of "Godzilla Vs. Biolante". The American characters in the film say things like "That fucking Godzilla! " "Goddamn you ,  Godzilla !" , as if we really talk that way.

Oh , yeah. We do.

John Battles said:

I have a video , somewhere , of a Japanese girl group , all dressed like Cherie Curie , blonde wigs , stack heels , bustierre and all , doing a Disco version of "Cherry Bomb". I could'nt tell you who it was , because it was just on a compilation of Japanese Pop and MOR bands , and most of them are not identified. 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

I DJ in Japan with a bunch of locals cats and a very nice one called MEG THE EYEBALL played THE GIRLS at a recent gig! It was a note for note version of "Cherry Bomb" but with Japanese lyrics... lo and behold I found it on Youtube!

Suzanne Walter said:

Killer fucking thread, and maybe you can help me. There's a great Japanese girl-garage-band called The Girls. I can't find them anywhere except to stumble on them occassionally, cross-referenced in Japanese, which is understandable I just don't read Japanese and am never sure if I'm looking at the right band. I would like to buy the vinyl straight from the label, if I could find them. Shonen Knife, Pinky Piglets, Buffalo Daughter and Pizzacato Five are all bands I enjoy.

• October 13, 2011 4:46 PM CDT
    • I have a video , somewhere , of a Japanese girl group , all dressed like Cherie Curie , blonde wigs , stack heels , bustierre and all , doing a Disco version of "Cherry Bomb". I could'nt tell you who it was , because it was just on a compilation of Japanese Pop and MOR bands , and most of them are not identified. 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

I DJ in Japan with a bunch of locals cats and a very nice one called MEG THE EYEBALL played THE GIRLS at a recent gig! It was a note for note version of "Cherry Bomb" but with Japanese lyrics... lo and behold I found it on Youtube!

Suzanne Walter said:

Killer fucking thread, and maybe you can help me. There's a great Japanese girl-garage-band called The Girls. I can't find them anywhere except to stumble on them occassionally, cross-referenced in Japanese, which is understandable I just don't read Japanese and am never sure if I'm looking at the right band. I would like to buy the vinyl straight from the label, if I could find them. Shonen Knife, Pinky Piglets, Buffalo Daughter and Pizzacato Five are all bands I enjoy.

• October 13, 2011 4:41 PM CDT
    • KING BROS. , THOSE GUYS WERE BATSHIT CRAZY !!!!   I was'nt into their music , heavily ,but they put on one wildass show.

My lady friend , who's Amerasian ( Her Mom's Taiwanese.)  , her band opened for them. One of them said "THIS SONG...IS ..CALLED ...CHINESE MEETS JAPANESE IN THE USA !!!". My friend said ,  "Oh , my God ! That's exactly what happened , too !".

DammitDave said:

King Brothers!

• October 13, 2011 4:26 PM CDT
    • Sturnin' Bread ? That's pretty funny. Maybe they had difficulty saying "Shortnin' Bread" , phonetically. Or maybe they only had it on a tape....It's possible. I'm not making fun. This is the old standard "Shortnin' Bread" (I might be misspelling the misspelling of "Shortening" , here..Sorry.) , rocked up by The Readymen and others...I think Hugh Barrett and The Victors ("There Was a Fungus Among Us")  did it , too....The Cramps based their cover version on The Readymen's version.
      "
      Caveman said: