Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 2, 2012 1:03 AM CDT
    •  Oh , yeah , I saw Death of Samantha , once , but , that was in the very late 80's. I never associated them with the early days  of Cle Punk , but , maybe I'm missing something....

• June 2, 2012 1:02 AM CDT
    • ....I've seen the remake/remodel Rockets , Cheetah Chrome , Styrenes (With ex - Mirrors , Eels and Pagans) , David Thomas with Allen Ravenstein , Tony Maimone and (then) yet - to - join Pere Ubu , the late Jim Jones , and I even played in former Electric Eel , Brian McMahon's , backing band , Das Volt , but, somehow , I have never seen Pere Ubu. It was'nt personal. 

• June 2, 2012 12:46 AM CDT
    • WHAT HAPPENED (i'M JUST NOW SEEING THIS , I REALIZE IT WAS WRITTEN FOUR YEARS AGO.) WAS , THAT U.S.TOUR WAS CANCELLED BECAUSE THE WIVES OF TWO MEMBERS OF THE PRETTY THINGS WERE EXTREMELY , ALMOST FATALLY , ILL , AND , UNDERSTANDABLY , THEY DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE THEIR WIVES ALONE. THEIR SUPER KILLER OPENING ACT , ARTHUR BROWN , ALSO OPTED NOT TO DO THE TOUR , BECAUSE HIS MULTI - INSTRUMENTALIST , ONE MAN BACKING BAND, CONTRACTED A VERY BAD STOMACH OR INTESTINAL INFECTION , AND BROWN WOULD NOT TOUR WITHOUT HIM.

THE WHOLE TOUR WAS CANCELLED , AT GREAT COST , FINANCIALLY. IT WAS , AND , PERHAPS , STILL IS , HOPED THAT IT WOULD BE RESCHEDULED AT A (MUCH) LATER DATE.

I SAW THE PRETTIES ON THE "RAGE BEFORE BEAUTY" TOUR (Ca. 1999?) , THEY KILLED. COVERING MATERIAL FROM THE FIRST TWO LPS , "S.F.SORROW" (It was the S.F. Sorrow lineup , barring Twink.) , and later , as well as new material. My friend saw the same tour in Seattle , and said it was just as good. I've also seen the Pretty Things Yardbirds Blues Band (Dick Taylor and Phil May from The Pretties , Jim McCarty from The Yardbirds , (The Late) Bill Hite from Canned Heat (Bob Hite's Brother.) , and Chicago Blues Guitarist , Studebaker John. They played in Chicago in '91 and '93. Both shows were great. The Pretty Things are playing , now , with a drastically altered lineup , but , it's hard to believe they could'nt still cut the mustard with Dick Taylor and Phil May  on board.

• June 1, 2012 9:22 PM CDT
    • Download or stream the entire June 1 show right here.

40lb. Block of Cheese – Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
      No Butter for My Bread – The Oblivians
      Dairy Queen – The Dwarves
      Milk Cow Blues – Dead Moon
      Milk Intrigue – Curlee Wurlee
      Ice Cream Song – The Dynamics

Bar B Q – Wendy Rene
      High Flying Wine – Inflammable Dan & the Igniters
      Bad Girl – The Riviares
      Poison Ivy (live) – Midwest Beat
      Bring It (On Home to Me) – The Psyched

He Looks Like a Psycho – The Electric Mess
      Cry Baby – Spanking Charlene
      Not Your Little Girl – Vicky & the Vengents
      I’ll Be Gone – Thee Vicars
      Listen While I – Creatures of the Golden Dawn

If It’s Catchy, It Means You Stole It – The Sneeze
      Shaky City (live) – The Plimsouls

Local Lunchbox
      Off the Mark – Certain Stars
      Mad is the Man – Goodnight Loving
      Don’t it Feel Fine – Midnight Reruns
      Did You Ever – Sugar Stems

Some Advice to a Fellow Collector – Million Sellers
      Baby’s Got a Gun – T. Tex Edwards
      Where the Rio De Rosa Flows – Tav Falco’s Panther Burns
      Right out the Door- Bloodshot Bill
      Meltdown Stomp – The Meltdowns

Outta the Dark – The Golden Boys
      Whoever Brought Me Here Will Have to Take Me Home – Hell Shovel
      Bunny Slipper – Strange Hands
      Hurdy Gurdy Man – Butthole Surfers
      This Town is Dead – La Bastard
      Typically Strange – Cheap Time
      Hey Little Girl – Natural Child

What U Are – Laughing Sky
      Down to the Bottom – Baby Woodrose
      Way It’s Gonna Be – The Cynics
      Corn Likker – The Phantom Keys
      I Wanna Feel Something Now – The Master Plan
      Fire Up – Dynamite Pussy Club

Modern Cinderella – The Cry
      Lonely & Blue – 60 Second Swingers
      It’s Just Not the Same – The Smoggers
      Don’t Cry – Creeping Ivies
      Outsider – Mary’s Kids

Status Quo (Oh No) – Estrogen Highs
      Uncontrollable Urge (live) – Devo
      Boomerenga – Guantanamo Baywatch
      Jungle Cruise – Thee Makeout Party
      Billy the Monster – Jeff Pope
      500lb. Bad Ass – Chief Fuzzer
      Turn Me Loose – Midnight Wolf

• June 1, 2012 4:27 PM CDT
    • Hey guys,

I'm Gio, a 21 year old student in NYC. I was born in Lima, Peru and recently discovered the country's huge garage rock scene (Los Saicos, Los Yorks, etc). I've been into garage for a few years now, with some of my favorite bands being Reigning Sound, The Gories, Jay Reatard and The Remains (feel free to add me on Last.fm!).

