Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 13, 2011 4:01 PM CDT
    • Another Devil Dogs song that comes to mind:

• August 13, 2011 3:22 PM CDT
    • i love songs about ugly chicks, too. here are two of da best!

• August 13, 2011 12:29 PM CDT
    • Ona recent episode of The Big Enchilada, I played "Davy, You Upset My Home" by Joe Tex. It's about a guy who's jealous because his girl is really into Davy Crockett. (I think this is from the late '50s when Davy Crockett was a very popular TV show.)

The girl even buys Davy Crockett false teeth because, Joe sings, "I punched her in the mouth last night."

Another line: "I whipped her so until she went insane. And now she wants to buy herself a Davy Crockett brain."

• August 13, 2011 11:41 AM CDT
    • This Jabbers song fits the bill as well as this Angry Samoans tune that by today's standards are certainly offensive!

• August 13, 2011 8:30 AM CDT
    • Anything by The Macc Lads, especially the re-write of Bandaids feed the world!

and The Misfits Last Caress of course!

• August 12, 2011 7:39 PM CDT
    • How about "Under My Thumb" by the Rolling Stones?  The singer is bragging about his girlfriend's submissiveness, and the line that really gets me is when he sings, "I can still look at someone else."  Yeah, I know it's a mild example, but it's the one that stands out in my mind.

Oh, wait, I just thought of a far more horrible example..."Little Bit of Whore" by Johnny Thunders when he briefly worked with Wayne Kramer.  It's a great rock'n'roll song, but the lyrics can NEVER be heard in mixed company.

• August 12, 2011 7:32 PM CDT
    • Touche!!!

Val C said:

GG Allin was such...an awesome creep.

• August 12, 2011 6:19 PM CDT
    • GG Allin was such...an awesome creep.

• August 12, 2011 5:50 PM CDT
    • Geeze, how about anything by the Devil Dogs!!

• August 12, 2011 4:39 PM CDT
    • To be honest though to get the Guardian bitching about a band or music genre you don't even need to sing about rapists or spastics. All you need to do is form a band that doesn't for whatever reason have any ethnic minorities in it. No kidding, they ran a story a few months ago claiming the subtle racism of British indie rock.

I think just about anything comes out of Mark's mouth is un PC, it's Guttermouth's main draw.

• August 12, 2011 4:26 PM CDT
    •  

Devo's Mongoloid

Sex Pistol's Bodies

• August 13, 2011 12:05 PM CDT
    • Just posted this on my music blog.

I was just getting used to the Amazon and Google music clouds when along comes Spotify. For the past couple of weeks or so, this is where I've been listening to most of my music.

And creating playlists has become one of the most addictive internet time-wasters I've ever  indulged in.

Basically Spotify allows you to stream about 15 million (!) songs. The whole song, not just 30-second clips. And not just well known groups -- lots of bitchen obscurities.

If you're on the free plan, which I am at this point,you have to endure an occasional audio ad. (Most of these currently are house ads telling you about various features of Spotify and urging you to upgrade to a pay plan. A few spots by record companies turn up

Other people have written better beginners' guides to Spotify than I could do. (Here's one).

I just wanted to post links to my playlists. Subscribe to your favorites. Most of them will be evolving as new stuff is added. Here they are:

* Big Enchilada Super Smashes:  A sampling of songs that have been played on The Big Enchilada podcast.

* Psychedelic '60s: An hour or so of late '60s psychedelia, mainly stuff they played on the radio in 67-68.

Psychobilly Madness: Greasy punks with stand-up basses. Hotrods! Switchblades!  Zombies!

* Rock 'n' Soul: Everywhere I go from Kansas City up to Maine, Rock 'n' Soul Music's driving people insane!

* Frank Furter's Fave: A tribute to the American hotdog.

* The Great Country Albums: From Marty Robbins to The Waco Brothers, some of my favorite country albums of all time. (No "greatest hits" compilations here. These are all albums that were meant to be heard as such.) 11 hours of music here!

