Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 21, 2011 7:04 AM CDT
    • If people aren't too snobby around here, we can get you a really huge list that'll keep you busy for the next ten years. Here's five of my faves from that era.

1. The Pretty Things

2. The Remains

3. The Monks

4. The Yardbirds

5. The Who

• September 21, 2011 1:21 AM CDT
    • Lately I've rediscovered The Animals who's distinct sound led me to discover and fall in love with Them (Van Morrison). Do any of you out there know of bands that would also reflect that specific sound? And what is the name of that specific genre? I've heard it called Blues Beat...idk.

Thanks to All...

Julia

• September 21, 2011 6:57 AM CDT
    • I saw him play with the E Street Band in 1981. Though I wasn't much of fan of his, this show knocked me on my ass. 5 1/2 hours performance, the band smoked, so did he. Still never bought any records of his since then but he'll always be dear to my heart.

• September 21, 2011 5:03 AM CDT
    • LOL!  Well, don't feel too bad.  Like I said, this article is eerily convincing.

Axel Björnsson said:

I have a confession. I thought he was actually releasing this album.. Than friend of mine point to me that this website was a joke. I have been searching for it for download for several days lol..

• September 20, 2011 11:51 PM CDT
    • I have a confession. I thought he was actually releasing this album.. Than friend of mine point to me that this website was a joke. I have been searching for it for download for several days lol..

• September 20, 2011 7:38 AM CDT
    • Hey, a great parody is a great parody, regardless of the target.  

rockhousesally said:

hilarious! i'd say it's a bit late for a spiritual awakening bruce-y boy... (and yes, i'm one of those snobs that hate the boss, sorry people. many boyfriend's have attempted the conversion. no can do.) but a very interesting article none-the-less :)

• September 20, 2011 7:37 AM CDT
    • As much as I like Springsteen, I have to agree with this...I just don't buy into that "working class hero" persona anymore.  He started that trip back in 1978 with the "Darkness" album, and back then I think he was very sincere about it, but now he's just too far removed from that reality to grasp it.  

Besides, most working class people vote Republican nowadays, so he's definitely not reaching that audience with his message.  Most of them shape their opinions based on what they watch on Fox News, or what they hear on Glenn Beck's radio show.

Bald Bill & His One Man Band said:

How will the struggling immigrant workers scraping by in the 23rd-century carbonate mines on Mars afford to go to a stadium & pay $$$ - $$$$ while he pretends he's performing for the working class?

• September 21, 2011 4:23 AM CDT
    • Point is...Rap sucks...

• September 21, 2011 12:28 AM CDT
    • Cheers Depravos de la Mour and everyone, thanks for your comments. For whatever reason I keep following this thread and a thought just hit me again that I had a few days ago...If it IS trendy then why do people who listen to it constantly have to defend ourselves and LEGITIMIZE IT as though it were not even a real genre? I am thinking of some threads I read on the GPH forums a couple of years ago about how someone actually deleted the Wikipedia page saying it was just made up to get traffic to this website.  Seems like a strange contradiction. I understand that that was a little ways back, but have things really changed that much in the space of a few short years? I wonder... Additionally, think about most people's reaction when you tell them what kind of music you like (not people on here but just random people you know.) For me, most of the time they don't say anything, they don't even know what it is, or you then (again) have to legitimize it as a genre by offering The White Stripes as an example- because that is the only one they know. They will also probably only remember WS as a cultural time blip from the early 2000's. (BTW I am a huge WS fan- but think about how nowadays no one really talks about them that much any more, or I guess I should say no one talks about them in the same cultural context anymore; you still see Jack White on TV, in different music projects, ect.) Or maybe I am just tuned out to popular culture don't know :)

• September 20, 2011 2:23 AM CDT
    • Furthermore, The White Stripes are a fine band, up until 'Elephant'.  Those first few albums were great!