I've been playing guitar for a while now and would love to start up a band if anyone in the NY/NJ area is interested. I also recently started a online magazine, which I'm trying to expand and create more content for, so check it out: Mr. Lee Magazine

I'm currently on vacation in Lima, but I look forward to posting more regularly and meeting some of you once I'm back home. 

• June 1, 2012 4:10 PM CDT
    • not in relation to facebook and getting booked, which appears to be the original moan of this thread ...  FB has helped me a lot getting into the local music scene through snowball method, it's the virtual word of mouth, and in return has helped the bands I go to see.

I moved down just over 3 years ago for a job and without a clue what was going on. A new friend suggested I go and see one specific band, I liked them on FB, hence get invited to their next gig where I found out about two other bands. Go home find their FB page and if I enjoyed the gig like them on FB, get invited to gigs etc. A lot of bands over here put on gigs mostly for fun, playing their songs and hanging out together, not for fame or money. As some of them would not exist for longer than a couple of years building a professional website would be waste of effort. They stay together, split up, reform and, as mentioned above FB helps with the whole DIY thing together with soundcloud or bandcamp where many of them promote/sell their EPs.

Alternatively, just have a personal page on FB (ie band is represented by one person rather than a band page) link this up to your proper band page and befriend all your fans/groupies on FB. They have the benefit of getting invited to gigs, receiving updates from a friend but you can still use your proper page for promotion.

I agree that FB is going down the drain but it still is a tool that you need to decide how you use it. If it's not for you, don't use it and stop moaning. Music was made before the internet took over.

PS, sorry, I may suffer from a bit from sleep deprivation at the moment but I just don't like moaners ;)

• June 1, 2012 2:52 PM CDT
    • I've never once been on Facebook. I go to shows, play shows, parties, buy records....whatever. I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not being on Facebook. I don't have anything against it. Everybody I know is on it. I guess I just never got around to joining and probably never will. My band may be on it, but I'm quite sure it's not. I know our drummer is on it, so maybe he did something? ... anyway, I would say no, it's not killing music?

• June 1, 2012 6:59 AM CDT
    • I don't Think Facebook makes a difference. I never use Facebook to find out more about a band or pay attention to there "likes". I think word of mouth is key. If you are good live people will here and want to see you play and Ya got get to music out to them. Maybe Facebook is good of that? I don't know. Maybe I'm just old school? Or just old? Haha

• June 1, 2012 3:58 PM CDT
    • loving this. thank you people

• June 1, 2012 9:09 AM CDT
    • Bandcamp is hit and miss but the tags are usually helpful. If you like GSMD, you might also want to check out the Cosmic Dead (http://thecosmicdead.bandcamp.com/).

Axel Björnsson said:

I know about gsmd great stuff. yeah I have never got into bandcamp. maybe I should check it out more.

Dead Man said:

I've been surprised at how many good bands I've discovered on Bandcamp. If you haven't already, check out The Spyrals, Great Society Mind Destroyers, Magic Shoppe, and Radar Eyes.

• June 1, 2012 7:40 AM CDT
    • I've recently heard  Catl - Soon This Will All Be Gone(2012). Amazing juke-joint blues from Toronto.

• June 1, 2012 2:42 PM CDT
    • Let's keep this topic about Sweden, guys. Not Norway, Finland, Denmark, etc. Thanks!

• June 1, 2012 3:02 PM CDT
    • Unfortunately we are having turntable issues, so although we prefer it as a format, we won't be able to play as soon as we'd like so CD is preferred.  Cheers!

• June 1, 2012 2:56 PM CDT
    • Do you cats accept vinyl submissions too?

BLACKCAT69 said:

Bands! Send a snail mail CD to us: CJAM 99.1 FM, Room B-20 c/o The Trip! 401 Sunset Ave. Windsor, Ontario N9B 3P4

• June 1, 2012 1:58 PM CDT
    • Bands! Send a snail mail CD to us: CJAM 99.1 FM, Room B-20 c/o The Trip! 401 Sunset Ave. Windsor, Ontario N9B 3P4

• June 1, 2012 2:03 PM CDT
    • Nice playlist!!!!!  Crash 80's!!!!

• June 1, 2012 2:01 PM CDT
    • Minstrels!!!!!  I've heard of them.....didn't they have a record on that what wave label?? See ya next thursday!

• June 1, 2012 1:38 PM CDT
    • Show #376: "The Eggman Collection #114"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 114th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Mountain, The Motions, The Human Expression, George Harrison, The Loose Enz, Country Joe & The Fish, The Monkees, David Hemmings, The Whyte Boots, Spirogyra, Slapp Happy, The Rolling Stones, McGuinness Flint, Euphoria's Id, The Idle Race, MC5, Area, Strawbs, String Driven Thing, Rhys Chatham, Can, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• June 1, 2012 7:14 AM CDT
    • SFTRI, Estrus and Empty definitely! I recall, also, Dog Meat from Australia was good one.

• May 31, 2012 7:12 PM CDT
    • Face-Eating Contest