*  Country Underground : Call it underground country, call it XXX country, call it the music Nashville does NOT want you to hear (hey, that sounds familiar!) Here's an hour or so of the stuff

* '70s Country Jukebox: An hour's worth of country classics (and some shoulda-been classics) that they actually used to play on AM country stations.

* Alt Country, The First Generation: This is country rock from the mid '60s through the mid 70s.

* Gospel Glory: I went nuts with this one. Six hours of Lord-praising, soul-saving Black gospel, mostly from the 40s and 50s, though I've got some great Staples Singers tunes in here.

* Remember the Fabulous '90s: Grunge and more. Mostly early '90s stuff.

* Songs I Heard on My Transistor Radio: I almost called this my "Measles Mix" because when I caught the measles in the early '60s (I was in third grade) I found solace and discovered a whole new world of music in a little transistor radio my mom gave me. It wasn't much bigger than my iPod is now. At first it was just a way to escape the boredom of having to stay home from school but being too sick to hang out with friends. The music became an obsession. Come to think of it, it still is. Here are some of the songs from the pre-Beatles '60s that led me to become the rock 'n' roll maniac I am today.

• August 12, 2011 10:57 PM CDT
    • Anyone living in the NY/NJ area in the 70's and 80's would know about the Uncle Floyd Show. I was really young and this is only a vague memory... I mean I just remember a kookie old guy in flannel suit and talking to puppets, but he had a number of musical guests like the Ramones, Chubby Checker, Cyndi Lauper and a bunch of others I can't remember in the least and can only hear rumor of on the internet. And also unfortunately, most of the band appearances are unavailable on video. I also read that the humor (I can't remember back to when I was 3!) was aimed more towards adults rather than being purely a kids show, kinda like the original Pee Wee Herman show.

Another show that's supposedly a kids show but gained an adult following is Do Not Adjust Your Set where a number of Monty Python members got their start. Oddly enough I had never seen it until I came to Japan! The show regularly featured the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, here's a vid where they cover the Monster Mash:

• August 13, 2011 9:07 AM CDT
    • Thanx Sleazy...and that's Ron in the background crunching out killer riffs!

sleazy said:

Highly COOL pic :):):)

whatwave dave said:

Destroy All Monsters morphed into Dark Carnival, with Ron Asheton on guitar and his brother Scott on the drums....here's Niagara picking butts off the stage of Call The Office in London Ontario 10/12/90. Yes, they were loud, but it was more than worth it to meet a coupla Stooges and Niagara. Picture is from the Whatwave Archives.

• August 13, 2011 6:00 AM CDT
    • But Niagara's vocals were the perfect combo with Ron's axe work :):):=)

Rev Velveteen Sly said:

Actually, I revere them more for the participation of Ron Asheton [THE STOOGES] & Michael Davis [MC5] as well as Jim Shaw [R.I.P. 2010, from cancer.]   Niagara was a beautiful, slender groupie who lived thru all the drugs, made it to lead singer status, and now creates some cool lowbrow art as well [check it out at http://www.niagaradetroit.com/]  One time in the 80's I went to see them at the Pretzel Bowl in downtown Detroit...I think I lost 20% of my hearing that night just from the freakin' soundcheck.  That band could certainly fill any room with glorious noise!

• August 13, 2011 5:59 AM CDT
    • Highly COOL pic :):):)

whatwave dave said:

Destroy All Monsters morphed into Dark Carnival, with Ron Asheton on guitar and his brother Scott on the drums....here's Niagara picking butts off the stage of Call The Office in London Ontario 10/12/90. Yes, they were loud, but it was more than worth it to meet a coupla Stooges and Niagara. Picture is from the Whatwave Archives.

• August 13, 2011 8:52 AM CDT
    • Just a short list here...

