Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 27, 2013 10:29 PM CDT
    • haha...right? i started this homework assignment in 1977 & it took me a good decade to find out what you can find out in about 10 minutes nowadays...how can we explain THAT??

John Battles said:

Yeah , I mentioned that , earlier. There's no mistaking , if you hear "Bust Out" by The Busters , that it's the skeleton for "I'm Cramped".   'Psychotic Reaction" by The Count Five .....Well , it influenced "Psychotic Reaction" by The Cramps....Hello ? Is this thing on?  Wow .Tough crowd.

• March 27, 2013 10:01 PM CDT
    • Yeah! Sure!!! and especially the older one!! They may have a little bit more to tell! ;)

dave said:

We need punks of all ages.

• March 27, 2013 8:12 PM CDT
    • One of my friend's kids is rebelling by shutting out music , completely. I did'nt mean kids should be imitating their parent's "cool" friends , but , they might learn from them.....There's a LOT more access to media than when I was getting into this stuff. When I first saw my little Godchild jumping around the room , happily , to The Ramones , at age 2 , this old Grinch's heart grew to three times it's normal size. That NEVER would have happened when The Ramones were in their heyday , or , if it did , no one alerted the media. 

Andy Climax said:

Yer right. monkey see monkey do! As long as there's a steady stream of cool movies, groovies an tv. As Mr Daltrey said... 'The Kids are Alriiight!' I do worry however about the rebellion years. What will our kids do to rebel??? We had Punk, Goth, Grunge (decent) Hip Hop and Rap, etc. Will they Become Chartered Accountants or worse... POLITICIANS? Aaaaaaaargh! who'd be an adult? I'm off to listen to 'Angry Young Them' Van the Man will guide us! haha

• March 27, 2013 6:12 PM CDT
    • There is no cut off. We have a duty to keep on going. We are the generation that wanted rebellion and individuality. That's not restricted to a certain age group. As long as the hairs on the back of my neck keep indicating to continue I'm there.

• March 27, 2013 5:01 PM CDT
    • Alex P Keaton!

• March 27, 2013 4:54 PM CDT
    • Yer right. monkey see monkey do! As long as there's a steady stream of cool movies, groovies an tv. As Mr Daltrey said... 'The Kids are Alriiight!' I do worry however about the rebellion years. What will our kids do to rebel??? We had Punk, Goth, Grunge (decent) Hip Hop and Rap, etc. Will they Become Chartered Accountants or worse... POLITICIANS? Aaaaaaaargh! who'd be an adult? I'm off to listen to 'Angry Young Them' Van the Man will guide us! haha

• March 27, 2013 4:46 PM CDT
    • Jane , I don't see any contradiction , there. Who has a right to question what you do in your own time , especially when it's constructive ? Kids should be exposed to some cool "Grownups" ANYWAY.  iT DOES MY HEART GOOD TO SEE THEM GET EXCITED ABOUT MUSIC.

• March 27, 2013 4:01 PM CDT
    • I think a cutoff age is the opposite of rock and roll. This conversation cracks me up. I've gotten heat from friends, family, and professional peers for simultaneously being a dedicated mom and successful "career woman" (what a stupid fucking phrase) and yet still booking shows, staying up late on work nights, spending most of my disposable income on music, and providing food and accommodations for touring bands. Haters gonna hate. 

• March 27, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
    • I saw him last year walking down 6th ave. Chuck Taylors, jeans, Motorcycle jacket... a true Ramone. Then again at another show he looked like a grunge renegade from 1991. 

John Battles said:

Check out the man in your icon photo. The one time I saw Kim Fowley , which was only 10 years ago , his 6 foot , 10th floor frame was draped in shimmering suits , one gold , one red , and the other multicolour - striped , probably hand - tailored in Lagos or somewhere.

I don't know who else could have worn those suits , now that Johnny Thunders is no longer with us.

• March 27, 2013 3:15 PM CDT
    • Word! Stay tru Til Death

Gringo Starr said:

"What and when, in anyone's humble opinion, is the cut off age to this kinda behaviour"

NEVER.

• March 27, 2013 8:40 PM CDT
    • Wow, that's really cool. I really miss the Dr. Demento show. I discovered it in the fall of '84 after going off to college where I could pick up a radio station from KC that was playing it every week (it wasn't on the air in St. Louis). That show turned me onto so much great, weird shit.