• September 20, 2011 2:22 AM CDT
    • The thing I can't down with in regards to the new crop of 'garage' bands is they are all so fucking wimpy!  Where's the danger, the excitement, the punk rock?  I like psych, and I like some stoner-y kinda stuff too, but I need some energy and passion and spite and hate in my rocknroll to really get me going.  I rarely feel an element of danger bands live shows these days, it's either straight up 'bug' music (see: The Flintstones) or it's just so wimpy that I can't get behind it.  I don't need a GG Allin show, but c'mon, make me feel like I might get hurt if I get a little too close to the stage, y'know?!  GIMME DANGER LITTLE STRANGER

• September 21, 2011 12:00 AM CDT
    • OK, first of all, you should probably post this in the Destroy All Music group forum. I'm not sure why you posted it in this regional forum, other than the fact that you might think the band may be from a Midwestern town, but then again you didn't mention that in your post, so who knows! So yeah, post this in that other group (esp. since it's probably an '80s hardcore band, anyway). A lot more members there and people who may be able to help you out.

By the way, if you really want to find out who did the song, rip an MP3 of it and upload it to your profile or attach it to your topic. That way people can actually HEAR the song. It's quite easy these days to take a simple mini plug and run it from a cassette deck into a computer with Audacity (PC) or GarageBand (Mac) and do a digital recording, then export the file as an MP3.

• September 20, 2011 9:30 PM CDT
    • I had to hunt the tape down & blow the dust off (these Maxell metal tapes are amazingly enduring) I'm having a hard time making out certain parts, but some of the lyrics are:

I remember never letting pain remain

forever lost, falling pieces of a fallen man

for me & then it comes.

It happened so long ago, below my clear sight

Broken pieces of a broken heart as autumn fades to white.

Still a chill in the air, broken skies are everywhere

But I can't complain. The cold keeps out the rain.

Gotta fight a fire from a spark inside my mind.

Can't seem to learn the dreams that seem to burn.

Looking back to the forests & fields again

I'd make you understand if I could only dreams remain where I stood.

There's more, I'm just not sure how much stopping, rewinding & playing a 20 year old cassette tape will tolerate. Again, I'm fairly certain I have some of these wrong, but it's the best I can decipher.I guess my next move is to figure out how to turn a track from a cassette into a file that I can upload to my playlist.

Frank N. Stroud said:

Got any more lyrics?..........this is tantalizing.

• September 20, 2011 6:45 PM CDT
    • love my eastwood qualty made set neck p90s rock solid stop bar tail peice mine is a baritone. i hade a dano bari stolen and relaced it with this monster. tuned (BEAdf#b) worth the money i could give a crap about it looking like Ramones or Ventures its a great guitar

• September 20, 2011 4:07 PM CDT
    • WHAT?!?!?!!!

Mina said:

Never heard of them... I'll look some of their stuff up. :)

• September 20, 2011 1:14 PM CDT
    • First, you can listten 2 tunes of Eight Ball Scrratch which was Elka's band (before Trashwomen) at youtube.

I think both tunes weren't released., but both comp. "LockedIn TO Surf & Rock 'N' Roll Instrumentals each Part 1 & 2 has their tracks, and both are killer!! (Live recordings, though.)  After that, I agree with Kopper.

• September 20, 2011 12:22 PM CDT
    • There are really only two LPs, but both are essential. The Trashwomen vs. Deep Space on Repent Records and Spend the Night With... on Estrus.

More info on live albums, singles, comps, etc. can be found on their page on Grunnen Rocks:

http://www.grunnenrocks.nl/bands/t/trashwom.htm

• September 20, 2011 11:20 AM CDT
    • Was shown a few songs by these guys the other day, thought they were fantastic...any guidance on where to start with them album wise?? I need to hear more!

• September 20, 2011 1:01 PM CDT
    • Agreed, but getting them in synch afterwards can be a little tricky... I know, I've done several!

Even with two identical digital devices, they're going to be a little bit out of synch after an hour... 

As the saying goes: In theory, theory and practice should be identical; In practice, they rarely are.

• September 20, 2011 12:48 PM CDT
    • One thing you should consider is getting a line in on the mixing board during the show and then mix that together with your live recording from in front of the stage. Talk to the soundman and see if he'll let you plug an iPod or something into it to record off the board. You won't get the crowd noise, but the mix will be much better and you won't have the audio volume distortion that you will get when trying to record from the crowd. Mixing them together later will give you some crowd noise (cheering, etc.) mixed in with a much better live music recording.

• September 20, 2011 3:51 AM CDT
    • From MY neck 'o the woods.....Australia.......WOLFY & THE BAT CUBS.....farout man :):):)

• September 20, 2011 2:24 AM CDT
    • Jim Jones Revue