Hey Joe

Louie, Louie

Money (That's What I Want)

I'm a Man

Wine, Wine, Wine

Route 66

Dirty Robber

Roll Over Beethoven

What a Way to Die

Stolen Moments

Unchain My Heart

In the Midnight Hour

Johnny B. Goode

Shake, Rattle, & Roll

You Really Got Me

Til the End of the Day

Jenny, Jenny

Long Tall Sally

Skinny Minnie

Wipe Out

Gloria

Little Latin Lupe Lu

Hang on Sloopy

House of the Rising Sun

Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White

I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone

Walk Don't Run

Pipeline

Miserlou

Rumble

Hanky Panky

Shakin' All Over

Walkin the Dog

Not Fade Away

Ooh Poo Pa Doo

Shake A Tail Feather

Summertime Blues

Mojo Workout

California Sun

Who Do You Love

Bald Headed Woman

I Can Only Give You Everything

Land of 1,000 Dances

Shake a Tail Feather

Smokestack Lightning

Train Kept a Rollin'

Bald Headed Woman

Bo Diddley

Come On Up

House of the Rising Sun

Little Black Egg

My Generation

Unchain My Heart

My Flash on You

80-96

• August 13, 2011 1:51 AM CDT
    • Show #336: "The 100th Eggman Collection Special: The Top 100 Of The First 100, Part 2" playlist:

Stackridge - "Syracuse The Elephant"
      The Attack - "Strange House"
      International Harvester - "It's Only Love/Klockan Ar Mycket Nu/Ut Till Vanster"
      The Pretty Things - "I See You/Well Of Destiny"
      We The People - "In The Past"
      Pure Jade Green - "Into The Sun"
      The Beatles - "Tomorrow Never Knows"
      Fairport Convention - "Tale In Hard Time"
      The Other Side - "Out My Light"
      Jake Holmes - "Leaves Never Break"
      Linn County - "Moon Food"
      Agitation Free - "Khan El Khalili/Malesch/Rucksturz"
      Gandalf - "Can You Travel In The Dark Alone"
      The Kinks - "Lazy Old Sun"
      Tinkerbell's Fairydust - "20-10"
      The Walker Brothers - "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore"
      Bobby Callender - "Raga Man"
      The Byrds - "Draft Morning"
      The Marbles - "Only One Woman"
      Road - "I'm Trying"
      The Pebble Episode - "Tripsy"
      The Montanas - "Together"
      The Bonzo Dog Band - "Slush"
      Dr. West's Medicine Show & Junk Band - "Jigsaw"
      The Monkees - "Porpoise Song (Theme From 'Head') [single version]"
      The Tropics - "As Time's Gone" -
      Lost Tribe - "Walk One Way"
      Fred - "A Love Song"
      Edge - "Seen Through The Eyes"
      Second Hand - "The World Will End Yesterday"
      Spectrum - "Mary You Are"
      Eternity's Children - "You Know I've Found A Way"
      Timothy Leary & Ash Ra Tempel - "Time: a. Timeship, b. Neuron, c. She"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/336.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/336.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live, listen to past shows, view playlists, etc…check out my website: http://eggmanrulez.com/ or wscafm.org Friday nights at 10pm EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• August 12, 2011 3:57 PM CDT
    • Show #336: "The 100th Eggman Collection Special: The Top 100 Of The First 100, Part 2"