Glenn Peart said:

I was listening to the Dr. Demento show on KMET, Los Angeles back in 1977. He was doing a 'Tribute to England' show playing comedy songs, but the last song he played was the Sex Pistols doing 'God Save the Queen'. I went out immediately and bought the import album on Virgin, since it had not been released in the U.S. on Warner Bros. yet. Right after that, I found the 'Rodney on the Roq' radio show on KROQ and starting listening every Sunday night at 9:00. I was lucky to have lived in LA at the time, since the scene there was an important one in the history of punk rock.

• March 27, 2013 8:29 PM CDT
    • That's a great band Andy!

The Coathangers

• March 27, 2013 6:27 PM CDT
    • New band making big noise over here. Live show is amazing. Album out soon. check'em out!

• March 27, 2013 4:47 PM CDT
    • Don't know if you know them already but Shannon and the Clams are great. 

• March 27, 2013 4:33 PM CDT
    • Have y'tried the Lunachicks and Die Cheerleader yet?

• March 27, 2013 8:15 PM CDT
    • Did you see The Feelgoods with Gypie Mayo?

Pete English said:

The first show I saw was also the first show I worked as local crew. It was New Model Army in the International Club,Manchester,UK in 1985 or 1986. The first punk gig I paid to see was Conflict in the Mermaid Club in Birmingham UK. And the best show would have to be James Brown in Anaheim,California. Or Doctor Feelgood in the late 80s,any year. Or The Cramps at any gig. Or Nirvana in Manchester in the early 90s. Or Beastie Boys on the License To Ill Tour. Or Public Enemy in late 80s early90s. The list could go on and on. Too many amazing gigs.

• March 27, 2013 6:56 PM CDT
    • The first show I saw was also the first show I worked as local crew. It was New Model Army in the International Club,Manchester,UK in 1985 or 1986. The first punk gig I paid to see was Conflict in the Mermaid Club in Birmingham UK. And the best show would have to be James Brown in Anaheim,California. Or Doctor Feelgood in the late 80s,any year. Or The Cramps at any gig. Or Nirvana in Manchester in the early 90s. Or Beastie Boys on the License To Ill Tour. Or Public Enemy in late 80s early90s. The list could go on and on. Too many amazing gigs.

• March 27, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
    • Circle jerks/ Bad Brains/ Leeway and Vernon Reid's Living Color @ club 1018 July of 1987 for CMJ

• March 27, 2013 6:51 PM CDT
    • Debut album out soon. Gnarly!!!

• March 27, 2013 5:05 PM CDT
    • Just heard the new album. Lovely

• March 27, 2013 4:58 PM CDT
    •  i NEVER THOUGHT IT WAS SO BAD , AS THESE THINGS GO. THE UNBELIEVABLY PRETENTIOUS "PUNK'' VENUE , EXIT , WAS PLAYING MOSTLY WAX TRAX , HOUSE MUSIC , THE CURE , SIOUXSIE , SMITHS , STUFF LIKE THAT , BY THE LATE 80'S. Sure , I went there , it was one of the only places w/o a cover charge. I thought it would have been fun to sneak this in with the other drek. Sure , they'd play SOMETHING good , but , you may have had to wait all night. They relocated about 20 years ago , and were caught up in the Macho Punk vibe for years , and , for $5 , you could go in and see nothing happen , too. I hear they're playing House music , again.

• March 27, 2013 5:12 PM CDT
    • Slovenly has some awesome stuff.  Dionysis is still going strong but I don't think they do 45's unless you want to split the cost.

• March 27, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
    • The Trip!  March 27 Show!  

Listen here!  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130324-0030-t13640...

The setlist! 

HERMAN MUNSTER - HERMAN MUNSTER READS 
      THE EBONETTES - WILD MAN WALK  
      THEM - BABY PLEASE DON'T GO 
      THEM BELFAST GYPSIES - HEY GYP!
      THE KEGGS - TO FIND OUT 
      BLOODSHOT BILL & THE HUBCAPS- SEX ON THE METRO 
      SHADOWY MEN ON A SHADOWY PLANET- ZOMBIE COMPROMISE 
      THE TEMPOS - MONKEY DO 
      ROD MCKUEN - CO-EXISTANCE
      THE RAMONES - WE WANT THE AIRWAVES 
      THE GUN CLUB - BAD INDIAN