Every 3 weeks I leave an open slot to do random themes and whatnot. This week I am celebrating the 100th Eggman Collection show on The Metaphysical Circus. If you've heard my show before, you probably already know that every three weeks I do a special series called The Eggman Collection, which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked for the past 20 years of my life. 15,000 songs in a big mixing bowl that I randomly draw out one by one and play in no particular order. If I like it, I play it, with no repeats of the same song ever. The last Eggman Collection show was the 100th installment, and this week I'm celebrating with the top 100 of the first 100 shows. I'll be playing all my VERY favorites of the first 100 shows in no particular order in a three week span. A three part show, so keep tuning in! Tune in tonight to hear the next 33 songs of the top 100 by bands & artists like: Stackridge, The Attack, International Harvester, The Pretty Things, We The People, The Beatles, Fairport Convention, Jake Holmes, Agitation Free, Gandalf, The Kinks, Bobby Callender, The Byrds, Road, The Bonzo Dog Band, The Monkees, The Tropics, Lost Tribe, Second Hand, Spectrum, Eternity's Children, Timothy Leary & Ash Ra Tempel, and many many more!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live, listen to past shows, view playlists, etc…check out my website: http://eggmanrulez.com/ or wscafm.org Friday nights at 10pm EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• August 12, 2011 9:09 PM CDT
    • The Atlantic has an interesting essay on fiction and trying to avoid writing "what you know": http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/08/don-rsquo-t-write-what-you-know/8576/

What do you guys think? You always hear people say "write what you know", especially in the more old-fashioned genre's like country & western. But do you ever really write autobiographical songs? I think writing what you know means staring with something you've been thinking about, but get creative from there. I use my experiences to add detail and structure to writing, but I try hard to mine old songs, stories, and maybe catch phrases and ideas and write them on bar napkins to work into songs I've got going.

• August 12, 2011 8:45 PM CDT
    • Greil Marcus has some great stories about Harmonica Frank and the Sun Records days in Mystery Train: Images of America in Rock 'n' Roll Music.

• August 12, 2011 7:22 PM CDT
    • KING AUTOMATIC IS THE BEST ONE MAN BAND!!!!!

• August 12, 2011 7:07 PM CDT
    • Any of the box sets Estrus put out. Crack a beer, and get crazy!!! Dave Crider just had an ear for good music. These all stand the test of time as fantastic comps.

The Lunch Bucket

7" Combo Deluxe Pizza Box

Half Rack

Gearbox

Cocktail Companion

Any of the Romulan Records comps. What a great label. I bought everything they put out, you couldn't go wrong. The surf stuff was so reverb-drenched, water would drip out of your speakers. And a series where every song was about food? Forget about it!!! 

Girls in the Garage

Frolic Diner

Surfer's Mood

The Surf Creature

Beat on the Krauts 

Real Gone Garbage

Diana's Rootin' Tootin' Wild Teenage Rock 'n' Roll Party!

All 3 Volumes of Rat Music For Rat People. Really well put together comps. The first one has some of the best recordings of D.O.A., Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, Flipper, T.S.O.L., and Bad Brains you've ever heard, and the shit was LIVE!!! Man, I wish I could have been at the Elite Club in San Francisco back in the early 80's for these shows. Wow!!!  

The Killed By Death comps. Although some of the stuff should have remained lost forever.

All 8 Volumes of The Big Itch. Crazy stuff, guaranteed to piss off anyone not into garage rock 

All 3 volumes of The Flipside Vinyl Fanzine. The soundtrack to skateboarding!!!

The Garage Punk Unknowns Box Set Vol.1-4, and Vol.8. Very much like the Back From the Grave comps, and they're on Crypt Records, but nobody has mentioned them yet. Friggin' Stellar!!! 

Punk And Disorderly Vol.1. Back in the day, if you bought this new, it blew your fucking mind! The grooves on mine are almost completely worn through.  

NARDCORE. My favorite 80's hardcore punk comp!!! Well that, and Welcome to 1984, the awesome Maximum Rock n Roll comp (I never knew bands could play that fast...Wow!!!)

Dance Craze. I know it's not punk or garage, but what an influential album for me. Back in the 80's, if you were into punk, you were probably into ska too. And it remains one of my favorite live albums of all time.

Drink Beer! Yell! Dance! Midwest Teen Band Frat and Garage Stompers 1961-1966!! If you do not  have this record, I feel sorry for you. The only LP put out by Deke Dickerson on his Ecco-Fonic label (everything else was a 7"). It is simply a PARTY on wax, plain and simple. Search it out, no matter what it takes. It, honestly, is that good!!!